Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2023, 18:16   #106

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride

I've been manifesting a XC40 for a couple years; finally bit the bullet and booked it a couple weeks ago at Martial Motors - Bangalore. Delivery is planned for end of June.

It took me a few tries at registering to ask this query.

1. Referred to the detailed PDI threads and followed them. Since the vehicle was not in a transport mode, couldn't follow through the PDI in entirety but was able to do the basics.

2. While doing the PDI, noticed that there is no under-hood insulation. On checking with the SA, I was told that the engine bay is insulated but I need to check it when I go for the PDI again sometime this week

Q - Has anyone got aftermarket under-hood insulation installed? Does it help or is it inconsequential?

Pictures are from the MM stockyard in Sarjapur.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-pxl_20230617_054853883.jpg

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-pxl_20230617_055043016.jpg

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-pxl_20230617_061037304.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th June 2023 at 18:24. Reason: Post formatting
sid_moghe is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2023, 11:48   #107

The latest price and car specifications for XC40 in Bengaluru are attached below. I happened to see there was a discount on the Volvo India website ( substantiated by a post on this forum as well ) and questioned the Sales advisor before he sent me the quote for my car.

He then added that discount as a discount that was being offered by Martial Motors and I had to correct him stating that the discount was from Volvo and not Martial Motors.

With the Onroad price coming in close to 58L including the service package, I pushed for making it 58L AI, however, I fell short on that and closed the deal at 58L 4 thousand . I was able to get a discount of 10K inr in total.

Attachment:

1. in Excel - Quote from Martial Motors
2. Spec Sheet
3. Default Volvo Price List
4. Accessories Quotes ( check the pillows, each costs 11k INR )
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20230601-3.21.32-pm.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf XC40 PRICE LIST.pdf (478.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: xlsx XC40.xlsx (186.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: pdf MY23 XC40 Spec Sheet.pdf (2.10 MB, 171 views)
sid_moghe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 01:07   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_moghe View Post
The latest price and car specifications for XC40 in Bengaluru are attached below. I happened to see there was a discount on the Volvo India website ( substantiated by a post on this forum as well ) and questioned the Sales advisor before he sent me the quote for my car.

He then added that discount as a discount that was being offered by Martial Motors and I had to correct him stating that the discount was from Volvo and not Martial Motors.

With the Onroad price coming in close to 58L including the service package, I pushed for making it 58L AI, however, I fell short on that and closed the deal at 58L 4 thousand . I was able to get a discount of 10K inr in total.

Attachment:

2. Spec Sheet

Congrats on your new XC40, wishing you a lot of happy miles with this wonderful machine, for the PDI yes, you can only do basics but do a comprehensive check when taking delivery of your vehicle. I discovered a dent on mine when taking delivery and the showroom fixed it promptly. Take pictures of the car in the showroom for reference. Get the salesperson to do a complete walkthrough of the car. The older generation of XC40 had the insulation not sure if they removed it with B4, I heard the car is a bit quieter too so may not be needed. Drive around and see if the noise levels bother you. You can always order the T4 insulation and fit it in the B4 if possible.

All the best on your new purchase and please do post your experiences with the car on the forum.
gismosin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 18:42   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_moghe View Post

Attachment:

2. Spec Sheet
Hey there,

I booked the Xc40 petrol hybrid from Martial yesterday, colour - bright dusk with charcoal interiors, what is the final on road price offered to you ?
Old 24th August 2023, 11:21   #110
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | 2 years down

Two years and 19000 KM

This has been an eventful second year of ownership. A tire change, a breakdown on a trip. But, the way I see it, it’s part of the package of owning these beautiful machines. I still get a smile on my face when I am behind the wheel. The comfort & confidence the car provides on long drives is irreplaceable. A beautiful machine indeed and it's as smart looking as the day I bought it. This car ages really well. With car prices reaching the stratosphere, I am glad I made this purchase when I did.

It was time for a second service, and I promptly sent it over. The service advisor suggested a service package. With revised rate, the 3 years 3 service package was Rs.60,000/- + Taxes (Rs.70,800/-). Without this package the service would come to around 35,000/- easily per year. I also asked here to share the service schedule of parts to be replaced for each service. You can find the picture below. This will help us check if they are suggesting any unnecessary replacements.The advisor did share the schedule as you can see below

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20230801-12.43.40.jpg
Service Schedule

I also asked for a quote without service package and they quoted Rs. 54,000/- with lot of add-on's, After removing all the extras, it still comes to total service bill of around Rs.32,000/-. It made sense for me to take the service package.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-parts.jpg
Breakdown of parts

So after the service package and removing all optional items. My total service bill was Zero.So my upkeep will be minimal for next two years as well.

I got the wheel alignment done at a reliable FNG at a fraction of a cost of what the service center was quoting.

I was also getting an error on SRS airbag failure, which is now fixed, looked more like a software glitch.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-srs.jpg

Everything said and done, ownership has been very satisfactory with some minor hiccups, which I write down to part and parcel of owning a car. I look forward to what the next year will bring. I have some road trips in planning stage and I am sure a few of them will materialize.

For now, I believe this is a solid product from the Volvo stable and a fantastic companion when hitting the roads. With the new petrol BMW X1 nerfed, XC40 continues to remain a solid choice in its segment.

On a side note, I have recently been to Tipeshwar wildlife sanctuary, great place to spot some tigers. If you are in Hyderabad it's a fantastic weekend getaway. Here is a video of the road if you are intrested, takes about 4-6 hours drive from Hyderabad

Last edited by gismosin : 24th August 2023 at 11:28. Reason: adding info
gismosin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:49   #111

[quote=sid_moghe;5572965

2. While doing the PDI, noticed that there is no under-hood insulation. On checking with the SA, I was told that the engine bay is insulated[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your new car!!
Yes, they have removed the under hood insulation. Even my Feb 2022 model does not have any. I asked Volvo for the part as an add on. I was informed that it would cost around 28k and can be fitted during regular service. Within a few months of ownership I realised that the in-cabin refinement was not impacted at all. The only issue was that if you stand outside then the engine noise was more prominent. I decided against going for the installation. Also on searching for common engine issues with the xc40 I found on some UK forum that the turbocharger gasket would over heat and start leaking. I felt maybe adding this insulation would reduce the heat escaping from the engine bay. Other manufacturers such as Audi and BMW have chosen a similar approach for their compact SUV's too. The insulation mentioned by your SA was probably the fire wall insulation. The engine bay is well insulated in that regard. So at the moment I'm fine with no insulation. You can order one from Volvo as their older models all have one. So it won't be difficult to supply.
Karuz16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 22:19   #112
BHPian

A quick road trip

Had a quick trip to Panchgani from Hyderabad mid-October. Took around 11hours to drive there. This route is under heavy construction beyond NH 65, causing delays. The narrow 2 lane state and national highways, along with speed breakers in towns, can make it challenging to drive faster. NH 48 is like a breeze before you start trekking the narrow ghat road to Panchgani.

But we eventually got there. The best part of visiting Panchgani off season is the lack of crowd and traffic. We stayed at the Cliff Resort and Spa, and it was a pleasant stay. Their breakfast could do with a makeover, though. But this hotel has some fantastic views that you just can't beat.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.15_b51cc365.jpg
The standard room, has all creature comforts

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.15_f141c29f.jpg
This hotel has a pretty big pool

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.17_c51364c9.jpg
the view, can't beat the view

We stayed at Four Seasons vineyard on the way back. It was a decent one-night stay, but there were bugs outside the room and no grapes growing there anymore. The day we went was an off day, so while we got the tour of the wine production facility, we could not actually see any production. Honestly, this place has seen better days. But the staff were friendly and arranged a lovely intimate dinner for us next to the pool.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.13_d48b565e.jpg
A palace in the middle of nowhere

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.13_c8f3fdca.jpg

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.14_7b5ef79d.jpg
The elixir in the making

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-22.01.46_e90c80ee.jpg
If stranded here, one thing you will unlikely run out of

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.10_a312b59d.jpg
An intimate dinner by the pool

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.40.03_cbf1c8c6.jpg
The Volvo, taking a rest

The Volvo confidently tackled various road conditions and had sharp brakes for unexpected speed breakers. The light steering helps reduce fatigue and stress.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.18_76054170.jpg
Some views on the way

I have a video detailing the route if anyone is interested.

The only fly in the ointment was an SRS airbag error that started popping up, it started appearing randomly a couple of months ago and now has become a constant warning. Have sent the car to Volvo service center for them to have a look at.

Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-whatsapp-image-20231029-21.39.18_7ef9e158.jpg
Something, I could live..without

Last edited by gismosin : 29th October 2023 at 22:21. Reason: adding content
gismosin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 09:12   #113
BHPian

Re: A quick road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismosin View Post

The only fly in the ointment was an SRS airbag error that started popping up, it started appearing randomly a couple of months ago and now has become a constant warning. Have sent the car to Volvo service center for them to have a look at.
A few months back, I’ve had the same issue. The service centre at Hyd reviewed it, and said they’re unable to identify the problem. Seems they had tried checking by using another car’s seat, and yet it persisted. I prompted that it could be a lose connection (as was mentioned in some forums) but they said that’s not the case.

After a days review, they simply gave the car back as is, said it’ll go away by itself, and offered to replace the car seat if it persisted (for an out of warranty cost )

Luckily, the error did go away on its own in a few days. But then, it started re-appearing few days back

In your case, I think you could get the seat replaced under warranty.

Nice pics btw. The xc40 is a delight to drive, and great for mile munching

Last edited by evolvo : 30th October 2023 at 09:14. Reason: minor edits
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 21:34   #114
BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Review | An update on the airbag

An update on the airbag

This is a long overdue post, so remember the annoying SRS airbag warning, first time I sent it to Volvo they did a software update and sent it back and the error came back in a few days. So, I sent the car back again. This time they ran comprehensive diagnostics, and the conclusion was, the driver side curtain airbag was throwing a failure. It was reportedly receiving less voltage of power than it required, which meant it might not deploy when needed and had to be changed.

I was quoted Rs. 77,000/- for the replacement. But I pointed out that I had an extended warranty and the workshop technician said, “Airbags are not covered in warranty.”

Now that’s where the back and forth began, I opened my extended warranty document, and this below in the picture was the only mention for airbags. There was nothing that specifically stated it was not covered, while I understand a deployed airbag not being covered, this was a purely faulty one.
Volvo XC40 Review | My new ride-airbag.png
The only mention of airbag in the entire document

I asked to speak to the manager and went the next day to Volvo service center and had a meeting with the GM of service, a fantastic gentleman with a lot of experience in the automotive industry, he listened to my issue patiently and why I thought it should be covered.

After our discussion we agreed on an action plan, they will first contact the warranty team to explain the issue in detail and if they still don’t cover it, they will give it to me in writing with the reason why and we will take it from there. I left the car in the workshop.

They had to open the side frame record everything including all diagnostics and then send it over to the Volvo team to take a look. A couple of days later the technician informed me that the part would be replaced under warranty as it was at fault, they placed the order for it and would take a month or so to be imported from Sweden.

Finally in December the replacement airbag arrived and was promptly replaced.

Lessons from this experience:
  1. Do not delay when an issue starts occurring, I ignored the random SRS message until it became a constant occurrence, better to have it on record as soon as the issue happens.
  2. Extended warranty is a must on cars. Most cars today have a zillion sensors and electrical components, remember, the more the components, the higher the points of failures. Especially on expensive cars, the cost of components quickly adds up.
  3. Do not take the first response at face value, talk, discuss, ask to speak to someone in authority but always be pleasant. I personally had more work done with pleasant conversations than shouting or losing one’s cool.
  4. Ask for things in writing, makes dealer/service center to always double check.
  5. Do your homework, be ready with your documentation, I waving my handy extended warranty document which did not explicitly state airbags not covered helped.
Also, credit goes to Volvo service center and their General Manager, they listened, they understood and were willing to give it a go for the benefit of the customer, which is more than want most car companies do today.
I have stated this earlier; machines break down but they way there are dealt with and fixed counts…for now Volvo is doing a great job in this regard.

On a side note, it’s a little sad to see the XC 40 petrol being discontinued to make way for the electric one.
gismosin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 01:00   #115
BHPian

Quote:
An update on the airbag

This is a long overdue post, so remember the annoying SRS airbag warning, first time I sent it to Volvo they did a software update and sent it back and the error came back in a few days. So, I sent the car back again. This time they ran comprehensive diagnostics, and the conclusion was, the driver side curtain airbag was throwing a failure. It was reportedly receiving less voltage of power than it required, which meant it might not deploy when needed and had to be changed.

Finally in December the replacement airbag arrived and was promptly replaced.

Glad that it’s been resolved

Mine had a similar issue, with random SRS airbag warnings that go one and off on their own. SC tried to resolve few times, but no luck. They gave up and said airbags might need to be replaced, and since car was out of warranty this would have cost a bomb!

I had a gut feel the airbags were fine and that it was just a loose connection somewhere.

Luckily in the most recent visit, they thoroughly checked the car again, and were able to diagnose the issue: a loose connection!
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 18:39   #116

Quote:
An update on the airbag
My friend owns an XC40 and is having similar issue with his car. He is not on TeamBHP but wants to reach out to you. Please let me know.

Last edited by graaja : 5th July 2024 at 19:32. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks