Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 14:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

Seriously a perfect choice . A true Blue SUV rather than all the MPVish competition out there in the market . It's a handsome vehicle indeed which matches the real definition of a SUV . In my recent Ladakh trip saw a big group of Safaris _ might be 12-14 of them ) just cruising along the terrain which were a perfect match for that kind of surroundings. Loved the sight too much .
Will be waiting for your Ladakh review the new blue beast .
quattroa4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 14:25   #17
BHPian

Re: Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review

Thank you for the detailed and un-biased review . It is a god-send as I am in the process of finalizing my next ride between Safari / Harrier / XUV 700. This write up gives me points that will help me in making the choice. I am a bit worried about the third row ingress of the Safari, though it is much comfortable place to be than the third row of the XUV700.
Also - I am torn between the killer looks of the Harrier Dark edition and the practicality of the Safari (classic heart and head tussle).
New2Carz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 21:09   #18
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed review of your "Sapphire". High Quality review and very informative especially the "leatherette" part and is very useful for fence sitters like me who are thinking twice before putting 25 Big Ones on a Tata SUV (In fact I had cancelled my Safari XT Manual booking after Test Driving the Auto)

Inputs on the following points would be really helpful:

1. Ride Quality as compared to Innova Crysta?
2. Rough road experience with Safari?
3. If 7 seater is not a strict necessity does the harrier makes a better deal with 17 inch high profile tyres and the non white interiors?
4. Are the Niggles reported everywhere a deal breaker for the Safari?
LivingCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:09   #19

Thank You for the impeccable review!
You have perfectly differentiated the cars for the people who are confused between Safari and XUV! This will make their buying decision easier to achieve!
Let me point out the jist of it,
Safari is for someone who isn't tech savvy and needs a car that has the basics and no more, wants a more butch and "SUV" SUV if that makes sense? Someone who wants more space and comfort and a usable 3rd row, and if you are chauffeur driven then Safari is the one.

XUV is for the more adventurous of the lot! The one who want the latest and greatest, a futuristic car that can stand the test of time. It's for someone who wants a powerful car and is going to utilise the features to the fullest!

The only essentials Safari misses based on my opinion are:
1. 360° Camera
2. Better infotainment
3. AWD / 4x4
Old 1st November 2021, 23:12   #20
BHPian

I will be moving from Ecosport (already sold: Ecosport TDCI S) to Harrier #Dark Edition XZA Plus by the end of this week. I did look at safari, but I don't have a requirement for 7 seaters. Even with Ecosport, I hardly took 5 folks in it.

While shortlisting, I TDed Tuscon, Compass, XUV700, GLA (pre-owned), Safari. Below are some factors which helped me narrow it down to Harrier.

Tuscon: Family did not like the styling. After owning, RaceRed Ecosport S, my family thought, Tuscon is more of a soft-roader by "design". Not that I do any off-roading . I was offered 31.80 for the 2WD (On-road Bangalore).

Compass: Sluggish auto-gearbox compared to Harrier or even Tuscon and Very expensive. I think it should be priced a couple of lakhs less on the top variant.

XUV700: Too much tech. Like others, I also did not want to buy a freshly baked tech & the tech is not coming from Audi/Merc/Toyota to trust blindly. The tech was from Mahindra. Secondly, Mahindra service is no Toyota. IMHO, the steering feedback from XUV's TDed did not connect with me. Was too light for me with very little feedback. Coming from Punto, Ecosport, Duster this was very important for us.

GLA: Everyone liked it. But going pre-owned route on an unknown territory (luxury car) for the first time is something we all decided against the GLA. It was priced pretty similar to the Harrier XZA.

Thar Diesel AT HT: Cons- Waiting period + Boot Space. I wanted at least two medium-sized suitcases to fit.

Innova Automatic: My family was against me buying a boat (Luxurious). Mostly for its MPV looks.

Harrier: I wanted automatic and diesel. Harrier fell in that sweet spot. Dark Edition sealed the deal. Initially, during my first TD, I did not believe in those driving modes. Man, after I drove it, I fell in love with it.
We all spoke few hours on the Tata ASS. But, when we looked at all cars which we shortlisted, none of them were without the troubles of their own. Compass (Uncertianily on Jeep after Ford's exit), Tuscon (New upcoming variant), XUV700 (Too much tech), Thar (Boot space) & Innova (MPV looks)
shashi792 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 23:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Here’s wishing you many happy and safe miles of motoring in the beautiful blue machine!
Thank for the wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Looks like you exited Ford at the right time, just before they exited.

I lost interest after the initial issues with Harrier and didn't like the looks of the 7 seater version. Later, a casual test drive of Compass happened and rest is history

Wishing you many many happy and safe miles.
Thanks anna for the wishes. Compass was the one we had in our mind too until a year back though I didn't want to change the Ecosport. Then plans changed a bit so had to look out for the 7 seater. Tata needs to go a long way in quality control both at the factory and in its service centre.

And yes, I never thought Ford would exit India given how established they were. If you ask me, I am still in love with the EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitSat View Post
I picked up Safari over Innova, for exact same reasons as stated by you. Was floored by the stance , the looks and the way Safari drove.
Cheers.
Yes, it's a subjective one but looks was a deal breaker for the Innova. Psychologically, I felt I would brand myself old with the Innova.

Thanks for the wishes and enjoy your ride too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeemnajeeb View Post
Regarding wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, I think the system has wireless capability in it. Before the first service, my infotainment was bearing the "Pre-Production" watermark. In that version, I remember using wireless Apple CarPlay. Ever since they updated the firmware in the 2,000km service, I lost the wireless capability.
Thanks for the wishes. I still can't understand why Tata is so stingy. If it is available why not provide it. These are more of must have in a car of this segment. Keep us posted of you find an alternative. I am looking at buying the AA wireless or Carsifi if they don't provide it via an OTA update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Congratulations! Wish you many happy miles with the Safari. How would you rate the ride comfort over bad roads compared to the Innova and the Compass?
Thanks for the wishes. I can't comment vs the Compass. But compared to the Innova it has a stiffer ride. However, post 40kmph the Safari irons.out the undulations better and handles better too. Though I have been riding in the twisty roads Kerala for the past 2 weeks, I can say body roll is well controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeladri View Post
Brilliant review! Very detailed and importantly non-judgemental.
Thanks for the wishes.

I wouldn't instantaneously recommend Safari to a person who owns a Vento and an Endeavour because they are too good in their segments and have lot of 'better' things to call out in them. That said, if you can re-tune your expectation to moderate levels, then the Safari will be a delight. The Safari is otherwise a great package IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Congratulations on the car. A very detailed review. Similar to the old official reviews. Liked the sections and appropriate details. Enjoy your drive.
Thank you for the wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
Seriously a perfect choice . A true Blue SUV rather than all the MPVish competition out there in the market .
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Carz View Post
Thank you for the detailed and un-biased review . It is a god-send as I am in the process of finalizing my next ride between Safari / Harrier / XUV 700. This write up gives me points that will help me in making the choice. I am a bit worried about the third row ingress of the Safari, though it is much comfortable place to be than the third row of the XUV700.
Also - I am torn between the killer looks of the Harrier Dark edition and the practicality of the Safari (classic heart and head tussle).
Absolutely, the black Harrier looks awesome! Not sure why is not available for the Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingCars View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed review of your "Sapphire". High Quality review and very informative

Inputs on the following points would be really helpful:

1. Ride Quality as compared to Innova Crysta?
2. Rough road experience with Safari?
3. If 7 seater is not a strict necessity does the harrier makes a better deal with 17 inch high profile tyres and the non white interiors?
4. Are the Niggles reported everywhere a deal breaker for the Safari.tussle).
I have explained the ride vs the Innova just a few posts before.
It irons out the uneven patches very well at higher speeds but at lower speeds you will feel it.
If 7 seater is not a must go for the Harrier.
On the niggles, I haven't seen any major issue so far other than the minor ones mentioned.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st November 2021 at 10:18. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
- It takes a strong heart to put 25 lakhs on a Tata.
- finally took the leap of faith and booked the 7-seater XZA variant of the Tata Safari (Automatic, top end, without sun-roof)
Congratulations, @Jude300, on a very bold decision; and more than bold, a sensible one of saying no to the sunroof. This feature is just not necessary in India, and particularly in a hot state like TN.

In India, the sunroof is generally used by passengers wanting to stick their heads out and have the wind-in-the-face feeling while driving around town. I'm surprised to see a lot of educated folks wanting a sunroof and ending up not even using it.

Another strange trend that I'm seeing is people wanting more airbags. In my view, safety lies primarily with the driver and two airbags for the front are adequate.

Quote:
To be sure that I am covered for any unthinkable failures, I have opted for the additional 3-year unlimited KM extended warranty
Another sensible decision in today's world.

Quote:
- Excellent drivability in the city and the highways
- Though huge, it drives more like a car and is easy to maneuver. The monocoque platform shows its strengths in the way it handles too.
Nice to see this in a car this large.

Quote:
- No Wireless Android Auto / Car play / wireless charging. SHAME ON YOU TATA for not launching with these features. (I missed it by a whisker as an update to feature list included it in from the following month)
- WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO SHORTEN “Leatherette” to “Leather” – Purely with an intention to mislead the customer
Things like this, especially quiet addition of features in later variants, become a sore point for a buyer who has just plonked 25 big ones. If I were the manufacturer, I'd recall all the cars sold until six months before the features change and provide them. This would go a long way in building consumer respect for a brand.

Quote:
The 18” rims add to the height lower profile = slightly bouncier ride + more expensive to change tires. The stock tires are 235/60 R18
Well, yet another way to woo customers today is to increase the rim size, and then the consumer pays exponentially higher when it is time for tyre replacements. A 60 profile is good enough, but I'd prefer 235/70R16 for this car for a more comfy ride. Having said that, 16" as a standard offering would have had no takers in the market.

Quote:
- pain in maintaining the seats given its light colour,
- leatherette wrapped door handles and the padded armrests on the door are are a nice touch and adds to the premium feel
Yes, light seats are tough to maintain. Ask me - I've maintained Stanley leather seats in my car for many years now. I use wet wipes to keep them clean and a good Vinyl Leather polish to keep them supple. Wet wipes are good one to a seat, while the applicator for the polish has to be absolutely clean so as not to leave stains on the light surface.

The leatherette door handles will look good now, but I expect them to crack up/peel and become an eyesore later - Please consider using a leatherette velcro wrap or something to wrap around the grab handles and keep the original stuff intact.

Sharing a pic of my car's ivory seats in pure leather. Have managed to keep them looking good even after 14 years.

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-lightseats_gv.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 2nd November 2021 at 08:32.
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 22:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Yes, light seats are tough to maintain. Ask me - I've maintained Stanley leather seats in my car for many years now. I use wet wipes to keep them clean and a good Vinyl Leather polish to keep them supple. Wet wipes are good one to a seat, while the applicator for the polish has to be absolutely clean so as not to leave stains on the light surface.

Sharing a pic of my car's ivory seats in pure leather. Have managed to keep them looking good even after 14 years.
Thank you for the wishes and your insights. Your car seats look brand new after all the years.

A couple of questions I have, do you use any specific wet wipes for the car seats or just the usual ones we get? Please suggest a good vinyl leather polish as I have not used any so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
I will be moving from Ecosport (already sold: Ecosport TDCI S) to Harrier #Dark Edition XZA Plus by the end of this week. I did look at safari, but I don't have a requirement for 7 seaters. Even with Ecosport, I hardly took 5 folks in it.
Good decision. If you don't have the need for the 7 seater, Harrier is a great choice. And as I have mentioned in the review the Dark edition looks awesome on the Harrier. I wish Safari had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kousie_Arima View Post
The only essentials Safari misses based on my opinion are:
1. 360° Camera
2. Better infotainment
3. AWD / 4x4
Thanks for your wishes.

On the essentials, I would definitely would ask for better infotainment system. I am happy with the JBL audio system though I am an ardent fan of Sony.

I can live without 360° Camera and AWD, the latter will hardly be put to proper use in my case.
Old 8th November 2021, 13:04   #24
BHPian

Sapphire on its maiden trip to the hills:

I did a day trip to Munnar yesterday with 4 adults and 3 kids onboard covering 236 kms (to & fro). It was a fantastic drive and the Safari did a great job. For those who have already been the Kothamangalam - Munnar route will know the perculiar ever winding roads through the way. It's rare to find even a short open stretch.

While I was already pleased with how it handled, driving through this road I can very confidently say that the Safari felt planted and very predictable around the twists and turns. The body roll was very well controlled as I did get to sit on all three rows. I actually felt it was better than the EcoSport (quite a surprise).

The suspension was at its best with almost a full house and it was easy to maneuver through the narrow ghat roads too and I will say it again, it drives more like a car and you don't feel it's size. The automatic gearbox did slot in to the right gears as required and there was absolutely no drama.

While I wasn't in love with the car when I booked it but my status has changed eversince I got my hands on it. I am falling in love with it more and more with every passing day.

Now it's time to get the first service done. Not sure where to take it. If anyone can suggest a good service centre near Kollenchery, Ernakulam that would be really helpful.
Jude300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:12   #25
BHPian

Hey Jude, congrats on your Sapphire and nice to hear that you are enjoying it to a greater extend.

I had driven a Harrier AT from Trivandrum to Mumbai and fell in love with this engine gearbox combo. I have almost made up my mind that my next car will be from Safari / Harrier twins.

I had gone through your detailed review, but 1 question remains. Do Safari 7 seater middle row got any recline option like XUV700 ? or is it just fixed at one point ?
northstar* is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 21:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
I had gone through your detailed review, but 1 question remains. Do Safari 7 seater middle row got any recline option like XUV700 ? or is it just fixed at one point ?
That's the best part of the Safari. You could slide the 2nd row seats forward and backwards and also recline to a comfortable angle. Yesterday, we used the second row all the way forward and at its normal recline angle to help give more space for 3rd row occupants. I can tell you we had enough leg room and we're comfortable throughout.

Thus it offers more practicallity and comfort.
Jude300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 18:13   #27

Hey Jude300, I thoroughly enjoyed your review of the Safari. Congratulations on buying such a great car. I wish you many more happy and safe kilometres with your Sapphire.

I'm also planning on buying a 7 seater and being a joint family
of 6 people, we are going to travel together. So my question to you is that, can 2 adults seat properly and somewhat comfortably in the 3rd row?

Thanks in advance.
JigarKansagara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigarKansagara View Post
I'm also planning on buying a 7 seater and being a joint family
of 6 people, we are going to travel together. So my question to you is that, can 2 adults seat properly and somewhat comfortably in the 3rd row?
Thanks for your wishes.

Well, the simple answer would be "Yes" if it is for a short ride 2 - 3 hours max, 'no' if longer. Well, that said, it has the most comfortable 3rd row in the segment without a doubt. In this segment, the 3rd row is not very suitable for adults. Please do try out the same in a test drive of all the options in your list. Innova Crysta comes close but it is ridiculous that Toyota considers the 3rd row as a 3 seater

Last edited by Jude300 : 12th November 2021 at 21:49.
Old 16th November 2021, 23:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
That's the best part of the Safari. You could slide the 2nd row seats forward and backwards and also recline to a comfortable angle.
Great to know that. In fact, I haven't seen the recline of the bench seat mentioned anywhere on the online reviews. Do share a few pics when possible.

Have you done the first service?
Old 17th November 2021, 18:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
Great to know that. In fact, I haven't seen the recline of the bench seat mentioned anywhere on the online reviews. Do share a few pics when possible.

Have you done the first service?
Well yes, if you are looking for passenger comfort Safari ticks the boxes and has an edge over the competition. This was point 3 in "what I like" list of the Safari. Some pics for reference.

Normal seating

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-img_20211117_180231_copy_1600x1200.jpg

Normal seating & one seat reclined

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-img_20211117_180311_copy_1600x1200.jpg

Normal seating & both seats reclined

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-img_20211117_180359_copy_1600x1200.jpg

One seat forward (max) & other push to the back (max) and both reclined

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-img_20211117_180452_copy_1600x1200.jpg

Both seats pushed to the back and fully reclined

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-img_20211117_180504_copy_1600x1200.jpg

Both seats pushed to the front and fully reclined

Sapphire – My Royal Blue 2021 Tata Safari XZA 7-seater (AT) Ownership Review-img_20211117_180522_copy_1600x1200.jpg

First service update:

With nearly 2200kms on the ODO, took my Safari for first service. Since I am now in Kerala had to opt for Malayalam Vehicles, Vazhakkala, Ernakulam. Had booked the appointment at 7AM and was there on time. Was the 5th in queue and was assigned a SA by 7:35AM. Since it was first service there was nothing they could charge me and the SA was looking to sell underbody coating which I didn't agree too.

Had 2 issues that I had to report.
1. The wiper liquid didn't spray properly - this is now sorted
2. When playing music on Android Auto, if I receive a call and then hang up, the music will start to play from my mobile and not the speaker. Haven't tested if it was an issue with my phone or the infotainment but did mention it to the SA. - A reset was done but still persist. Will need to check if it's my phone that's at fault

Overall, the initial interaction with the SA was just average. He wasn't keen to listen to the issues but more keen to sell products.

The issue:

I decided to wait and take the car back and as I was waiting the SA came and updated that the clamp to hold the battery was not there in the car and could have been misplaced during the PDI. The SA wanted to get it confirmed with Lakshmi Tata, Chennai and agree on replacing it due to cost involved.

A pleasant customer experience:

Well, I didn't want to take the long route and sent a note to Tata motors, sales team of Lakshmi Tata and service manager of the Malayalam Vehicles with pics and a video. Then made a call to CRM from Tata motors and he gave me the contact for one who manages service related issues. I spoke to him and he assured of sorting it out soon and asked me for the details of the service manager at Malayalam Vehicles. In a few mins got a call from service GM of Lakshmi Tata who had already spoken with service manager at Malayalam Vehicles. He assured that he will take care of the issue and sort it out. The part was sourced and was fixed for which I had to wait a while. I have borne the its cost ₹88 for now but GM of Lakshmi Tata has offered to give a free car wash when I am back in Chennai to compensate for that. Nothing in writing so will update on that when I get it done. But the response from the SA improved drastically after the quick response and support from Tata motors.

The service:

First service is just basic checks and filling up of DEF. Was charged for 7 liters of DEF. It should be noted that the DEF was delivered with half tank full. Not sure if it's Tata that is cutting cost by not providing a full tank of DEF at delivery.

Overall, happy with the service though it could have been completed faster. I used to get a full service for the Ecosport completed in the same time at Ford.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks