Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2021, 10:27   #16
BHPian

Re: My First Car - Its a Toyota Glanza | Initial Ownership Review

Congratulations on the new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopaneel View Post
Sometime in December, I think enough is enough and I decide to head to the Maruti showroom to ask them in person, if they have news on the Swift update. It was a Mandovi Motors showroom that I visited. Clean and neat showroom, which seemed professionally managed unlike the Skoda showroom. Unlike the Skoda, they also took me seriously even though I walked in with a backpack and my helmet. For a brand which sells India's most affordable cars, they definitely provide a good showroom experience.
Agree completely! For a company that sells high volumes, their sales associates are very affable, friendly and earnest.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written review gopaneel.

Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with your Glanza. I own a Glanza in the same shade (but in the V trim) and I have the same LTD sticker stuck on the bumper.
My First Car - Its a Toyota Glanza | Initial Ownership Review-gl_1.jpg

I see so many similarities in the way you evaluated and chose the Glanza over its competition. Like you, I chose the Glanza over the Baleno, because I hated the crowded setup in Maruti workshops.

I shall be following your thread and please do keep updating the thread.

All the best!

P.S Any reason why you did not shortlist the Altroz?

Last edited by skanchan95 : 21st April 2021 at 11:30.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new set of wheels. Wish you many miles of safe and happy driving. Other than the badge and the ASS centre is any thing else different in Glanza versus its Maruti equivalent - any features, materials, interiors, safety aids or technical parameters? Or is it exactly the same product Maruti sold/sells. This is a genuine question. Your inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 12:45   #19
BHPian

hey welcome to the Glanza Club! You will see the difference of the T badge in your service experience which is top notch with Toyota. The Glanza is a complete value for money car considering the kind of space and features it offers.

The only topic where a Glanza/Baleno owner should keep quiet are:
1. Build Quality
2. NVH
3. Throw of light from those LEDs in rains. Drive very carefully in rains.

Rest all other aspects of the car are worth the money. Wishing you a lot of happy and safe miles.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Other than the badge and the ASS centre is any thing else different in Glanza versus its Maruti equivalent - any features, materials, interiors, safety aids or technical parameters? Or is it exactly the same product Maruti sold/sells. This is a genuine question.
Sir, if I may answer that, the Glanza and the Baleno are the same car. The only differences are

1. The Grill

2. Toyota Emblems replacing the Suzuki ones on the grill, hatch door, steering wheel, alloy wheel hub caps and the infotainment welcome screen.

3. The Glanza gets "G" & "V" emblems, based on the variant, on the hatch door. The Baleno doesn't get any emblem for its variants (Sigma/Delta/Zeta/Alpha)

4. The boot light in the Glanza, although automatic, has a manual on/off switch. The Baleno didn't have this on/off switch(atleast in the example I saw)

Other than these differences, they are the same.

Equipment & Feature wise, the top-end "V" variant of the Glanza is based on the Baleno's top-end "Alpha" variant and Glanza "G" variant is based on the Baleno's mid variant - "Zeta". There are no feature additions/deletions between the two.

The Glanza, however, doesn't have an equivalent for the Baleno's lower "Sigma" & "Delta" variants.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you skanchan95 for your comprehensive answer. Would you know if the Glanza car is manufactured at a Toyota plant or it is made at the Suzuki plant but sold via Toyota dealerships. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
...if I may answer that, the Glanza and the Baleno are the same car. The only differences are

Old 23rd April 2021, 12:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you skanchan95 for your comprehensive answer. Would you know if the Glanza car is manufactured at a Toyota plant or it is made at the Suzuki plant but sold via Toyota dealerships. Thanks in advance.
It's made at Suzuki plants, and sold to Toyota.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
It's made at Suzuki plants, and sold to Toyota.

Regards,
Shashi
Thank you Shashi.

A lot of folks, including some on Team BHP decry Maruti Suzuki about their thin metal, no thud in the door, focus on FE versus what ever else etc but the fact is the world's leading auto maker has found their products and manufacturing process good enough to adopt these cars and make them a Toyota product. Given the way the Japanese work they must have done a super thorough assessment from nose to tail twice over before taking the plunge. It says something about Maruti Suzuki products. Most importantly it says the Maruti Suzuki under stand the psyche of the Indian customer to the tee. Just look at the picture perfect positioning of the XL6 as an example. Not to mention Swift and Dzire.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 00:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing a great report! Your car will go to our homepage tomorrow .

Wishing you a minimum of 150,000 happy km & road-trips with your car. Congrats!
Thank you for putting it on the homepage, I'm really happy. As mentioned in the thread, I've waited a long time to get my first car and put my initial ownership experience on team-bhp.

I reported the thread after my work in the assembly line a few days back. Since then, it's been really crazy. I had registered for an AWS certification, which I took today and passed Other than preparing for it, it has been a busy couple of weeks at work. The pandemic has been crazy, this time affecting a lot of people at work. Luckily, most of them seem to be on the path to recovery. So, apologize for the delayed responses on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
First of all, congratulations on the acquisition. That was a lovely review too. Very engaging and felt like the entire process was explained really well. You also have great observations on the features. I am pleasantly surprised at the list of features the Glanza base has. Lot of high end cars do not have many features in the base versions. One question - why are you comparing the NVH levels of the Glanza with the Venue? The Venue is in a different segment altogether and ought to be good on all fronts. Any specific reasons?
I rarely write because I don't think I have any imagination. Glad to hear you found it engaging. Regarding, the Venue, I guess I made the comparison since it's another car I've spent time in recently. Yours is a valid point that the Venue is from a higher segment. But since the Baleno/Glanza are supposed to be premium hatchbacks, I would've expected better NVH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNG-motorhead View Post
Congrats! She is a beauty and the T badge will ensure peace of mind, good decision. The brake noise you mentioned, same experience on our ignis. Felt it was coming from the rear, like a scraping sound(very faint). The service center folks couldn’t find anything and I let it go as well.
Yes, doesn't look like there is another option. But I've also decided to ignore it since Toyota had a good look at it and I now have it on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
Congratulations on the new car! Wishing you many happy miles!

Might be due to the lighting conditions or angles, but I love the colour more from the front view, than from the rear. The former looks more deeper silver and classy while the rear angle shot makes it a routine light silver.

I agree with your observations on the NVH levels, light steering and inadequate headlamps. I had been on a Blr-Mysuru drive in a colleague's Baleno was surprised at how much road noise creeps post 80kmph and the engine noise at 100+kmph. The steering as you point, was too light for comfort post 100kmph. I feel a 6th gear or a taller 5th gear might have helped to cruise at lower RPMs. My daily driver is a 2014 i20 Elite (Diesel) and draw my reference from there.
My i20 came with stock headlights as poor as my Dad's Tata Nano (2009). Upgraded to better Phillips lamps with a relay kit, else it would not be driveable on city ring roads, let alone highways. I found the Baleno low beam to be fine for city but high beam was a big let down. The way it lights up when using for "passing" gave me high expectations of illumination capabilities.

That said, it is a fantastic car for mostly city use. The clutch is unbelievably light and the steering a joy in city. The space inside is slightly more than the i20, I feel. At least, it is more open. And the mileage is the icing on the cake. While I struggle to get 14kmpl in city traffic, in my Diesel i20, a petrol Baleno gives 19+kmpl with a light foot. Unbelievable!

Also, how is the rear camera and display? The Baleno I drove had a static line for guidance and was displayed on the rear view mirror, which was not so great in bright sunlight due to glare on the mirror surface. A dynamic reversing guide on the display is quite helpful for city parking, but so many current gen cars skimp on it!
The picture from the rear was taken in poor light, so had to edit the image on Google Drive. That could be why it's not looking great. Regarding the noise at higher speeds, I think it's mostly tyre/road noise and may not be the engine. Regarding the mileage, the MID has shown a mileage of 22km/l on my Lepakshi trip, when I kept it under 80km/h. For the Coorg round trip, it was around 15.6km/l both on the MID and full tank to full tank. The reverse camera on mine is not factory fitted. But the quality seems fine in daylight and at night. However, the lines are static. I guess that would not be the case in the factory fitted V variant. In fact, I would like to know how the dynamic reverse guidelines work and I wonder if some connection is missing, that could enable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Congrats on your first car. It's a Maruti afterall and will serve you well for years to come.

Your writing style is engaging and kept me hooked!
As mentioned above, I rarely write. So very happy to know it was engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire0072 View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase. Your choice of colour is spot on as well. I got a chance to drive around the city with a friend's Glanza, and It was simply brilliant and effortless to commute inside the city.

Wishing you countless happy miles with your car. Stay safe.
Thank you for the wishes. My only thought about the decision is whether I should have gone for the grey instead of the silver. But I don't want my car to know I have such thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Congratulations on the new car!

A first car will forever remain special.

Only request to you is to be mindful of your high beam in the city. These headlights are particularly punishing
Thank you. I am always on the low beam. I just flash the high beam if someone is shining the high beam in my eye. Even then, I try to avoid the high beam for the sake of others using the low beam. I just cannot understand why people constantly drive with their high beams in the city.

Quote:
Nicely written review gopaneel.

Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with your Glanza. I own a Glanza in the same shade (but in the V trim) and I have the same LTD sticker stuck on the bumper.
Attachment 2146708

I see so many similarities in the way you evaluated and chose the Glanza over its competition. Like you, I chose the Glanza over the Baleno, because I hated the crowded setup in Maruti workshops.

I shall be following your thread and please do keep updating the thread.

All the best!

P.S Any reason why you did not shortlist the Altroz?
The black sticker seems to go very well with the shade of silver. The only thing I miss from the V variant is the UV cut glass. The sunlight in Bangalore seems to give my arm a sunburn. UV cut glass would really have helped and this is one feature without a legal aftermarket solution.

When I went with the Glanza, the Altroz Turbo was still not launched and the reviews about the original engine were not great. Even with the Turbo, it would've been beyond my budget. I also thought Maruti/Toyota would be a more stress-free ownership experience. But I've seen a few cars with my friends since I've bought the Glanza. I've really liked the Altroz and the Nexon. The Nexon in particular seems to be an all-rounder.

Quote:
Congratulations on your new set of wheels. Wish you many miles of safe and happy driving. Other than the badge and the ASS centre is any thing else different in Glanza versus its Maruti equivalent - any features, materials, interiors, safety aids or technical parameters? Or is it exactly the same product Maruti sold/sells. This is a genuine question. Your inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry, for the reasons mentioned above, this has been the longest period when I did not login to team-bhp. I see skanchan95 has provided a detailed answer. In addition to what skanchan95 has mentioned, there is an additional year of warranty and road-side assistance is also included.

Quote:
Sir, if I may answer that, the Glanza and the Baleno are the same car. The only differences are

1. The Grill

2. Toyota Emblems replacing the Suzuki ones on the grill, hatch door, steering wheel, alloy wheel hub caps and the infotainment welcome screen.

3. The Glanza gets "G" & "V" emblems, based on the variant, on the hatch door. The Baleno doesn't get any emblem for its variants (Sigma/Delta/Zeta/Alpha)

4. The boot light in the Glanza, although automatic, has a manual on/off switch. The Baleno didn't have this on/off switch(atleast in the example I saw)

Equipment & Feature wise, the top-end "V" variant of the Glanza is based on the Baleno's top-end "Alpha" variant and Glanza "G" variant is based on the Baleno's mid variant - "Zeta". There are no feature additions/deletions between the two.

The Glanza, however, doesn't have an equivalent for the Baleno's lower "Sigma" & "Delta" variants.
Thank you for the detailed response to the previous query. The changes are mostly with the emblems as you have mentioned. I, personally, was not aware of the switch for the boot-light.

Quote:
It is manufactured and shipped to the dealership from the Manesar plant, is what I was told by the executive.

Quote:
Thank you Shashi.

A lot of folks, including some on Team BHP decry Maruti Suzuki about their thin metal, no thud in the door, focus on FE versus what ever else etc but the fact is the world's leading auto maker has found their products and manufacturing process good enough to adopt these cars and make them a Toyota product. Given the way the Japanese work they must have done a super thorough assessment from nose to tail twice over before taking the plunge. It says something about Maruti Suzuki products. Most importantly it says the Maruti Suzuki under stand the psyche of the Indian customer to the tee. Just look at the picture perfect positioning of the XL6 as an example. Not to mention Swift and Dzire.
The Baleno/Glanza is definitely quite competent for a model that is 5+ years old and it shows in the numbers it does every month. It definitely reflects on how Maruti/Suzuki can make competent products.
gopaneel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the journey to "My First Car".
New car, Yaayy!
Congratulations! Wishing you many many happy years, miles and memories with your first car. The Glanza is a very practical and fully loaded first car, as you have pointed out yourself. Please do drive safe and enjoy the car.

Quote:
then confirm the issue is common to all Toyotas.
Tecnhincally, this is not a Toyota is it? Did you check if the caliper pins have been greased? Sometimes they dont have enough grease and tend to make this weird noise.

Quote:
While the steering is nice in the city and on the hills, it is too light for the highways. You really have to grab onto it after 100km/h and that feels tiring after a while.
Can you elaborate a little more? Do you grab onto it because it starts vibrating OR does it change directions quickly when given input?

Quote:
The LED projector headlamps on the Baleno have a bad reputation. But on the other side, they don't seem great.
Did you check if they have been levelled properly. If not, do check for the leveling screws and use them to level the low and high beams.

P.S: Looks like we stay in the same area in BLR. Maybe someday after this second wave, we can catch-up for a coffee or a drive

Last edited by procrj : 24th April 2021 at 11:21.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Congratulations! Wishing you many many happy years, miles and memories with your first car. The Glanza is a very practical and fully loaded first car, as you have pointed out yourself. Please do drive safe and enjoy the car.

Tecnhincally, this is not a Toyota is it? Did you check if the caliper pins have been greased? Sometimes they dont have enough grease and tend to make this weird noise.

Can you elaborate a little more? Do you grab onto it because it starts vibrating OR does it change directions quickly when given input?

Did you check if they have been levelled properly. If not, do check for the leveling screws and use them to level the low and high beams.

P.S: Looks like we stay in the same area in BLR. Maybe someday after this second wave, we can catch-up for a coffee or a drive
Thank you. Sorry, "Toyotas" must be a typo. I meant the issue exists with Glanzas. As mentioned in the thread, I think theToyota technicians feel the Maruti parts are not upto the mark. I will also ask regarding the caliper pins. Regarding the steering, there is no vibration. It feels very light on the highway and sensitive to the slightest input. A heavier steering or one that weighs up at higher speed would have been better. About the headlights, the technicians said there's not much they can do with the LED projectors. Not sure if it's true though. But I don't think the issue is with leveling, I think it gets scattered with oncoming traffic.

Good to know there's a Distinguished Bhpian around We should meet up once things settle.
Old 25th April 2021, 00:04   #27

Firstly congratulations on your purchase! Safety aside, the Glanza is the epitome of a long term, reliable Indian hatch. Loads of space, features, decent drivability and ease of maintenance.

Personally I would too pick the Toyota version over the Maruti version just for the T badge. If only there could be a hatch w engine, safety and dynamics of a Polo with the reliability, space and features of the glanza. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

My Mon - Fri drive is a Creta petrol AT (2018) and after having driven a Baleno CVT over a week when at a friends house outstation. All I can say is the smaller engine definitely feels more peppy and rev happy than the one in my Creta. Just watch our for steering wheel calibration as my friend’s Baleno suffered a sudden steering wheel malfunction while turning and caused a minor accident.

I wish you hundreds of thousands of kilometers of safe and happy motoring.
DieselTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 11:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTurbo View Post
Firstly congratulations on your purchase! Safety aside, the Glanza is the epitome of a long term, reliable Indian hatch. Loads of space, features, decent drivability and ease of maintenance.

Personally I would too pick the Toyota version over the Maruti version just for the T badge. If only there could be a hatch w engine, safety and dynamics of a Polo with the reliability, space and features of the glanza. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

My Mon - Fri drive is a Creta petrol AT (2018) and after having driven a Baleno CVT over a week when at a friends house outstation. All I can say is the smaller engine definitely feels more peppy and rev happy than the one in my Creta. Just watch our for steering wheel calibration as my friend’s Baleno suffered a sudden steering wheel malfunction while turning and caused a minor accident.

I wish you hundreds of thousands of kilometers of safe and happy motoring.
Thank you. Regarding other hatchbacks, I think the Altroz is well designed and strikes a good balance between space and dynamics. If Tata can provide a good ownership experience, it could be the pick of the hatchbacks.

About the engine, I feel the K12 revs easier than even Honda's 1.5 VTech. Definitely a great engine. The engine is something which made the Glanza an easy choice.

This is the first I'm hearing about the steering malfunction. Hope it never comes up. Brake and steering malfunctions are the scariest.
gopaneel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 11:27   #29

I agree, Tata really needs to up it’s game in terms of offering better transmission options and especially ASS.

Yes it’s a rare occurrence is such well engineered cars so you shouldn’t worry. The said friend also wasn’t the calmest driver and would quite often drive rough. From my personal knowledge of people living around me, anyone owning a Maruti the only issue they usually face is rattles in the car. But you would know that, it’s the national feature of the brand.
Old 26th April 2021, 11:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The reverse camera on mine is not factory fitted. But the quality seems fine in daylight and at night. However, the lines are static. I guess that would not be the case in the factory fitted V variant. In fact, I would like to know how the dynamic reverse guidelines work and I wonder if some connection is missing, that could enable it.
Even on the V, the reverse guideline is static and doesn't bend when you turn the steering wheel.

Quote:
The black sticker seems to go very well with the shade of silver. The only thing I miss from the V variant is the UV cut glass. The sunlight in Bangalore seems to give my arm a sunburn.
Yes, it is a very thoughtful feature on the top end variants of the Glanza & Baleno. The UV cut glass was one of the reasons why I went for the V variant instead of G.

Quote:
It feels very light on the highway and sensitive to the slightest input.
I feel the light weight of the Glanza/Baleno further amplifies the issue.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks