Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT

Congratulations on the purchase to you and your Brother!

Thanks for a very detailed review plus comparison to the pre-facelift model.

The Nexon is a looker among CSUVs and it's value proposition is too good to ignore. The Koreans have a power packed product with all the gizmos but Nexon truly scores in 1 area where most other CSUVs fail ie S P A C E.

I have already taken the TD for a friend and he is still on the fence. He is contemplating the purchase as he has few financial commitments ahead.

Indeed, TATA has come a long way with the products and the market has accepted it. That's why we see so many Nexon, Tiago, Harriers on the road.
DieselAnna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:02   #32
BHPian

Congrats to your brother for the new vehicle.
And I must say a very well drafted review, especially the comparison with the older model.
Almoral is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 16:21   #33
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our First Tata | 15 days and 1500 km

15 days & 1500 km

Putting the car to work makes us grow fonder of it.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-load3.jpg

During the last week the car has completed its first long trip and has been put to the test of sorts especially with its luggage carrying capacity. That is 3 large bags, a trunk a couple of gym bags and a few cartons were loaded into the car. The 750 km long trip was done in two days with an overnight stop.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-squat2.jpg

With all the luggage loaded, the car showed signs of a controlled squat. The suspension however, never bottomed out during the entire trip through the northern country roads leading up to the Shivalik foothills. A trip that was thoroughly enjoyed by the occupants. Some thoughts on the vehicle are compiled below:

Engine:
Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-hot.jpg
-It runs hot. It is always on 3 bars on the temp. gauge. The 5th one is red.
-Good FE (18kmpl) till 2 bars on the temp. gauge and it drops on the 3rd bar (16 kmpl), then stabilizes.
-Takes about 2 hours to get to 3 bars.

Gearbox:
-Whine on downhill drives while using engine braking.
-Transmission noise when lugging in 6th gear and accelerating from below 60 km/h. Discovered while resuming cruise control.

Steering:
-A touch on the heavy side for the city
-Weighted feel on the highway
-Good feedback from the road
-Return to center is well sorted
-Minor vibes felt on the steering till about 25 km/h which vanish after that mark.

Eco mode:
-Pedal has to be floored till 90 km/h, after that the response becomes normal
-Sluggish overtaking on single lane highways when loaded
-Sluggish ascent on slopes.

AC:
-Excellent cooling.
-Heater when used with defogger directs heat to the windshield and the feet and not at the face (which maker one feel drowsy quickly).

Headlamps:
-Low beam throw is not sufficient nor is it of acceptable brightness.
-Follow me home can be activated by pulling the stalk once in some way before leaving the car. Or, from the key fob.
-Needs to be driven on high beam even on pitch dark streets for confidence sake.

Suspension:
-No bottoming-out with a fully loaded car with luggage.
-No noises from the suspension components either.
-Sharp bumps and expansion joints are audible but mostly because of the tyre noise rather than the suspension components.
-No rattles and squeaks yet.

Fuel Efficiency:
Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-fe.jpg
-15.4 km/l over 940 km 80% highway (a mix of Eco+ City)
-600 km range achievable on the highway.
-Reserve light + sound alert comes on when 100 km of range is left.

Audio Head Unit:
Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-sw.jpg
-Running on Software Version: R7.20 (Release Date - 14 December 2019)
-Listening to music is surprisingly enjoyable. You get to hear a few notes and instruments you never paid attention to before.
-The HU pairs with only one phone at a time.
-Android Auto (AA) experience has been really poor (though the phone connected did not have the AA app installed, but I doubt if that was the reason). 2-3 second lag in the the screen inputs. Location on screen hangs if the cell reception is lost (for instance when receiving a call) and requires re-connection. Un-intended detection of “Ok Google” from the conversation among passengers also happened a few times.

iRA:
-Setting a trip destination on iRA is of no use as the HU has no way of displaying the navigation route set on iRA on its screen.
-iRA doesn’t have an AA compatible app and hence cannot be mirrored on the HU’s screen.
-Trip statistics do not show FE achieved for the trip.
-As suspected, the mud-flaps are not sufficiently wide enough to stop the dirt being flung onto the rear quarter panels by the front wheels. Should think of getting some PPF coating on that area.

-Wiper jets provide a nice spray for the front. Coverage by the arms is good. Operation of the wipers is relatively quiet. The rear wiper jet is mounted on the arm itself and lets out a weak trickle.

-Seats are comfortable and hold you snugly. Good support from the seats negates the unsettling effect of body roll to an extent.

-Auto Lock @ >10kmph. Auto Un-lock when engine is turned off.

-Fuel filler door is operated manually by a lever on the floor. The only thing present on the floor.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-matf.jpg
-Carpet does not have tabs for securing the driver floor mat. The 3D mats eat up the space available in the foot well - you scrape the dead pedal during clutch actuation.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-matr.jpg
-Floor mats bought from the aftermarket supplier fit well with the Velcro at the bottom. however the raised edges need something similar to keep them in place neatly.

-Front passenger can clearly view the LCD on the instrument cluster. No issues with viewing angle. No issues of the display becoming dull in bright sunlight too as it is well placed in the binnacle.

-My brother felt that the armrest padding should have been better.

-USB and aux port placement is such that a dedicated cable kept connected at all times suits better.

-The sunroof is nice to have in the winters to fill the cabin with some light. Takes the gloom out of the cabin.

An unusual occurrence: You need to unlock the car and then open the boot by pressing the request sensor. If you are in the proximity of the boot when the car is locked and press the request sensor, the alarm goes off. Other option is to open the boot via the key fob. Am I missing something here?

Received an SMS for TCM update clearly mentioning the VIN of the car. What could it be? T=Transmission? Turbo?
Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-tcm.png
Attached Thumbnails
Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-load4.jpg  

Tgo is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 22:25   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
An unusual occurrence: You need to unlock the car and then open the boot by pressing the request sensor. If you are in the proximity of the boot when the car is locked and press the request sensor, the alarm goes off. Other option is to open the boot via the key fob. Am I missing something here?
First of all - that's quite a luggage load out that the Nexon has managed well. Great to get a glimpse of how much my car can haul if need be. (P.S. - Aren't those the IMA colours doing duty under the standard issue trunk? The distinct steel & blood red.)

As for the boot -
No - the request sensor on the boot works directly independent of the car's central lock. If you are standing besides the boot with the key-fob on you - the boot will unlock individually if you press the request sensor. The boot release button on the XZ+ keyfob is pretty much useless. And you don't need to unlock the whole car to unlock just the boot.

Only once in 1+ year has the alarm gone off when I opened the boot. That also - not when I unlocked using the request sensor. But I lost grip of the hatch when opening it & accidentally almost locked it & rapidly pulled it up again. That caused the alarm to get confused and started honking.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 11:12   #35
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

The TCM update refers to the head unit / navigation system upgrade. T refers to Telemetry I suppose. Will get it done at the 2000 km service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
P.S. - Aren't those the IMA colours doing duty under the standard issue trunk?
You know it, and you're right. The blanket was placed beneath the trunk to protect the corners from digging into the seat cover.

Quote:
Only once in 1+ year has the alarm gone off when I opened the boot. That also - not when I unlocked using the request sensor. But I lost grip of the hatch when opening it & accidentally almost locked it & rapidly pulled it up again. That caused the alarm to get confused and started honking.
Now that you've mentioned it, I'm sure he'll give it a try once again. Could have been an oversight of some sort. Maybe, a door left open somewhere...
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:38   #36
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our first TATA | Nexon XZ+(O) | Booking and Pre-Delivery Period

Quote:
Anti-Skid Mats - P/N ************ - INR ***/-
So these are called , Dash Mats - P/N 885752100694 - INR 1,096/-

The car is parked for most of these days. Sis-in-law is getting familiar with the controls and has started brushing up her driving skills in the mean time.

Next update should be after the 2,000 km check-up.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:34   #37
BHPian

Nicely written review. Helped me get a comprehensive idea on the facelift as I am contemplating one myself
The only thing which is putting me off is the digital console. Why would TATA put such a thing in there?! Did you TD the petrol AMT by any chance? If yes, any particular observation?
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 07:37   #38
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
Nicely written review. Helped me get a comprehensive idea on the facelift as I am contemplating one myself
The only thing which is putting me off is the digital console. Why would TATA put such a thing in there?! Did you TD the petrol AMT by any chance? If yes, any particular observation?
Glad that this could be of help to you.

We did not TD the petrol AMT. At that time, we felt that owners were having problems with the AMT, it would have increased the maintenance cost due to premature clutch failure, increased risk of additional components failing and ultimately the car was never going to be stationed in a crowded City.
Old 6th January 2021, 09:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
At that time, we felt that owners were having problems with the AMT, it would have increased the maintenance cost due to premature clutch failure, increased risk of additional components failing and ultimately the car was never going to be stationed in a crowded City.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do we have a lot of AMT failures in the Nexon?
Old 6th January 2021, 10:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Glad that this could be of help to you.

We did not TD the petrol AMT. At that time, we felt that owners were having problems with the AMT, it would have increased the maintenance cost due to premature clutch failure, increased risk of additional components failing and ultimately the car was never going to be stationed in a crowded City.
Quote:
Nil AMT issues on the Nexon, petrol or diesel, ghost stories maybe.

In the Nexon it's the ZF AMT unit for the 6Speed GB.

Maruti AMT have issues, dedicated threads on the forum.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Nil AMT issues on the Nexon, petrol or diesel, ghost stories maybe.

In the Nexon it's the ZF AMT unit for the 6Speed GB.

Maruti AMT have issues, dedicated threads on the forum.
I remember that there were a few Nexon AMT issues on this forum itself. One member who had it happen to him multiple times.
Old 6th January 2021, 10:45   #42
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Listening to an amalgam of all the issues reported on various cars equipped with AMTs (Duster, Marutis, TUV, XUV3OO etc.) keeps me away from them. Tata has had issues with AMT malfunction coming up due to overheating. No catastrophic failures reported as such. However while booking and discussing AMC and warranty packages the SA did say that AMC would be suitable for AMTs which according to him have a higher maintenance cost.

You could post a query on the Official Review thread. People suggest a little change of driving style - shifting to Neutral when you come to a stop - keeps the issue at bay.
Old 6th January 2021, 21:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Tata has had issues with AMT malfunction coming up due to overheating. No catastrophic failures reported as such. However while booking and discussing AMC and warranty packages the SA did say that AMC would be suitable for AMTs which according to him have a higher maintenance cost.

You could post a query on the Official Review thread. People suggest a little change of driving style - shifting to Neutral when you come to a stop - keeps the issue at bay.
Thanks. In the AMT it will try to slip the clutch when in D and stationary, so shifting to N makes sense. Even on my Vento 1.6 which has a TC, I shift to N when stopping for more than 5 seconds. So this should be okay. It is good to hear that catastrophic failures have not been reported. But I do intend to take it to the hills. So let me put up a query on the official review thread on reported AMT issues on hills.
GhostRider28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:21   #44
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT - 2,000 km Check-up.

The 2,000 km Check-up.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-ehqp4207.jpg
2,000 km brought about the Nexon's first visit to the ASC. The workshop it visited is in the process of being set-up and did not have the necessary tools or staff to carry out the TCM update. This is after we had informed them of the visit well in advance.

Apart from that it was a quick, inspection on the lift, followed by a hurried wash and cleaning of the interiors (strictly satisfactory ). Washed and cleaned the interiors as they should have been done, later last week.

Got a follow-up call from the ASC after the visit to inform us that the TCM update has arrived.

As expected, the car sees little running these days. 80-100 km a week is the average. Have asked my brother to be mindful of the idling rule.

The anti-stall feature of the engine keeps propelling the car 1st, 2nd, 3rd and to some extent in 4th gear too if you're trying it out. It otherwise is not very violent, keeps working subtly.

The FE figures for now: City: 11-13 km/L | Highway: 13-15 km/L which meet the expectations.
Old 9th March 2021, 11:29   #45
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT - Minor Shunt

-My parents visited my brother and the car got some highway time. Upon his return, after driving the Nexon for two days, my dad exclaimed that the Duster sounds like a tractor in comparison.
New car ownership comes with its fair share of heart breaking mishaps and that too in the early days. A reminder here, to go for the full coverage insurance with best possible add-ons to cover everything necessary.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-whatsapp-image-20210130-19.34.54.jpeg

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-whatsapp-image-20210130-19.47.32.jpeg

The car has a minor shunt which affected the front and rear. The car was operable and there weren't any injuries to the offending parties. In essence, two panels were replaced which was a 10 day job. Good thing that the paint issued to the body shops are pre mixed these days. Have never had any mismatch issue in all of the last 10 years across various cars. Insurance claim through Oriental was without hiccups. We were covered and had to pay the nominal claim filing fee only.

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-whatsapp-image-20210211-18.00.48-1.jpeg

Our First Tata | Nexon XZ+(O) | BS6 Petrol MT-whatsapp-image-20210211-18.00.48.jpeg
-The TCM was also updated and no noticeable changes have been reported in the infotainment system or the MID.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks