Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2022, 19:56   #1
BHPian

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review

1-year ownership of Tata Tiago XT (P) - BS6 2021 model

This is my first naïve attempt at journaling my thoughts and our journey of getting home the first car. It’s going to be a lengthy one, so please sit back and read leisurely. Hope you enjoy reading about the journey (please ignore the errors, if any.)
I have been a silent specter of this forum for about 5 years now (for both cars and bikes - reviews and updates mainly), and glad to be a member of, for the past few months. Will try to keep this very centered around our journey and the entire experience of owning a car (and how we got there). Now that I have one, and spent some amount of time behind the wheels, I feel it's the right time to share our story with you all.

Prologue: (the decision-making phase)

I have been an avid biker since 2013 and love exploring on two-wheels(..now on FOUR, from ’21)! The covid pandemic has changed a lot in life. To begin with, the last few weeks of 2020 were spent in contemplation, sleepless nights, endless conversations with wifey, and finally with a heavy heart made the decision to bid farewell to our trusted steed the ‘BlackPearl’ (Bajaj Avenger Street 220 – 2016 model, ~57,000 km on the ODO). It was really a tough decision to make and bid farewell.
(Mods done include: top- box, Customised seat, mobile holder with charger, Windshield with black vinyl)

Here are few departing shots of BlackPearl :

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-nh8daman.jpg
a quick ride to Daman

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-igapturi.jpg
enroute Shirdi to seek Blessings from the Almighty!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-blrbom.jpg
Longest ever bike rider Mumbai-Bangalore..shot right before entering KA.

Name:  Muzhapilangaddrive in2.JPG
Views: 2921
Size:  45.1 KB
BlackPearl soaking in sea at Muzhappilangad, Kannur

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-kl.jpg
on the way to Munnar

Name:  yercaud.JPG
Views: 2874
Size:  130.5 KB
anniversary ride to Yercaud with Wifey

Name:  50k.JPG
Views: 2894
Size:  27.2 KB
Clocking in 50K mark on the odo!!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-waynad.jpg
anniversary ride to Wayanad with Wifey

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bpbgnvla.jpg
BlackPearl posing

While in 2020, we moved to the outskirts of the city and so the immediate requirement at hand was for a scooter/bike to run errands (given that we’re both working from office) and the other plan for me was to upgrade, not to another bike, but to a car instead. The thought was surprising to me as I was never into cars!
(PS: I did not know driving, so the first task was to learn it and get a license. Around Dussehra of 2020, I enrolled for car driving lessons with Maruti Suzuki Driving School, Yelahanka.)
My previous license was only for bike with gears, as the intention was to ride bikes. Plus in my family we never had a car of our own, and in Mumbai the need of personal car hardly existed for us. They say necessity is the mother of, I say, everything! With some free time at hand and with dynamics of life learning a new skill is always an advantage. Learning to drive a car has been on the top of the list, followed by swimming (some day, I guess!). It was only on 4th Jan’21 that I appeared for the driving license test and cleared it. While my spouse holds a license, she had hardly driven a car in the past decade, so next was to have her brush-up her skills (from the same school, and the same trainer).
We had started to consider used cars and new cars from Diwali 2020, with a 6-month timeline to zero-down on a car and then wait for right time/deal to close the hunt. In the interim, I spoke to lot of my friends to understand basics and figuring out the technicalities (I consider myself a noob on the technical parameters, and so needed even more help on it).
We looked at used car markets – Spinny, Team-BHP Classifieds, Olx, Facebook Markets, Dealership used cars as well, but nothing seemed to be of our liking to say ‘that’s the one’. Wifey was very inclined to have a brand-new car and not a used car. Moreover, a good car i.e. well maintained and less KMs was costing more or less 65-85% of a new car.

The Process:
The car would be my primary daily runner and weekend or at least once a month will be on the highways (though covid has made me even more finicky and I prefer to play safe bets in terms of going out. Since Feb’20 until now, the only proper trip we had was a week-long covering North & East Sikkim.)

One tick on the bucket list!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-old-silk-route.jpg
The famous: Old Silk Route

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-gurud.jpg
Yours Truly at Gurudongmar Lake

Our requirement for car was (in order of preference):
  • I have always taken my bike whenever, wherever I liked – I mean highways/off-roads/bad-roads. So, the first expectation was that the same can be continued. While I understand cars are a different ball game, I hope you understand the essence. The fun shall continue.
  • With the ever-increasing traffic, we decided to have a small car/Hatchback with at least 4-star safety rating
  • Budget: 7L on-road (not really keen to extend)
  • Manual transmission (somehow AMT did not really have us hooked)
  • Trusted brand (pref. Indian brand) with good A.S.S. and wide network of ASC + spares availability
  • (Ford’s exit Last year and current air around Honda, makes us realize the uncertainty of foreign brands)
  • Music system and speakers should be of good quality (though touch-screen infotainment is not a necessity)
  • Decently done interiors
  • Fuss-free ownership
  • Reliable and tested engine/car overall (again, not keen to invest on something new in the market)
  • First preference is for a new car, since it will be our first, and the goal was to bring home something that will be with us for at least next 5 years and take us places, we want to go without thinking much of “will it go there” but rather “it will go there”.

With all this in mind, here are few hatchbacks that we considered:
  • Tata Tiago (top preference, ticked most of the requirements. But the top-end model was over the budget).
  • Renault Kwid (off the list, due to no safety ratings and build quality)
  • MS Spresso/Celerio/Alto/Swift (off the list, as we learnt our lessons on Alto and Swift, the cars are good no doubt, but did not meet our expectations for calling it “the one”).
  • Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS/i20 (off the list, as I’m personally not really a fan of Hyundai)

After a lot of discussions with friends, watching reviews, reading forums like this, we narrowed down to the below two:
  • Tata Tiago – mid variant ie. XT (90% fit on the bill. The only thing missing: foglights, rear parking camera, rear windscreen wiper. But,yes, it very well suited our requirement)
  • MS Swift – base variant (based on lower maint.costs) – off the list due to the looks of the facelift model.

Having said that, we finally had the Tata Tiago XT as the only contender left and it was last week of December when I started to reach out to showrooms to get the quotes. Most of them shared the generic price list (for the entire Tiago range).

Screening Offers:

With no good deals offered, we finally began the most tedious task i.e. visiting showrooms to have a clear picture of what we are signing-up for! We started the list with Kropex Motors, E-city (as in few recent YT reviews, the users mentioned good deals, and the SA told me he had 2-3 2020 models of Tiago in stockyard, and if I like the vehicle, we can talk on the deal part). I was very keen to know the numbers before knowing the details of the vehicle (helps in mental calculation, for me). One visit to the stockyard and let me tell you, the preference changed to something like this:
  • Tata Tigor – base variant in Arizona Blue colour (though this had us to extend the budget and due to lack of many necessity features, it went off the list). I really really liked the car when i first saw it in the display at the showroom!!
  • Tata Tiago – mid variant (yes, that’s “the one” we brought home).

I also saw in flesh: Tata Harrier Dark Edition and Nexon Camo/Military Green colour, they looked “wow”!

We did not like the white and silver colour models of Tiago and Tigor, and the SA broke the news of price-hike. The news had us on heels, but given the uncleared price-hike and rush from dealerships to close the deal without good offers, we decided to take a step back and not rush on the decision. We took this time to visit other showrooms, and by the end of 1st week of January 2021, we visited below showrooms in Bangalore (with the essence of transaction/deal):
One important thing to note, “Most showrooms said we can book at current price but they’re unsure what it would be/or how much they’re expecting the hike to be”. (Due to Covid, semiconductor, and some other issues they were clueless of the revised price). This took me off the guard and the entire process was on halt for about 2-3 weeks. Wherein I was intermittently following-up with all the SA to see if any news has come.

Kropex Motors, E-city
First they denied The deal was closed with the Store Manager during an evening call by SA (to persuade me to book). I asked for a day’s time and at the time of booking (when I considered, the deal was almost finalized), the SA stepped back with some dull excuses. And this made me hold back the booking with them. I thanked them and said I will contact them IF I want to book with them.

Prerna Motors BTM & Yeshwanthpur
The SA at Yeshwanthpur were pretty laid back, while the BTM SA gave me incorrect answers regarding quotes and other queries ( I know it was incorrect, as we visited multiple outlets, the same day, and the picture got clear with time).

Aadishakti Motors – Hebbal
Never heard from them on our query despite calls (since this was the closest showroom, from my home, they were on my preference list.)

KHT Motors – Whitefield/Kundanahalli
When we first went to the showroom, it felt like a beehive! Too many customers, too much chaos. I was directed by FO to the SM directly. After the entire conversation, we did not get any good deal. Though the showroom had covid-relzted safety practices in place, but seeing so many people inside a showroom I was not keen to step-in. Maybe the SA gauged my low interest, and he too did not extend any offers. But the following week, he kept in touch and understood what I was looking for. After TM announced the price-hike, he was the first SM/SA to reach out to me and give me the good news that the hike was not very high. His assurance regarding the quote was where we sealed the deal with KHT. Special mention and thanks to the SM, a very cooperative person with information and answers handy. He ensured everything that was committed (in verbatim, in written) was honored! I was really surprised by this.

A quick reference guide for new buyers (that’s what we referred):
  • Team-BHP forum has more or less the entire encyclopedia for a first-time buyer/owner and even driver!
  • Do a thorough comparison of the model we chose and what the other variants had on offer
  • Take a test drive (if you are confident enough, we both were not, and chose to just book the car instead).
  • YouTube channels like MyCarHelpLine, DDS helped me understand many things as a first-time new car buyer.
  • Referred a lot of:
a) Review videos and posts/threads of preferred vehicle
b) Become part of various FB groups to see ownership reviews, complaints, understand and get insights of the entire phase of new car buying.
  • Speak to other owners of the same model/variant. Always good to hear from people and know their perspective, issues, et.
  • Lastly, refer to the Team-BHP PDI list, it is spot on!
  • One of my daily tasks includes going through the team BHP portal and the newsletter, plenty of insights. I thoroughly enjoy the newsletter. Kudos to the entire Team-BHP core team/moderators, and all the enthusiasts.

Booking process/PDI/Delivery:

Pre-booking:
After multiple visits to various showrooms, we got a call from the SM (KHT Motors, Kundanahalli) and after a lot of discussion we got a good deal.

Booking (30th Jan):

The booking was virtual!
We were in Mysuru when the SM called and we decided to grab the offer and close the deal, and put an end to our search. He assured me that my presence is not required (as I informed him on Day-1 that I stay in Jakkur and travelling to the showroom for any work, means at least 3hr travel to/fro for me) and we can collect all our documents during PDI or delivery.

The actual Booking Process we went through:
  • Post the call, the SM shared UPI QR scanner.
  • Booked the car on spot with the basic token amount of Rs. 5,000/-.
  • At the time of booking, I decided to not take any EW and accessories.
  • But by the time of delivery, we added below accessories from showroom:
  1. Mudflaps
  2. Door edge protectors
  3. Chrome Car Bumper Guard Protector
  4. Parcel Tray (had to chase them a lot, as the item was out of stock, and got this delivered only after daily follow-ups and consistent persuasion)

PS: Before booking, I had confirmed to the SM that until I do PDI, I will not release any payments. And the same was assured to us.

Delivery time was estimated to be 6-8 weeks, and we were OK with it, all we wanted is to ensure that we get a 2021 production model.
I was in touch with the SM on a daily basis. To our good luck, it was 1st Feb and the SM informed us that the car was under billing at the plant (as another customer had canceled the booking and since we have the same requirement, it can be allocated to us) and insisted for partial payment. I denied the request and stood my ground of the offer we signed for. After some persuasion and back and forth, he agreed to wait until PDI. He committed to call back once he has an update on the shipment.

PDI:
We got regular updates and on 4th Feb we were informed that the car will reach the stock yard in a day or 2 max.
We did the PDI on 6th Feb’21 and the preferred date for delivery was any-day (but not 14th Feb, preferably). We were taken to the stockyard in the Altroz fully loaded variant, and the rear seat feel was really good. Should easily fit in 3 people. We referred to the Team-BHP PDI list for inspection before the vehicle went for RTO registration and insurance. A thorough check was done, VIN, Chassis and Engine number noted and verified, and took photos of the machine. Unfortunately, some customer during PDI had cranked the engine and ended up banging the car into the wall and then absconded, which made them not allow cranking the engine. (a fishy story, but we were OK with it, as the physical aspects of the car looked good, and no major observations/complaints).

Overall, the PDI was smooth. We went back to the showroom, gave a go ahead after the PDI and paid the balance payment.
Then we cleared the loan papers and disbursements, before heading back home.
Here are few pictures from PDI:
Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-.trashed1647255252img20210206120240.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-img20210206120214.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-img20210206120227.jpg

Tip: If you’re buying a new car with financing/loan, please check BoB rates and offers.

After the entire process, on 9th Feb, we got an indication that the Delivery Day will be the same week i.e. around weekend or 14th Feb (in all probabilities).

The D-Day: 13th February 2021 it is!!

Evening of 12th Feb, the SA confirmed that we can come tomorrow for delivery.
We were excited yet slightly nervous at the same time, something that I personally experience a lot when a ride that I look forward to and is about to happen, the anticipation, the sleepless night before, remember? It was the same for me.

The next day we got a cab and started for the showroom when the famous Bengaluru traffic caught us! Took us a whopping 2.5 hours to reach and finally made it to the showroom.

Tip: Do remember to buy some gift as a small token of appreciation for the SM/SA, as they’re the ones who we usually forget in the total process of buying a car (especially after the delivery). A small thank you gift would make them feel appreciated too!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-img2021021720544102.jpeg

Introducing: “Toothless” (Tata Tiago XT (P)– 2021 model

Why did I christen my car as “Toothless”??
I really adore the character of “Toothless” from the animated movie - “How to Train your Dragon”, and the bond that Hiccup and Toothless share, in the movie. I feel Tiago is just like Toothless to me. Though it looks killer but is many times underrated to be a regular hatch-back! No, it's not! It’s far better than what people perceive of it.

Some Mandatory Clicks:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  120.8 KB
Receiving the keys!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-2.jpg
Thank you Tata Motors for this click! (this was sent by email).

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-3.jpg
(Stickers in place)

We got the car delivered, as promised. 2 key things missing:
  • Number Plate: yes, they asked me to wait for another 4 days for the HSRP number plate to be issued by RTO (in my case I will have to wait for 1 week, as I can’t come down in weekday due to office), We went a week later to get the number plate fixed.
  • Parcel Tray, like mentioned earlier, after a lot of follow-ups, got this accessory only after 3 weeks from delivery.

Honestly, it was a crazy and highly cautious drive from the Showroom to home, with wifey being on high alert in the co-passenger seat to ensure we reach safely (without kissing a scratch to any other vehicle).
Brought Toothless home, and here are a few pictures from the Pooja that we performed at home (due to covid situation around, we weren’t keen to go to a temple and perform the pooja).

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-p1.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-p2.jpg

List of Accessories installed:
  • FastTag (did not get it via showroom, but through Paytm directly)
  • Sai Baba Statue- a customary gift from my FIL
  • 7D Floor Mats and Waterproof Rain Cover (got it from a vendor in New Delhi) – DIY installation, not more than 30 mins job.
  • Dashcam: Using my SJCAM 4000 WiFi action camera on dashcam mode, since Day-1
  • Dashcam Holder
  • Boat products: a) 12V charger with a fast charge usb slot; b) braided type A usb {for dashcam}; c) Unbreakable Type C charging cable – 2M
  • ELV Mobile Holder
  • Car Perfume
  • Key Protector silicone case and Leather key case from Daily Objects
  • Car Seat Covers and Steering Wheel Cover (got them done to our liking)

Other car accessories bought: Mostly ordered online from Amazon
  • RNG Eko Green vacuum cleaner for car (as I have a furry girl home)
  • Dog seat cover
  • Inflatable Bed
  • Icebox
  • Microfiber cleaning brush, Microfiber clothes for usual dry and wet wash, and 1 hand shaped cleaning towel cloth from HomeCenter (makes cleaning hassle-free and a chore one would love to do..Well, at least I love keeping my car spotless and clean)
  • 3M rubbing compound for scratches
  • Formula 1 car wax
  • Car interiors/upholstery spray polish
  • Leather polish/spray for the new seat covers

In this small time, we’ve managed to take Toothless for some small-trips around the city and couple of long trips too!

Few peeks of our small adventures over the weekends':

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bl1.jpg
enroute Haserghatta grasslands

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bl2.jpeg
at Avlabetta

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bl3.jpeg
at Avlabetta

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bl4.jpg
at Dandiganahalli Dam

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bl5.jpg
enroute Savandurga

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-bl6.jpg
enroute Nandi Hills

Will continue the rest after approval, please stay tuned...

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd February 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Just two smileys / post please. Thank you!
saurabhgupta710 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 20:07   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review

Long Trips with Toothless: I will now let the pictures do the talking

A quick Bangalore – Mysore trip to treat ourselves to some amazing food at Tegu Mess. Toothless posing for the sunset (on our way back):

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-mys1.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-mys2.jpg

Bangalore – Gokarna (via Haveri- Sirsi) - first ever long drive

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-gok1.jpg
Yours truly

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-gok2.jpg
FIL's i10 Era aka Flying Rani and Toothless

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-gok3.jpg
Toothless and Flying Rani posing happily under the sun after a stormy night in Gokarna

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-gok4.jpg
We were really happy to see this beauty, just as we started our return leg of journey to Bangalore.

Bangalore - Hyderabad - a weekend at Hyderabad

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20210905_081134380.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20210905_105438959.jpg

Bangalore – Kukkabe, Coorg (a getaway drive to welcome by SIL's car.)

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-foggy-morning.jpg
Toothless enjoying a foggy morning in a Coffee Plantation

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-happy-poser-after-cleaning.jpg
Posing after a quick spa session

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-sneak-peak.jpg
Bluey and Toothless posing happily

Click image for larger version

Name:	sneak peak.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	2272219
Happy Posers

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-titli.jpg
Titli enjoying the ride thanks to the inflatable bed and the dogseat, its comfy she says

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-sleepy-baby.jpg
Sleepy head

And the latest one: Bangalore - Kalhatti, Ooty - Lovedale - Metupalyam - Sankridurg - Bangalore

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-niligirs.jpg
Very first visit to Nilgiris - Toothless

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-titu.jpg
Titli's first visit to nilgiri's

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220206_034441255.jpg
Our humble abode in Kalhatty, Ooty (closer to the hairpin bend 9/36)

A stroll to the Kalhatty Village and around:
Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-scenic.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-silh2.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-lovedale.jpg
Happy Us!

After this, G-maps damned up and we ended up taking a long route, but a scenic one. via Adikaratti to Glendale and then down to Mettupalayam (instead of visiting Coonor town).

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-sankri-home.jpg
Yours Truly and Toothless posing at my maternal grandfather's childhood home in Sanakridurg (or Sankari, as its fondly known, a small town on the Salem - Coimbatore highway).

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-svc-rec.jpg
Apart from all the above, I also had to get the left RVM replaced as I ended up dashing it into the pillar of my apartment’s parking lot. Rookie mistakes we make, as new and over-cautious owners!
I chose to get it replaced from Bodomo (with installation).

Our 1-year ownership review:

As we celebrated first birthday of Toothless on 13th Feb’22 with about 8700Km on the Odo, I decided to pen down this journey of ownership and its homecoming and add the icing of 1-year ownership review to top it up.
Our overall ownership experience, of having Toothless has been pretty amazing!
We have done some crazy drives (including driving in night while returning from Mysore, Hyderabad and Ooty - I mention this again and again as I’m not a fan of driving/riding post sunset) .
We’re happy to recommend Tata Tiago XT (imho, it is the most VFM bang for the buck model out there in the Tiago range, given that you’re looking to cover all basics off the checklist and not end up buying top-end variant with a dearer price-tag).
The 4-star safety ratings with airbags for front row, is really the need of time, given the way people fly (and not just drive) on highways. I am few KM’s shy of the 9K mark on the ODO, as I update this review (PS: Updated on 21-Feb-22) and hoping to munch miles with a hassle free and wonderful ownership experience.

Let me start with the exteriors first:

• Overall (variant Tata Tiago XT petrol – BS6 -2021 model) as a product
  • Build Quality
  • The IRVM and ORVM work perfect! I never faced any issue nor disappointed with the view in the mirrors.

Dislikes:
  • The exterior paint is of good quality, I guess, 1 more coat of paint would have made it a cheesecake!
  • I am slightly disappointed with the stock wheels at 14” and alloy would have been good.
  • On hairpin bends, blind-curves the A-pillar causes slight obstruction and makes us be upright uptight to ensure smooth turning.

And now, about the interiors (driver’s seat, front seats, boot space)

• The steering wheel is magical! I really enjoy my drive
  • Harman Music System
  • Super comfy seats (and after the latest seat cover upgrade, it feels like a Throne) – will post a separate thread for this & will link it, once its up!
  • Legroom and space at front and back seats (my dad’s 5.10” and he was super comfortable in the rear passenger seat. Though with his height and long legs he generally prefers to be seated in front passenger seat).
  • Climate Control works like a charm!
  • The steering was smooth when we got the car, but after 3rd service, the smoothness in maneuvering is noticeable and to my liking. The brakes work well for me.
  • The bootspace is sufficient enough to carry our bags when we plan to go on a week long break.

Dislikes:
  • Tiago is a beautiful machine and a great product. Build Quality is excellent, but panel fittings and finish could be a lot better. (This is a common thing I noticed in internal and external parts of the car)
  • AC cooling could be better (especially in the rear seats, on a hot sunny day it takes a lot of time to cool down despite the climate control)

Engine performance:

• Manual Gearbox (to be honest, this is our first car, and we’re both new drivers apart from what we learnt with the Driving School’s super used cars). At times we face slight issue during gear change (and on reverse, at times).
  • A well tested product and engine
  • I’m really surprised and happy the way car handles all terrains and roads, and speed too! (The max, I have touched on the ODO is 156Kmph which is about 150Kmph in actuals).
    So far, we have managed to drive it on smooth NH, curvy ghats and hairpin bends, bumpy roads, bad roads and at times no roads, wet roads and the car seems to never fail in charming us. This matches my overall satisfaction.
  • Be it bumper to bumper traffic in the city or a bridge, or highways and ghats, the engine performs effortlessly
  • Once inside the car with all doors and windows closed, its very difficult to notice that the engine ignition is ON, even in traffic, hardly any sound is noticeable. The NVH is just perfect!

Dislikes:
At times, we do face issue while changing gears and hear a noise or two while using reverse in car park. The SVC confirmed to me on 2 different occasions that this seems to be the normal sound and nothing wrong with the sound on reverse. While in the 3rd free service, they claim to have fixed this issue and I haven’t driven much to notice or comment on the gearbox issue.(Will update the observation soon)

One thing, which I personally admire a lot about the folks at TM is that they’ve done a good job by adapting to offer accessories that people get done from the outside market, as a bundled package! Really an impressive move as it proves that TM is keeping an eye on where its customers’ taste lies. The overall ASS experience and support could be better. Few things I feel, in today’s market shall be non-negotiable and a standard like:
  1. The dual reverse lamps (2021 onwards the models only have 1 reverse lamp)
  2. Dual horns or better (louder) horn
  3. Headlight bulbs (the bulbs are a nightmare)
  4. Please improve the fittings and finish quality. I would rate it 8/10 for the overall fittings and finish.
  5. Please fix the headlamp moisture issue

PS: The Arizona Blue (added in March’21) and the Plum colour (added in Jan’22) looks amazing!!

While the intent was to get the cars for daily runs on weekdays and weekends for the wanderlust tourer, the car, at this point of time has done more or less same KM in City as on Highways. (errr..WFH kept us grounded for the weeks, but hope situation improves, over time). Tiago is a bigger vehicle in the hatchback category, as compared to the Hyundai i10 NIOS Sports. (during the trip to Kakkabe, Coorg – we observed this).

SVC and Driving:

We have had a smooth sail when it comes to having a hassle-free ownership with Toothless only visiting the SVC for scheduled services.

We both absolutely love driving Toothless be it city traffic, commuting within the city, highways, ghats, or narrow city lanes, the car handles all modes amazingly well.
Encountered certain roads where Toothless was tested for its agility and handling and it did a great job. To cite an example, during the Coorg trip, we were heading to Tadiyanmol betta and the boulder and gravelled road meant no friction for Toothless. With a deep trench on one side, the car got stuck in the boulder road and while trying to climb uphill the wheels ended up skidding even after engaging handbrake!
With 2 people on ground i.e. Wifey and FIL's guidance, was able to take a U-turn on the narrow steep road. Finally, ‘all's well that ends well’.

Note to self: whenever upgrading tyres, need to opt for tyres that provide some grip even on wet/bad roads.

Before signing-off, I seek guidance on:
  1. Installing sun film/tint on all windows and windscreen of the car.
  2. Foglights (my reference is to opt for the yellow coloured usual foglights and not some halogen/projectors etc. Something like lumax ones' but not sure which one are a fit/match for the car.
  3. Headlight bulbs (confused between Osram night-breaker and Philips H4 Rally 100/60V with relay (again, not my expertise, nor my technical understanding but my close friends have recommended this one).
  4. Dual horn or maybe some better horns.

Thanking each and every member of this esteemed forum for the sheer amount of experience, knowledge and details (& level of detail) that have been shared and have been kind to continue to do so when asked for guidance/suggestion.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20211227_103337729.jpg  

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-sankri-titu.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd February 2022 at 08:29. Reason: Just two smileys / post please. Thank you!
saurabhgupta710 is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:24   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:44   #4
BHPian

Excellent review! Lovely pictures too! Please share how you are using SJCAM as dashcam(some pics will be helpful). One small suggestion from my end will be to paint the wheel cover black. You can find multiple designs online. With respect to horn, you can try Roots Windtone 90 or Hella Trumpet Horn.
K_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:08   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your new & first car, very good choice in this price range. I really admire your decision making process to eliminate the unsafe cars from shortlist. To be honest if we consider Safety the primary criteria, then not much choice is available in sub 8 lakh hatchback market. Only Tiago & Altroz base model comes in mind.

Coming to your queries, here are my recommendations:
  1. Installing sun film/tint on all windows and windscreen of the car.- Go for Garware sunfilms, 70% transparency on front windshield & 50% transparency on rest of glasses.

2. Foglights (my reference is to opt for the yellow coloured usual foglights and not some halogen/projectors etc. Something like lumax ones' but not sure which one are a fit/match for the car.- Your lighting problem can be solved once and for all if you install LED IPH Projector foglamp, I have seen some bhpian using it and they are extremely satisfied with it during night drives on highway. there are many reviews & DIY installation available here on teambhp itself.

3. Headlight bulbs (confused between Osram night-breaker and Philips H4 Rally 100/60V with relay (again, not my expertise, nor my technical understanding but my close friends have recommended this one). -- I have always upgraded the headlamp bulb in all my cars to Osram nightbreaker-unlimited and I have never been disappointed, it has much better throw then stock lamps. I wouldn't recommend using 100/60w with relay (means the stock lamps are 60/55w) as this will lead to entire electrical warranty being void by Tata ASC. I recommend keeping the wattage of bulbs same.

4. Dual horn or maybe some better horns.- You Must go for it, meek singel horn of lower variants are of no use on highway. Hella Dual horn are pretty standard offering from any good accessory shop in your city. or you can go for SKODA type trumpet horns, I personally am not a fan of them.

good luck with your car & wish you many many happy miles in coming years.
Strider24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:36   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your 1 year ownership with toothless. Tiago is such an underrated car, it actually deserves more numbers in sales. I suggested this vehicle to so many people over i10 and Celerio, but unfortunately Tata has bad reputation in our circle (thanks to crap service center we have in our hometown).

Your trips prove that you can enjoy long trips even in small cars and we don't need heavy SUV's to experience the unexplored, as long as we have a smile on our face holding the steering wheel.

Off Topic - Harrier base XE variant was one of the contender when I was looking for a vehicle 1 year back, but the TD vehicle had so many broken switches I just had no choice but to strike it off from my list.

Titli is the real show stopper in your review

Wishing you happy miles ahead.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's a very good review. I have to say, Tiago looks lovely in that color. Yellow was my favorite until now, after looking at your car, I changed my mind!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:19   #8
BHPian

Awesome review. I see Titli is enjoying the company of Tootless :-). Happy motoring for many more years.
vijuk21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 02:12   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on Toothless! The Tiago is a well sorted car and with proper care I'm sure you'll have many miles of ownership!

Also kudos on having an Indie as a pet. Titli is beautiful and wish you many happy years of togetherness!
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 17:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
Thank you so much. Glad to receive so much love from all you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Excellent review! Lovely pictures too! Please share how you are using SJCAM as dashcam(some pics will be helpful). One small suggestion from my end will be to paint the wheel cover black. You can find multiple designs online. With respect to horn, you can try Roots Windtone 90 or Hella Trumpet Horn.
Thank you. I've placed the cam holder next to the FastTag, and for this i use a suction holder on the glass, coupled with 2 add-ons (one extender and the belt holder for SJCAM), from the SJCAM 4000 WIFI Accessories and a boat usb type B to charge it. I've removed the battery and using it directly from the 12V charging port with a boat fast charger.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220221 at 12.14.50 9.jpeg
Views: 2707
Size:  126.6 KB
please let me know if you need more closer pic of all the items used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Congratulations on your new & first car, very good choice in this price range. I really admire your decision making process to eliminate the unsafe cars from shortlist. To be honest if we consider Safety the primary criteria, then not much choice is available in sub 8 lakh hatchback market. Only Tiago & Altroz base model comes in mind.

Coming to your queries, here are my recommendations:
  1. Installing sun film/tint on all windows and windscreen of the car.- Go for Garware sunfilms, 70% transparency on front windshield & 50% transparency on rest of glasses.
  2. Foglights (my reference is to opt for the yellow coloured usual foglights and not some halogen/projectors etc. Something like lumax ones' but not sure which one are a fit/match for the car.- Your lighting problem can be solved once and for all if you install LED IPH Projector foglamp, I have seen some bhpian using it and they are extremely satisfied with it during night drives on highway. there are many reviews & DIY installation available here on teambhp itself.
  3. Headlight bulbs (confused between Osram night-breaker and Philips H4 Rally 100/60V with relay (again, not my expertise, nor my technical understanding but my close friends have recommended this one). -- I have always upgraded the headlamp bulb in all my cars to Osram nightbreaker-unlimited and I have never been disappointed, it has much better throw then stock lamps. I wouldn't recommend using 100/60w with relay (means the stock lamps are 60/55w) as this will lead to entire electrical warranty being void by Tata ASC. I recommend keeping the wattage of bulbs same.

4. Dual horn or maybe some better horns.- You Must go for it, meek single horn of lower variants are of no use on highway. Hella Dual horn are pretty standard offering from any good accessory shop in your city. or you can go for SKODA type trumpet horns, I personally am not a fan of them.

good luck with your car & wish you many many happy miles in coming years.
1) Any leads where in Bangalore can i find Garware sunfilms. Most local shops are offering generic brands, but not this.
Is it legal to use sunfilms on cars? A couple of years ago, my brother was stopped and fined by cops saying the tints were above 50% (whereas the tint was 30%). Is there any hard rule on RTO or across India on banning use of tinted films?

2) Wont the relay work? I am not looking to put white lights. I am willing to go for any decent option but in amber/yellow lights, and would like to first try out and see if Headlight lamp switching helps. Will try Osram hopefully this weekend.
Thank you, will check out the horn options and see which one works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Congratulations on your 1 year ownership with toothless. Tiago is such an underrated car, it actually deserves more numbers in sales. I suggested this vehicle to so many people over i10 and Celerio, but unfortunately Tata has bad reputation in our circle (thanks to crap service center we have in our hometown).

Your trips prove that you can enjoy long trips even in small cars and we don't need heavy SUV's to experience the unexplored, as long as we have a smile on our face holding the steering wheel.

Off Topic - Harrier base XE variant was one of the contender when I was looking for a vehicle 1 year back, but the TD vehicle had so many broken switches I just had no choice but to strike it off from my list.

Titli is the real show stopper in your review

Wishing you happy miles ahead.
Thank you so much! I absolutely agree with you on the car options in India.
As far as any car or bike is concerned, i feel, as long as we're enjoying the ride and not comparing it to other segment rides, it is always going to keep us happy.
Back then, i did like Harrier, but out of budget Yes, she's been a happy kid enjoying the trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Wow, that's a very good review. I have to say, Tiago looks lovely in that color. Yellow was my favorite until now, after looking at your car, I changed my mind!
thank you for such a wonderful compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuk21 View Post
Awesome review. I see Titli is enjoying the company of Tootless :-). Happy motoring for many more years.
Oh yes, she is! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Congratulations on Toothless! The Tiago is a well sorted car and with proper care I'm sure you'll have many miles of ownership!

Also kudos on having an Indie as a pet. Titli is beautiful and wish you many happy years of togetherness!
Thank you so so much buddy!
Tiago is overall a fuss-free car and the more the care, the more the merrier driving is

Last edited by BlackPearl : 24th February 2022 at 17:48. Reason: Too many smileys!
saurabhgupta710 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 19:17   #11
BHPian

Congratulations Buddy! Tiago is indeed a good product and TML has been improving it ever since it was launched in 2016....

However, i feel that they should have continued with the diesel mill in post BS6 era that way people would have got another option to choose from...

Anyways enjoy the ride for many more miles ahead...
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 15:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulemanP View Post
Congratulations Buddy! Tiago is indeed a good product and TML has been improving it ever since it was launched in 2016....

However, i feel that they should have continued with the diesel mill in post BS6 era that way people would have got another option to choose from...

Anyways enjoy the ride for many more miles ahead...
Thank you. Yes, this is something that i have heard from many folks.
Old 4th April 2022, 15:48   #13
BHPian

Milestone Achieved: The 10K Mark

No major updates since the last post. The last few weeks, have seen very less action. In fact after the quick Ooty trip in Feb, Toothless has been bounded mostly by office runs and other city runs.

New Year (GudiPadwa) started with Toothless touching the 5-digits, finally!!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220403_16370519601.jpeg
10,000 KM it is!

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220402_06360508601.jpeg
Toothless happily posing with the CherryBlossoms
Old 31st May 2022, 15:12   #14
BHPian

So, here I am, with a quick update to this thread.

1) Installed Garware sunfilms 70% VLT on windows and rear windscreen. For now, have kept front windscreen as is.

2) Upgraded headlight bulbs to Philips Rally H4 100/90 with Lumax relay heavy duty kit..and oh boy, the lights are now wow! Attaching few clicks capturing the throw of new bulbs.
Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220524_173617295.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220524_173551878.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220524_164211935.jpg

Tata Tiago XT Petrol | 1-year ownership review-pxl_20220524_164223785.jpg
saurabhgupta710 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 12:22   #15
BHPian

@saurabhgupta710 I am happy to announce that I have booked a Grey Tata Tiago XZA+ for my father at my hometown of Chhatarpur in M.P. There is only a cash discount of 10k + corporate Discount of 2.5k promised by SA subject to announcement from Tata in the month of delivery as it is directly from TaMo Only. He also has assured some discount in accessories.

One question- am I supposed to get any SMS or WhatsApp message from Tata motors confirming the booking? or do I rely on word of SA for updates? as a precaution I have asked SA to share all the details and agreed terms from his official email ID, that should cover any unforeseen events. also any points to be taken care during booking that you can suggest?

4 years back when I rejected Tiago as my own car in Pune, it was partly because of Handling charges of Rs.10k being part of quote which they refused to waive & I was adamant on not paying it. However this time as a pleasant surprise, handling charges were by default not part of the quote I received. Also SA said he was cool with us getting our own insurance in case they are unable to match it. Booking experience So far is good .
Strider24 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks