Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 14:23   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Normal life resumes for the XL6: After remaining mostly idle and barely covering 200 km in past couple of months due to illness and subsequent recovery phase, I took the car out today and did a round trip of ~270 km. Had reset the mileage figures before embarking on the journey since it was showing 13.9kmpl due to extended periods of idling in the parking.

Also, crossed 11k on the odo. This 1000 km took more than 2 months to complete. As usual, there is nothing to report and the ride is as fuss free as ever!

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210604_141511.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 15:52   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Battery terminal corrosion is a common thing over the years of a car’s life. This spray/coating acts as an inhibitor of battery terminal corrosion.

Recently, my Punto battery terminal has become like this. Pic source: Google as my car is lying at home.

Attachment 2160720
Have you over filled the distilled water by chance? That usually causes this kind of residue buildup due to corrosion.
Old 12th June 2021, 21:39   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210612_163802.jpg

A word on XL6's wipers: In all these years of owning cars from MSIL stable, none of the cars' first set of wipers lasted for more than 6 months, some failed in as less as 3 months! I was mentally prepared to upgrade to a set of frameless/hybrid blades as soon as situation demands. But the current pair is as good as new and has surprisingly coped up with my usage. The car is almost 11 months old now, and I was amazed at the silent clean sweeps they still provide.

I've been told the pair costs almost 900 rupees, that's steep for a pair of OEM blades (by Maruti standards), but it seems they have improved the quality to go with increased price tag.

Signing off with a pic of my favorite bit of any morning drive-Tea/Coffee:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210610_065512.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:22   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Attention all 2nd Gen Ertiga and XL6 owners: There is a recall, based on complaint, for changing rear axle. This isn't a mass recall, but only for those who have issues.

Symptoms: It isn't a mass recall, it's for those customers who face uneven wear issues on rear tyre. I know some owners who have reported this. For their case, Maruti has provided a service circular to all dealers dated 6th January 2021. There is a chassis number cutoff provided, all cars manufactured before LK(October 2020). I don't remember the exact VIN, you can get those details by getting in touch with your Workshop Manager(WM). My XL6's VIN has LF(June 2020 make) so I am eligible.

What the circular says: If there is complain of uneven tyre wear, if the car falls in the given VIN Range, they have to confirm first which part number the axle carries. If it's 46500M72R10, it has to be replaced with 46500M72R11(updated part). Again, do note that this isn't a mass recall, decision has to be taken only if your car has symptoms.

How to find the part number: They lifted my car up, and the axle carries a sticker towards the front face on the right side with barcode and last few bits. In my case it was 72R10. So it was the axle which may be faulty.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210616_125116.jpg

What was done in my case: Since I rotate the wheels every 5,000 km myself, there was NO uneven wear in my case on any tyre. The WM advised not to change the axle blindly, but to observe for 10,000 kms and take a call accordingly.

I was in and out of workshop within 15 minutes:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210616_124817.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210616_124945.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210616_125529.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 16th June 2021 at 18:44. Reason: Typo
Leoshashi is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 22:02   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Attention all 2nd Gen Ertiga and XL6 owners: There is a recall, based on complaint, for changing rear axle. This isn't a mass recall, but only for those who have issues.
Did you get a call for this? Mine is a Oct-19 manufactured model so might come under this but problem is its has only run 8.5K with tyre rotation done at 3rd service so its too early to determine any uneven tyre wear issue
Old 17th June 2021, 22:09   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornNotOkPlease View Post
Did you get a call for this?
No, but I came to know that there is a service circular regarding this. When I called my WM, he thought I have some issue and asked me to visit them.

No one will get calls for this. It's to be replaced only when someone reports the issue. As of now there are only a handful of cases and majority of the owners have no issue at all.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 11:02   #502
BHPian

Quote:
I believe Maruti has done this 'replacement only if someone complains' before too. A few years back, we noticed that our car (2013 Swift Dzire) made a faint clunking during cornering. When my father took the car to Maruti's workshop they quickly diagnosed the issue as a bad rear axle without many checks or properly replicating the sound. They also had the rear axle in stock. Our car was out of warranty and my father did not know that there is something like a goodwill warranty (the SA admitted that it was a manufacturing defect). So it set us back by 12,000. The work was completed in half a day and the problem was solved.
YD14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 13:43   #503
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Leoshashi for this information. My Ertiga is 03/2019 manufactured so looks like she is eligible for a check. It will be difficult to tell if there was uneven wear for me as I had to replace one rear wheel with a spare due to a puncture.

On a different note, I always hear a strong 'tak' sound from the somewhere in the middle or rear when I get up from the seat or sit down, don't know if it is from the switch placed under the seat for airbag.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 14:26   #504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

On a different note, I always hear a strong 'tak' sound from the somewhere in the middle or rear when I get up from the seat or sit down, don't know if it is from the switch placed under the seat for airbag.
I may be wrong about this but I don't think there is a switch per se in the seat (not one which could make a loud "tak" sound anyways). There is pressure sensor in the form of a wire mesh which detects if an object of appropriate weight is occupying the seat.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:35   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Thanks Leoshashi for this information. My Ertiga is 03/2019 manufactured so looks like she is eligible for a check. It will be difficult to tell if there was uneven wear for me as I had to replace one rear wheel with a spare due to a puncture.

Yes your car is eligible.

What kind of sound is that "tak", is it metallic? The Switch won't make any sound. In our S Cross, we had issue of driver seat back developing a slight play and that used to make sounds. The bush is a thin flimsy plastic which gets cut against sharp metal of seat frame. To arrest that, we used a plastic round bush from Omni's gear lever mechanism, and shaved it a bit to fit our purpose. I was told this is a common issue in Marutis as they age, but weirdly in our case the bush got damaged pretty soon as the seat frame was very crudely finished there. We also filed the edges to make it a bit smoother for bush to sit.

Also the seat used to make an irritating squeaking sound which was traced to a loose bolt. Otherwise there shouldn't be any sound from seats when you get in and out.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 13:50   #506
BHPian

Very nice car Shashi. Can you please check if a feature like this is available in XL6? If not, till what angle can the front seats be reclined? Thanks in advance.
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-crysta-08.jpg

Last edited by Aakash118 : 26th June 2021 at 13:50. Reason: Wanted to add link
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 14:03   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Very nice car Shashi. Can you please check if a feature like this is available in XL6? If not, till what angle can the front seats be reclined? Thanks in advance.
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-crysta-08.jpg
Do refer to the first page, have posted two pics of that arrangement. Dad also tried it on a long drive and found it an awesome place to rest, there is a mild hump near your knee area but surprisingly it provides a nice support to your lower leg rather than proving to be a nuisance.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 18:38   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Good friend and DBHPian Dr. Naren recommended newly launched XP95 fuel by IOCL. Coming from him, I had no issue in trying it out. After all he is the resident expert in extracting the most out of engines.

Waited for the tank to be as empty as I could dare. This XP95 is priced at a premium of 3-4 rupees over the regular fuel. Have reset the FE and trip meters on the MID. In the initial 30 km, I couldn't find any changes. Doc says I should wait for at least 200 km for ECM to adapt and engine to show any changes. Since price difference is so less, I'll try this for 2 tankfuls and report.

Some pics:

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210625_103051.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210625_103250.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210625_103631.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210625_112334.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 20:07   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Do refer to the first page, have posted two pics of that arrangement.
Thanks for the quick reply. It’s really a nice arrangement for resting over long journeys.
Aakash118 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 20:56   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes your car is eligible.

What kind of sound is that "tak", is it metallic?

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks LeoShashi!
I studied it more and noticed the sound comes from below the body, not from inside or the seats, as if something was in tension and it got released the moment weight was lifted. And it is something that happens always.

Anyway, I got my car serviced from my dealer last week and as expected, SA was completely clueless about this recall and said he will get back to me on this. They were not able to fix the 'kat' sound coming from front wheel when going over small bumps at lower speeds as well (link (Maruti Ertiga : Official Review)). So, the saga of follow-ups and taking the car back to service station multiple times continues. I will have a look at it personally next time.

While we are at it, how do you confirm if they really replaced the coolant and brake oil as mentioned in the job card? I can see the brake caliper pin was greased and some oil marks near the drain bolt and a new filter which shows they did do these things, but have have no surety on coolant and brake oil replacement. They must have bleeded the brake lines after draining brake oil so I was expecting some change in behavior of brakes (better bite? I felt this in other cars we've owned) but its exactly the same.

Last edited by NiInJa : 27th June 2021 at 21:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks