Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2024, 12:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3

No news is good news as they say.

Further to my update, I got a bit fed up with Audi's lack of response regarding the procurement of parts for that errant door. I was waiting till January. In the meanwhile, I discovered CarMed*who did a spectacular job on the Mini Cooper.

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_0571.jpg

They promptly ordered the parts which were due in 10 days. In the meanwhile, we drove to Cochin to the Bienalle. Lucy gobbled up the miles and did not put a wheel wrong. Due to Fort Kochi's narrow roads, impatient Kerala drivers and her appalling turning circle, we switched to the Santro (the new version) for pottering around Fort Kochi.

Our return was marred by a truck sidesweeping the rear quarter. We felt a small nudge. Exchanged unpleasantries with the truck driver and drove on. I sent the car to CarMed as Audi would take their time. CarMed were able to sort out the rear wing.

Unfortunately, the PPF was affecting the paint which saw some cracking on the bonnet so I got the bonnet resprayed.

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_0554.jpg

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_0555.jpg

CarMed promptly sorted the car out in three weeks (they actually took a week but insurance formalities add to the time)

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_0685.jpg

We promptly drove to Hyderabad for my daughter's graduation. The AC proved most effective and of course, Lucy earned me a speeding ticket - got the notification 6 hours later. That highway is a little on the boring so all you want to do is get the journey over ASAP. Also, you need to keep your distance from those TS registered Creta's - suicidal.

Apart from that Lucy was used for mundane commuter use and airport drops. (Airport pickups - I used the Mini Cooper for early morning runs). During the May monsoons, took her on an overnight trip to Chennai via Chittoor. The monsoon conditions, highway diversions and curvy roads complemented her grippy chassis and you emerge fairly fresh after a drive.

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-photo20230916173527.jpg

We also visited Sakleshpur

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_1258.jpg

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_1341.jpg

I Love Lucy - My "Stolen" Audi Q3-img_1342.jpg

9 years and at 45000km, some creaks were setting in. I decided to invest in some preventative maintenance during her next service. Checked her into CarMed and got the following done
  • New suspension - struts and bushes
  • New front brake discs and pads
  • DSG gearbox service
  • Timing belt and water pump

This all set me back by Rs 120000. A lot? Well, it's one month's depreciation on a new one.

Any other issues

1: An ABS sensor failed - CarMed replaced in 10 min
2: The driver side one touch window switch stopped working. I needed to replace the entire cluster on the door. Audi wanted Rs 10000 for it. I lived with it and during a recent trip to the UK, picked up a salvage unit for 40 pounds.
3: The HSRP plates look rubbish compared to the original plates

One year on, we are at 52000 km. With the exception of a couple of trips to Kochi, most of my trips have been abroad. Lucy got serviced last week and all it cost me was Rs 18000 of which Rs 1200 was for replacing the window switch cluster.

As long as one invests in timely maintenance, costs are reasonable.

She's now 10 years old but barely 5 years young. With the arrival of the Elevate, I don't use Lucy for short runs but mainly to go to office or for longer rides hence her usage has dropped. My office moves to Mahadevpura shortly so commutes will become longer or none at all if I use the Metro.

Lucy is still the most comfortable, convenient car to return to. Thoughts of replacement are difficult choices. The Elevate is the better town car but pales in comparison for highway drives. Anyway, I don't need to make a decision for now.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th July 2024 at 14:45.
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 14:17   #17
BHPian

Lucy is looking beautiful. Noob question: Are Volkswagen parts shared across Audi models? Couldn't help but notice a lot of parts being reminiscent of VW.
Old 20th July 2024, 21:17   #18
BHPian

Love the Audi! Love the story! That diesel engine is an absolute legend, it should serve you well even past the 2.5L+ Km with the diligent service that you are carrying out! Personally, I also feel that this is a very mod worthy car, you might want to explain explore those options too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
Lucy is looking beautiful. Noob question: Are Volkswagen parts shared across Audi models? Couldn't help but notice a lot of parts being reminiscent of VW.
As for your question, the answer is yes sir! VAG or Volkswagen-Audi Group is the parent company, hence it makes most sense for them to have a shared parts bin. Even the older VWs in India, including the Polo and Vento have many shared parts e.g. seatbelt buckle which proudly sports VW and Audi (VAG Logo).
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks