Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 18:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse

Congratulations of your purchase!

This generation of the City was really good, in terms of build quality.
Personally, I prefer the overall appearance of this generation over the newer ones.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 19:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Prologue:

Pros:

12) Steering control buttons and stalks feel sturdy, good to the touch. (Do the indicators have a lane switch function?) Haven't used cruise control yet, as I still don't have the owner's manual.

16) The alloys look gorgeous, the only change I would like is to color them to a different shade.

Cons:

5) Door storage is satisfactory, probably might accommodate just 500 ml bottles. I am struggling with a location to keep my umbrellas after getting in the car during the rains, please suggest. The passenger needs to hold them upright throughout.

7) Lots of road noise, almost comparable to Palio. What can be done? I don't want to change the tires until they're exhausted. They're stock specifications. Can I retrofit wheel well cladding? Any other tips?
Congratulations on a great car. It's an absolute steal if you can find a low run car like you you have.

I see that the quoted points are your initial impressions and you probably have an answer already but I will respond nonetheless.

For the Pros:

12) I have attached below 3 pages from the owner's manual regarding cruise control (PDF File)

[ATTACH=Cruise Control - 3rd Gen Honda City.pdf]2172840[/ATTACH]

12) Yes, the indicators DO NOT have a lane switch mode, which is a major gripe imo.

16) It's strictly your personal choice, but I highly recommend not changing the colour of your alloys. I feel it really looks great in stock form. If you must I suggest a light gun metal grey shade.

For the cons:

5) It looks like the wet umbrella situation, sadly, has no solution. Keep a microfiber in the car and slowly coax the umbrella into passenger footwell (into a small flat container perhaps ?). Wipe off any drips before you start driving. Not elegant, very rudimentary but it's worked alright for me so far

Perhaps some other owner can share a better solution

7) Road Noise: It seems to be well contained below 80 km/h, bearable till 100 km/h but becomes a little annoying after 100 km/h. This is a common complaint I've noticed across threads and experienced as well. The most common solution is going for Michelin's. Other than that, I am on the hunt as well. I'm thinking sound deadening for the wheel wells ?

Again I hope other owners can share a thought or two.

And here's my own recent acquisition. A silver 2012 V-MT. Rains always ruining the tyres. (Any chance to show off, right ? )

Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse-anhc-bridge.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cruise Control - 3rd Gen Honda City.pdf (5.46 MB, 210 views)
ibisbrew is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Prologue:
12) Steering control buttons and stalks feel sturdy, good to the touch. (Do the indicators have a lane switch function?) Haven't used cruise control yet, as I still don't have the owner's manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
Congratulations on a great car. It's an absolute steal if you can find a low run car like you you have.
12) Yes, the indicators DO NOT have a lane switch mode, which is a major gripe imo.
I seem to have missed this point. I think the cruise control function has already been explained by others. As for lane switch, you have to hold the indicator stalk up/down for left/right. No need to push/click it all the way in the "locked" position. Once you complete your lane change manoeuvre you simply let go and the indicators stop flashing.

I have only seen this weird implementation in the City. All other cars that I've driven either didn't have lane change functionality or it was a tap up/down for left/right and it would flash the indicators 3 or 5 times. Sometimes they would be too short, sometimes too long. City's implementation, while quirky, worked for me.

Last edited by pratik1992 : 29th June 2021 at 20:52.
pratik1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 22:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
As for lane switch, you have to hold the indicator stalk up/down for left/right. No need to push/click it all the way in the "locked" position. Once you complete your lane change manoeuvre you simply let go and the indicators stop flashing.

I have only seen this weird implementation in the City. All other cars that I've driven either didn't have lane change functionality or it was a tap up/down for left/right and it would flash the indicators 3 or 5 times. Sometimes they would be too short, sometimes too long. City's implementation, while quirky, worked for me.
I did check the owner's manual, if lane switch was actually a thing, it would be mentioned in there. It's not a weird implementation but Honda just gave it a miss altogether and what you've described is just a way around it. It's just a normal indicator stalk that one holds onto instead of pulling it all the way and locking it in position for turning.

Last edited by ibisbrew : 29th June 2021 at 22:07.
Old 29th June 2021, 22:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I did check the owner's manual, if lane switch was actually a thing, it would be mentioned in there. It's not a weird implementation but Honda just gave it a miss altogether and what you've described is just a way around it. It's just a normal indicator stalk that one holds onto instead of pulling it all the way and locking it in position for turning.
You could be correct. Most of the cars that I’ve driven had the tap-to-change-lane type of stalk. In the other cars I have driven, I never noticed that you could keep the indicators running by holding the stalk in position and not locking it. Could be my ignorance.

Just offered to suggest something that I observed. ManasN95 may use the info if he likes it.

With time I actually preferred the weird City type of lane change. I always knew that if I’m not touching it, it means it’s off. The tap ones would sometimes be too short or too long. Will stop my rambling here. Don’t want to take the thread into a UX direction
pratik1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 23:40   #21
BHPian

You purchased the right vehicle indeed. As an owner of a 2013 Civic V AT myself, I have always believed that the 3rd Gen City was a real step up and most sedan like in its design and dynamics. It offers 80 to 90 percent of the Civic with way better reliability and maintenance expenses. Car sure is a keeper. Do keep in mind that the Transmission fluid would need to be checked and changed every 40k kms using the Honda Genuine ATF which is for all Honda Torque converter equipped slush boxes like the 8th Gen Civic. Many happy miles.

Regards,
raunaqv471 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 07:23   #22
BHPian

Very nice purchase. The 2009-2013 Honda City is still my favorite in terms of design.

I also owned the same car but unfortunately it got totalled in a wreck.

Ofcourse, don't keep the car for long term with CNG, sooner or later it will start taking its toll on the engine, emission system and rear suspension.
pta320 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 07:58   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. It is one of the best vehicles that I have owned.

I sold it eventually as I wanted to go for an A/T car and mine was manual. If mine was an A/T, I would have not sold it.
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 12:12   #24
BHPian

Nice review.

The car is absolutely no nonsense, no fuss. Have been enjoying every bit of it. Love the way MT kicks though auto has its own charm.

The engine is so bloody silent that most of times while halted in neutral, it gives a feel as if the car is off. While CNG on this car may not justify to its stature but that's a personal choice.

This generation is by far the best when Honda was a real "Honda". Have been a sucker of this aggressive arrow design and she always caught my sight when I didn't had her. This was the only one car on my mind since 2009 which I finally nailed on after a along big pause.....

Here's mine down the spine!
Attached Thumbnails
Used 3rd-gen Honda City Automatic - Almira | A utilitarian workhorse-1-1.jpg  

Last edited by metropolis : 30th June 2021 at 12:22.
metropolis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 22:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Great choice, @ManasN95.

At least you know you haven't missed anything out.

Thanks a lot Sir, I was really lucky as this deal was spotted and sealed very swiftly.

Yes, I had scoured TeamBHP forums before this purchase, I got her checked from a local mechanic I trust + two Honda ASCs, a thumbs up from everyone alike + transparency from the dealer and the previous owner gave me the confidence to go ahead!

1. DO NOT change the colour of the alloys - it will spoil the looks of the car

2. For the road noise, look up the forum and you'll find solutions. Clue : damping.

Now that I look back, I am not going to change the colour of the alloys, in fact repaint them silver again should I find them chipping at places! Does break the monotony of the black/metallic brown.

Although I can understand running costs

offset all your gains on CNG.

Unfortunately, I had to. I run her on petrol first thing in the morning for a good 2-3 KMs and the last 2-3 KMs of the day again on petrol.
My replies in bold, as there were multiples points to reply to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
Are you going to make any mechanical changes or upgrades? Perhaps anything as simple as a better inhaling airfilter?
Thanks a lot! Yes, I only recently serviced her, in which I changed the air filter too. I came across a start-up called Schroll Air Filters, I am going to try them the next time. They claim their air filters to be better breathing, translating to 20-30% better efficiency numbers! Let's wait & see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Cheers
Good to know! My installer mentioned that the City wouldn't need an advancer kit, and hence he hasn't installed it. I am seeing 90% of the performance, so don't really feel the difference! Can it be installed separately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAINMAN View Post
Congratulations!
Brake pads wearing out in around 18k kms could have raised a red flag for odometer tampering.
This could have been replaced knowingly by the owner once the tires age 5 years.
Hi, thanks! I was puzzled about the brake thickness too but gave up in the end. Excessive braking because of only city driving could be the cause?

Yes, she mentioned herself that she changed the tires in 2018 because the stock tires were 5 years old.

Quote:
Happy to see that you're enjoying the car.

Did fitting the CNG change any of the driving characteristics?
It was my first car after all.
Hey, thanks a lot for your help on the other threads too!

So far, I have felt the rear suspension to be more composed, especially on ghats, but I am a novice yet to judge accurately. Acceleration is 90% of what it used to be, so not much bothered yet.

Sorry to see yours go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
Hearty congratulations on your purchase!

To use cruise control

They fold backward when pushed by any other passing vehicle.
Thanks a ton for your explanation of the cruise control! I can finally try it the next time I hit the highways. And yes, thanks to the crowded area near me, my mirrors have been hit by motorcyclists twice, and they folded the other way without any damage!
ManasN95 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 22:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
As for lane switch, you have to hold the indicator stalk up/down for left/right.
Yes!! I have resorted to doing this same thing. It may be counted as a lane switch function or not, but I am accustomed to this now, at it's pretty convenient. Thanks!

Quote:
I always knew that if I’m not touching it, it means it’s off.
I second you on this, it's mighty convenient. The stalks are pretty easy to reach too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
I also owned the same car but unfortunately it got totalled in a wreck.
Ofcourse, don't keep the car for long term with CNG.
Thanks, and I am sorry for your Honda! I think that point is very far away, maybe I will have upgraded to a better proposition by then, or maybe not! She for sure is a keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
Many happy miles.
Thanks a lot, for sure I flirted with the idea of a Civic for quite a long time, especially as we have a gold mine here on the forums on the Civic, but the car felt too rich for my status then, even after what, 10-11 years after its launch? Too good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Nice review.
While CNG on this car may not justify its stature but that's a personal choice.
Hi, thanks a lot! Yes, some might perceive CNG installation in a different view than mine, but the petrol rates + low mileage from a TC box had me bankrupt! In any way, I am not going to put the CNG sticker so that no one realises it is a CNG Honda

Quote:
It's an absolute steal if you can find a low run car like you you have.

I have been lucky twice now, with the CBR250R (at just 800KMs and one year old at a lakh cheaper than its market price) and now the City!

12) I have attached below 3 pages from the owner's manual regarding cruise control (PDF File)

16) It's strictly your personal choice

For the cons:

5) It looks like the wet umbrella situation, sadly, has no solution.

7) Road Noise: Other than that, I am on the hunt as well. I'm thinking sound deadening for the wheel wells?
Thanks a lot for the PDF of the cruise control, I can finally use it!

Yes, I am not changing the alloy color, looks good for me!
I am struggling with the umbrella too, but I am thinking of getting one of those chair organizers, which has an arm to hold the umbrella, not quite sure though.

Please let me know if you could get a link to the wheel well deadening too!

Thanks a lot, everyone for the overwhelming reception for this thread!
I hope to keep updating this thread as much as I can!
ManasN95 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 00:02   #27
BHPian

I am sooo jealous!!
I bought a 2012 city automatic 32k kms, for 5.5 lakhs! Spent 55k more for tyres and HU.. effectively paying 6l for the car!
speedracer05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:53   #28
BHPian

Congrats.
I could identify with each word you have written as I myself own a 2013 Corporate Edition City.
Now I am more used to space offered by my fortuner so City feels a bit of a squeeze. Hence the thought of getting rid of it came to my mind several times. But the moment one starts driving, every such thought goes out of the window. And I can easily see the reasons:

1. Engine : 8/10 - reliable , silent, rev happy, purrs and growls nicely at right RPMs.
2. Gearbox: 9/10 - Golfball Gearknob is an eye candy, no less. It's lovely to hold, gearshift are precise and have a slight mechanical feel where you can feel an iota of two mettalic gears engaging. It feel oh so delightful while shifting. Somewhat like a sports car.
3. Visibility : 9/10 - extremely extremely good. Glass area is big and it feels roomy to driver and passenger both.
4. Seating comfort: 9/10 - very good. Nobody has ever complained.
5. Interiors: 9/10 - while it is subjective, I love the simple layout of dash, trims and texture of material. Its a honest to goodness car which delivers while making no effort at vociferously announcing it.
6. Build quality - 8/10 - acceptable, and certainly better than subsequent generation car.
7. SAFETY - 9/10 : Even my corporate edition car (poor man's City), while having no stereo comes with full plethora of safety features as given in top end variant.
8. Design - The arrowshot design is appealing to 99% of junta.

So it score very good at most of the parameters an average Joe wants.
Old 13th July 2021, 20:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Boot door might just be lighter even than my cat. ....
If you look up the boot roof below the rear glass, there are two rods that act as springs pushing the boot door up which counter-balances the weight of the boot door.

Basically, the boot door is spring loaded and that's why it feels weightless when you lift the boot door up.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 13th July 2021 at 20:54.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:25   #30
BHPian

At the end of 2022 now, does the 2010 Honda city V-AT still make sense? I am looking at a silver city with 55k kms on odo sitting at the dealer with asking price of 3.25L
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks