Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 16:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
May I ask what prompted you to choose ceramic coating over ppf ? Or was ppf never a consideration to begin with ? I was mesmerised by the finish that ceramic coating offered, but finally decided on ppf because of highway usage and the fear of my bonnet chipping from loose gravel etc. I don’t have buyers remorse but I always feel jealous when I see the shine that ceramic customers enjoy.
I actually didn't consider PPF to begin with and instead went directly with Ceramic Coating based on a recommendation from SA. I honestly think it only does the job to a certain extent. I haven't had any chipping issues yet though but it doesn't really help with scratches like how some of them advertise. Maybe in that regard PPF might fair well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
Congratulations! The V40 looks really great in white with tan interiors. Simple and ageless. Happy miles to you and your family.
Thanks mate. I actually love the interior colours and they do seem to age well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congratulations VJBox!! Lovely ride there! Excellent built quality!

I really really like this car except for the D3 tune and 6 speed AT, as you have mentioned. This can be a Rockstar with D4 + 8 Speed Asin GB.

Wish you a very happy ownership! Drive safe!
Thanks Chetan. Yes I really wished we had a the D4 here in India. I am although consider for a remap from a reputed guy here in Chennai which can match the spec of D4. I am yet to decide though and might as well seek some expert opinion from our community members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorotor View Post
Congratulations on your V40. That is one beautiful car you got there! Drive safe.
Thanks mate!

Last edited by vjbox : 29th February 2020 at 16:43. Reason: Typo
Old 29th February 2020, 16:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
I own a red 2017 V40 in Chennai too! Mine is the new Thor's hammer 4-cyl D3 as well, but I'm missing adaptive cruise control, lane keeping aid and BLIS :(
Sweet! I originally fell for the car seeing it in red. It looked dashing! I actually didn't know they sold the earlier year variants with different Driver support packs.

Quote:
The battery issue is definitely not one-off. Mine was a Volvo-branded AGM battery that died in exactly two years. I even got the Bosch C7 to help revive that battery but it was totally dead. I was advised to have it changed outside and I had it replaced with an Amaron and had no problems since.
Oh, wow that does seem like a mild pattern. They replaced mine to SF Sonic and it seems fine so far.

Quote:
I've replaced the stock rubber with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, and there's a considerable difference in handling and NVH compared to stock. You could look at those. I got sidewall tears in my stock set, and had to replace them.
Nice to know the Pilot sport 4s are better in this regard. I will perhaps bear it in mind when the time comes. For now the Cinturatos seem to run ok and I am keeping a close eye on those

Quote:
A weekend meetup with our Scandinavians does sound great! I've never done one of those before
Absolutely! Will DM you the details and lets coordinate a meet up soon!
Old 29th February 2020, 23:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Thanks Chetan. Yes I really wished we had a the D4 here in India. I am although consider for a remap from a reputed guy here in Chennai which can match the spec of D4. I am yet to decide though and might as well seek some expert opinion from our community members.
I would suggest that you go with official Polestar remap from the company, if it is available for the VIN. That takes care of both the Engine and the GB remap.

Third party remap for a new car costing above 35L and that is under warranty, may not be worth the risk in my opinion.
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 01:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all, why don't I begin my first official ownership review and pretty much my first large post here on the forum on my V40 Cross Country. Let's do this! ...
I loved Volvos when they were wardobe-shaped estate cars back in the 1960s! Certainly a lot of beauty has been added to the design since then

Well outside of my possible price range, but there is no harm in dreaming --- and reading your review was a very happy dream! What an absolute delight of a car.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 10:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I would suggest that you go with official Polestar remap from the company, if it is available for the VIN. That takes care of both the Engine and the GB remap.

Third party remap for a new car costing above 35L and that is under warranty, may not be worth the risk in my opinion.
Thanks Chethan. I actually did check with the service center on the polestar Optimization and I learnt that they dont have a tune for 2018 D3 motor. It seems to be only available for D4 variant according to the polestar site and the last tune they had for D3 seems to be for the 2015 models which I believe are the 5cyl motors. I do hope they get one out but I suspect it though.

But yes, I should rather control the urge and not mess with a car under warranty.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 21:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I loved Volvos when they were wardobe-shaped estate cars back in the 1960s! Certainly a lot of beauty has been added to the design since then

Oh yes! Their new designs are a lot more desirable.

Quote:
Well outside of my possible price range, but there is no harm in dreaming --- and reading your review was a very happy dream! What an absolute delight of a car.

Thanks and I am glad to learn that. Trust me I felt the same just a few years back and yes there is no harm and I would go on to insist you continue to dream. I do hope it stirred up your dream a notch and here's wishing you to possess one very soon!
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 18:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Rated a well deserved 5 star - a very well written, neatly laid out thread. Congratulations on the car and wish you many more happy miles.

V40 is really an underrated car, but I love the design and have been always a fan of the understated design of Volvos. Please do add more photos taken outside.

--Anoop

A few more photos of the Exterior taken recently.

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-v40-cc-view-3.jpg

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-v40-cc-view-2.jpg

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-v40-cc-view1.jpg

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-v40-cc-side-view.jpg
vjbox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 19:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1979634
Congrats on your purchase !

Those wheels perfectly complement the car in this colour. And those 'Thor hammer' DRLs do add character and freshness to this design.

Wish you many happy miles ahead

Last edited by psispace : 13th March 2020 at 19:10.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The car looks stunning. Very well written review, congratulations on your new vehicle. Quick question on the spares availability, as this model is discontinued, did you face any such issue?
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 08:54   #40
BHPian

Lovely car and review! Nothing like a practical hatch for our roads �� Have you had a chat with the service centre about availability of spares now that the car is discontinued here? Also, is there a separate compartment for the spare wheel and what size is it?

Last edited by Iyencar : 28th July 2020 at 08:56. Reason: So many questions
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 07:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
The car looks stunning. Very well written review, congratulations on your new vehicle. Quick question on the spares availability, as this model is discontinued, did you face any such issue?
Thanks! There hasnt been any issues with spares as such in my experience so far. I was told Volvo would typically stock the parts for discontinued models for a very long time and will make them available. Since this is a CBU, there is always that waiting period for some parts to arrive if they are not locally stocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Lovely car and review! Nothing like a practical hatch for our roads �� Have you had a chat with the service centre about availability of spares now that the car is discontinued here? Also, is there a separate compartment for the spare wheel and what size is it?
Thanks. Yeah its indeed a very practical long hatch that can easily be your daily driver. Basic parts are typically stocked at Volvo India while certain parts are only shipped from their plants in EU as per my understanding from the Service center. Yeah there is a spare wheel compartment underneath the boot which is a Space saver spare wheel and tyre. I am not although sure on the exact size and will need to check.
vjbox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
.....Yeah its indeed a very practical long hatch that can easily be your daily driver....
That's such an amazing review!
And a great car too.
Congratulations on your Volvo!

It looks absolutely S-E-X-Y!
Rating this 5 stars!
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 01:00   #43
BHPian

30K Update!

Just had the 30k service done and the usual set of procedures were carried on with a total bill of around INR 28K or something. Batteries that were changed under warranty a couple of years back is still acting wonky and I am told Volvo now installs Volvo's own batteries.SF Sonic doesn't seem to hold the juice for even 2 years and due to that the start stop system isn't working at the moment so I will go for a battery replacement soon. The Volvo technician told me that they have been receiving numerous complaints on the SF sonic model they installed. I am pressing for a free battery replacement from their end.

Other than that the vehicle has been doing well and we went to Kodai for a quick relaxation trip, touring around the neighbouring villages in the hills. This has quickly become one of my favourite routes with clean roads leading all the way to Kodaikanal. We typically have been doing a stop over in Dindigul for the night and start fresh in the morning for the climb to get those nice scenic views.

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-img_3211.jpg

From the recent wheel alignment and balancing session

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-img_43412.jpg

Somewhere in the neighbouring villages of Kodai

Depending on the covid situation we have some trips lined up, including Vizag and possibly Goa If situations permit. So will hopefully have some more ownership and trip updates coming in soon!
vjbox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 20:21   #44
BHPian

40K Update- Got the vehicle serviced recently at 40K after back to back trips to Dhanushkodi, Goa, Yercaud and Trichy. Following parts were replaced apart from the regular servicing consumables and software update.

1. Front disc set + brake pads
2. Rear brake pads
3. IRVM where the auto dimming wasnt working was replaced under extend warranty (this unit costs around 50K and its good the EW covered it)

The car feels nicer now with the new discs and pads and has greatly improved the braking manners during high speeds.

Recent observations-

The Clean zone package which blows fresh air into the cabin on unlocking the car no more works and it appears it ceases to work around the 4 year mark according to this article.

https://www.volvocars.com/in/support...r-package-czip

However I am thinking of checking withe service center as this was a handy feature which filled the cabin with fresh air upon entering and I sort of miss it now where I now need to roll the windows down for a few seconds after starting up.

Otherwise, it seems like a fruitful 40K and the car seems to drive the same as it did day 1, if not better.

Living with a Volvo V40 Cross Country-v40-dhanushkodi.jpg

Chilling on the roads of Dhanushkodi
vjbox is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 17:37   #45

Hey,
Just have a few issues;
1. My 2018 model V40 CC’s bumper touches while getting out of a basement and ramps.
Has anyone tried Rogerab suspension buffers for V40 CC? Reviews and feedback is helpful.
2. The stocks Pirelli RFT tyres 225/45/r18 are delicate I must say. Anyone else faced with such an issue? Any solution for this or changing to regular Non RFT tyres help?

Any inputs in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks
Ram Suraj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks