Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 00:00   #106
BHPian

Re: My experience with cheap pre-owned cars

Few mods, some maintenance and a heartbreak (continued):

2) Fixing some issues:

2(a) Brake overhaul.

Front brake discs were a bit worn out in my car (also had gotten a bit hard), so decided to get them replaced. Went with aftermarket brake pads, more specifically Roulunds brakepads. I am using them in our Ecosport & quite happy with them. Decided to get the rear drums replaced as well, here also went with aftermarket brake shoe from Motherson. The brake replacement was done without much fuss, though the rear drums did need some adjustment. The brake bite has improved a bit (after bedding in the brakes), though even before replacement the brakes were spot on.

Brake pads:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-brake-pads.jpg

Brake shoe:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-brake-shoes.jpg

Brake overhauling in progress:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-brake-overhauling-progress.jpg

2(b) New RHS headlight.

When I got the car in 2018, both the headlights were a bit yellow. Tried DIY headlight restoration, made things worse. I got the LHS headlight (which was worse of) replaced last year, ever since I was itching to get the RHS replaced as well . Got a MGP unit, it currently costs around 2.5k (was few bucks cheaper last year). Now both HLs are new, which also means light output is great, till light comes from the opposite side. The windshield has tons of scratches (expected as it's from 2006), so it's really bad when light falls from the opposite side. Maybe will get that replaced as well going forward.

New parts at the rear:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-parts-back.jpg

New HL in place:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-hl.jpg

2(c) New engine mounts & a new idler pulley

There was nothing wrong as such with the engine mounts, except for slight vibration at idle (which went away after the mounts were replaced) & a slight jerk while lifting off/giving gas (this didn't go though, more on it later). Swift P gets 3 mountings (I suppose this is how it's with most cars), total cost was around 2k. Two of the outgoing mounts had cracks in them, one was in good condition. Still I suppose it was a good decision to replace them considering the age of the car.

Outgoing engine mounts:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-outgoing-mounting-1.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-outgoing-mounting-2.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-outgoing-mounting-3.jpg

Work in progress:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-work-progress.jpg

Regarding the idler pulley, it was making a slight noise. Replacement of the idler pulley took care of that noise. Apparently the bearing inside the pulley went bad.

Old idler pulley:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-old-idler-pulley.jpg

New idler pulley:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-idler-pulley.jpg

2(d) New Ignition coil & spark plugs

The spark plugs were due for replacement, went with NGK G power spark plugs on Shashi's recommendation. G power spark plugs are supposedly slightly better than the normal ones, yet doesn't cost as much as the Iridium ones (these of-course are superior). As for replacing the Ignition coils, I got them replaced as part of preventive maintenance. The HT cables (this gen Swift uses two ignition coils & two HT cable setup) were already replaced last year (also as preventive maintenance). The outgoing spark plugs were in bad shape, good that I got them replaced. The Ignition coils looked in good condition physically (of course this doesn't tell whether they are in good health). So any difference post changing these? That would be a big yes from my side, car revvs more eagerly, low end is sightly better. These could be physiological as well, though FE numbers don't lie. I am easily getting 1-1.5kmpl more than before on highways (tankful to tankful calculations).

Outgoing worn out spark plugs:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-outgoing-spark-plugs.jpg

New spark plugs:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-spark-plugs-1.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-spark-plugs-2.jpg

New ignition coil:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-ignitor-2.jpg:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-ignitor-3.jpg

Ignition coil fitting in progress (was a DIY this one):

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-ignition-coil-fitting-progres.jpg

New ignition coil in place:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-ignitor-place.jpg

New vs Old ignition coils (note the change in design):

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-vs-old-ignitors-1.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-new-vs-old-ignitors-2.jpg

2(e) Fixing the oil leak from DLI sensor case & finding that A pedal itself can go bad.

When replacing the mounts, I noticed a minor oil leak from the right side of the engine. It was leaking (getting wet would be more apt) from the area where the Distributor is fixed on G10B Zen & G13B Esteem (these two had a distributor based ignition system). Now we all now that Zen & Esteem is famous for having a minor oil leak from the distributor area. Now G13B Swift doesn't have a distributor, yet it was leaking oil from that area. G series be like, distributor or no, I will leak oil from that area . Thankfully the fix is cheaper in the Swift, only the DLI case O-ring needs replacement (which costs Rs. 5). Whereas for Zen & Esteem, fixing this leak means a new distributor (the O ring isn't sold separately here). Anyways procured that O ring, got it replaced.

Closeup of the oil leak:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-oil-leak-1.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-oil-leak-2.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-oil-leak-3.jpg

Ever since I got this car, I have complained of a sticky A pedal. Back in 2018, I had to get the Throttle body assembly & accelerator cable replaced (mainly with regards to this issue), this solved the issued (almost). The A pedal movement was smooth enough, though it wasn't 100% smooth. Recently I moved to Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh, now Itanagar is a hilly place. Careful throttle modulation is required, the stickiness raised its ugly head here. Also since the issue of jerkiness when lifting off/giving gas didn't go after changing the engine mounts (& also the spark plugs, ignition system), I was certain that issue was also due to the stickiness.

Basically the starting point of the A pedal has more resistance, if one's not careful, revvs won't rise even a bit & you will stall the engine. Give it a bit more force (to overcome the resistance), revs will rise till 2-3k RPM. After that initial starting point of A pedal which is sticky/has more resistance, the rest of the way is smooth. Since I had already replaced the throttle body assembly, accelerator cable, I was confused how it can be like this, there was nothing else left to be replaced (or was there).

The faulty A pedal:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-pedal.jpg

Then it struck to me that the A pedal itself might be faulty, of course this is quite rare. Even my mechanic was adamant that this can't go bad, I told him to remove it & check. We checked the A pedal with our hand, there was a noticeable resistance/stickiness at the starting point of the pedal movement. So, the issue was somewhere in the A pedal. I went to the nearest MGP store to get a new pedal assembly, Maruti sells it part by part rather than a complete assembly. Sadly as luck would have it, only the spring was available in Guwahati. Got that replaced, didn't help. Have ordered the rest of the parts from Boodmo, as of now waiting for them to arrive. I still can't fathom that the actual A pedal assembly went bad. Our 99 Omni still has the stock A pedal assembly, it is butter smooth. Anyways will replace it & report the changes here.

Also fixed the rear foglight (was not working previously):

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-rear-foglight-fixed.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 14th December 2021 at 00:23.
chiranjitp is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 17:08   #107
BHPian

Amazing mod Chiranjth! Such useful mods really make us keep the car for a longer time.

With Maruti cars, the clock spring connector has to be replaced in case if it's a stock steering without buttons. Could you share a video of how the buttons are functioning as well.

I think, the next would be cruise control in your swift
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:12   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
[u]Few mods, some maintenance and a heartbreak (continued):

Also fixed the rear foglight (was not working previously):
Woah! Love your upgrades, but at the same time, the frequency of parts failing on this car and needing replacement is scary. Hope you are not keeping a tab of the expenses.

The car is looking fresh with those new pair of headlights. Hope no more failures for this Swift, fingers crossed!

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th December 2021 at 18:13.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:33   #109
BHPian

3) Giving the Swift some extra illumination, a wing & then finally a heartbreak.

3(a) Illuminated headlight leveler switch upgrade.

Gen 1 Swift got a headlight leveler switch which was not backlit, no big deal but since the Ritz got an illuminated headlight leveler switch, I decided to put one in my Swift as well. Both switches look identical, the Ritz switch has two additional pins for illumination (one +ve, one -ve). This is a very small addition, but an addition nonetheless. Many other cars like the Celerio, SX4, Ertiga, Swift gen2 etc all got a similar illuminated headlight leveler switch.

Both switches side by side:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-both-headlight-leveler-switch-side-side.jpg

Day time:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-day-time.jpg

At night:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-night.jpg

3(b) Getting the MGA Spoiler.

Back when gen 1 Swift was on sale, it had a long list of MGAs (Maruti genuine accessories). Among them was one sexy looking spoiler (quite different from what MGA gives now). Though this part is almost impossible to find now. Then one day DBhpian & close friend Leoshashi called me & told me that he has found an old stock of the spoiler & will be shipping it to me . Big thanks to you, without you I wouldn't have ever got hold of the spoiler. This spoiler was a SGP (Suzuki genuine part), hence I suppose it looks unlike other MGA spoilers.

Spoiler before fitting:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-spoiler-before-fitting-3.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-spoiler-before-fitting-2.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-spoiler-before-fitting-1.jpg

Next decision was regarding which colour to paint the spoiler, glossy black or body colour were the options. Finally decided to go with stock colour, after considering what my stock colour was. Like all MGA spoilers, this needed drilling (as oppose to clamp type fitting in some aftermarket spoilers). I was initially hesitant to drill a hole in my car, but there was no other option. Shashi also assured me that there was nothing to be worried about the process.

Drilling the hole:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-drilling-hole.jpg

Hole done:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-hole-1.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-hole-2.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-hole.jpg

Letting the paint dry:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-letting-dry.jpg

So, my painter took measurements, drilled a hole, did a trial fitting of the spoiler. Regarding rust protection, we applied primer on fresh metal. The spoiler was painted, final fitting done. Of course it fitted perfectly as this was a MGA spoiler after-all. Now time for some photos. Life was good at this point, then disaster struck the next day.

Final look:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_093141.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_093149.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_093155.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_093219.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_093233.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_104649.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_104701.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211207_104708.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20211208_070441.jpg

3(c) The heartbreak day

Next day I was on the highway, the car was behaving normally. Then after around 100-150km this happened. I have made a video of the issue, have a look:

Basically the steering rack is gone & that thing costs 32k for this gen Swift. When I got the car in 2018 I took her to MASS, they pointed out that the steering rack was worn out & needed replacement. I didn't get it done back then (of course because of the cost), the steering was making a bearable rattle. Other issues (steering rack related) included weak return from one side (compared to the other side), slight play at the centre. I of course was living with all these issues for the last 22k km, I was told by many mechanics that I could continue driving like this.

Until this happened, the rattle is unbearable now, I am scared if the steering rack will come out on the move (though I have been told by experts that no such thing will happen). This gen Swift (& Ritz) is notorious for steering rack going bad, in these models the EPS motor is mounted on the rack (as opposed to the steering column on most models). These means that the rack is unnecessarily heavy, which makes it go bad soon. Of course this is the reason for the high cost, as the EPS motor comes together with the steering rack.

What about doing any repair? This is what they do to fix the rattle, they replace the plunger & some bushes. I did get this done last year, didn't help a bit. The mechanic who did the work told me that the teeth of the rack was itself worn out. Now, there's no option but to get it replaced. Of course I can buy a new one for 32k, or else there's this option of getting an used rack (in good condition) from a accidental/scrap Swift. I am looking (more like trying) for the second option, of course the used rack has to come from a trusted source or else it will be back to square one. Let's see what the future holds, will update it here.

Steering rack part number & price:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-rack-price.jpeg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 14th December 2021 at 19:01.
chiranjitp is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:46   #110
BHPian

Take it a competent local mechanic, they shall replace the bush, and fabricate a new bush. Costs under 2k and that will fix the noise that you are hearing.

How did you connect the Ritz headlight level switch with Swift harness? What king of work is required?

Last edited by Aditya : 15th December 2021 at 05:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged
~Zombie~ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 22:09   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Let's see what the future holds, will update it here.
That's insane. While I was aware of the beautiful spoiler installation, steering rack failure came across as a rude shock. That's one of the worst failures to have on this generation of cars since you rightly said, they are expensive due to EPS being mounted on the rack.

Be very careful while dealing with used spares, I've only wasted money with them. For steering rack, the only parts you'll be getting in scrap will be from scrapped old cars or total loss accidental ones. In both cases steering rack will not be in a great shape. Even in Sumit's old Ritz, the steering rack had developed some issue around 60k mark.

I hate to say this, but take a call practically. If you feel rest of the car is good mechanically, which I think it should be since you've fixed almost every flaw it had without any jugaad, it makes sense to go for new spare and have a peaceful ownership. If you plan to sell it soon or don't have confidence, then look at other options.
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 10:21   #112
BHPian

Quote:
======
Steering rack part number & price:

Attachment 2245212
Hi Sir,

Regarding the Steering rack price, did you check with MASS or are you just relying on the prices shown on boodmo?

Why I ask is because, I myself faced the same issue with my vento's FR armrest. Keeping the long story short;

1. Ordered the part on boodmo @ ~ Rs. 5.8k

2. Boodmo kept on delaying the order for around a month sighting that the part is not in stock and seller is procuring it.

3. It turns out that, they can't fulfil my order since, they[the seller] didn't have the part in stock [Question is, why did you even accept the order in first place?] and now since they had to import the part from overseas the price went sky high to Rs. 75k [No, there is no decimal mistake ]

4. When I confirmed again at the VWASS, they quoted me the much legit price of Rs. 6k and I needed to pay in advance as it'll be specially ordered since, they don't make it any more [I wonder what they are fitting in the current Polo/Vento/Rapid ]

Attaching some images - They speak for themselves.

Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-initial-prices.jpg  

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-current-price.png  

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th December 2021 at 10:29. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
pgoyal1996 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 22:14   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Amazing mod Chiranjth! Such useful mods really make us keep the car for a longer time.

With Maruti cars, the clock spring connector has to be replaced in case if it's a stock steering without buttons. Could you share a video of how the buttons are functioning as well.
Thanks jithin23, glad you liked the mod. Regarding cruise control, I doubt it will be possible in the Swift. Though might be possible in the Ecosport

Here's a video of the SWC in action:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zombie~ View Post
Take it a competent local mechanic, they shall replace the bush, and fabricate a new bush. Costs under 2k and that will fix the noise that you are hearing.

How did you connect the Ritz headlight level switch with Swift harness? What king of work is required?
I already tried fitting new aftermarket bushes, didn't help a bit or maybe my mechanic was incompetent.

The Ritz headlight leveler switch fits directly into the Swift stock harness/coupler. Only has two extra pins, to which I connected two extra wires separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
That's insane. While I was aware of the beautiful spoiler installation, steering rack failure came across as a rude shock. That's one of the worst failures to have on this generation of cars since you rightly said, they are expensive due to EPS being mounted on the rack.

I hate to say this, but take a call practically. If you feel rest of the car is good mechanically, which I think it should be since you've fixed almost every flaw it had without any jugaad, it makes sense to go for new spare and have a peaceful ownership. If you plan to sell it soon or don't have confidence, then look at other options.
Thank you Shashi for your kind words. Yes, I will have to take a strong call regarding the future of the car. Anyways I will get the issue fixed, maybe take a deep breath & get a new rack. It's not that I can't afford the rack, it's more to do with the age of the car & the subsequent cost of the rack.

Maybe I will sell her off next year (after fixing the issue only), get a different car. But whenever I think of selling her, the 11 year old in me (who fell in love with the Swift in 2005) dissuades me regarding the decision. The car makes me feel 11, which at 27 is not a bad thing. So, it's becoming a head vs heart decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoyal1996 View Post
Regarding the Steering rack price, did you check with MASS or are you just relying on the prices shown on boodmo?
Thank you pgoyal1996 for you suggestion. I also did cross verify with MASS (& Shashi), this rack indeed costs this much .

Last edited by chiranjitp : 15th December 2021 at 22:18.
chiranjitp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 23:30   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks jithin23, glad you liked the mod. Regarding cruise control, I doubt it will be possible in the Swift. Though might be possible in the Ecosport
I remember seeing some Swifts in the international forums having cruise control in type 1 and type 2(2012 onwards). In EcoSport, it's possible on any variant. In the facelift version, the ambient model does not support it.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 16:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I remember seeing some Swifts in the international forums having cruise control in type 1 and type 2(2012 onwards).
Unfortunately cruise control is not possible at least on the G13B engine AFAIK. The international Swifts had a entirely different engine and different ECU, hence it was possible, What we got here in India is a G13B. The throttle body here in cable operated which puts cruise control out of the options. Although I think it is possible with the K12M Engine. On the other hand , Your Ecosport is a testament how you can add/Unlock features in a Ford.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 19:48   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Let's see what the future holds, will update it here.
Finally got the steering rack rattle fixed. At the end went with an used one, mainly because of the cost of the new one. My trusted FNG mechanic found one for me, apparently it originally belonged to a Dzire tour! I got the rack for 8k, paid 1.5k to my mechanic to swap the rack. I also swapped the tie ends from my existing rack, which I had previously replaced.

Replacement rack:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-replacement-rack.jpg

Mechanic inspecting the replacement rack:

Name:  Mechanic inspecting the rack.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  111.0 KB

Tie ends removed:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-ends-removed.jpg

Removing the subframe:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-removing-subframe.jpg

Now, to the main question of how's the new rack? First of all the rattle is gone, completely gone. Hopefully the used rack will last the distance, my mechanic says so. Since the rack came from a Dzire tour, I am wary of the distance that the rack might have done previously. As for the negatives, the steering felt a bit hard initially, with time the steering lightness is back to normal (or maybe I have gotten used to it ). There's also a slight play at centre (which was also there before as well). Last month I drove a 2010 Swift VXi with just 40k km on the odometer, that car steering is slightly better. Anyways for the price I paid, I can't be complaining.

Part number of outgoing rack:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-part-number-outgoing-rack.jpg

Part number of replacement rack:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-part-number-replacement-rack.jpg

Oil change time

I get the engine oil replaced every year, regardless of the km done. For the last 3 oil changes, I have been using 5W40 fully synthetic oil. There has been no issue of oil consumption or any issue that might come from using synthetic oil in such an old engine. Like last time went with Mobil 1 5W40 fully synthetic oil (from Amazon at a discount).

Oil change in progress:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-oil-change.jpg

Oil that came out:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-oil-came-out.jpg

Some Swift photos:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-some-swift-photos-1.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-some-swift-photos-2.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-some-swift-photos-3.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-some-swift-photos-4.jpg

Current odo:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-current-odo-reading.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 5th January 2022 at 20:03.
chiranjitp is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 22:31   #117
BHPian

Farewell to the Swift

Prologue

Many years ago, there was a 11-year-old boy, unaware & unbothered about the reality of life & all things happening around him (still is, some say). Never could fit anywhere properly (still can't, some say), except when it came to cars. When kids of his age were busy buying/reading comics (& story books), he would buy the Autocar India magazine, read, look at car photos & repeat the cycle.

Those days his favorite car was the FIAT Palio, every car was inferior to the Palio as per him. He would daydream about buying a Palio someday. Then on a fine summer evening, all that would change.

One fine evening in July 2005 he went with his uncle to get some groceries. In the front parking lot, there was this car parked for display purpose, it looked unlike anything he had seen on our roads or even in car magazines. Both him & his uncle (also into cars) forgot about the shopping part & directly went to check the car.

The display car was in blue in color & looked so good, looked like a car from the future. The signboard behind the car read "SWIFT, you're the fuel". So, the car's name was Swift, the 11-year-old boy figured out. The car had so many curves, the sweptback big headlights, the bulky rear, everything looked very unique & eye catching.

Then a SA came, opened the car & asked them to check out the interiors. The interiors felt even better, there was no exposed metal parts here, everything was covered with plastic. The dashboard was long & big, had all 4 power windows. The SA then started explaining the features to his uncle, the Swift was very loaded for that time. Two things caught the fancy of the 11-year-old, first was the ACC, just set the temperature like you would do in a split AC, how cool he thought. Next thing the duo was informed about was that the Swift had some 6/7 computers on board, which really caught the fancy of the boy. He asked the SA to show him the 6/7 computers, to which the SA couldn't give a satisfactory answer. The 11-year boy was very excited with the prospect of having 6/7 computers inside a car, surely, he could play his favorite game in one of them. Finally, they left the place & the SA gave him a brochure of the Swift, which is with him even to this date (& will be always with him).

This 11-year-old boy is all grown up & a mature (although some say otherwise), 24-year-old now. He also has a car of his own (bought by his parents for his college duties), a 2001 Zen VXi in immaculate condition. By this time he was a member of Team BHP, made a few friends for life. One fine September evening, he would finally get the opportunity to fulfill his long-time dream.

DBHPian & very good friend Leoshashi sent him a message over WhatsApp, that a DBHPian from Delhi was looking to sell his 2006 Swift ZXi. He was specifically looking to sell the car to someone who would take proper care of her. Since the car belonged to a BHPian & was the top of line ZXI (with airbags & ABS), the 24-year-old was very interested in the car. This was kind of a onetime opportunity to buy a first gen Swift, the car that he has been waiting since he was 11. So, he talked to DBHPian SS-Traveller (the owner of the Swift) regarding the price, general condition of the car, how to bring the car to Guwahati etc. Long story short, he sold his 01 Zen, bought the Swift home within a month.

The 24 year would finally fulfill the dream of his 11 year old self of buying a Gen 1 Swift. The car also lived upto his expectations. The 11-year-old kid wasn't wrong after-all, the Swift was a great car, ahead of its time.

Present day

The Swift has been with me since 2018, performing flawlessly. Even in 2022, she didn't feel outdated, had all the features one needed. The 11-year-old kid in me was also happy with the fact that I owned & drove a Swift. The car was super reliable as well, never broke down anywhere. It did require some maintenance, though mostly were due to the fact that the 11 year old in me would accept (or at-least try) nothing less than how the Swift was in 2005. It was always an attempt to bring the vehicle back to factory condition of 2005, both mechanically and cosmetically. Also, since it was a MSIL product, fixing & replacing things didn't cost much.

Then disaster struck, earlier this year the steering rack failed. That part if bought new costs a whopping 32k, the 27 (soon to be 28) year old me wasn’t happy with spending so much. The 11-year-old me of course wanted to fit a new rack & get a feel of how the steering behaved when Swift was brand new (the rest of the suspension components were new anyways). The 27-year-old me won this battle & I ended up fitting a steering rack from scrap (8k being the cost). This rack did solve the main issue, though I (mainly the 11-year-old in me) wasn't properly satisfied with this steering. Then there were my family, who told me point blank to sell the Swift & get something brand new.

Of course, the 11 year old inside me asked me to fix the car properly once & for all. New steering, new paint, new whatever was needed & keep her for a long time. Then the 27 year me counter argued that at the end of the day it will still be a 16-year-old car, also I already had an old car (our 1999 Omni). Another factor was the NGT's ban on old cars, now this point is funny since I got this car to Guwahati from Delhi so that she could live post the 15-year mark. So, what changed now? Well, the headquarter of the organization I currently work for is set in NCR, & of course a transfer there is a possibility.

So, with a heavy heart I parted with the Swift on 16.01.2022, sold her to a used car dealer. I did get a good resale value, speaks about the brand value of a Swift (no matter how old). The 11-year-old was devastated that day (still is a bit sad), & the 27-year-old me says sorry to that kid, who fell in love with the Swift. The kid in me did get to live the dream though, for almost 3.5 years. Of course, this was never enough, though I hope it was at least something.

The 16 year old Swift, the 16 year old brochure & 27 year old me:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220116_120241.jpg

Adios Swift:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220116_120254.jpg

Final odometer reading:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220116_133237.jpg

The Gen 1 Swift ZXi mini review

The Gen 1 Swift ZXi was one complete car, ahead of its time. Let's start with the engine, the legendary G13BB. Of course, a bit outdated with regards to NVH & mileage, but talk about performance & fun factor, it can still teach a lesson to most of the 1.2s on sale today. Then there was the way it revved to the redline, the awesome feeling of redlining the G13B, it revvs cleanly to 6800 RPM with the engine screaming its lungs out. Not many cars can hit three digit speeds in 2nd gear, this one can.

Things like clutch, gear shifting were spot on. The gear throws feel like how it would in a car from 2022, they were short & precise. Next up brakes, my variant being ZXi got ABS as standard & brake bite was perfect. I would even say the braking action is better than our 2016 Ecosport D.

Ride & handling was good, of course Swift is known for a stiff ride. Yes, the ride is stiff, but the tall 185/70 R14 tyres mean it can tackle bad roads rather well. Then the handling, which is very tight and precise. The turn in is sharp & one can carry some serious speeds over corners. Again, in the ride & handling department, it feels like a modern car.

Next up the all-black interiors, the big dashboard & thick A pillars make you feel like you are inside a big car. Interior rattle is a big issue though, my Zen in fact had way lesser rattles. The front seats are very big & supportive, really a comfy place. The rear seats are decent, space & comfort both.

Also, equipment levels are decent even by 2022 standards. It has got dual airbags, ABS, 14" alloys (5 of them), front & rear foglights (rear foglight has gone missing in new gen Marutis), ACC, driver seat height adjust, height adjustable seat-belts (again missing in many new cars), two 12V sockets, boot light (missing in something like a Polo), 4 PW, rear wiper & defogger etc.

All in all, I couldn’t have asked for a better replacement for my Zen. This gen of the Swift can be said to be one of those ageless beauties. It got so many things right. And as someone who practically lives and breaths cars, this car was like a match made in heaven to me. The journey with this one has been memorable, and the stories I will carry with myself for a lifetime will be immense. We all know EVs are in the horizon, and there will be a day, years from now, when some of us automotive enthusiasts will sit together over a cup of tea to discuss the days we spent hooning our ICE cars. During those discussions, this Swift will be the car I will remember the most fondly about. The screaming G13BB, the tight handling, the mad adrenaline rush… those will be the stories to tell.

The last time these 3 would be clicked together:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220112_222757.jpg

The replacement

Now to the most important question, what car replaced the Swift. I was initially looking at only new cars, hatchbacks to be precise. Finally, I ended up with pre-owned 2019 Polo TDi Highline +. This buying experience will be shared in a different thread/post.

Polo:

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220127_090039.jpg

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220126_135405.jpg

Last edited by chiranjitp : 24th February 2022 at 22:55.
chiranjitp is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 23:55   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Farewell to the Swift
A very beautifully written farewell post for the Swift bro. Your words are speaking the pure emotion at which you have pampered this car with all these years.

I for one have seen this car from day 1 to it's last day with you. And I can say this with all my confidence that it has indeed been a wonderful journey throughout.

There's something beautiful about how this one used to blend with the person behind the command of the wheel. How this 16 year old car would oblige to the inputs that it is being asked to carry out like a playful child. And it did all of these with it's own unique style. G13 Swift was truly a last car of it's kind, cars that had drama, cars that talked back to you. And it was a special kind of feeling. Even after crossing the 15 year old mark, it never lost it's youthful nature.

You don't need to spend the big bucks to have fun, a 16 year old Swift can do that as well. This car is a testament to that statement.

In the end I would describe this whole 3.5 years of time in one line -"It has been one heck of a journey".

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-20220225__00.03.13swift.jpeg
Out in the picturesque hills of Meghalaya. Roads full of twists and turns such as this really brought out the character of the Swift. She has been a wonderful companion in these impromptu chai trips.

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20220225_000719.jpg
Sharing space with my steed. The Swift came 8 years before the Grand i10, yet it never looks dated or out of place.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 25th February 2022 at 00:11.
Tanveer02 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 09:08   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Farewell to the Swift
A proper farewell to our beloved Swift. It's really heart wrenching to see her go.

The upgrades and DIYs you did with her was awesome to read and experience.

The G13BB was a childhood crush for a lot of us. I am yet to fullfill my G-series dream and looking at the present scenario it feels like it'd remain a dream only.

The couple of drives I had with your Swift will always have a special place in my heart for years to come.

As for the replacement, I personally wished for a SCross 1.6, but looking at the scarcity in the used car market and your use case(not much use of rear seat), Polo is a worthy replacement.

Sharing couple of clicks with my steeds.
My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img20220225wa0005.jpg
My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img20220225wa0006.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th February 2022 at 20:32. Reason: broken quote
DevOnWheels is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 20:41   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Farewell to the Swift
A beautifully written farewell post for an equally awesome machine. This was one car which in no way looked or drove like a 16 year old car all thanks to the smart and small mods and immaculate maintenance. Had a lot of fun redlining this gem of an engine in every opportunity I got.
Your decision to sell this suddenly did take all of us by surprise and we did try warning you against going to a german from a cheap pre owned Maruti , but thankfully the polo you got was one great deal.
The swift was also in a way responsible for building our Assam chapter of team-bhp and I am pretty sure you must of lost the count of how many you have asked to redline the swift over the years
Posting some pictures of the swift from of our meetups and wishing you many happy and fun filled miles with the polo.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20200922_165620.jpg  

My experience with cheap pre-owned cars-img_20210711_101916.jpg  

Last edited by JD_404 : 25th February 2022 at 20:44. Reason: Typo
JD_404 is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks