Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2021, 13:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Hey. This is a nice write up. And you always write up a comparison in all your threads which makes it all the more interesting. You are a Toyota Fanboy. But then these mechanically sorted cars are a delight to own. Congratulations once again. Was a pleasure reading
Thank you. I would not call myself Toyota Fanboy yet, my profile picture is still a F150 Raptor and will continue to be so. I would say Toyota Fortuner fits the bill. Had there been a better option that suits my requirement, I would have happily bought one.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 22:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
As you move on with life, your priorities change, aspirations change and so does your wants. It’s human nature to look out for better options even after possessing the best, and we do manage to convince on what is better. Long story cut short - I wanted a new ride yet again.
I'm a hatchback guy and test drove Fortuner recently and I found the steering much lighter than my i10 it is fun to drive and bad roads and corners is just piece of cake for it! Those are few takeaways from my test drive.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2021 at 07:54. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks
Avinash97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 13:01   #18
BHPian

Hello PrideRed,

Congratulations on your new set of wheels! Fortuner and Endeavour are the 2 most capable and desirable SUV's on sale in India today. Great to see both of them in your garage. Keep munching miles with these trucks!

I will be in the market soon for a 7 seater SUV. Simple criteria. Should be Diesel, Should be Automatic and budget is around 20 Lakhs. So here are the top 3 contenders.

1. New gen XUV 500
2. Pre-owned Fortuner
3. Pre-owned Endeavour

I haven't started checking out the used car market yet. Just waiting for the New gen XUV 500 to launch before taking the the pre-owned route. May be another 3 months.

Question: Have you ever driven XUV? If yes, how would you compare that with Fortuner or Endeavour? I know one is Monocoque SUV and other two are body-on-frame. But just trying to get a comparison.

On a lighter note: Do let me know if you plan to sell the Endeavour. Would be glad to chat and take it forward. I visit Mangalore few times in a year and Puttur (KA 21 RTO) is not too far

Once again, Heartily congratulations on the Fortuner and wish you many miles of happiness with the beast

Cheers,
RAHS
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 14:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
Question: Have you ever driven XUV? If yes, how would you compare that with Fortuner or Endeavour? I know one is Monocoque SUV and other two are body-on-frame. But just trying to get a comparison.

On a lighter note: Do let me know if you plan to sell the Endeavour. Would be glad to chat and take it forward. I visit Mangalore few times in a year and Puttur (KA 21 RTO) is not too far

Once again, Heartily congratulations on the Fortuner and wish you many miles of happiness with the beast

Cheers,
RAHS
Thank you. I had driven 140PS XUV500 AT about 3-4 years ago and not after that. It did feel nimble and light. Fit and finish, lack of space, busy styling were not to my liking . I recall there was good amount of body roll too. The Demo car did have lot of rattles. Endeavour will stay for some more time . Probably will be replaced with an EV when it becomes mainstream.

Last edited by PrideRed : 29th March 2021 at 14:48.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I would not call myself Toyota Fanboy yet, my profile picture is still a F150 Raptor and will continue to be so. I would say Toyota Fortuner fits the bill. Had there been a better option that suits my requirement, I would have happily bought one.

Hi pride red. Hope you are doing well.
Read your comment. The F150 raptor is actually a nice vehicle to own. It is among the most selling vehicle in the USA.
Anyways I had two queries in my mind and since you have driven and owned a large no of vehicles, your inputs on this query would be nice.

How do rate or compare the new harrier? Although it seems pretty well sorted as compared to the xuv500 but still it would nice if you could relate some first hand experience.

Secondly, and this is just more of a curiosity than a query, since you love the F150 raptor so much, the closest one can get to that behemoth in India is an Isuzu Vmax. Why not? I mean why is it not in your garage. I am sure you must have given it a look somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Hi pride red. Hope you are doing well.
Read your comment. The F150 raptor is actually a nice vehicle to own. It is among the most selling vehicle in the USA.
Anyways I had two queries in my mind and since you have driven and owned a large no of vehicles, your inputs on this query would be nice.

How do rate or compare the new harrier? Although it seems pretty well sorted as compared to the xuv500 but still it would nice if you could relate some first hand experience.

Secondly, and this is just more of a curiosity than a query, since you love the F150 raptor so much, the closest one can get to that behemoth in India is an Isuzu Vmax. Why not? I mean why is it not in your garage. I am sure you must have given it a look somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't driven Harrier, so cannot really compare. Being a monocoque, I am sure it will have its positives and negatives. Also due to smaller foot print, it might be a bit easier to maneuver.
I did test drive DMAX multiple times and still in my radar. It is a lovely vehicle, let down big time by manufacturer. Their presence is miniscule, dealer are not very eager either. Definitely is a good replacement/Upgrade to Thar we have. Was hopeful about Ranger Raptor, but then pricing did not seem favorable.
Old 31st March 2021, 14:44   #22
cnu
BHPian

Congratulations PrideRed and wishing you many happy miles. Excellent writeup with detailed comparisons with the competitor is super helpful.

After a lot of deliberation, I am finally going ahead and replacing my 14 years young Innova (still going strong with no issues at all) with a Fortuner. Waiting for the delivery with fingers crossed, wish the price increase to be nominal. About the accessories, any idea if it is possible to retrofit the wireless charger from the Legender center console to the regular Fortuner ? I am aware that there is a separate wireless charger accessory from TKM, but this is for the rear passengers, I believe.
cnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:10   #23
BHPian

Hello PrideRed!!
Congratulations on your Fortuner!! Its an SUV that you can drive for a million miles & then gift it to your grandchild!

Since you own the Endeavour & Fortuner can you give us a hands on comparison of both w.r.t the 3rd row space & comfort?!

Thanks,
Powertrain
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Congratulations PrideRed and wishing you many happy miles. Excellent writeup with detailed comparisons with the competitor is super helpful.

After a lot of deliberation, I am finally going ahead and replacing my 14 years young Innova (still going strong with no issues at all) with a Fortuner. Waiting for the delivery with fingers crossed, wish the price increase to be nominal. About the accessories, any idea if it is possible to retrofit the wireless charger from the Legender center console to the regular Fortuner ? I am aware that there is a separate wireless charger accessory from TKM, but this is for the rear passengers, I believe.
Thank you and congratulations. The part should be available however it will be difficult to convince service folks to procure and install. There are a plenty of wireless chargers under 1K available in amazon, pick one of those. Only downside is you will have a dangling wire, you may be able to do concealed hardwiring, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello PrideRed!!
Congratulations on your Fortuner!! Its an SUV that you can drive for a million miles & then gift it to your grandchild!

Since you own the Endeavour & Fortuner can you give us a hands on comparison of both w.r.t the 3rd row space & comfort?!

Thanks,
Powertrain
I haven't sat in 3rd row of either cars while in motion, though my family members have. W.r.to 3rd row, Fortuner's one is easy to access, has little more legroom and reclining back rests is very helpful. W.r.to ride Endeavour has advantage at city speeds and bad roads, Fortuner is better on highway.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st March 2021 at 19:56. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 18:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner has clocked close to 4500KM. The car is a mile muncher and driving on a highway is super fun. Stiff suspension which is a downside at bad roads, is bliss on highway. Car begs to be driven faster, thanks to good insulation, Fortuner masks speed pretty well. Few other updates so far:

1. Got ad-blue warning. Warning indicated, ad-blue will last another 2500KM. Total tank capacity is 10L, which means a tankfull of ad-blue will last 6-7K KM. One needs to be careful while filling ad blue, as it's corrosive. A litre will cost around 100 bucks. I have seen ads in fuel station that DEF fluid is available, though Toyota has recommended against it.
2. Sport mode is super fun. Slot the gearbox into S6, and roads or no roads, fortuner will bring smile in your face.
3. Compared to Endeavour Fortuner feels nimble and engaging to drive. I find the steering of Endeavour better to hold as it has softer cushioning and better grip.
4. Headlights are good, along with fog lamp does the job pretty well. Given how good these are, one in Legender should be blinder
5. AC is super good. Even at temp setting at 25-26, cabin feels COLD, I believe UV cut glass and Ventilated seats have a major role too.
6. On my recent trip, got overall FE of 12.3. 70% 4 lane highway with traffic and remaining that roads. On 4 lane highway, MID was indicating 14.3KMPL.
7. Got an opportunity to park fortuner and Legender side by side. The Legender in flesh looks good, the car followed me for some distance and definitely has good presence. Even the red interiors does not as bad I thought it would be. The roof black out though looks cheap. Toyota should have gone with paint.

Fortuner Vs Legender(also baby cruiser ).
2021 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT | Ownership Review-img_20210403_150537.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 4th April 2021 at 18:42. Reason: Typo.
PrideRed is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 23:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Fortuner has clocked close to 4500KM. The car is a mile muncher and driving on a highway is super fun. Stiff suspension which is a downside at bad roads, is bliss on highway. Car begs to be driven faster, thanks to good insulation, Fortuner masks speed pretty well. Few other updates so far:

1. Got ad-blue warning. Warning indicated, ad-blue will last another 2500KM. Total tank capacity is 10L, which means a tankfull of ad-blue will last 6-7K KM. One needs to be careful while filling ad blue, as it's corrosive. A litre will cost around 100 bucks. I have seen ads in fuel station that DEF fluid is available, though Toyota has recommended against it.

Fortuner Vs Legender(also baby cruiser ).
Attachment 2140579
Is Rs100 per litre Toyota price? Any idea why outside Adblue is different and what's the price like outside Toyota?

They should have given atleast 15 lts tank so that the vehicle can be refilled during service instead of intermittent visits.
Old 5th April 2021, 09:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Is Rs100 per litre Toyota price? Any idea why outside Adblue is different and what's the price like outside Toyota?

They should have given atleast 15 lts tank so that the vehicle can be refilled during service instead of intermittent visits.
7lts costed me around 630. I had to pay 70 as filling charge, so total 700. Advisor told it may last longer than 7k too, depends on driving. 15Lts tank would have been nice. Toyota is not sure what DEF is sold outside, he suggested to use Toyota Ad Blue until there is clarity.

Last edited by PrideRed : 5th April 2021 at 09:18.
Old 5th April 2021, 10:28   #28
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Stiff suspension which is a downside at bad roads....
Does lowering the tyre pressure by a PSI or two improves the ride in anyway ?

Last edited by cnu : 5th April 2021 at 10:32. Reason: Typo
Old 5th April 2021, 11:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Does lowering the tyre pressure by a PSI or two improves the ride in anyway ?
Yes it does. At 25/26 there is noticeable improvement, but I am fine with 29 now. The passengers actually don't feel the road as much as the driver, the suspension is silent. The bad roads is felt at steering. In 2 months of owning and driving for 4.5K KM, my family actually hasn't complained about stiff ride yet .

Last edited by PrideRed : 5th April 2021 at 11:34.
Old 12th April 2021, 13:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Completed 5000KM in about 2.5 months time. Majority of KM's are clocked on highways. Sport mode is addictive and makes me want to drive more! Paddles are super useful, I use it often, helps to downshift aggressively. Eco mode should satisfy most, Sport will only elevate things to next level. While the Engine has lot of punch, it can be fuel efficient too. On my weekend drive to Bangalore, for onward journey I got 10.8KMPL for highway, which dropped to 10.3 after driving 100KM in city. This was expected as I drove mostly in Sport mode and included Shiradi ghat climb. For return journey I mostly used Eco mode and speeds of 100-110KM/Hr(Its really difficult to drive this beast slower), MID indicated 13.0 KMPL at the end of journey. At 4 lanes alone, FE was at 14.4KMPL, which to me is good for a 2.8L/200HP motor.
This time, around bad patches of road I drove at atleast with 20% more speed, and Fortuner demolishes these road with ease. Thanks to stiff suspension, occupants don't get tossed around despite speed. Overall if backseat comfort is important, I prefer Innova, and for front seats, I will pick Fortuner for fun driving, Endeavour for relaxed driving.
PrideRed is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed