Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 11:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review

Nice car with some really well shot photos. Not to mention the work you put in to make it even better with your DIYs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
First gear tops out at 60Kmph at 6700RPM redline...
Does the 1st really go till 60 ? If so, that's pretty impressive.

We have a 2007 ZXi with the same G13B engine & in the initial years I used to revv it through the lower gears, but never really checked the top speed in each gear.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 11:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Nice car with some really well shot photos. Not to mention the work you put in to make it even better with your DIYs.
Thankyou for those kind words supremeBaleno. I really enjoy DIYs on this car. I generally try to keep it in the top most shape. I generally tend to do the work one by one and not all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Does the 1st really go till 60 ? If so, that's pretty impressive.

We have a 2007 ZXi with the same G13B engine & in the initial years I used to revv it through the lower gears, but never really checked the top speed in each gear.
Yes, First gear tops at 60kmph, Second at 105kmph and third at 160kmph . I personally have only tested the first two gears till redline. I generally do not drive above 110kmph as the road conditions are not satisfactory.

Hold on to that beautiful Gem for as long as possible and Enjoy every rev of it.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 00:02   #48
BHPian

Re: Fender Badges

Hi Ashton,
As discussed, kindly follow the below link to see some snaps of Swifts' with the VVT fender badging around,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...tml#post185053 (Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.)
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 00:08   #49
BHPian

Re: Fender Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Hi Ashton,
As discussed, kindly follow the below link to see some snaps of Swifts' with the VVT fender badging around,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...tml#post185053 (Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.)
Yes , But since my Engine is the G13BB it never got VVT hence I stayed away from sticking that badge. Instead I could go ahead and stick the 1.3L badge from the Esteem/1000 which got the same engine which my Swift is running.

Name- EMBLEM SIDE 13L
Part number- 77841M60B00
Price- ₹45
Link

The K12M Engine got VVT hence few cars got it like Ritz, 2nd Gen Swift,3rd Gen Swift, SX4 and so on.

Looking forward to see great snaps of your Azure Grey Swift VDi

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 13:51   #50
BHPian

Last time when I drove a G13BB Swift, the second gear topped at almost 110 kmph.
TurboKat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 21:22   #51
BHPian

Enjoyed reading your ownership and mods. Inspired me to do the same to my Baleno as well!

Your car looks in great shape. I wish I could maintain mine as well as yours!
lxskllr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 22:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Enjoyed reading your ownership and mods. Inspired me to do the same to my Baleno as well!

Your car looks in great shape. I wish I could maintain mine as well as yours!
Thankyou for the kind words lxskllr! It's through the DIY's I have learnt a lot and developed a bond with the car. Will be updating this thread in few days.

Curious to see your Baleno, Do post photos of the same. Hold on to it as long as possible

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 23:29   #53
BHPian

1. Installing JDM(Japanese Domestic Market) Swift Clock Monitor

The International Swift came with a Monitor that displays Time, Ambient Temperature and also the Fuel Efficiency ( Instantaneous and also Average Fuel Efficiency).

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-jdm-clock.jpg

I went through another Forum where a member had installed this in his Swift which was PKDM(Pakistan Domestic Market) running a M13A Engine and it had a basic clock which displayed only Time. Lucky for him he did not have to swap the BCM for it to read and display Ambient temperature on the JDM Monitor. He only had to install the Ambient temperature sensor and put the pins into the BCM and install the JDM Monitor.

Link to the thread mentioned

Now coming to my case, since my car's BCM was swapped to the ZXi meaning it can read the ambient temperature readings and was displaying the temperature on the Dzire Monitor which was already installed last year along with the ambient temperature sensor in the front bumper, I need not add anything new. Swap the Dzire clock with the JDM Monitor and you should be good to go.

Getting the clock was the hardest part, A far off relative of mine was moving out of Japan and I had requested him to source the part to me when flying down. Luckily he managed to do so. The price for the JDM clock was exorbitant. The day I received the JDM Monitor, I ran downstairs to my parking lot to plug it in and test it out. I plugged it in and it showed the time, Ambient temperature and also -.-KMPL Fuel efficiency since the car was stationary.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pxl_20220924_184015893.jpg
JDM Monitor vs Dzire Monitor

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pxl_20220924_183837810.jpg
Part number of the JDM Monitor

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-..png
Monitor when car is stationary (G13B Engine)

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pxl_20220925_111841328.jpg
A Perfect Fit !

But to my dismay, the instantaneous fuel efficiency when the car was moving was 0.0KMPL. Since no one has tried this here in India on the G13B Swift, I was shooting in the dark and had to figure out on my own why the fuel efficiency was not displayed. After a lot of scouting the internet and Service manual of both the Swift G13B and International Swift, I realised why it was not displayed. The G13B uses a Cable operated Throttle Body and there is no actuator for the throttle body unlike the Petrol K12M and D13A Diesel Swifts. The Fuel efficiency is calculated based on Engine Load, Accelerator pedal input, Vehicle speed and Engine speed from the BCM via CANBUS.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-0.0.png
Monitor not displaying fuel efficiency when car is in motion (G13B Engine)

My car was not providing the Accelerator input percentage to the BCM through the ECU hence the Monitor detects the vehicle is moving but doesn't have the required parameters to Calculate fuel efficiency. Yes, the G13B ECU is very old school. Unhappy I went to bed but was adamant to see this Monitor display fuel efficiency. Next day I asked my neighbour for his Swift Dzire VDi and tested the JDM Monitor on his car. Swapped his Monitor with the JDM Monitor and THE DARN THING SHOWED FUEL EFFICIENCY !!!!

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-dzire.png
JDM Monitor on a Dzire VDi

The next week I wanted to verify this on a K12M engine, I borrowed my Uncle's 2010 Dzire K12M and it worked in that as well !

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-k12m.png
JDM Monitor on a K12M Dzire VXi

So now it was confirmed that this Monitor works perfectly in the K12M and D13A engine but not the G13B. Lucky for me, I found a caring owner and gave the JDM Monitor to a good friend and BHPian eccentric who will be using it in his 2009 Swift VDi.

Sharing a Photo of my car's interior when I had plonked in the JDM Monitor.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pxl_20221003_184704901.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 17th February 2023 at 23:56.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:02   #54
BHPian

Small Part added from the Maruti Parts Bin !

I noticed in the Glanza that on the brake fluid reservoir there is a small filter to prevent dirt and debris from entering into the reservoir. Scouted on boodmo for this part but was not sure if the sizes are the same. Placed order for it anyways during free delivery.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-filter.png

Name:FILTER
Part Number: 51240M67LA0
Link:
Price:₹75

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20230327_081557536.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20230327_081524184.jpg

Installed it on the swift without any issues, A Direct Fit !

Speedometer Issues
First generation of Swift/Dzire is notorious for having speedometer issues. few of the issues would be
  • continuous clicking of the dials when the car is put to ignition
  • Slight glowing Check-Engine Light even with engine off
  • Faulty Temperature Gauge

I Myself have seen atleast 6 Swifts/Dzires with the above issues. My car is no exception. I'm facing the Slight glowing Check-Engine Light issue, It glows slightly at ALL TIMES. Took it to MASS and they straight up told to replace the Speedometer. I also noticed it was mentioned in the service history about this issue.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-history.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pxl_20221009_105103037.jpg
Notice the slight glowing Check-Engine Light

Another issue which is face once in a blue moon is the temperature gauge acts weirdly. It goes upto the H mark and then stays there.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20211019_132907.jpg

When I turn off the car it rests at the Half mark, If it turn the ignition on again, it stutters and comes all the way down to the C mark and then goes back up to the engines true temperature reading. Weird !

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pxl_20220917_140856381.jpg
Notice both the issues mentioned above in this photo

Anyways I've managed to make peace with it since it hasn't created a very big issue so I've left it as it is.

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 27th March 2023 at 11:04.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 13:30   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
*continuous clicking of the dials when the car is put to ignition
*Slight glowing Check-Engine Light even with engine off
*Faulty Temperature Gauge

Another issue which I face once in a blue moon is the temperature gauge; it goes upto the H mark and then stays there. When I turn off the car it rests at the Half mark, If it turn the ignition on again, it stutters and comes all the way down to the C mark and then goes back up to the engines true temperature reading. Anyways I've managed to make peace with it since it hasn't created a very big issue so I've left it as it is.
You need to get to the root of this issue Ashton. The temperature gauge is a vital instrument and cannot be left to behave as it pleases. This is as good as running the car without a console. It looks to be a signal/supply issue. Please have the dry points soldered and the coupler pins cleaned/ checked.
vigsom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 09:46   #56
BHPian

Few more Add-ons to the Swift

• Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

A friend of mine recommended getting TPMS since I do a lot of drives and in these times it is crucial to have TPMS which displays tyre pressure in real time and warns of abnormal or sudden changes in tyre pressure.

Finally bit the bullet and got a economical one from this seller named SKYSHOP. LINK. My friend Ashish had recommended getting TPMS from the above seller since he has had good support for the TPMS. Got the Internal Sensors Set of 5 and it arrived in 5 days.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tpms-display.jpg
Seller called me and instructed on how to go about the installation and pairing which was fairly easy. Took the car to my tyre guy in my town. Asked him to remove all the 5 tyres, one by one I installed the sensors and then made sure it popped up on the display one by one with accurate tyre pressure psi. Took the opportunity to rotate the tyres as mentioned in service manual and placed the TPMS Display on the Dashboard. Job well done and I was out in an Hour.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-fitting-tpms-car-lifted.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tpms-fitting.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tpms-reading.jpg

Been almost more than a year since I've been using this TPMS and its been an absolute Champ ! The pressure readings are off by just 1-2 PSi Max other than that no complaints. The Display was last charged with cable in 2022 Feb and till date hasn't required charging since it charges using the tiny solar panel on itself. It has helped quite a bit during long drives.

• Added Variable Intermittent Wiper Stalk

Got the S-Cross Wiper stalk from Boodmo and it arrived in 3 days flat. To match the symmetry, ordered a 2nd gen Swift Lighting Stalk from boodmo as well.

I ordered the Lighting Stalk from Minda and not MGP since Minda was slightly cheaper and had free delivery at that time.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-stalk-box.jpg

Name: SWITCH ASSY LIGHTING & TURN
Price: ₹610
Part Number: S12080-000M00
Link

Name: SWITCH ASSY, WIPER & WASHER
Price: ₹930
Part Number: 37310M74L40
Link

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-old-vs-new.jpg
New (Top) VS Old wiper stalk (bottom)

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-new-stalks.jpg
Both New Stalks

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-new-stalk-fit.jpg
Installed the Headlight Stalk

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-new-wiper-stalk-fit.jpg
Installed the new Wiper Stalk

The Two parts were a direct fit with no drama, looked superb compared to the outgoing stalks and also worked as expected. Dad too was missing the Variable Intermittent option on the swift since he used to always use it on his 2013 Toyota Rav4. Huge thanks to DBHPian Audioholic for this find !

Link to his Thread (DIY: Adding "variable intermittent wipers" to the Celerio & other Marutis)

• Replacing the License Plate Lamps
Ordered these from Boodmo and also picked up a pair "Super LEDs" for ₹80 to go with them.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-pbulbs.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-parking-light-display.jpg
The entire floor gets illuminated due to the powerful LED's. Absolute delight to the eyes.

Name: Super 2828 LED (Pair)
Link

Part number:35910M75J11
Price: ₹92
Link

• Finally Getting the Alloys
After adding the Beautiful spoiler, The itch for Alloys had started and I had made up my mind that it would be only OEM Alloys and nothing aftermarket. I absolutely loved the Type 1 Alloy wheels of the ZXi ( 2005-2007). Prices we're ranging about 12,000- 14,000 for a set of 4 on Facebook Marketplace and OLX.

A good friend of mine was selling his ZXi which wasn't in a top shape and wanted to sell it off. I asked him if I could exchange my rims with his alloys. He agreed ! It was a set of 5 alloys and the price was too good to pass on

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-donor-swap.jpg
Both the cars were taken to the shop to exchange the rims and refit them along with the TPMS Sensors on mine.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-alloy-fit.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-final-look-1.jpg
The looks of the swift after fitting the Alloys.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-zxi-twins.jpg
Signing off with a Photo with another ZXi

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 31st March 2023 at 09:51.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 15:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine recommended getting TPMS since I do a lot of drives and in these times it is crucial to have TPMS which displays tyre pressure in real time and warns of abnormal or sudden changes in tyre pressure.
How does one go about the tyre rotation? Do we have to recalibrate the system again?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 15:23   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How does one go about the tyre rotation? Do we have to recalibrate the system again?
Not sure about this system, but the Manatec or Schrader ones I have, you need to enter relearning mode, the display will show the sensor, say Front Left, you need to go there and deflate a bit. The system recognizes the location and beeps. Go through the entire circle and you are done.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 15:35   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Yes mine too has exactly the same way to swap the tyres how Leoshashi has mentioned above. I'll try to find the manual and post a picture here.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 20:07   #60
BHPian

Hey Ashton,

None of my business but just couldn't overlook that your from Manipal, are you a MAHE student by any chance (I'm a MAHE student myself), nonetheless it was nice reading a young ownership review, a gem of motor you have there, hold on to it and she will serve you well for years would love to catch up on campus always good to see a fellow bhpian and talk cars

Safe Motoring
Cheers
Cliff
Cliff9091 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks