Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2021, 00:17   #91
BHPian

Re: Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)

Got the tyres upgraded today to Yoko BE 195/65R 15 and also got the Sensairy TPMS installed.
Tyres cost me 2.5k each and so got only the 4 tyres changed (I can live with that because in my entire 12yrs+ usage of Fiat Linea I used the spare wheel only once and that too for 25kms in total, so I don’t expect this to be any different).
TPMS display on mobile is quite ok and gives all the necessary warnings. Is an HUD available for Sensairy? Spent 17k in total so pocket is feeling light
Procrj: Did in get the under body cover fixed? If so I can get it done as well soon at the same place, saves me the effort of explaining the requirements.
Paying
Posting some pics from tyre change:
Attached Thumbnails
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-9c4b7178ab064540b1f651857d59df26.jpeg  

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-191b43835e1948449d4fa0fa9dca5377.jpeg  

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-28ebe7d88a3f47ddb2e4f41e8eb69b4f.jpeg  

B-Taurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 07:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Taurus View Post
TPMS display on mobile is quite ok and gives all the necessary warnings. Is an HUD available for Sensairy? Spent 17k in total so pocket is feeling light
Yes. Sensairy does have a HUD for around 2k additional. Last I checked it was out of stock though.

Not sure which variant you got but there is a Android Auto version too but you need to ask Sensairy to send you the .apk file.
Old 30th August 2021, 16:35   #93
BHPian

Thanks Jithin for the input regarding the Head Unit from Sensairy, will check with my tyre dealer. I’m aware of the Android Auto workaround, but I use an iPhone and this option is not yet available for Apple CarPlay. However my car dealer told me that something is coming up on a few mins and Sensairy is working on it.

Experience with my XL6 has been great so far, did a “small” long drive yesterday and got an opportunity to drive on the Electronics City flyover, tried the Cruise Control and it’s pretty smooth and hassle free to use.
Have been reading the manual to get more info about the car and it’s features.

Still getting used to the automatic transmission and at times the left leg twitches to use the “clutch” and so far I’ve managed successfully in resisting this

Need help with 4 topics:
1) Tried to open the rear number plate lights to upgrade to LED, but was unsuccessful, any amount of anti-clockwise rotation of the lamp cover was impossible. Need help here.
2) would like to change the interior lamps to LED as well. Couldn’t get the lamp removed in the front side, so need help with process and will the same LED lamp fit. The rear seat reading lamp is different, will this fit (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FCH5YW7/...F6GPNYA632VSY8)
3) Yesterday and today I got the error “Key Fob Not Detected”, I had to use the key to open the doors. Why does this happen? What’s the workaround?
4) Driver side window doesn’t stop where I want it to, it’s either fully up, or fully down, though on rare occasions I’ve successfully stopped in between, does it need recalibration?

Still waiting for the “Alpha” camera, I hope they’ll manage to get it.
Old 31st August 2021, 16:19   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need help with 4 topics:
I don't want to hijack RJ's thread but I can answer few queries not specific to XL6.

Quote:
1) Tried to open the rear number plate lights to upgrade to LED, but was unsuccessful, any amount of anti-clockwise rotation of the lamp cover was impossible. Need help here.
2) would like to change the interior lamps to LED as well. Couldn’t get the lamp removed in the front side, so need help with process and will the same LED lamp fit. The rear seat reading lamp is different, will this fit (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FCH5YW7/...F6GPNYA632VSY8)
Check the manual. There should be instructions on how to remove the cover for the lights.

Quote:
3) Yesterday and today I got the error “Key Fob Not Detected”, I had to use the key to open the doors. Why does this happen? What’s the workaround?
Were you carrying any electronic device/mobile phone along with the key fob when this occurred? Per my observation, if you keep the smart key and cell phone in the same pocket/next to each other, the car is unable to detect the key.

Quote:
4) Driver side window doesn’t stop where I want it to, it’s either fully up, or fully down, though on rare occasions I’ve successfully stopped in between, does it need recalibration?
I hope you are aware of the 'one touch' up and down feature. Due to this feature, if you click up(or down) and leave it, the window would continue in that direction till the end unless you intervene with the button again.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 16:31   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you feel the driver side switch mentioned AUTO, it works in 2 steps, unlike other switches. If you push gently and remain till first step then it stops when you stop. If you push/pull completely till 2nd step, it will go all the way up and down.

Try this.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:43   #96
BHPian

Thanks Ashis89 and Shashi for your inputs regarding the driver window lifter.
I’m aware of the auto lift up and down functions however, like Shashi mentioned, I didn’t know about the 2 step function of the button, will try that out soon.
Meanwhile I successfully got the front reading lamps and number plate lamps replaced with white LED. Got it done at an accessories dealer when I had gone there to enquire about transparent sun film for the windshields and windows, more about that later.
The interior front lamp is fantastic, bright and white. They’re are Blaupunkt LED T10 Pro. Cost me 450/- for a pair, the number plate LEDs are from boodmo (which Shashi had mentioned in one of his posts). The rear interior reading lamp which I bought on Amazon (link in my previous post) was too short in length and I had to return it, the car accessories dealer didn’t have the lamp in stock, so will get it done in my next visit.

The accessories dealer quoted 10.5k for the sun film on all the glasses incl front and rear windshield, brand is Platinum and he says it’s better than 3M (hard to believe). The film on the front is different from the sides and it can cut UV by 90%, heat by 50% and glare by 24%. They’re therefore slightly expensive than the ones for the side windows which he claims can cut UV by 90% and heat by 30%.
He also said that it can be applied on the rear windshield and the defogger is not a problem.
Any opinion guys?
Price of 10.5k is quite attractive (My Linea had 3M film only on the front shield and it cost me 5.5k 12 yrs ago). Anyone has any experience on this?

Meanwhile the “Alpha” camera has arrived and will get it installed soon (along with the number plates).

Signing off with a few pics which are self explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-5381be4aceea4eb3b285b4e1c4d5bd02.jpeg  

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-ec3f37b5fa264e90b80a80148bf0fdb9.jpeg  

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-2f2c13161fbd435593cb9703011bbe58.jpeg  

B-Taurus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:04   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The interior front lamp is fantastic, bright and white.
Looks good. Somehow Halogens>LEDs is one change which I always recommend, but till now I'm loving the old school Halogens for the interior lights. Somehow that orange/yellowish hue gives a richer feel now, since almost everyone's cabin is white these days. My case is like one of those vintage themed hotels who deliberately give old dilapidated stuff to make you feel rich.

Also in some cars, the LEDs turn out to be too bright and harsh. Not sure how it is in the XL6. In such cases also I prefer a gentle illumination.

Regarding sunfilms, if it's not much of an issue with cops in your city, go with 3M CR70 from a 3M store. There are too many fakes floating around. Don't listen to the accessories chap since they will promote what they have. I too want to get this done, but unfortunately my car visits cities where cops stop your car and feel the edge of the glass when they feel like.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Sorry RJ for hijacking your thread!
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 17:44   #98
BHPian

Got the “Alpha” camera installed today, along with the number plate. I ensured that the part number is what I had given and also compared it with the normal camera, they look slightly different (see pics), especially the outside glass which covers the camera.
As expected the wiring was existing, the connectors had to be snap fixed on the boot door. I was told that there’s a connection to be done in the HUD and I disagree to open it up. The installation guy them opened up the glove box and fixed the connector by feeling it with his fingers. Good job he did.
The camera video looks good, can’t comment on the difference between this and the “normal” camera.
Had to pay the difference amount of 1.4K as the “free” camera promised was only 5k worth. My RM said the he’ll have to otherwise pay from his pocket and so I obliged. At least I got the right camera.
Meanwhile happened to read about the DRM on a post on Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...dian-cars.html (Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) radio in Indian cars)) and tried it out today. Was pleasantly surprised to find 2 channels and the sound quality is pretty good (digital). See pic of the DRM playing.
Also download Suzuki SmartplayStudio and SmartPlayRemote, pretty cool features they have.
Anyone else who’s used DRM?
Have also downloaded an internet radio app on my mobile (Simple Radio) and played (thru Bluetooth) music of my choice of language without ads, it’s such a good break from FM, have started to hate the ads and the philosophy given out by the RJs.
So far driving has been smooth, am still reading the manual
Automatic transmission is such a boon to mankind tho
Attached Thumbnails
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-e611265d6ff043d098947994d2a25b47.jpeg  

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-59db22538d9d4a5d81cda0fa86216a0d.jpeg  

Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-eae0541dc2c54705b612eab7d1c1bd41.jpeg  

B-Taurus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 18:13   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got the “Alpha” camera installed today, along with the number plate. I ensured that the part number is what I had given and also compared it with the normal camera, they look slightly different (see pics), especially the outside glass which covers the camera.
Thanks for sharing the comparison pics, indeed the Alpha camera looks a bit different.
Old 4th September 2021, 18:23   #100
BHPian

Oops I think I named the cameras wrong, the one on top is the Alpha and the bottom one is Normal. My bad
Old 4th September 2021, 22:43   #101
BHPian

Corrected the pic now
Attached Thumbnails
Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT)-b882884277d148469ac52093b298123b.jpeg  

B-Taurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:24   #102

hello, this thread is a great resource of information. thanks everyone. i have a few queries, pardon me if they have already been addressed.

i'm considering a new xl6 for my in laws, both elderly. largely for the ease of ingress and ease of maintenance being a maruti.

1. the sales guy has informed me that the warranty will be void if i upgrade to 195/65r15s. what has been the experience of other forum members?
2. i have also been advised against an aftermarket underbody cover. something about the engine being open to collapse in case of a collision.
3. since it will be owned and maintained by my in laws, any new car niggles that i should be aware of? this is the reason why i haven't considered the safari and am not waiting for the xuv700.
4. are the seats of the zeta variant easy to clean or is it better to install aftermarket faux leather covers?

thanks!
Old 9th September 2021, 09:41   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwrite View Post
1. the sales guy has informed me that the warranty will be void if i upgrade to 195/65r15s. what has been the experience of other forum members?
The warranty will not be void just because you change the profile of the tires. In case something goes wrong with the suspension or steering, the service center will attribute this to the upgraded tire profile that is all.

Coming to your query on how is this upgrade for XL6/Ertiga duo, let me tell you that you will not find anyone complain about the steering or the suspension going bad only after installing these tires. Please bear in mind that this is a very minimalistic upgrade that can really ruin anything in your car.

I have covered 93k km with 205/60 profile and over 1L km on 195/65 profile on my first generation Ertiga but that doesn't mean XL6 will be any different.

Quote:
2. i have also been advised against an aftermarket underbody cover. something about the engine being open to collapse in case of a collision.
This is not right. The Underbody cover is a mere piece of metal sheet. The engine weight even when you rest it on this sheet will result in the sheet collapsing upon pressure so forget that the sheet will prevent the engine from falling down.

Quote:
3. since it will be owned and maintained by my in laws, any new car niggles that i should be aware of?
A fairly reliable vehicle like any other one from the Maruti stable. There are no such niggles in the XL6 that should affect your buying decision.

Quote:
4. are the seats of the zeta variant easy to clean or is it better to install aftermarket faux leather covers?
I am a fan of faux leather covers. These are easy to wash with foam and retain the shape of the seat and make the interior look cleaner compared to fabric seats that can hold dust. If you have kids, faux leather is even better as any spillage on the seats will not penetrate into the foam below the covers and are washable.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:48   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The warranty will not be void just because you change the profile of the tires. In case something goes wrong with the suspension or steering, the service center will attribute this to the upgraded tire profile that is all.

Coming to your query on how is this upgrade for XL6/Ertiga duo, let me tell you that you will not find anyone complain about the steering or the suspension going bad only after installing these tires. Please bear in mind that this is a very minimalistic upgrade that can really ruin anything in your car.

I have covered 93k km with 205/60 profile and over 1L km on 195/65 profile on my first generation Ertiga but that doesn't mean XL6 will be any different.

This is not right. The Underbody cover is a mere piece of metal sheet. The engine weight even when you rest it on this sheet will result in the sheet collapsing upon pressure so forget that the sheet will prevent the engine from falling down.

A fairly reliable vehicle like any other one from the Maruti stable. There are no such niggles in the XL6 that should affect your buying decision.

I am a fan of faux leather covers. These are easy to wash with foam and retain the shape of the seat and make the interior look cleaner compared to fabric seats that can hold dust. If you have kids, faux leather is even better as any spillage on the seats will not penetrate into the foam below the covers and are washable.
Dear Parag, thanks so much for your reply. made my purchase decision easier. cheers!

So essentially if i understand correctly, if i upgrade, even if there happens to be a manufacturing defect in the steering or suspension, lower arm etc, the ASS could attribute it to the tyre upgrade and not honour the warranty?

Last edited by misterwrite : 9th September 2021 at 10:55. Reason: to elaborate my reply and ask a further question
Old 9th September 2021, 11:02   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwrite View Post
So essentially if i understand correctly, if i upgrade, even if there happens to be a manufacturing defect in the steering or suspension, lower arm etc, the ASS could attribute it to the tyre upgrade and not honour the warranty?
To be honest they cannot deny warranty claim citing tyre upgrade.

I got my steering rack replaced under warranty when the odo was 57k km and my car was running on 205/60s already.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks