Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2023, 09:31   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham_2206 View Post
How and from where do you intend to dechrome the front grill? I've been thinking of doing the same, front as well as the sides, but have been unsure of which method to choose. Have read about Vinyl Wraps but also watched videos of people spraying/painting over the chrome parts.
I generally go to 3M Koramangala. They do a fine job and don’t have to worry about quality ever.

My approach is to use wrap to de-chrome grill. Doing the spray-paint is better IMO but that would need a lot more time/ curation and care. I would want something that can be done in an hour and out of there.

When you say - de-chrome sides too - what exactly is in your mind? Love to hear it, don't intend to do it on TheRedSparkle though
Old 10th August 2023, 11:18   #317
BHPian

re: Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Doing the spray-paint is better IMO but that would need a lot more time/ curation and care.
Do you mean care on our part after the job is done?

Quote:
When you say - de-chrome sides too - what exactly is in your mind?
The chrome line that runs horizontal just below the windows (not sure what it's called). I'm also thinking of getting the alloys wrapped in a dark colour (black/grey), simpler and cheaper option to get a sporty look as compared to changing the alloys altogether.

Also, any idea if the wrapping can be undone later? I'm skeptical of doing modifications that are permanent, primarily due to the fear that it may not come out the way I want them to. On 3M's website (https://www.3mindia.in/3M/en_IN/p/d/b5005081006/), it says that the wrap is "Removable with Heat" but just curious if removing will completely restore the part as original or does it leave any marks or aftereffects.
shubham_2206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 13:34   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean care on our part after the job is done?
I mean during application. Too much time consuming.

Quote:
I'm also thinking of getting the alloys wrapped in a dark colour (black/grey), simpler and cheaper option to get a sporty look as compared to changing the alloys altogether.
Wrap easily comes off, so no issues. On alloy - it may not be a good option. Using paint-spray instead of wrap is better. There are some paint-sprays that after sprayed become like a wrap which can be peeled off. Need to do some research basis colour choices etc.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 17:33   #319
BHPian

Quote:
On alloy - it may not be a good option. Using paint-spray instead of wrap is better. There are some paint-sprays that after sprayed become like a wrap which can be peeled off. Need to do some research basis colour choices etc.
By any chance do you know of a detailer in Bangalore who does spray-painting on alloys?
Old 10th August 2023, 21:49   #320
BHPian

Quote:
There are some paint-sprays that after sprayed become like a wrap which can be peeled off.
If you were referring to Plasti Dip (and similar products), found this nice thread on Team BHP where members have shared their experiences with the product on various parts of their cars (and bikes, helmets, even laptop ): https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...d-coating.html (Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...)
Old 17th August 2023, 10:27   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

PKE Keyfob battery ran out!

Last week when I used the request sensor on door to unlock the car, everything worked normally but on the MID console, it flashed the message that Keyfob battery is low. I have been occasionally rotating between two keys but I think the amount of usage on the key must have drained the battery anyway.

A simple DIY and the keyfob is back to original performance level. Here is a quick video of on how to do this keyfob battery change yourself:

You can order CR2032 battery on amazon or buy it from a friendly electronics repair shops or watch stores. It will cost anything between 20-30 Rs. You just need 5 mins max to get this done - can be done by yourself or any electronics shop too. Just exercise caution to not breaking plastic on the fob!

Unfortunately, no long drives, not even short ones too. Just home to office and some home chores to nearby grocery shops for past 5 weeks or so. We are still patiently waiting to cross over 50K mark!
abirnale is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 19:13   #322

Re: Some recalls and some running Repairs!

Quote:
Service Action: The infamous LCA
Has that gud gud noise from slightly uneven patches of road vanished completely after the LCA replacement? Do you think it's worth the replacement if you kinda have to push the SC a little harder for the replacement as they are denying the recall or any issue with the existing LCA of the early batch?
anony_drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 10:06   #323

Hi Abirnale,
I see that you are from Bangalore south. I am getting an AX5 and was planning to install a 70mai mirror dashcam with rear cam (since AX5 doesn't have rear cam). Could you please let me know where you got your dashcam installed. Since I am relatively new to Bangalore, I have very less knowledge on local workshops/mechanics.
ShabbyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:16   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony_drive View Post
Has that gud gud noise from slightly uneven patches of road vanished completely after the LCA replacement?
Yes - not just the noise but overall firmness when you go over undulations/ bad road has become better. I just have the football in the car now that makes noise against my wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyG View Post
I see that you are from Bangalore south. I am getting an AX5 and was planning to install a 70mai mirror dashcam with rear cam (since AX5 doesn't have rear cam). Could you please let me know where you got your dashcam installed.
Sure, welcome to namma-bengaluru.

Visit these guys - they will be able to do it: https://maps.app.goo.gl/gkSLwmbphyM1MGSn8?g_st=ic They have done it for almost all of my cars and the ones I referred to. They have the dashcam stock too if you want to buy from them or get it yourself.

Another nifty accessory:

Thanks to a friend who pointed me to amazon: Tire Wheel Jack Wrench https://amzn.eu/d/9fvuR6p And this was super helpful - I tried it too:

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by abirnale : 24th August 2023 at 15:19.
abirnale is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 17:58   #325

Thanks for the inputs @abirnale.
ShabbyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 18:20   #326

Re: Dashcam Installation

Quote:
Installing a dashboard Camera

Without opening any panels, simply routed wires from the roof liner edge of the car roof inside. Using the plastic prying tools this is very easy and without even having any impact on the interiors.
Thanks for posting this. I was researching about how to use SVM cameras for monitoring and was confused between that and dashcam. Your post helped me clarify that.

I have one small question though, how did the guys at workshop made sure that wires for dashcam aren't blocking the side curtain airbags? I saw some videos on YouTube where people opened side panels to route wire towards fuse box without blocking airbags. But haven't found a solution for hiding wires for rear dashcam without blocking curtain airbags.
astro-wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 07:21   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dashcam Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro-wolf View Post
I have one small question though, how did the guys at workshop made sure that wires for dashcam aren't blocking the side curtain airbags? I saw some videos on YouTube where people opened side panels to route wire towards fuse box without blocking airbags. But haven't found a solution for hiding wires for rear dashcam without blocking curtain airbags.
The airbags start from the top of A pillar and extends all the way towards third row. Only the wiring and harness is what you would have in A pillar. Regardless, routing the wire to windshield can be done via rubber beading of the door and don’t need to pry open the a pillar plastic. Similarly to route the wire to rear windshield, you just need to route it via roof, running on the edge or use the floor and route up towards the boot via rubber beading inside. If you take some professional help, they would direct the cables without interfering with anything existing on the car. Also, the fuse taps I mentioned are the one vetted by ASC, researched thoroughly for amount of power and load they exert on whole system.

I think you can safely go with repeating my setup - for past two months my car is mostly parked in basement: neither experienced battery drain nor any issues with DPF or otherwise. Hence the recommendation. Of course I assume you will use your best judgement and caution.
abirnale is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 10:25   #328

Thanks. I thought curtain airbags must run through atleast half of A-pillar, which was my main concern. If it's only till the top of A-pillar, then as you said, I should be able to repeat your setup.
astro-wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 14:50   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossing over 50K Kms!

50,000 Kms - Service Visit!

After a long gap of no activity, #TheRedSparkle is finally inched past 49750 Kms mark and I got the opportunity to take it to trusted service station to get it serviced today.

The 50K Kms service includes engine oil change, oil-filter change, cabin air filter change, wheels and brakes inspection, underbody inspection and fluid top-ups if any and general inspections. With a prior confirmation with Service Advisor, things were super fast and to the point today! The bay was available as I went first thing in morning and even before the job card was opened, the car was taken in the bay to service. The entire work from end to end (minus billing) took flat 45 mins. When you have some experts at work, this is exactly what I want to happen every time with every car! My service Manager Edrish and Bay in-charge Santosh did fantastic work and got car ready much ahead of expected time.

Since now every service station has Ultra V4 synthetic oil in stock, I opted in for the V4 oil. This is OEM and procured by ASC, costs 2600 plus change. I also asked ASC to supply me with a 6 ltr DEF - the current level is 81% which would consume about 4 litre. So keeping the 6ltr container with me at home to refill when the level drops to 70% - just one more longish drive

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8014_original.jpeg

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8013_original.jpeg

The total bill for 50K kms service (paid service) came out to be Rs. 7709.

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8026_original.jpeg

After the oil change, took #TheRedSparkle to Tyre Professionals for wheel alignment and balancing. Neat and quick work costing Rs. 2435! The weights cost about 450 Rs. The hunter system did not suggest any rotation of the tires too. Front Axle was pretty badly misaligned - needed to be corrected. other than that, not much of actions needed.

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8022_original.jpeg

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8023_original.jpeg

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8024_original.jpeg

The key observation I noticed is: the Continental shoes are at the end of their life - I need new shoes now! These sets lasted for about 30K kms. Compared to Michelin on my earlier car, these are not so great. Neither life nor the cost at which they come makes sense to procure them.

Reincarnating Orange Cheetah | TheRedSparkle Mahindra XUV700 AX7L AWD | 70,000 kms up!-img_8019_original.jpeg

So here I am again, looking for better options: should I opt for A/T tires? What options I got? or anything in H/T that is more soft-roading friendly? The size is 235/60 R18.

To go for A/T or H/T? What do you suggest and any options you think I should consider? I got another month or so before the decision must be made!

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2023 at 12:57. Reason: Typo.
abirnale is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 21:00   #330
BHPian

Re: Crossing over 50K Kms!

Quote:
50,000 Kms - Service Visit!

After the oil change, took #TheRedSparkle to Tyre Professionals for wheel alignment and balancing. Neat and quick work costing Rs. 2435! The weights cost about 450 Rs. The hunter system did not suggest any rotation of the tires too. Front Axle was pretty badly misaligned - needed to be corrected. other than not much of actions needed.

To go for A/T or H/T? What do you suggest and any options you think I should consider? I got another month or so before the decision must be made!
What is this road force balancing? Is it something that uses a different type of machine form the regular balancing machines?

Your usage definitely warrants a mild AT tyre. Unfortunately not many good options are available in your tyre size. If you change to 17" wheels you will get a lot of options.

I have just changed from Continental Cross Contact AT to Continental AX6.
Basically a change from a very aggressive AT pattern to a medium AT pattern. I will PM you my impressions after a few days.
The CC-ATs were 5 years old and have barely run 25K kms. They have gone hard as my Grand Vitara was not used much during the 2 years of covid.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks