Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2022, 12:03   #31
BHPian

Re: Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post

5. Occasional noisy gearshifts. The Slushbox is smooth in about 90-95% gear shifts. However, I have occasionally noticed a prominent ‘kach-kach’ sound which comes from the engine compartment ahead of driver’s side. It usually comes when the car is at low speeds under load and the slushbox upshifts at about 1900-2000 rpm (light foot driving). I request inputs from other members/ Hexa owners. Is this a normal behaviour?
This is absolutely normal with this car. Don't worry.
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 21:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
I personally hate TATA, but unable to hate the underrated workhorse from their stable just after driving both MT 4x4 and AT for good kilometers. Haven’t personally loved suspension setup in any other car and it has just set the benchmark at our home.
Thanks GautamJ!

I was also not a Tata fanboy but this car has converted me. As you said, the suspension setup and the mile munching capability of this car is a benchmark, especially if you factor the price at which it offered this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the Tata Hexa owners club.

My car is the facelifted version. Are you sure that your Hexa is not pre-wired for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay? It looks like there is only a two-month difference between when your car was purchased new and when I purchased my car.
Thanks a ton kovilkalai! Glad to meet another hexa owner.

Yes, there's only a whisker of difference in terms of time between both our cars, but mine still has the older ICE with physical buttons. Its not the one with a 7 inch touchscreen.

How's the user experience with Carplay/ Android Auto in the updated ICE? I haven't experienced it, hence asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Congrats Prashant. I bought a pre-owned Hexa XTA last year, and it has been great. Been meaning to write a thread about it, but haven't yet gotten around to it.

One tip is that I have found that using diesel additives such as ADON-D from Indian Oil improves refinement of the engine a lot, and after a couple of tankfuls of it, the engine seems to stay a bit refined and a bit more responsive. I read a bit about it on the Additives thread where another owner with a Safari Storme has used this too with similar results.

Happy mile-munching !
Thanks coolvenk!

You must pen down your experiences with the car. It would be a great way of sharing your experiences and would definitely benefit newbies like me.

I have noted your recommendation for ADON-D. Will try it in the next refueling and share my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Hi Prashanth,
Welcome to the Hexa Owner's club. It was heartening to read your well written piece on the serendipitous sojourn with the beast. On a weekly basis I get the pleasure of friends and acquaintances commenting on how good the car is after being in the vehicle for a short while.

Mine is a white 6 seater XTA bought from the second hand market in 2019 and has been a trustworthy workhorse for over 40K kms. A long trip in the Hexa always puts a smile one's face. Wishing you the same for many miles over the years
Thank you so much ram1kv for the kind words.

You have a lovely car there. It reminds me that I have to get that door fixed and get it detailed professionally. Then maybe, my car will also shine like yours. My beast is due for a little love this weekend.

A long trip in hexa is indeed a bliss. Hopefully I get another one soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
Congratulations Prashanth! Hats off to your leap of faith. It was courageous to drive a new purchase ~4K without blinking an eye! I am sure your better half gave you lot of positive push to implement it.

go for HID (i have gone with Uglare 55W/4500k and has sorted it mostly) and go for a magnetic holder.

On TASS, they are not that bad as they are made out to be. Yes they are not smooth operators, but they know their job and most of them are helpful. I can say this after dealing with them for last 2 decades with 2 indicas (petrol and diesel) and a hexa. The vehicles have never broken down on the road.
Thank you BMK!

Your experience with Tata has instilled a lot of confidence in me and has mitigated a bit of anxiety that I had about TASS.

It was indeed a push from my better half that manifested in this entire episode. I am glad that I paid heed to her advice, after all a happy wife is a happy life.

I am interested in knowing a bit more about Uglare HIDs that you have installed. I shall DM you for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Congratulations on acquiring this magnificent machine.

I shall see if I can do the same few years down the line and do a cross-country trip for getting the new car (whichever it is) back home.
Thank you vredesbyrd!

All the best to you. I hope your cross country trip materialises soon. I can tell you that it is a memorable experience that is bound to stay with you for sometime. Do take RSA though, and plan your halts well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
This is absolutely normal with this car. Don't worry.
Thank you jalsa777! This assurance coming from you means a lot!

How is your Hexa doing? You mentioned about some issues about the electronics of the slushbox in this (Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa) thread. I hope they are resolved now. Also, it would be great if you could share what these issues were and how were they mitigated? Thanks again!
Prashant1286 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 08:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GautamJ!

Yes, there's only a whisker of difference in terms of time between both our cars, but mine still has the older ICE with physical buttons. Its not the one with a 7 inch touchscreen.

How's the user experience with Carplay/ Android Auto in the updated ICE? I haven't experienced it, hence asking.
The experience is just fine. I use Apple Carplay, so I can't comment on Android Auto. I use Apple Carplay all the time on long drives. The only irritant is the lack of a storage space for the phone when it is connected to the infotainment system. Once in a while I end up elbowing my phone and the wire pops out :-)
kovilkalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 22:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
go for HID (i have gone with Uglare 55W/4500k and has sorted it mostly)
Hi BMK!

I tried to DM you but unfortunately I can't.

I have to upgrade the low beams on my car.

Could you please share a little more details about the Uglare HIDs that you mentioned. Where did you get them installed from and for how much? Have they given you any trouble? Lastly, if you can share a few pics, it would be great.

Thanks!

Prashant
Old 29th January 2022, 12:19   #35
BMK

Hi Prashant,

I sourced it from their website, based on others experience.
https://www.uglare.com/product/55w-a...nversion-kits/
Reach out Abhishek +91 98189 52900, he is very helpful

I have now used it for 1+ yr and no issues. It is good for most driving scenarios particularly highway drives @100kmph. Occassionally in cities with ambient lighting it is so-so.
I got it installed at TASS in Bangalore. It is plug and play. Only word of caution is place and secure the ballasts such that they don't come in contact with metal surface. Can lead to trip meter/fuel average reset.
BMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 19:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's a fantastic looking car. Never for a second doubt your choice, it's spot on if you ask me. I hated the Aria for it's looks but thought of actually picking a used Hexa. But again, given my usage and the challenges with a huge car, I opted for the 3OO. It's a stunner and well built. Coming to features such as Android auto and the weak low beam, you can always look for after market installation. There are some really good decor shops out there that do a wonderful job without spoiling the warranty. You can look at those options. A the price you have picked this beauty, I'd say it's a steal. Wish you many happy miles of driving!
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 19:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Wow, that's a fantastic looking car.
Wish you many happy miles of driving!
Thank you Raghu M for the kind words. I have shortlisted a few things that I shall get done with my car. Will update the threat then.

The XUV 300 is quite a capable car in itself. Wish you a blissful ownership experience and many happy miles with it!
Prashant1286 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 15:16   #38
BHPian

Update 1: Functional Accessories

Recently added a few functional accessories to the Hexa.

Though I am not a fan of bull-bars, this rear guard was added to avoid battle-scars caused by two-wheelers and auto rickshaws in the urban environs.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-bumper.jpeg

This roof carrier was added in-lieu of the aftermarket Innova Crysta Roof Rails that the previous owner had installed (hate Tata for deleting the roof-rails from 2019 Hexa!). The intended use will be to carry bicycle(s) overhead for which I shall get a custom bracket fabricated soon. This does not spoil the aesthetics much, but does cause a bit of wind noise. The wind noise starts at about 58 kmph and reduces considerably beyond 72 kmph. The noise is perceivable only when driving without music and with the HVAC blower off. Whenever the Music/ AC is switched on, the noise is masked effectively.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-roof.jpeg

Another functional upgrade was addition of these mudguards which reduce the ingress of mud/ water into the door-pads when driving in rainy/ slushy conditions. The mud on the side skirt denotes the problem in the original design.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-mudguard.jpeg

In order to increase the visibility by night, the fog lamps were updated with switchback LEDs. These change colour to White/ Yellow on alternate on/off cycles. The LEDs are bright enough and yellow light is a boon in poor visibilty/ rainy conditions. Do notice the colourful hues of sunset-sky in the Nilgiris!
Name:  Fog White.jpeg
Views: 1263
Size:  158.3 KBSerendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-fog-yellow.jpeg
Prashant1286 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 15:58   #39
BHPian

Update 2: The Hexa is Three-year-old Now.

The car completed three years yesterday. The current Odo is just shy of 39k clicks. She's still pleasure to drive and a beauty to look at!
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-2.jpeg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1.jpeg

No rattles whatsoever- speaks volumes about the way she has been put together. I'm coming from Swift where minor rattles here and there were the norm, hence this observation.

Even at the cost of repetition, I must say again that the slushbox is awesome! I always thought that I was a manual-transmission kind of guy but this car has converted me. This slushbox drops gears with a slight change of pressure on the accelerator pedal. Sport mode is another ace in the sleeve. When on a highway with cruise control set, its a joy to see this gearbox drop at times upto two gears to rapidly accelerate the car from 60 to 100 when Res button is pressed.

Update 3: Scheduled Service and Warranty Claim.

The car is due for 36 month scheduled service. There were also a few minor issues faced, namely harshness/ vibration in engine, feeble vibrations on the steering and middle bench failing to slide/ tumble.

Took the car to SRT Coimbatore on the last day of warranty (still have two more years of EW left, nonetheless). The Service manager, Mr Swami, was a friendly fellow and so was the SA. They took the car for a test drive and found that the engine and gearbox bushes/ mounts need to be changed. Since the car has not run much, the parts hopefully will be changed under warranty. They opened a job card. However, since the bushes/ mounts as well as seat assembly were not readily available, I was suggested to come later and get the service done once these parts arrive. The estimate given for the service is as under.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-estimate.jpeg

In the meanwhile, found a trick to tumble the middle row seat from another fellow Hexa owner. So for now, the seats would not need fixing. Will update the method here with pictures later.

After the service, the next immediate upgrade will be change of tyres to something better. The stock MRFs are now 39k/ 3 years. They have more than 70% tread left but have become hard. As a result, they often skid when driving uphill, especially when accelerating from a standstill on hairpin bends.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-mrfs.jpeg

Planning to keep this car for atleast 7-10 years, provided TASS can support it.

Last edited by Prashant1286 : 8th March 2022 at 16:19.
Prashant1286 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 14:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Another functional upgrade was addition of these mudguards which reduce the ingress of mud/ water into the door-pads when driving in rainy/ slushy conditions. The mud on the side skirt denotes the problem in the original design.
Attachment 2281901
This is a wonderful addition. Could you provide details from where did you source this and where did you get them installed?

Last edited by BHPjunkie : 10th March 2022 at 14:47. Reason: The quote got deleted
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Update 2: The Hexa is Three-year-old Now.

The car completed three years yesterday. The current Odo is just shy of 39k clicks. She's still pleasure to drive and a beauty to look at!
Dear Prashant, Hope you are still enjoying your Hexa. I am looking at a used one Brown XTA done around 45k kms. It has a bench seat. My question to you is: Does the left hand (the bigger portion of the bench seat) tumble up/down for easy ingress/outgress to the third row seat?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th March 2022 at 14:34. Reason: quote content trimmed
Old 20th March 2022, 13:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
Could you provide details from where did you source this and where did you get them installed?
Hi BHPjunkie!

Apologies for the delayed reply. Work is keeping me away from both - Hexa and Team BHP. It's indeed useful. I am dropping you a DM. Rest details are in there.
Regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Dear Prashant, Hope you are still enjoying your Hexa. I am looking at a used one Brown XTA done around 45k kms. It has a bench seat. My question to you is: Does the left hand (the bigger portion of the bench seat) tumble up/down for easy ingress/outgress to the third row seat?
Hi achintatri!

I am fully enjoying my Hexa and am happy with the decision to buy it. Please get the Hexa you are looking at evaluated at TASS. They have a 40 point inspection for which they will charge a meager amount but it's worth the mental peace.

As for your query, the larger portion of the bench does tumble but a part of it fouls with the armrest console. It's recommended to tumble the smaller portion of the bench for easier ingress.

These are two images from the official review that might make it clear.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-tatahexa03.jpgSerendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-tatahexa04.jpg

I also suggest that you read the official team bhp review. It covers the car in depth.

For any other queries, feel free to ask me here.
Regards!
Prashant1286 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 13:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPjunkie!

Apologies for the delayed reply. Work is keeping me away from both - Hexa and Team BHP. It's indeed useful. I am dropping you a DM. Rest details are in there.
Regards!

Hi achintatri!

I am fully enjoying my Hexa and am happy with the decision to buy it. Please get the Hexa you are looking at evaluated at TASS. They have a 40 point inspection for which they will charge a meager amount but it's worth the mental peace.

As for your query, the larger portion of the bench does tumble but a part of it fouls with the armrest console. It's recommended to tumble the smaller portion of the bench for easier ingress.

These are two images from the official review that might make it clear.
Attachment 2286367Attachment 2286366

I also suggest that you read the official team bhp review. It covers the car in depth.

For any other queries, feel free to ask me here.
Regards!
Hi Prashant, Thanks for your response! Few more questions if you don't mind:
  1. How has been your experience with the TASS especially in terms of parts availability?
  2. Did you get any extended warranty from them?
  3. Did you try any additives in the diesel fuel and got improved performance as suggested by someone in the portal?
  4. Did you get a chance to change the tyres? if yes, which brand?
  5. How has been the fuel economy till now?
  6. Any niggles that you wished did not exist but is still present despite servicing?

Hope didn't bombard you with a lot of questions :-)

I have been looking for a used 7 seater MUV under 15L since last so many months and HEXA XTA (6 airbags is the primary requirement) is the only option I am getting in the USED market at that mileage otherwise Innova Crysta goes well beyond 1L kms.

Currently I am looking at one listed on Cars24: https://www.cars24.com/buy-used-tata...ai-1031726028/

Might as well get your opinion on the same?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Achint
achintatri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 00:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:

How has been your experience with the TASS especially in terms of parts availability?
Hi achintatri!

Apologies again for the delayed response.

Experience with TASS has been okay. The GM and SA have been helpful at all the three TASS I have experienced. The technicians at times have 'chalta-hai' attitude.

Regular spares and consumables are readily available. For rest parts, they order and get it usually within a week.

Quote:
Did you get any extended warranty from them?
The car already had an Extended Warranty of two years. It was bought at the time of purchase. Hence, total warranty is 5 years. It can not be extended beyond that.

Extended Warranty can be bought anytime before the main warranty expires. However, the later that you buy it, AFAIK, the more expensive it is likely to cost.

Quote:
Did you try any additives in the diesel fuel and got improved performance as suggested by someone in the portal?
I have heard good things about Adon-D super. However, I have not been able to source it yet. Don't expect too much of a bump in performance by using these additives alone. They usually help the engine to run smoother and clean the injectors. For added performance, a piggyback ECU or a remap are the way to go. Personally, I'm happy with the performance of Hexa.

Quote:
Did you get a chance to change the tyres? if yes, which brand?
I have changed the tyres today itself. Have got CEATs. Will update the thread about it tomorrow.

Quote:
How has been the fuel economy till now?
Highway drive on cruise control (100 kmph) is approx 14-15 kmpl.
City drive (normal moving traffic) is approx 10-12 kmpl.
City drive (slow moving traffic) is approx 08-09 kmpl.
All these are with full time AC on using tank-to-tank method.

Fuel economy drops when driven with heavy foot on highway ( up-shifts are later, hence its fun) or in slow moving traffic requiring repeated acceleration and braking. Worst seen till date is 7 kmpl where a distance of 12 kms was covered in an hour.

Quote:
Any niggles that you wished did not exist but is still present despite servicing?
Haha. The irony is that niggles come only after servicing. Blame it on TASS. Once rectified, the car runs like a dream. I will update the thread on the 36 month service experience soon.

Quote:
Currently I am looking at one listed on Cars24: https://www.cars24.com/buy-used-tata...ai-1031726028/

Might as well get your opinion on the same?
Check your DM.

Cheers,
Prashant
Prashant1286 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:49   #45
BHPian

Update 3: 36 Month Service and TASS Experience.

Lately, I have got many queries about the experience at TASS. This post, therefore, is a bit long as it deals with the service experience at TASS in detail. So once again, buckle up guys and grab your popcorn!

Background.

Like many Team BHPians, I was also skeptical about TASS. Now it was the time to taste waters. The Hexa was due for 36-month schedule, which is a major service involving change of all fluids and few more consumable parts. Also, the main warranty was expiring and I needed to get a few things fixed. The car had clocked approximately 39k kms.

Initial Visit for Diagnosis of Warranty Issues.

So, I took the car to SRT Coimbatore on 05 Mar 22, which was the last day of main warranty. The tasks to be accomplished were: -
  1. 36 Month scheduled service
  2. Middle bench not tumbling
  3. Coarseness in general and mild vibrations
  4. Suspension sound
  5. Irregular vibrations on steering
  6. Engine cover vibration
  7. Side step vibration
  8. RH rear door handle getting stuck occasionally
  9. BCM update for ORVM auto folding
  10. TVD change
  11. Check silencer and exhaust manifold for any leaks
  12. Change owner details and phone no
  13. And a few more.
Please note that these observations were compiled by keeping a keen eye on the car for over three months and approximately 4000 kms. Some of these could easily be ignored, but I wanted a car as perfect as it could be.

The GM and SA at SRT were helpful folks with a positive attitude. They promptly opened a job card and patiently noted down all the observations/ complaints I had. This was what the SA had written down over and above the routine stuff.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-addn-complaints.jpg

After that, they asked a senior technician to test-drive the car and diagnose the reason for coarseness. It was attributed to engine and gearbox mounts, which were to be replaced under warranty. The SA checked and found that the engine mounts were in stock but the one for the auto-box was to be ordered. Now this was a Saturday and their service center was filled with cars to max capacity. Nonetheless, they reverted within reasonable time and informed me that they could do the scheduled service but I will have to get the car back once the parts arrive. They also gave me an option of taking the car right then and getting it back once the parts arrive for warranty replacements as well as scheduled service in one go.

The max time expected for arrival of parts was 4-5 days and an appointment next week was possible with a caveat that I would have to drop the car with them for two days. This was a more suitable solution for me and I gladly accepted it.

On asking if the delay in service by one week would have any adverse effect on extended warranty, they assured that it won’t be the case as the job card was already opened. The estimate given was what I had shared in my previous post.

Overall, I left contended with this experience at TASS.

Second Visit for Dropping-off the Car.

After about 4 days, the SA informed me that the required parts had arrived and requested me to drop the car. However, I was busy that weekend and expressed my inability to do so. He politely informed me that it would be difficult for him to keep the job card open for more than 10 days. I requested him to bear with me and promised that I will positively drop the car next weekend. He understood my predicament and was supportive.

Finally, I dropped the car at SRT Coimbatore on 19 Mar 22, a fortnight after the initial visit. I also informed the SA that I shall collect the car back on next Saturday and added the task of repairing the damaged door.

There was no communication from SRT over next few days. Next Friday, I enquired about the status of the car. I was informed that the repair/ painting of the door was over and they were working on the scheduled service. I checked once again if they will be able to deliver the car on the promised date. The SA assured me that they will, but requested me to collect it after lunch hours.

Third Visit for Picking-up the Car.

On 26 Mar 22, I reached SRT Coimbatore at about 1500 Hrs. I was warmly received and offered a cup of coffee. On enquiring about the car, the SA said that there was some delay as they had found alignment issue with one of the engine mounts. The technicians were removing and re-fitting it.

I went to their workshop and saw the car raised with technicians working near the engine area. I knew that I would not be getting the car before evening, despite the SA promising me delivery within an hour.

Now, as an outstation customer I could have pressurised them to finish the job asap and deliver me the car or I could have let them work at their own pace, accepting quality work at the expense of time. I choose the latter. I noted couple of the parts which were changed.

Engine mounts along with dampeners on both side.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-2-engine-mount.jpg

Gearbox mount.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-2-gearbox-mount.jpg

Torsional Vibration Damper for driveshaft.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-2-tvd.jpg

Finally, the car was delivered at 1830 Hrs. It was spick and span. They had given it a thorough wash even when I had denied the washing service. Downside was that my plan to take the car to a detailing shop post-delivery was derailed due to the time taken as TASS.

First their senior technician did a test drive of the car and then it was driven by me. The car felt butter-smooth and there was a noticeable difference in vibrations pre-and-post servicing. Overall, I was happy.

The total damage to wallet was as under: -
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-bill-1.jpg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-bill-2.jpg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-bill-3.jpg
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-bill-4.jpg

Now, the Unacceptable Part.

I started the journey to my destination. It was supposed to be a two-and-a-half-hour drive. The first thing I noticed was this:
Name:  0 Washer Fluid.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  89.6 KB

After, driving for approximately 40 kms/ one hour, I felt that the steering was not as ‘direct’ as before. This was more evident when driving uphill on the winding roads. Another observation was that the car was slightly sluggish to respond to throttle inputs while overtaking.

I reached my destination at night. Out of habit, I popped open the hood and noticed this: -
The power steering fluid was spilled all over the engine bay.
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-0-ps-leak-1.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-0-ps-leak-2.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-0-ps-leak-4.jpg

Honestly, I was heartbroken and frustrated. Myriad of thoughts came to my mind –
  1. This was unsafe!
  2. What could have happened had the steering failed on the meandering roads of Nilgiris?
  3. TASS couldn’t do one job properly. They had the car with them for eight days and still, they were working on it at the last moment. On top of it, they have done such a shabby job.
I sent these pictures to the GM that night itself. He apologised and promised that he will revert in the morning. Still cursing myself for trusting TASS, I went off to sleep.

The Follow-up.

The next morning I opened the hood once again and noticed the issue. It appeared to be a case of overfilling of power steering fluid which apparently was discarded from the reservoir. I checked for loose hoses/ leaks but could not find any. Finally, I drained about 50 ml of fluid from the reservoir and took the car for a spin. The steering was much more lively and ‘direct’ as before. The level of fluid in the reservoir after spill plus draining was as depicted in this picture:
Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-0-ps-leak-5.jpg

Trying to figure out the reason for sluggishness, as suggested by an experienced Hexa owner, I ran the engine at 1000, 1350, 1700 and 2000 rpms while looking for any apparent leak from turbocharger or inter-cooler plumbing but could not establish anything. Finally, I let the car be.

Later in the morning, I got a message from the GM that he would get the car picked up from my place on Tuesday and will get it dropped after rectification. I was okay with this.

Now suspicious, I started noticing smaller issues like these:

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-3-panel-gap.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-3-panel-gap-2.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-3-panel-gap-3.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-3-eng-cover.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-3-firewall.jpg

Meanwhile, the tyres which I had ordered for Hexa had arrived in Coimbatore. Therefore, I decided that I will take the car once again to Coimbatore on the upcoming Saturday to get both- the rectification and tyre change done on the same date. I informed the GM accordingly.

An Additional Visit to TASS.

So, on 02 Apr 22, I was once again at SRT (fourth visit in a month)!!! I was once again received with warmth. The complaints were noted down and thoroughly checked.

There were no traces of leaks found in the power steering system. It was a classic case of fluid overfill. There was no leak in the windshield washer reservoir as well and the warning was because the technician had not filled water in the system. Turbocharger and intercooler plumbing were thoroughly checked and were found okay. The diagnosis laptop was connected to the car and boost values were found to be within limits. I requested for SPCS/ MDP update but for reasons beyond my understanding, this test which normally take 20-25 mins finished in a matter of seconds for my car !

Name:  GIF.gif
Views: 1126
Size:  4.38 MB

The door which was repainted was rubbed with 3M rubbing compound to correct a minor mismatch. The technicians and SA tried their level best to reduce the panel gap for the steering panel but couldn’t. They were confident of fixing the panel gap on bumper but I denied that since it would involve taking off the bumper. Overall, it was evident that these guys were doing everything within their capacity to resolve the issues.

I shall now summarise the Pros and Cons of TASS in the subsequent paragraphs. Do note that these are based on my experience and are not meant to promote/ dissuade anyone.

Pros of TASS.
  • Attitude of SAs and GMs
  • Customer centric approach
  • No hesitation to honour warranty
  • Sincere efforts to resolve issues up to the best of their abilities
  • Good expertise at most major service centers
  • Fairly competent at handling mechanical issues
  • Not cheap, but not money minded as well
Cons of TASS.
  • Often loaded with more cars than what they can handle
  • Technicians with ‘Chalta-Hai’ attitude are present at every TASS
  • Finesse, especially in closing body panels, is a rare find
  • May not always stick to timelines
  • Need to be prepared to take the car to TASS once again after a service
  • Limited expertise in handling electronics/ technology in Tata cars
The Final Verdict.

I have taken the pains to document this experience with TASS primarily because there were too many queries regarding the service experience at TASS here on this forum, as well as through other media. I have also noticed that while the official team BHP reviews rightly mention TASS as a ‘hit or miss’, few members take it more towards the ‘miss’ side of affairs. It appears that TASS have been stereotyped and maybe they deserve it. But let me honestly admit that the SAs and GMs at all three TASS that I have been to have had a very positive and friendly attitude. Their approach was customer centric and they sincerely tried to resolve any issues. The way they handled inspection/ warranty/ repairs in my car was commendable. The faux pas they did this time is insignificant to what I had to endure at Maruti Service Masters, Chennai in 2015. But that’s for some other time.

In the same breath, TASS will have to improve themselves significantly if they don’t want to be weak links in the Tata motors ecosystem.

PS: The car now rides like a dream. Its unbelievably smooth for an Indian made diesel car. Hope that this joyous experience with Hexa continues for years to come. Now a few pictures of the beast for visual delight.

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1-front-1.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1-rear-1.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1-front-2.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1-side.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1-front-3.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-1-front-4.jpg

PPS: Another post will be coming soon regarding change of tyres and Treel TPMS. It's still a work under progress, but for now, this is the teaser:

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-ceat.jpg

Serendipity: Taking home a Pre-owned Tata Hexa XTA-treel-box.jpg

Happy Driving,
Prashant
Prashant1286 is offline   (48) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks