Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2021, 15:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Congratulations sid_deb. Very nice to see the growing fanbase of the 2.7 motor on this forum. Considering petrol market in the NCR is what I believe allowed you to have ready petrol options in the dealers. Wish the same was true for other cities too. I had to give petrol a pass owing to unavailability of test drives and leaned to diesel. Enjoy the beast and wish you tons of miles on the roads in the years to come.
Thank you so much. The petrol is in very short supply indeed, Toyota dispatched only ~130 units across India in Feb. The diesel is a strong performer as well, just doesn't make sense in the NCR with the 10 year rule. Hope you have a great ownership experience too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Great review, loved reading it. I have been thinking of getting the Crysta in next one year or so and after reading your review, I will definitely give petrol variant a serious look. Our usage is quite low and petrol should work just fine. On a different note, can you confirm if a feature like this is still available, my mum will love to strech her legs like this. https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-crysta-08.jpg
Thanks for sharing. I tried this in my Crysta now and it works well. The front seat has to be moved forward as much as possible and the headrest has to be removed.

Definitely going to enjoy this "recliner sofa" over the highway drives. The great thing is one can still buckle up at the rear.

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210413-3.01.25-pm.jpeg
Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210413-3.01.24-pm-1.jpeg
Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20210413-3.01.24-pm.jpeg

Last edited by sid_deb : 13th April 2021 at 16:14.
sid_deb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 16:46   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the review! Happy motoring!

We'll be booking a GX petrol AT soon and were thinking about upgrading the tyres from 16 to 17 inch ones. Do you think it will be a prudent thing to do?

Thanks!
Old 13th April 2021, 19:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

We'll be booking a GX petrol AT soon and were thinking about upgrading the tyres from 16 to 17 inch ones. Do you think it will be a prudent thing to do?

Thanks!
Thanks adwaith.

Congrats in advance on the booking. I would personally suggest not upgrading the tyres to 17 inch due to two reasons. One, the ride comfort on the 17 inch will be lower than the 16 inch. Two, I am not sure if you can use the 17 inch tyres on the existing rim which is compatible for 16 inch tyres. If not, doesn't make sense to replace those really good looking 16 inch diamond cut alloys Toyota is providing as standard now on the GX.
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
16 inchers offers more cushy ride and lets you blast through bad patches. They also offer peace of mind. That said on 4 lane highway, 17 inchers are offer more grip and rides better. 16 inchers has a bit more sideways movement too.
Overall I would say stick to 16, Stock Bridgestones are decent but the Apollo's are pathetic. Go for 215/65 R16 in case you want more grip.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:47   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on the new Innova Crysta. That 10k for the rear camera is well spent and I might really consider getting that for our ZX variant. 29.5L on road and the camera quality is that of a 1990’s TV. The only plus point would be the front sensors and the wide orvms.

I plan on purchasing multi terrain monitoring system when its available, hopefully it has a new rear camera included in it.
Old 16th April 2021, 22:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Thanks adwaith.

Congrats in advance on the booking. I would personally suggest not upgrading the tyres to 17 inch due to two reasons. One, the ride comfort on the 17 inch will be lower than the 16 inch. Two, I am not sure if you can use the 17 inch tyres on the existing rim which is compatible for 16 inch tyres. If not, doesn't make sense to replace those really good looking 16 inch diamond cut alloys Toyota is providing as standard now on the GX.
Thank you so much! Will stick to stock 16 inchers then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
16 inchers offers more cushy ride and lets you blast through bad patches. They also offer peace of mind. That said on 4 lane highway, 17 inchers are offer more grip and rides better. 16 inchers has a bit more sideways movement too.
Overall I would say stick to 16, Stock Bridgestones are decent but the Apollo's are pathetic. Go for 215/65 R16 in case you want more grip.
Thanks a lot! Will do that then.

There has been a sudden dilemma for my father as which variant to buy. I'm convinced about the petrol and so was he until he heard that the Coimbatore dealership has sold only 2 petrol cars thus far and that has made him wary. That coupled with the lower fuel efficiency here in the hills has got him thinking again.

I'm still pushing for the petrol, but do give me your suggestions as to which direction we should head. Thanks!
Old 16th April 2021, 23:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I'm still pushing for the petrol, but do give me your suggestions as to which direction we should head. Thanks!
The primary reason for choosing petrol over diesel is price and maintenance cost. Secondary reason would be engine refinement, petrol is slightly better but diesel is pretty good in itself (not as noisy as Fortuner) and the very last reason would be if you are environment conscious and also worried about possible strict regulations on diesel in future. Other than that there is no reason to choose petrol over diesel.

If your usage is high the price difference won't matter anymore when you account for fuel economy and fuel price. It will not even matter when diesel fetches more value during resale unless there any regulation issues in future. Toyota makes one of the most punchy diesel engines with good low end torque. You will definitely find a big difference in petrol and diesel when you load up the car with people and luggage. Weight doesn't really matter to diesel 2.4 and I have experienced this myself over 700km journey. I haven't bothered to change driving mode from Eco to anything else since I bought the car.
Technic90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 23:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restart View Post
Congratulations on the new Innova Crysta. That 10k for the rear camera is well spent and I might really consider getting that for our ZX variant. 29.5L on road and the camera quality is that of a 1990’s TV. The only plus point would be the front sensors and the wide orvms.

I plan on purchasing multi terrain monitoring system when its available, hopefully it has a new rear camera included in it.
I chose the rear camera since the dealership had offered accessories worth 25K as discount, this was the only electrical accessory I wanted at that time and thought it will be best to get this done from Toyota itself. That said, don't think its worth spending 10K on the camera, there are equally good if not better options available in the market at a fraction of the cost.

Also would have actually opted for fog lamps but they weren't in stock then.

Quote:
There has been a sudden dilemma for my father as which variant to buy. I'm convinced about the petrol and so was he until he heard that the Coimbatore dealership has sold only 2 petrol cars thus far and that has made him wary. That coupled with the lower fuel efficiency here in the hills has got him thinking again.

I don't think there is a life restriction in Coimbatore wrt diesel cars. Here in NCR, diesel cars older than 10 years can't run even though the RC is valid for 15 years. This was the main reason for me to opt for the petrol.

If your running is over 1500 kms a month and don't mind the noisier cabin, you can definitely go ahead with the diesel also.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 23:54   #24
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here in NCR, diesel cars older than 10 years can't run even though the RC is valid for 15 years. This was the main reason for me to opt for the petrol.
In such a case, the lifetime road tax for diesel cars that is calculated should be as per 10yrs life, correct? If not, we just discovered one more way of dumping hard earned money in state government’s pocket

Congrats on your vehicle!
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 00:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
The primary reason for choosing petrol over diesel is price and maintenance cost. Secondary reason would be engine refinement, petrol is slightly better but diesel is pretty good in itself (not as noisy as Fortuner) and the very last reason would be if you are environment conscious and also worried about possible strict regulations on diesel in future. Other than that there is no reason to choose petrol over diesel.
The other 3 of our cars are diesels, and personally, I think we at home, need to be a tad more environmentally conscious. Of course, overall cost is also important.

Quote:
If your usage is high the price difference won't matter anymore when you account for fuel economy and fuel price. It will not even matter when diesel fetches more value during resale unless there any regulation issues in future. Toyota makes one of the most punchy diesel engines with good low end torque. You will definitely find a big difference in petrol and diesel when you load up the car with people and luggage. Weight doesn't really matter to diesel 2.4 and I have experienced this myself over 700km journey. I haven't bothered to change driving mode from Eco to anything else since I bought the car.
So, the Innova that we buy would replace our old 2010 Innova. She's in good shape, but Dad wants to get her replaced before she loses all of her resale value.

She's run about 1 lakh kilometers so far and when I calculated last, she had done roughly about 850 kilometres in a month. As per my calculations, this would definitely make the petrol cheaper to us.

But ultimately, it's the resale value that has got my father to change his mind. He feels that it will be an issue when we sell the car about 7 to 10 years down the line.

But I beg to differ. I shall explain below.

Quote:
I don't think there is a life restriction in Coimbatore wrt diesel cars. Here in NCR, diesel cars older than 10 years can't run even though the RC is valid for 15 years. This was the main reason for me to opt for the petrol.
We don't have a restriction, so far.

In the near future, there are going to be changes to regulations just like the ones in NCR, owing to environmental reasons. And this for sure, is going to affect the resale value of diesels 10 years down the line, which is close to when we'll be selling it.

By the year 2030, which is 9 years away, the UK is moving entirely to electric mobility, barring a few hybrids. Luxury car manufacturers like Jaguar and Volvo, are changing their entire line up to electric by 2025 and 2030 respectively.

All major manufacturers are in a race to move to electric platforms. I'm not sure how far this is true, but I remember reading somewhere that the deal between Maruti and Toyota involves Maruti getting access to EV tech.

Renault Nissan and Volkswagen have also said that they'll eventually move to petrol only line ups.

All of this will definitely bring a change in regulations, hopefully for the betterment of the environment, but more likely to help sales.

I don't know if I can convince my father about this but these are the reasons why I think a petrol will have better resale 10 years down the line.
Old 19th April 2021, 00:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
In such a case, the lifetime road tax for diesel cars that is calculated should be as per 10yrs life, correct? If not, we just discovered one more way of dumping hard earned money in state government’s pocket

Congrats on your vehicle!
Thanks RJK. Sadly, it isn't. Diesel registration charges are also higher than petrol for the same model variant.

Quote:
The other 3 of our cars are diesels, and personally, I think we at home, need to be a tad more environmentally conscious. Of course, overall cost is also important.

She's run about 1 lakh kilometers so far and when I calculated last, she had done roughly about 850 kilometres in a month. As per my calculations, this would definitely make the petrol cheaper to us.

But ultimately, it's the resale value that has got my father to change his mind. He feels that it will be an issue when we sell the car about 7 to 10 years down the line.

I don't know if I can convince my father about this but these are the reasons why I think a petrol will have better resale 10 years down the line.
With about 850kms running, it makes a lot of sense to go for the petrol. It will take around 7-8 years to recover the extra 2.7L you will spend on the diesel considering a 10 Rs/L price difference between diesel and petrol. Even more if you factor in time value of money.

Personally, I won't be worried about the resale value. The Innova petrol is an excellent choice for cabs with CNG. The user base is restricted to the Tier 1-2 cities where CNG is readily available though. But the petrol Innovas in the country are also very few, so no issues finding a buyer then.
Old 19th April 2021, 08:55   #27
Team-BHP Support

To answer the questions of a few regarding resales, we are getting 4,5 lac via broker for our 2012/13 chandigarh registered Innova Manual VX which has done around 60 k. Am sure, we can find a direct customer for 5-5,5 lac easily. Problem is that one doesn’t want to part such capable vehicle that has zero expenses.

I doubt, diesel would have fetched us any higher at least here in NCR.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:25   #28
BHPian

The speed cameras in NCR are ensuring the traffic is moving at uniform speed. Indirectly also helping in getting good mileage at steady speeds.

Good to see that the Crysta petrol can also return close to 18-20kmpl if driven at a steady speed of 60-70 kmph in the city. The mileage does drop to 9-10kmpl in heavy bumper to bumper traffic which I encountered soon after entering AIIMS area.

Garnet Queen: My 2021 Toyota Innova Crysta GX MT Petrol Review-inkedwhatsapp-image-20210420-10.09.47-am_li.jpg

Requested my co-driver to capture a video of the instantaneous fuel chart and speed. And he obliged

Old 20th April 2021, 23:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I won't be worried about the resale value. The Innova petrol is an excellent choice for cabs with CNG. The user base is restricted to the Tier 1-2 cities where CNG is readily available though. But the petrol Innovas in the country are also very few, so no issues finding a buyer then.
Unfortunately for me, my father has made up mind. It's his money, so I see no point in trying to convince him otherwise anymore.

Thank you for your time and advice.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 17:05   #30
BHPian

I followed you to this thread from the Jeep Compass one. You do make a very strong argument in favour of the Crysta here!

I too am inclined towards a manual transmission - one, this is likely to be the last manual of our lives, second - I am looking at using it in thin traffic condition, or on highways, so I don't think manual should cause fatigue.

I was initially inclined towards the VX Petrol Manual (the GX seemed too plain Vanilla). But the 7 airbags on the ZX makes a strong case for safety, especially since I will be using it as a family car. No manual option on the ZX unfortunately.

Some queries, as I assume you would have done in-depth research before your purchase.

The key features that I will lose out in a Crysta vis-a-vis a Compass are the Wireless Apple Carplay, ventilated seats, electric tail door opener, 360 degree camera, a better digital information cluster and infotainment system and connected cars features. Now looking back, which of these do you feel were worthy additions?

Did you consider the resale value for the petrol Crysta? Any inputs?

Compass or Crysta, I am going to use it as a family car. No off-roading, no trails. From that perspective, which is better especially for the passengers? I am not the type of driver who will squeeze out every HP and N from the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks