Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2023, 13:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
At the end of 2022 now, does the 2010 Honda city V-AT still make sense? I am looking at a silver city with 55k kms on odo sitting at the dealer with asking price of 3.25L
Apologies for the extremely late reply. Which car did you go through with?

And yes, the City does still make sense.
Old 17th April 2023, 13:21   #32
BHPian

Hi everyone, apologies to all for not being active here as much as I should have.

Almira, has been trudging along quite nicely, with some minor scares here and there - none of her fault.

The engine oil was almost completely drained because the oil filter was not installed correctly, or something must have hit it from under while I was coming from Pune to Mumbai. I wish there was an engine check light which comes on for low oil level - does it? I was saved by a whisker.

She has been used like a work horse, the maintenance has been infrequent, and there are some small rattles.

All four doors have been completely eroded due to rust, and I have been putting off that expense for far too long - guilty as charged.

Recently a tyre burst on the highway because it was far too old, thankfully I was able to control and no other vehicle was in the vicinity.

All in all, I have been extremely negligent of her, probably one of the few confessions of Team Bhp of outright negligence towards their automobile.

All said and done, I expect a few scoldings in reply to this update, and I will be maintaining her more religiously again from now on.

All these points are being highlighted that the City just keeps trudging along, a true fill it shut it forget it kind of a car, and whatever niggles there would be, would be because owners are not paying attention over long periods of time.

I will be getting her serviced through Nelly's Auto in the coming week, plan on getting the transmission oil changed as well along with a comprehensive service. I want to bring her in top shape mechanically before moving on to the doors replacements and other cosmetic needs.

I have flirted a lot of time with "If I was in the market for second hand car right now for 4-5L which one would I have opted for" and I still can't find a better option than the 2012 Honda City.

I need to wake up from my slumber and treat her right.

Posting some photos from a recent trip - until further updates soon.

Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse-622e226945c24a6395d5445a5a9215d4.jpeg

Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse-7dbda9044d1f4af6b05e238ebad79560.jpg
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 21:48   #33
BHPian

1. I have converted the car to CNG ~2 years ago. So the general service this time around would include the spark plug replacement, throttle body cleaning as well as the injector cleaning on top of the regular checklist. Anything else I should have a look at? Fuel pump?

2. I want to change the transmission oil as well - what is the grade of the transmission oil, which brand and what should be the cost of this change? My car is an automatic 2012 i.e. Torque Converter gearbox.

3. The rear suspension has started to feel bouncy quite a lot in the last few months - Please note - my car is being used like a tempo most of the time due to the needs of my business, cargo and long tours in villages in the Konkan belt where the roads are unforgiving. The suspension, I am sure has taken quite a lot of beating. There is quite an audible noise from the front suspension now even over minor rough patches, I am guessing link roads or tie rods is the culprit. So overall, suspension of the whole car needs to have a long hard look at.

4. The engine bay needs to be thoroughly cleaned, especially the suspension mounts area needs to be cleaned again, and I would like to spray that area as well as the firewall with an anti rust spray - any suggestions?

5. The headlights are a big pain point as of now - the reason being, the RH headlight bulb holder pin is missing and the bulb gets dislocated from it's position sometimes, and both the headlights become misaligned, on top of them being very weak for my taste. Can somebody please help me with a better solution please? Also for the fog lamps as well, of course not expensive. Not HIDs and stuff, I don't have a big budget as of now, and mechanical well being will be the priority. Even if someone can help / suggest me where can I source the pin from, it would be okay for now.

6. I recently bought some floor mats from an Instagram page from Delhi, and they have turned out to be the most stupid purchase, nor they fit properly, and have started degrading already. I would like to go back to having regular mats which - just fit. Don't want these 3D 5D 7D stuff again. Just good regular mats which are specially made for the Honda City and that's it.

7. Unfortunately, all four doors have developed a lot of rust to the point that it's chipping away from the outside. This is the second most critical work which needs to be done after the service. I don't want to spend on new doors and those alone would cost me somewhere in the 25000 region. I have been advised on getting second hand doors, and claiming insurance to help reduce the costs. Please advice.

8. At a later point, I want to install auto-dimming IRVM, some foot well lights, and some other cosmetic but functional upgrades as well. Probably after the rains.
Old 20th July 2024, 18:14   #34
BHPian

Hello all,

Time to post an update -

Overview - The City is doing along fine, has almost touched 80,000 KMs on the odometer, so almost 63,000 KMs under my ownership since bought back in June 2020.

So almost 15,500 KMs per year of running, and looking back it was a good decision to convert to CNG, as the running costs have been extremely economical against fully on Petrol.

Currently, she gives around 13-14 km/kg in city conditions, and around 17-18 km/kg on highways (going uphill from Thane to Pune), 19-20 km/kg (coming downhill from Pune to Thane) and on really good roads (ex. Pune - Satara highway) the mileage goes beyond 22-23 km/kg, which is above average from what I have heard, and this being an Torque Converter automatic, these figures are good from what I know.

The longest trip I have been with the car is from Pune to Puttur (~900 KMs) and back from Puttur to Dombivli (~1000+ KMs) and the overall mileage of the trip was an astounding 30+ km/kg, Karnataka roads are heavenly, and plus rainy season so A.C was on only 50% of the time.

So all in all, the CNG decision has made sense, and I have installed the Lovato Sequential Kit, topmost of their portfolio which had costed some 50,000 bucks back in 2020 - the CNG rates too were around Rs. 47, which have now settled to Rs. 73.50 per kg after almost touching Rs. 90 in the place where I live.

It made sense back in 2020, I don't think I would have installed CNG now if I had a choice.

One major downside to this installation is that the already poor ground clearance on the Honda City has taken further hit and now it scrapes left right and center with even 2-3 people on board, as the tank itself being 80 kg dry, with another 10 kg of gas, means I always carry a hefty person in the boot :P

To tackle this somewhat, I had installed Autorunners buffers, which mitigated to an extent for 2-3 years, but now have installed the height pads from the suggestion of one fellow CNG City owner, and for now, I am happy, though I realise that this unnatural modification messes up the suspension faster than it should.

Moving on, recently I am in two minds, if to keep the City or sell her for my want of a German diesel as a stop gap for 2-3 years until I can land on a decent long term hybrid or an electric car.

Spoke with a lot of people, tried staying off OLX as much as I can, but the Germans are too irresistable not to be bothered about. I scoured for everything from a used Polo, Vento, Rapid, Superb and even a Jetta, to coming to senses and thinking about SCross or a Creta.

But with better sense, I laid down the following points - I am a big fan of looks, and while the Germans have me weak in the knees, the 3rd Generation of "Arrow Head" City looks handsome as well. It's the best looking City for me, personally.

Has she ever stranded me? Never. Thrown up any surprise expenses? None. Have any of the maintainence / repairs been much more expensive than expected? Nada.

All the above points - it will be a high chance all answers would be yes in case of a pre-owned German, especially automatic.

As when it's a question of keeping the car for 2 or 3 more years at the max, keeping her makes a huge financial sense, no matter how I try to spin it.

So that has been decided, I am keeping the Honda City till it touches the 14-15 year mark - she's a keeper* (*Unless I hit a jackpot and can splurge on a German, haha, never say never!!)

Current status - So, with the roads not being so good, and constant weight on all the suspension components, I am foreseeing a good amount of repairs to make her in top mechanical condition.

1. The engine mount, one of them has developed a play, and I have been suggested to change all three of them as they should ideally be replaced in a set - same like tyres. (~15,000)

2. The rear tyres are close to the end of their life, almost bald, although the front ones are almost with 80% thread left. I want to shift to 185/65 R15, so I would need to change on all 4. I will put one of the front tyres on the spare, and upsize the other 4. (~30,000)

3. Other repairs like AC gas leakage, front shockers are making leaking again (even though had them replaced just 6000 KMs ago), some rattles here and there, some bushes acting up etc. I am sure this list will increase once a thorough full body check-up is done. (~15,000)

4. General service would be due soon, brake pads lasted only 20,000 KMs, so I would need to mend my driving style a little bit, and remind myself that this is a beater car and not a German to be floored. According to a friend (TeamBhpian) the Automatic Transmission fluid also needs to be changed, which, alas, was also supposedly changed at the 60,000 KM service. Anyway, will check the condition, and what's needed to be done, will be done (~10,000)

The above expenses are all to bring her to a good enough mechanical condition for the next two years, apart from regular maintainence.

5. As for the cosmetic / functional upgrades - I want to install a good dash cam since very long, and I know it's my absolute laziness in doing so, as it has becomes one of the must haves with regards to safety - as important as brakes, tyres. (~14,000)

6. Other small bits like fog lamp upgrade, damping sheets not for the sound system, but to lessen the excessive scraping noise, thuds and what not so that the heart aches a little lesser, upholstery refurbishment etc are on my mind with a good detailing session after the rains to make her beautiful from the inside as well. (~25,000).

So this is what I am foreseeing, approx. Rs. 1.10L, of course not at one go, but in bits and parts, with the mechanical issues to be sorted first.

So all in all, this is what I am at, with the Honda City. Does it make sense to spend 1L on a car which is maximum going to give me 2/2.5L two years down the line? Maybe not so much.

But the cost of replacing her right now i.e. with a similar priced Vento or Rapid will be 2x (who is betting on the amount I would need to spend on the surprises that the Germans throw up) or an upgrade like SCross is easily going 4x the cost of the repairs mentioned above - and mind you - these expenses on a car which will only be a stop gap - for less than 5 years. When I think of it from this angle, it all makes sense to keep the Honda - after all, she's never let me down, has she!?

More regular updates with regards to the above expenses to follow!

Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse-screenshot-20240720-181336.png
ManasN95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 17:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hello all,

Time to post an update -
This version of the City is one of the best models made by Honda. Can you confirm if the City has electric or hydraulic power steering? Also is there any steering related issue with this current generation of the City? I read there is some knocking etc sound.

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 17:53   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
This version of the City is one of the best models made by Honda. Can you confirm if the City has electric or hydraulic power steering? Also is there any steering related issue with this current generation of the City? I read there is some knocking etc sound.

Thanks.
Hi Sumeet,

Indeed the 3rd generation City is among the better looking models in the line up. Correct me if I am wrong but probably City, except for the 1st gen, never came with hydraulic steering.

If your queries are specific to the current 5th gen, then it has an electric steering. Though it has been tuned brilliantly & it is one of the best things about this car. After selling the Civic, other things aside, I don't miss the steering at least. It is so good that it is almost there.

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 18:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi Sumeet,

Indeed the 3rd generation City is among the better looking models in the line up. Correct me if I am wrong but probably City, except for the 1st gen, never came with hydraulic steering.
Thanks.
I meant for this gen City . If it's electric it should be relatively trouble free compared to say the Civic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 20:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I read there is some knocking etc sound.

Thanks.
Hello, thanks for the reply. This generation City has electronic power steering, if I'm not wrong, because I heard the service advisor saying this has a motor and hence is expensive to replace the whole thing.

Yes the steering rack does make some sound if you're constantly driving on bad roads, or due to age.

FNGs have some temporary fixes, but it's never like OEM once child parts are replaced.

Suspension (wrt ground clearance) and steering rack, the two Achilles heel of this City, you have to live with it, plainly.
Old 15th August 2024, 20:09   #39
BHPian

Hello all, as it turned out, despite taking all the expenses into consideration, we just made a very impromptu decision of letting go of the Honda City. She was already 12 years old, and while the running costs were totally in her favour, the maintenance costs were rising, and the suspension and it's noise was a never ending issue. I had spent close to Rs. 40,000 on getting the suspension rectified but it still continued to be an ear sore. The tyres were another expense, and all in all, we thought of getting something else now.

Surprisingly with all the OLX hunts for Germans and the SCrosses, we had overlooked the Ford Ecosport, and it was like a eureka moment after learning of the service costs, the mileage the diesel engine offered and it all came together. We were kind of bored with the City as well, it was that reliable - and I personally wanted to get a diesel before the governments puts them off the roads for good.

So the decision to shift to the Ford Ecosport, to shortlisting and finalising one, and simultaneously selling the Honda City was done in under 10 days.

Hence, I have sold my darling Almira yesterday, for a good sum of Rs. 3 Lakh, which is good value, having bought her in 2020 for Rs. 4.10 Lakh. My heart pounded as I watched her drive away, but she has gone to a good person in the same Honda City group, hence I would keep getting her glimpses. I would miss her for sure. The hottest Honda City for me, maybe barring the 1st generation.
ManasN95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 06:40   #40

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Hello all,

Time to post an update -
How often do you change the spark plugs as this vehicle running on CNG? Also, does the 3rd generation Honda City come with iridium spark plugs?

Last edited by Sheel : 4th September 2024 at 07:24. Reason: Mod note attached.
SmoothRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 12:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRider View Post

How often do you change the spark plugs as this vehicle running on CNG? Also, does the 3rd generation Honda City come with iridium spark plugs?
Hey, I haven't tracked the exact months to change the spark plugs, but I proactively check them every 10,000 KMs when I give her for service.

I have changed the spark plugs twice in my ownership after CNG i.e. 3.5 years and around 60,000 KMs. I'm not sure if this by the book, I'd suggest go by what the CNG fitter says minus 2000-5000 KMs.

Not sure about the Iridium plugs, sorry.
Old 4th September 2024, 17:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
So the decision to shift to the Ford Ecosport, to shortlisting and finalising one, and simultaneously selling the Honda City was done in under 10 days.
Hi Manas,
This thread is immaculate. Reading your journey through it was a pleasure. I'm sure you enjoyed way more, experiencing as well as jotting it down. Although Ford is no Honda, but I'm sure Ecosport will give you many more happy miles. Very few other cars could be a worthy successor to Almira.

Sedans are a rare breed on its own. And due to the over-cross-breeding of SUVs on our roads, classics like City are becoming a sigh to behold whenever I cross one.

I've always wanted to do an entire bharat bhraman with my life partner in a true sedan, ever since I was a young mechanical engineering fresher. You'd think I'd loose interest, with the advent of EVs, faster turbos, loads of creature comforts and all the bling the new age cars have to offer. But in the decade and half since, I've only lost my hairline and not the zeal.

The finance minister of the house (aka wife) has unearthed a 2012 City V-AT via Spinny and we're pursuing it extensively. It has its own pros and cons, namely:

Pros :
1. Beauty - Although looks are subjective, but for Gen 3 City, I don't think anyone would argue here.
2. TC - A joy for the mechanical engineer in me.
3. Paddle Shifters - Oh boy...!! IIRC, City and Civic were the first to offer paddle shifters in India.
4. 1st Owner - Less of hassle, better insurance and servicing history
5. Spinny - they offer 1 year warranty on engine + transmission and 3 years on electrials and peripherals
6. Sunroof - Though its not a biggie for me, but the finance minister has mandated it.

Cons :
1. Slightly over 1L driven - I know japs are meant to last longer than this, but I am curious on what expenses I should expect in the upcoming 1-2 years.
2. The car is in Delhi. We will have to drive it down to Pune on our own and later on get the RTO transfer done when the time comes. Although I've listed it under a con, but a long trip with the love of my life, is something that makes me giddy.
3. Year 2012 make - As this will be our first car, we most probably will want to keep it longer than the 3 years left in its life. Hence, post 2 years, we will need to get fitment testing and recertification done.

The car, travel up and down is costing around 4L. Coming from a middle class family, this is quite a big number. I just wanted the opinions of the more experienced folks on this forum on what i should expect, in terms of expenses for the next couple of years. Also, if you can help me with few points on what I should look for, at the time of checking the car, I'll be ever grateful.

Here's to happy miles and brighter smiles!!

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th September 2024 at 17:25.
vippul4friends is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 19:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippul4friends View Post
Hi Manas,
This thread is immaculate.
Also, if you can help me with few points on what I should look for, at the time of checking the car, I'll be ever grateful.
Hello, thank you for the kind words. She really was a keeper until I found the Ford.

Coming to your query, I personally feel that you should avoid the hassle of getting the car from Spinny as well as Delhi. Yes, getting the car from Spinny would be a smooth process, but the price is jacked up by quite a lot, and you can get great deals on OLX and in Maharashtra only. I was searching for the same model for a relative of mine, and I could spot some good deals.

Spending 4L on the car + transport / trip costs + registering it here would be a very expensive affair.

I feel you can get a good example around 3L in Mumbai / Pune itself which is an automatic V variant 2012 2013 model run between 70-90k KMs.

You can drop me a PM, I would love to help further in shortlisting.

Cheers!
Old 4th September 2024, 21:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Spending 4L on the car + transport / trip costs + registering it here would be a very expensive affair.
Cheers!
Hi Manas, the 4L is inclusive of the car, fuel and toll cost for the trip and our flight to Delhi for two. Also, the trip is something we are excited about and are looking forward to.

However, if we can get any good reliable automatic with sunroof in Pune/Mumbai or nearby, I can try and convince the FM.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th September 2024 at 21:47.
vippul4friends is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 23:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippul4friends View Post
Hi Manas, the 4L is inclusive of the car, fuel and toll cost for the trip and our flight to Delhi for two. Also, the trip is something we are excited about and are looking forward to.

However, if we can get any good reliable automatic with sunroof in Pune/Mumbai or nearby, I can try and convince the FM.
Despite the inclusions, registering the car in Maharashtra will cost you another 70-80k if I'm not wrong.

And avoid Delhi cars or cars which you cannot go and check personally with the assumptions that you may not go through with the deal.

You can buy the car in MH and drive to Delhi, but the opposite makes no sense to me, but your call.

And it's run over a lakh, no matter how reliable Honda are, it's about the engine, there are other things such as suspension, steering rack which are persistant issues in this generation. Not to mention the rusting issues if at all.

I'd genuinely suggest search for MH cars.

Most Viewed