Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 16:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic

The ODO now stands at 11000 KMS. In city mileage has settled down to 12.14 km/lts.

We're hungry, feed us.

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220331_123021.jpg

Now that we've fed you, what do I eat? I'm kangal.

A for Aragorn, C for Cat, C for Chicken, D for Diesel, F for feed them them both, K for Kangaal (Broke)

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220416_135648.jpg

Sometime at the start of March the ODO hit 10k

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220402_220003.jpg

Hit 11k last week.
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220422_230935.jpg

Went to Deeg over the long weekend quick day trip. Couldn't visit the fort, since construction work is going on. Combine with a Bharatpur Trip so that you can do a nice 3 day trip.

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220415_171202.jpg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220415_172129.jpg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20220415_172311.jpg

Went via the Yamuna Expressway engaged cruise control throughout except near toll plaza's. Came back via Palwal, Faridabad, excellent B Class Roads (MDR's) and only one toll, which also if you know how to you can skip (FBD entry side) Will try the Alwar route the next time.
Other updates:
No DEF issues till now, thankfully. I guess open runs on the highway are helping.

The AC is coping with the brutal Delhi summers quite admirably, however on auto mode tends to run at speed 5+ which is super noisy.

Two rattles have cropped up, one from the drivers door, the other from the tailgate area. I will fix them both on my own, since asking M&M to fix rattles is self flagellation.

The speakers are super disappointing, boomy at lower volumes and crackles at higher volumes. I'll change only the speakers whenever I gather Vitamin M.

Until next time.
shady_lawyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 08:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
"all that is is gold does not glitter (sometimes so does silver)
a king may yet be without crown

Meet ARAGORN
Attachment 2188101
Hello.
I own an XUV 500 W9 AT, 2022, 17k kms done.
Since day 1, i have an issue with the initial braking power/bite.
Normally, when we slightly press the brake pedal, the vehicle begins to stop , Whereas in my case, it doesn't. Only after pressing the pedal about 1.5 inches, the brake activates but has very less power. therefore, you end up pressing the pedal even further gradually and by doing so, there is sudden braking.
I have taken up this issue with Mahindra numerous times. Spoke to the regional manager as well.

I have also ridden other XUV 500 (from 2019-22 models) and i the braking is perfect in them. When i showed them other vehicles, they were unable to make out the difference and said everything is working fine in my car.

They have done brake bleeding and checked the Brake Master cylinder pressure and say its all good.

But my problem is with the "Initial" brake pressure/bite.
They are reluctant to change the master cylinder unit even though the vehicle under warranty.
Since, i come from an automobile background, i feel that there is no/less initial pressure built when we begin to press the brake pedal. This initial pressure will not show up on their machine used to test the master cylinder pressure. It only shows the final pressure.

But when i double brake i.e press the pedal twice consecutively, it functions properly.

Also, when you keep the brake pedal pressed when stationary, the pedal is not firm after pressing, it goes in slowly.

Do you have any such issue?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th May 2022 at 08:59. Reason: Long post quote trimmed.
Old 16th May 2022, 14:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Iyer View Post
Hello.
Also, when you keep the brake pedal pressed when stationary, the pedal is not firm after pressing, it goes in slowly.
Do you have any such issue?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank You.
1. Press and release the brake pedal when the vehicle is off, it will eventually become hard. If that is not happening you have a vacuum leak.

2. When the engine is one, then no amount of use will make the pedal hard, which means your braking system is fine.

3. The XUV brake pedal has two positions in a manner of speaking. One to stop the car and the second which has a longer travel, when you're holding the car on the brake, while in D. e.g at a red light.

4. The bite on my car is progressive and a mere tap is sufficient to engage the brakes. However, the action is aggressive and it takes some getting used to. I'm always worried I'm going to get rear-ended.

5. If you feel the pedal is not progressive then request the Service Centre to replace it. It is entirely possible that the pedal travel is not being read by the sensor correctly. I doubt your master cylinder is gone, if it were it would have lead to severe loss of braking ability.

keep us updated.
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 16:42   #34

Quote:
1. Press and release the brake pedal when the vehicle is off, it will eventually become hard. If that is not happening you have a vacuum leak.

2. When the engine is one, then no amount of use will make the pedal hard, which means your braking system is fine.

3. The XUV brake pedal has two positions in a manner of speaking. One to stop the car and the second which has a longer travel, when you're holding the car on the brake, while in D. e.g at a red light.

4. The bite on my car is progressive and a mere tap is sufficient to engage the brakes. However, the action is aggressive and it takes some getting used to. I'm always worried I'm going to get rear-ended.

5. If you feel the pedal is not progressive then request the Service Centre to replace it. It is entirely possible that the pedal travel is not being read by the sensor correctly. I doubt your master cylinder is gone, if it were it would have lead to severe loss of braking ability.

keep us updated.
When i press and hold the pedal when vehicle is off , the pedal isnt firm. there is some spongy effect and the pedal goes it slowly even after you've pressed completely.

I do think there is some vacuum leak. when i engage the pedal twice consecutively, it functions normal and minimal pressing does a good job.

The service center is an absolute waste, they are unable to even feel that there is a problem and they test drive very rashly and brake suddenly by engaging the pedal to the fullest and say that the brake is fine.
Old 28th October 2022, 23:41   #35
BHPian

3rd Service.

Here is a long overdue update. The car has been performing flawlessly. Took on the Delhi rains, yes it actually properly rained in Delhi, with only the loss of the horn. Result "Cheetah bangaya Chooha". I'm getting ahead myself, however.

The last update, as also the last long trip was at 12K kms. Since then the car has been chained to the desk. Only in city-runs and that too in pre-diwali traffic. The mileage has settled to around 11.2 Km/Ltrs. according to the tracking app. Thankfully no DEF issues even with low speed running.

Quick snapshots:

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-whatsapp-image-20221028-22.51.31-1.jpeg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-whatsapp-image-20221028-22.51.31.jpeg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-whatsapp-image-20221028-22.51.30-2.jpeg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-whatsapp-image-20221028-22.51.30-1.jpeg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-whatsapp-image-20221028-22.51.30.jpeg

That brought me up to 17K sometime in September. However what with Diwali and other things in my schedule, there was no time to get the car serviced. However with the odo hitting 1799X it was high time or I'd lose my third free service. Reached out to @Kushgandhi for a recommendation. Hat Tip to him for recommending a new service centre-Malwa (Harbans) Mahindra, A-16 Lawrence Road.

Its really far for me, but based on his word I went there. Was promptly greeted by Mr. Ayam, the GM of the workshop (what a guy). Polite, Hard-Working and the word "not possible" is not in his book. He's proactive to boot, pointed out that the sun-roof channel needed greasing all on his own. Gaurav the Service Advisor too did a good job of ensuring all the niggles were taken care of. Mechanically none. Just some scratches and a weak spring in the driver seat (yeesh I'm getting FAT).

Interestingly enough I pointed out that there was some rusting in the rear door, and the workshop has promised me to take it up with Mahindra and deliver a resolution. Now that is service. Compared the the horrendous experience at Koncept, these guys are leagues ahead. I think the bill is fair. The rear wiper blade was bit of a surprise though. Guess, the non-intermittent setting availability is causing it to be chewed up a lot faster.

Also got WA/WB and tyre rotation, from the workshop because the steering position sensor also needed to be centred. Considerably more expensive that the outside place I use, but I guess that the price you must absorb. The car took 12 ltr. of DEF. The tank is 20 Ltr., it had 8 ltr. left. That means 12 ltr. per 10K KMS.

Total Bill was about Rs. 9000, Phew!. Bought the 4th year extended warranty for Rs. 20,000 as well, especially since its A) an automatic B) the rusting issue got me a bit worried. Plus Mahindra parts are not cheap. That essentially means that the warranty now runs till 1,20,000 KMS.

Mahindra WithYouHamesha _ Repair Order Bill Details.pdf

I'm terrible at taking photos, but here's one.

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20221028_130844.jpg

Until next time. Stay Safe. Plant a Tree or maybe two. For those in Delhi, if you promise to look after the saplings and water them properly, I'll provide you saplings for free!

PS: the driver door rattle, the culprit was the beading. I put vaseline on it and hey presto, noise gone!. The tailgate is the number plate housing, thinking of using some double side, or maybe foam tape, this is still open.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 28th October 2022 at 23:57.
shady_lawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 06:35   #36
BHPian

Re: 3rd Service.

Quote:
The tailgate is the number plate housing, thinking of using some double side, or maybe foam tape, this is still open.
Had the same issue when I had the xuv 500, you should ask the dealership to re-fit the numberplate, that helps too!
Old 16th March 2023, 11:18   #37

Good morning folks,

I won a XUV500 W9 MT. Purchased in Aug 2020. Until now clocked 21000KM + on the ODO. It has been a wonderful journey with car so far with until last Sunday while driving on the highway, got this peculiar error about DEF, "DEF DOSING MALFUNCTION" (attaching pic for ref) and the vehicle will not start after 800KM. Topped up the DEF at 20000KM service.

Took it to service centre and after analysing the vehicle with Mahindra ismart software, they said it is a big problem as system shows error and it probably might any any reason out of the many they listed. Right from flow blocked to sensor issue and asked to me leave the vehicle for 5 days as they probably have to reach out to Mahindra headquarters for more analysis.

Would like to know if anyone faced similar issue and how was this addressed. Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-def-issue.jpeg
Old 20th May 2024, 20:24   #38
BHPian

35,000 KM UP. The Good and the Bad

The last post came in at 16k, seems like a lifetime ago.

COSTS

fuelio informs me that I've consumed a lot of diesel and spent a lot of money on service.
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-screenshot_2024052019054999_2b3f3c8d1fd5cd66f114c90effc5a955.jpg

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-screenshot_2024052019051662_2b3f3c8d1fd5cd66f114c90effc5a955.jpg

This is the cost inclusive of fuel and service. Not bad in my estimation for a heavy automatic vehicle. All in all, owning and maintaining a Mahindra, has been quite reasonable.

That number of 26, I'm not sure, why fuelio is showing me that however I don't think I've managed more that 16 KMPL ever.

Updates

The front brake pads were replaced at the 30K Service, bill is attached. Horrible screeching and grinding noises had commenced, and while there was no warning light, the SA recommended replacement. The wiper blades have been replaced once as well.

The tyres have held up well and still have tread life in them for another 15K as per the SA. I rotate the tyres every 5K (first 5K at my local MRF Tyre Shoppe and the next one during regular service). The workshop folks need to be reminded to re-learn the TPMS, unlike the MRF chaps. One tyre has a slow valve leak and that requires a quick top up every week, however since it has and continues to hold up no plan of replacement as of now. The tyres are filled with Nitrogen. The Bluesense App. is quite lovely and tells you the exact pressure, wish this data could be shown on the ICE as well.

Otherwise the car and I have been chained to our desk, running is limited to only in city, however (touchwood) no DPF issues, my early morning Gurgaon/Court runs seem to be helping. Interesting observation, the auto box does not let the engine sit at 3K RPM for more than a few seconds, even in manual mode, it will force an upshift.

A Minor Hit

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-prang.jpg

So on a fine Friday morning, the most absurd thing happens. I parked the car and left. The Supreme Court parking lot, slopes from left to right. Vehicles are parked perpendicular to the road, and hence the car parked on the left of the road rolls forward.

This genius, parked his i20 on the other side of the road and vamoosed. He DID NOT engage his handbrake, nor leave the car in gear. Result, in about three minutes the car rolled across the length of the parking and hit Aragorn. Credit however to the Mahindra build quality, the front bumper absorbed the entire hit and sacrificed the front fog light. This chap initially refused to pay, but as they say "don't worry he won't get far on foot", it was a question of this chap coming to the SC everyday and running into me, eventually paid the cost of repairs.

I was frightened about sub-frame and gear box damage because the car was in park and absorbed a standing hit. Off he went to the workshop, where the car was carefully checked in the bodyshop with some machine and no deviation was found. Since the bumper itself was intact only the plastic frame, clips and the fog light were replaced.

I have been on the lookout for a reliable workshop in the Delhi NCR Area, and for every Mahindra Owner I recommend "RR Auto/Extra Edge" in Gurgaon near Ardee Mall. [C3RM+4G Gurugram, Haryana; Plot No 1575, Wazirabad Village Rd, near Ardee City, Gate Number 2, Sarswati Kunj II, Wazirabad, Sector 52, Gurugram, Haryana 122003]

This is a service only establishment they do not have sales at all, which is great, because the focus is purely on service. It is owned by an ex-army person and it shows. Best of all however, the GM there is Ayam! yes the very same person who was in Harbans earlier. I've praised him before and I'll praise him again. Only because of him have I been able to find a reliable and trustworthy SVC. So much so that I bought the extended warranty, so that means Aragorn is now covered till August 2025 or 1,25,0000 whichever is earlier. I'm contemplating buying the 5th year pack as well, which is another 25k.

For those who want a reliable workshop/SVC head over and connect with Ayam. It's far but at least the service is top-notch.

Two Warranty Claims

Delhi is being baked for a while now and my office does not have covered parking. Towards the middle of April, every time I started a car there was a strange metal grinding noise, much like if you touch a running fan with a wire. The diagnosis was traced to a broken plate on the starter motor.

SVC repaired the plate and charged me Rs. 1500 inclusive of labour, which I paid. Two days later however the sound was back, this time however, they replaced the entire starter motor itself. Total bill ZERO.

However, during the service or maybe coincidence something else broke. So every morning after startup, I would engage Drive and release the brake, only to have the rpm drop as if the engine was being strangled and cut out. This would continue till the engine and the box warmed up, after which there was no problem. Off I went hunting the team bhp threads and lo and behold, the last few posts were of Rodeo having the exact same issue on the exact same gb/engine combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post

Yes, I had the same problem, during morning run's it used to jerk atleast for 2-5kms until engine bay heats up (couple of times on ORR, seen jerking for longer during early morning rides, where it was cold outside), and by the time I get to the service station, the jerks would have disappeared, and the service person used to say, there is nothing wrong at all.
Few of the earlier posts on team-bhp from the XUV500 ownership thread, which I don't remember right now, led me to try replacing the vacuum modulator and see (I remember couple of posts confirming that vacuum modulator replacement solving the issue). Ever since I changed the modulators, never seen the morning jerks and also acceleration had been smooth all through, till date....around 5K INR for both the modulators. Again, do check with the senior service person who has experience on XUV500 AT, before going ahead with the replacement.
The culprit the damn "vacuum modulator". Come on Mahindra, you've been having this issue right from the start, either it was the hose or the body itself.

In the BS6 Avatar however, the body is mounted upon the EGR, which is a pain because the entire left wheel well is dissembled to access and replace the part. Post replacement the jerk and dying rpm issue is gone. Bliss. Value of team bhp EH!!!

The upshot is that the two jobs thankfully were covered by the original warranty of the car which expires in two months, and would have cost me 20K or so. Mahindra and the SVC honoured the warranty without even me asking for it, and straight away FOC replacements were made. As I said earlier, Mahindra after-sales though hit and miss will back you up and that inspires a lot of confidence. However, I've bought the extended warranty now and that is a load off my head.

Mahindra however does not share any details for warranty repairs, even though the details are available in the system, no copy is given to the customer and only a Zero Bill is issued.

Nice clean (though dusty engine bay)

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-20240520_185225.jpg

Random Odo Photos
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-26.jpg
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-30.jpg
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-31.jpg
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-33.jpg
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-35.jpg

Signing off with an amateur photo-shopped picture on Aragorn

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-worked-up.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf attachments-2.pdf (74.7 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 20th May 2024 at 20:28.
shady_lawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 17:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: 35,000 KM UP. The Good and the Bad

Quote:

Nice clean (though dusty engine bay)

Attachment 2607927
Can you confirm if your car has pink coolant (and not the green coolant). If pink then no worries, just wanted to ensure there is no rust in the coolant system.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 18:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Can you confirm if your car has pink coolant (and not the green coolant). If pink then no worries, just wanted to ensure there is no rust in the coolant system.
Hi santosh, thank you for the message. Really nice of you to look out for me.

Out comes the Elephant Syringe, and Lo and behold neither pink nor green. Its purple!!

Wiki says Purple is a mixture of blue and red, which is what, someone in the workshop will be, if this is not the correct colour. Can the experts please chip in?

one from the top of the tank
Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20240529_175425.jpg

Other from the bottom of the tank

Aragorn | My 2021 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Automatic-img_20240529_175326.jpg
Old 2nd June 2024, 12:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really nice of you to look out for me

Its purple!!
Dear Shady Lawyer,

(LOL - I did not notice your name until now, Not a good place to be around Pune these days )

That means you have severe rust in your coolant system.

Please flush with Bardhal more than once - can do in one day itself. Have lots and lots of 25ltr mineral water can handy, a road side mech can help you. DO NOT take their advice to add 2 spoon of acid/harpic to flush.

Please flush with water and bardhal/any branded coolant flush and till water comes out clean.

Then fill with OE recommended coolant+concentrate mix and check every 1 year for rust.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks