Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 09:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review

Good review and I share the same opinion as you have mentioned, being a recent owner of a Harrier XZ+ (an upgrade overt the trusted Diesel Vitara Brezza ZDi+ of 5 yrs). Having clocked over 2200 kms in 40 days the engine is now easing up a bit. Yes there are few rough edges which can be worked on, but overall i'm happy with the buy.
Happy Harriering
Attached Thumbnails
Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-tata-harrier-profile.jpg  

Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-tata-harrier-side.jpg  

mridul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 12:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridul View Post
Good review and I share the same opinion as you have mentioned, being a recent owner of a Harrier XZ+.
Wow that car is a looker. I love the way those black alloys look on your car. The red DT is also a magnificent shade.
Old 9th December 2021, 14:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
If you have any specific threads with feedback for services please do let me know.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ervice-15.html (Tata cars - Reliability and service?)

You can check out this thread - the latest posts also reflect the improved service experience in recent times.

I would recommend TC Motors, Dulichand and also KB Motors, but TC Motors has an edge as my service advisor Mr. Singh is extremely knowledgeable. Their body shop manager Mr. Santu is also a very affable and cooperative guy. Dulichand was earlier a Chevy service centre and I know the service manager Mr. Anirban Sinha from those days. The entire Chevy service team moved to Tata but I found issues in their knowledge of Tata cars on one occasion just after the transition (they could not fix a problem that TC Motors could). Do note that this feedback is from a few years ago and they may have improved since then - for the last 3-4 years I have been going to TC Motors exclusively - earlier I used to alternate between different service centres depending on which one could pick up my car on my preferred date.
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:48   #19

Re: Black and White : My Tata Harrier XZ+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post
Living with the Tata Harrier
This car looks amazing from any angle and the paint shade takes those looks to another level.

The black and white Dual Tone option definitely looks much better in the flesh than in pictures and is a real head-turner. The blacked out pillars give it the illusion of a floating roof that goes really well with the Harriers side profile. These pictures definitely do not do justice to the way this paint shade looks in person and I highly recommend checking out the Dual-Tone version if you are in the market for a Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_ONE View Post
For those getting confused regarding the colour choice for the Harrier (as it offers many great ones) I'll share my perceptions as they evolved over 4 years (from the glossy Calisto Copper of of the H5X concept to the rugged Camo Green of the 2020 BS6 but first a quick disclaimer:

The opinions expressed underneath are personal & in no way I imply the're universal, with no offence granted/taken to/from current & prospective owners.

Imo Colours impart a unique character to the overall look of a car, the way our apparel implies a superficial perception unto our personality

We are able to appreciate the looks & subtleties of a colour (as per our taste) only by comparing it to other shades & if everyone bought a single "best" colour, it would be the most depressing colour of all time. So, variety is spice of life.

The best way to figure out the best colour for oneself is to always see the car in person (true especially w.r.t the Harrier). Pictures & videos can be a bit misleading sometimes, as we often say about our sefies or not being able to replicate the actual beauty of a landscape infront of our eyes in our photos. But it is not always possible due to various reasons (unavailability of the colour at the dealer etc) & t/f I'm directly listing here my perceptions.

Cars actually seen in person: Calisto Copper, Orcus White, Ariel Silver, Telesto Grey, Atlas Black (Dark Edition), White/Black DT, Red/Black DT
Cars not seen (in person): Thermisto Gold, Red Single Tone, Camo Green

Now coming back to the Harrier, I genuinely feel almost all the colours offered look great on the Harrier (it's such an accomodating design) but I'll just mention the top 3 which probably would be in most people's shortlist (of the one's which I've actually seen in person):

1. Red/Black (DT):
> Imparts an Edgy/Sporty character with a distinct flair & vibrance.
> The diamond cut alloys (+ trims) probably look the best on this schema, as both red & black offer a deeper contrast to the metallic alloys as compared to, say a White/Black DT
> Trendy: i.e. the contemporary trend of the popular paints schemas of the period will influence how you perceive the colour. So not exactly ageless.
> Looks a bit better in pictures than in person.
> 2nd best imo overall.

2. White/Black (DT):
> Regality of White with sophistication of Black i.e. Timeless Sophistication.
> Imparts an European(esque) feel to the overall look of the car.
> Illusion of a significantly enhanced presence compared to, say, a Dark Edition.
> The marriage of white, black & tan (interiors) is the only instance of elusive threesome of fantasies that I know of.
> The grey alloys in the lower trims gel well with the White/Black DT as compared to, say, the Red/Black DT.
> Advantages of White from maintenance viewpoint.
> Looks the 'worst' in pictures but the best in person.
> The best looking paint schema imo.

3. Atlas Black (Dark Edition):
> The most fantasized colour – the Alien (Venom), the Mutant, the Gansta
> Looks the indisputable best in pictures & videos (& hence all the romanticizing). No one even comes close (save for, maybe, the Red/Black DT)
> But looks a bit underwhelming in person, vis-a-vis the White/Black DT especially if both have collected some dust.
> Maintenance nightmare – dust magnet, scratch revealer, dent flaunter. Looks faded & old easily, if not kept dust free.
> Dark interiors do not feel as airy & "premium" (as all the others with tan interiors) with an illusion of lesser than available space
> Dual tone Metallic alloys, offered on others might have looked more elegant than the All black (single tone) Diamond cut alloys on Dark Edition. Also, the Grey rims from the 2nd top trim onwards look slightly incompatible with the deep glossy black of the rest of the body.
> Expensive by (25 + 5) = 30K

Now, finally, the next step: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4986366 (Xpel Paint Protection Film on my Jeep Compass)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4997047
Predator_ONE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 11:45   #20
BHPian

First of all, congratulations on the acquisition of this new beast. Tata Harrier is one of the better looking SUVs in the market and that upgraded 2.0 Kryotec engine with upgraded state of tune packing 170PS and 350Nm helps it to keep a steady pace with even other expensive machineries also that awesome suspension along with those beefy tyres just decimate the surface imperfections into submission, also its generous width helps in enhancing the second row space. Tata Motors no doubt have created one of the best SUVs in the segment but if they could take care of small issues like equipping better high-resolution touchscreen+rear-view camera and enhancing the gearbox+clutch in the manual Transmission will put icing on the cake but still overall a very good package nonetheless and worth buying. Wish you many happy miles with you machine, stay safe and happy motoring !
Tony2298 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 16:25   #21

Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-pxl_20211225_094419481.portrait.jpg
It's been more than a month since the Harrier first came home and I wrote my first ownership report. Since then, the car has moved to Chennai where it immediately picked up two scratches on its first day thanks to a careless auto driver.

When I complained of the car not being able to move off in second gear, most Harrier owners told me that this is part of the cars running-in period and it should get better once I add more kilometres. I'm not sure if it's because I've gotten used to the engine's characteristics but the 2nd gear pickup has improved and overall the engine definitely seems to be a lot smoother.

One of the major reasons for picking up the Harrier was the way it drove and how much fun it was. The low-end grunt from that engine is so addictive that I find myself putting the car in Sport Mode most of the time just to feel the car pulling hard from a standstill. The Harrier got to see a lot more highway driving the past month with over 60% of the kilometres added since then coming from highway runs. This car is definitely made to be a mile muncher and it must be even more comfortable in its automatic avatar.

Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-pxl_20211221_225102432.night.jpg
Empty roads and Sport Mode.

In search of a restaurant that served excellent fish fry and was located on the outskirts of the city, I took a couple wrong turns and ended up facing a
large stretch of mud and slush. While the Seltos that went before us kept sliding and struggled to get out of the mud, the Harrier was unfazed and went through the whole stretch with no drama. I was fully prepared for a struggle and the Harriers soft off-roading capabilities took me by surprise.

The cruise control is easy and intuitive to use, but in the manual version you need to make sure the car is in a cruising gear first as otherwise there is a fair bit of engine noise and it is sure to impact fuel efficiency.

After fiddling around with the infotainment system for a while, I finally figured out how to cast directions and music info to the digital info cluster. This has been a game-changer as I don't need to take my eyes off the road anymore when I am using Google Maps.

In the first post of my ownership report, I mentioned how the Android Auto was a little slow and the system took a while to respond. Surprisingly, this is not an issue with Apple Carplay. The interface is a lot smoother and snappier and I've slowly started using my iPhone instead of an Android to cast stuff. This may be off-topic, but the difference in quality between Apple Music and Spotify is huge and the former sounds so much better with the Harriers music system.

A couple minor issues have popped up within this time period. After pushing the car hard for a while, there is always a whoosh sound that comes from the brakes when you slow down. Give it enough time and the noise disappears, but it always pops up after a session of spirited driving. Braking performance doesn't seem to be impacted at all which is why I don't think its too much of an issue.

A few weeks ago, the infotainment system kept pausing songs on Apple Carplay and refused to play anything else other than FM stations, but a quick reset of the system fixed that.

If I had to nitpick, another annoying quality of the Harrier is its tendency to self cancel the indicators if the steering wheel is turned in the opposite direction of the turn indicator. I understand that there are instances where such a feature is useful, but there are certain turns and junctions where this becomes an issue.

Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-pxl_20211222_152755694.jpg
Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-pxl_20211222_152841456.jpg

Finally managed to take the Harrier away from the city and introduced it to dirt roads

During this time period, I've had to ferry friends and relatives around in the Harrier. Most of them are impressed by the way it looks and its stance, and the panoramic sunroof is definitely a crowd-pleaser. My mother did mention that the engine noise is a lot more louder in the cabin compared to the Creta and she refers to the Harrier as our personal lorry due to its size and the loud rumble when it starts up, but she is full of praise for how comfortable the car is.

With the Harrier doing duty in Chennai now, I use a Honda Brio now for most of my commutes and while do I love the zippy nature of the little hatchback, I find myself missing the low-end grunt and the fun that came with the Harrier. The car is up for its first service and I am waiting to see if the infotainment system sees any improvement after the software update.

So far, Tata Motors and the Harrier have not put a foot wrong and I'm excited to put more miles once the car comes back.

Black and White | My Tata Harrier XZ+ Ownership Review-pxl_20211225_094307407.jpg
I love the way she looks from this angle.
ellusiv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 19:54   #22
BHPian

Did anyone face full car shake-up/vibration during idling or at slow speeds in your manual Harrier? Did you fix the issue? what is the fix?
Old 29th April 2022, 12:07   #23

Regarding the annoyance of the indicator switching off,I find it on Punch too.Like if want to turn right,and I turn the steering a wee left to accommodate the round about, the indicator switches off.Is there a solution?
Old 12th May 2022, 23:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Did anyone face full car shake-up/vibration during idling or at slow speeds in your manual Harrier? Did you fix the issue? what is the fix?
The car does rumble quite a bit on startup like an old SUV, but slow speeds and idling has mostly been very comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorankee View Post
Regarding the annoyance of the indicator switching off,I find it on Punch too.Like if want to turn right,and I turn the steering a wee left to accommodate the round about, the indicator switches off.Is there a solution?
This is a problem I face too. My Honda Brio does not have this issue and I have no idea why this is a thing for the Harrier. I remember experiencing the same issue on another car I drove recently so it must be a manufacturer choice.
Old 31st August 2022, 20:32   #25

Firstly, Congratulations on your purchase. Wish you happy miles ahead
I own the same version of Harrier XZ+, purchased in March’22. The car predominantly does Highway runs and currently done ~18000kms. The only issue that concerns me is that I had to change the front brake pads at around 9000kms, which to my surprise were completely worn out. I went to the service Center and to my surprise, the SA stated the brake pad life for manual version of Harrier/ Safari is only around 12000-13000 kms.
Now that the ODO is on 18000kms and running on the new set of brake pads, the creaking sound of brakes is back and I’m worried if I’ll have to change the brake pads again.
I’m worried if this is going to be a mandatory change for every 10000kms or so and the associated charges (around Rs6500/- for purchase & installation).
I would request the forum members to help me on this matter, if this is a known issue? If anyone is facing a similar issue?
The SA and TASC are hesitant to take this matter seriously and I’m confident that this forum is the only place I could find the right answer.
-Varun
Old 10th April 2023, 15:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post

A couple minor issues have popped up within this time period. After pushing the car hard for a while, there is always a whoosh sound that comes from the brakes when you slow down. Give it enough time and the noise disappears, but it always pops up after a session of spirited driving. Braking performance doesn't seem to be impacted at all which is why I don't think its too much of an issue.
Did you find a solution to this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks