Thar 1 auction - the top BID is now at 75 lakhs

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-smartselect_20200924141835_chrome.jpg

https://auction.carandbike.com/home/auction
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:20   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

This Thar is strictly for very few set of people who mainly want this car for off-roading. All family people will stay away from this car. It's a shame on Mahindra that they couldn't make it proper 4-5 seater car. From the review its evident that it's still not to a level where people want to see it. People need to compromise on lot many things after paying more than a million bucks is not good. Car looks good but that doesn't mean people will ignore all other things.

I really think that Mahindra should launch proper 4 door, longer Thar which makes more sense than this one for India. Hope Mahindra guy's are listening.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:47   #33
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As good as it looks, I wont buy one primarily because its a mooched off design.
I was in the same boat as you here but Jeep hasn't mounted any legal challenge. So either there has been some backroom agreement between the companies or Jeep simply doesn't care enough. Either way, the car has grown on me and now that Jeep has no problem, I think I'd consider this when I'm buying my next car
Old 24th September 2020, 14:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
This Thar is strictly for very few set of people who mainly want this car for off-roading. All family people will stay away from this car. It's a shame on Mahindra that they couldn't make it proper 4-5 seater car. From the review its evident that it's still not to a level where people want to see it. People need to compromise on lot many things after paying more than a million bucks is not good. Car looks good but that doesn't mean people will ignore all other things.

I really think that Mahindra should launch proper 4 door, longer Thar which makes more sense than this one for India. Hope Mahindra guy's are listening.
I don't agree with you here. Why M&M should feel shame for bringing an updated UV which serves "Certain purpose"?

I for one, don't compare Thar with other vehicles. It is a niche vehicle. We own a Thar purely to travel to innermost part of our village and so far it serves that purpose very well. For all other soft-roading purpose we take out our XUV or even Xylo for that matter. Combining pure Off-roading vehicle and urban commuter, that is not going to be cheap.

We can only wish someone will bring a poor-man's LR/RR so we can have best of both worlds for a decent budget. But I'm sure even M&M can't do it within <20L price tag.

Just appreciate what they did right whereas the product itself was never intended to be mass market seller.

Last edited by xcentrk : 24th September 2020 at 14:49.
xcentrk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:03   #35
BHPian

@GTO Thanks for the First Drive review, it was quite a lot than First drive!

The Thar surely has improved by leaps and bounds as evident by your experience and comments.

Although the following comments are very important for a person like me who will be having the vehicle as primary drive:
1. Ingress to the rear seat is impossible for the elderly makes it an impractical choice
2. Boot space is sad, comparable to a small hatchback
3. Ride quality is sad, whether in the city or on the highway
4. Poor NVH at legal highway speeds

And I can only think of two things, one is look elsewhere or the second is to hope that in coming times the future will allow me to buy one as my second car
Old 24th September 2020, 15:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
And I can only think of two things, one is look elsewhere or the second is to hope that in coming times the future will allow me to buy one as my second car
As @GTO rightly said, Thar is not meant to be primary vehicle. Always a 2nd or 3rd car. But trust me, it will be lot of fun driving Thar and see it in action!
Old 24th September 2020, 15:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

How comfortable is the back seat drive in new Thar

Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic review GTO! After seeing this review I am feeling the itch to go back and book one. The interiors are looking so good and really happy that they have gone back to black instead of the beige in the 2016 Thar.
One question, regarding the ride quality, how would you rate it compared to the previous generation Thar?
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:29   #39
BHPian

Why is the ride quality so bumpy? I understand that now the Thar comes with coil springs on a rigid axle at the rear. Shouldn't it be softer than the leaf springs on the current Thar?
Old 24th September 2020, 15:51   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the quick pointers GTO.

I've been smitten by the Thar in its new avatar, since I first laid eyes on it. The design is so purposeful and the paint shades just elevate it so well.

The target audience for the Thar 2020 is a particular kind of customer who was very particular about certain things he found missing in the old gen Thar. And for him, it hits the bulls eye. The 2 door version, alienates the Thar to the bulk of us looking for a single-car-do -all. But thats ok, because we are not that particular person. The 4 door may make a bit more friends but then it would be pushing its luck against more similarly priced practical offerings from the competition.

Bottom line, I like the Thar enough to wait for the 4 door.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Thar 1 auction - the top BID is now at 75 lakhs

Attachment 2058666

https://auction.carandbike.com/home/auction
A brilliant move by M&M to see how much money can be shelled out - they would be having multiple bidders.

Even an extremely small percentage in the first few bidders is enough for them to analyse how much the Thar can command as an OTR price.

It's a far fetched thought but not totally wrong

PS - Cant wait to own this. Paid my deposit 3 weeks ago and am promised a car in the first batch to arrive whenever that is.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar HerDrive in association with Autocar India, 25 women gets to drive the new Thar on September 27.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-smartselect_20200924181347_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/Mahindra_Thar/st...919081478?s=19

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th September 2020 at 18:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 18:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My experience with Jeeps is that, it's usually the "other vehicle" that ends up with a fender bender. My cousin rammed the front of my Classic into a Sumo, and a tempo ran into the back of my Jeep another time. You'd never know looking at it.

It's excellent in the city & terrible above 110 kmph on the highway.
Can't wait to see the new Thar parked next to your Classic.

I want one, and I eventually would get one.

I am just holding on to keep an eye on the initial ownership reports, to highlight niggles if any. Having burnt my hands with the paint / rusting problem with my 2015 Thar CRDe 4x4, I am going to take this relationship with the new Thar forward, but slowly.

When time permits, I suggest you do visit the Mahindra off-road training academy to play around with this new one. You will enjoy it. I did too.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:17   #44
BANNED

Man! This review is tempting even sedan guys like me. Will wait for 2022 and see if I will still have same kind of pull. Waiting for the diesel automatic review. Mahindra has got a sure shot winner, it may even be a block buster with sales of 2000-3000 a month. The waiting period is going to be insane I feel. Hope Mahindra stop copying Wrangler from next generation, you guys certainly can make a different design, yet do justice to the legacy.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:39   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I don't agree with you here. Why M&M should feel shame for bringing an updated UV which serves "Certain purpose"?
If they are giving 4-5 seater car, better make sure its proper 4-5 seater. This is more like 2 seater car with 2 extra seats just to attract customers. Better sell it as a 2 seater only then. Access to those seats is very tough, nightmare for elderly people. If after so much R&D, they can't give us proper seating is not at all good for me and customers. This is just my opinion, others don't have to agree to it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed