Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 16:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Blue dream to reality - My BMW X3 (G01) 20d xDrive Luxury Line

Awesome choice, beautiful wheels and great car! congrats!

Btw can you let me know that Palaspe speed camera location on the Expwy,?..... for research purposes.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:00   #17
BHPian

Stunning review for an equally stunning looking car ! Love the impulsive buy you made. X3 is a capable car. The alloy wheel design looks awesome. Wish you happy miles. Do update the thread regularly.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 13th April 2020 at 17:11.
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Concluding thoughts

Congratulation on your acquisition. Going from a WagonR to to this, that's quite a success story indeed!

This is one of the BMWs on sale that still looks fine. With the massive grille coming into the picture, the newer models have started looking less desirable. Excellent choice of colour as well - nice and racy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Do I regret not checking out Q5, GLC, Discovery Sport, F-Pace, or XC60?
Absolutely not.

They say if you don't look back after locking your car then you have bought a wrong car. Every alternate day despite the lockdown and hysteria, I sneak out of my home and go down eighteen floors to pat my Banzai in the parking, says how I feel.
Agreed. Certain decisions should be taken with your heart. I am pretty much the same in my thinking. Once I want something, I just work towards getting it. Don't really care about checking alternate choices.

Hope this lockdown ends soon and you get to put some miles on the odo. Wish you many happy years ahead.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats bj96 from someone who owns the previous generation X3. It is indeed a wonderful car, and the new one does seem to address lots of the small gaps that existed in the previous generation.

Would strongly recommend taking both the extended warranty and the BSI. Oil change and brake pad change intervals are condition based - in my Bombay driving cycle, oil changes have been at 7000 km intervals vs 12000 km, and perhaps because of how I drive, my brake pads have required quick changes as well.

Best of luck and let’s hope for more reasons than one that the lockdowns are lifted and we can get back to driving our beauties once again.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 19:57   #20
BHPian

Great purchase and an excellent review!
It's always an inspiration reading these kinds of reviews.
Wishing you many many happy miles ahead.
Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 20:13   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on the new X3! There's a Phytonic Blue Luxury Line in our apartment complex and it looks like quite the stunner.

Just a quick correction, the 20d has a single twin-scroll turbo and the 25d has a twin turbo setup. BMW calls both their twin turbo and single twin-scroll turbo setups as 'TwinPower Turbo' which can often be confusing. Regardless, the twin-scroll turbo combined with the 8 speed T/M does a great job of almost eliminating turbo lag!

BSI does offer peace of mind but do consider your running. We had a 2013 X1 20d and our average service interval was 13k kms and we managed only 2 services in the 3 year period (We had a smaller car for local errands). We knew the third service would be coming up a month after BSI ended but ASC wouldn't service until the car prompted for it. The Condition Based Service system takes into account your driving style so drive more or drive harder so you can make the most of it

Wish you many happy kilometres!
saur95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 20:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
the 20d has a single twin-scroll turbo and the 25d has a twin turbo setup. BMW calls both their twin turbo and single twin-scroll turbo setups as 'TwinPower Turbo' which can often be confusing.
Twin Power Turbos is more than just a marketing term, these are actually different from single Turbos, either way, regrettably we don’t get any variants with Twin Turbo in 4 or 6 cylinders Diesels

https://bimmertips.com/bmw-twinpower...tem-explained/

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th April 2020 at 21:03.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 21:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Btw can you let me know that Palaspe speed camera location on the Expwy,?..... for research purposes.
Unfortunately, I believe this might have been a mobile speed camera, mounted to a vehicle. I passed one on the drive back from Pune and this review reminded me to check for any challans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks! Considering BMW doesn't use the TwinTurbo Power moniker, this makes it a little confusing but I guess we can summarise that TwinPower Turbo = usage of twin-scroll turbos, whether its a single or bi-turbo setup. Magnificent piece of engineering that twin-scroll turbo.

Quote:
Twin Power Turbos is more than just a marketing term, these are actually different from single Turbos, either way, regrettably we don’t get any variants with Twin Turbo in 4 or 6 cylinders Diesels
I guess the costs for a twin turbo setup are just prohibitive, especially with the twin-scrolls.

I believe the 640d twins were the last true twin turbo diesels sold in India. Maybe we can expect the 840d in Gran Coupe guise.

Anyway, my bad, looks like we're going OT.

Last edited by saur95 : 13th April 2020 at 21:31.
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 22:07   #24
BHPian

Congratulations man! She looks amazing.
But for me the star of your garage has to be the Fatboy ! What else have u got hiding in the garage of yours Would love to visit you one day and see the Fatboy up close!
Congrats again
Hamza123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 23:21   #25
GTB
BHPian

Firstly congratulations! One word, Your car looks stunning and Wagon-R to an X3 is quite an inspiring story.

Quote:
Left ORVM dips slightly towards ground when reverse gear is engaged
Also, how can one set this, through iDrive? I read somewhere that car must have reverse-camera to dip Left-ORVM downwards automatically.
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 08:34   #26
BHPian

Now that's some major upgrade over Safari 4x4. My neighbour used to own 2013 X3 x-drive 20d, which he bought over Q5 2.0 TDI then. This is one car which I would always remember, as it was 1st A/T I ever drove and made me realise that good A/T can be fun to drive.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 14th April 2020 at 08:35.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 17:39   #27
BHPian

Congratulations on your journey from a WagonR to a Bimmer in 20 years. The way you've explained your car buying process is apt and pretty quick for a 70L car purchase. Wish you 1000's of miles with your X3!
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 21:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Also, how can one set this, through iDrive? I read somewhere that car must have reverse-camera to dip Left-ORVM downwards automatically.
You have to set the power mirror switch to driver side. Then, when you reverse, the passenger side mirror tilts downward to show the curb view. I don't know if this on its own is sufficient, or if there is an additional setting in iDrive 7.0. I vaguely remember having to change a setting in iDrive also in the Vehicle menu. You might want to try it first with just the power mirror switch set to the Driver side position.
jfk1975 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 23:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.. congratulations on your success & the car... X3 is going to our homepage shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
...Congratulations on this grand journey! ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
First of all big congratulations on your German purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations bj96 on your X3. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats on the beautiful new ride...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Congrats bj96 on your cool X3. Enjoy your speed machine, wishing you lots of Happy motoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Congratulations on the beautiful car and a great review!...
Quote:
Awesome choice, beautiful wheels and great car! congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Stunning review for an equally stunning looking car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Congratulation on your acquisition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Congrats bj96 from someone who owns the previous generation X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjith812 View Post
Great purchase and an excellent review! ... many many happy miles ahead.
Quote:
Congratulations on the new X3! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
Congratulations man! ... Congrats again
Quote:
Firstly congratulations! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Congratulations on your journey from a WagonR to a Bimme... Wish you 1000's of miles with your X3!
Quote:
Congratulations bj96. You have got yourself a nice treat...
Thank you guys for your kind words and wishes.

Quote:
2-5% variation is a norm ... Can you contest it?...
I think expressway limit is 100km/h now. Camera limit showing 105 km/h is already increased by 5% margin. I have already paid the fine last month without contesting. It was Rs 1000/-. My logic was difficult to win against govt agencies and Covid had spread over many parts of Maharashtra. Instead of engaging Govt machineries and police in frivolous contests let them fight the epidemic... I thought let me treat this as my little donation.

Quote:
... Problem is mostly with the tyres. RFT are prone to cuts or sidewall failing as its very hard...
Thanks for this. Makes sense. We have not visited Himalayas and dont see that coming in next 2-3 years in car (might do on motorcycle). I will run current RFTs until its service life. At next change I will consider TL options. Based on my running of 5-6 thousand kilometers a year, it should easily last at least 4-5 years.

Quote:
...If you like, one can get these painted to the body colour (like M variants) from the dealership...
Body coloured indeed looks good. However, Pune city traffic is very bad. Two and three wheelers have bad habit of squeezing in and scratching corners and edges of cars. Unpainted black surface will be easier to maintain as minor scratches will not show up or can easily be repaired by silicon spray and some mild rubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
... My big takeaway from your thread: please let us know a few months before you buy your next car...Is that your red Wagon-R in pic #2? Nice little automotive Easter Egg if so!
He he. Wish I could know Covid was coming. :(
No easter egg. We drove our WagonR in 2012 from Pune to my native place in north Bihar and left there for my dad to use. Later it was sold to a local relative. I had started a thread on my WagonR here (Maruti Suzuki WagonR DIY Stuff. Update: 8 years, half-a-lakh kms and counting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
...Is the adaptive suspension an active suspension...
I think- X3 G01 has Active Suspension. Excerpt from technical brochure:

Quote:
The Dynamic Damper Control makes it possible to adjust
the damper characteristics to suit any given driving situation,
increasing roll comfort and driving dynamics. Electronically
controlled dampers adapt the damper response to the road

surface and driving conditions.
Here is a video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
...This seems to be by design ... reason for specifically deleting this seems to be that BMW thinks it is not very safe to have a dimmed left ORVM...There is an app called "BMW Driver's Guide"...
Thanks- that indeed looks like a reason. Otherwise it would be too silly to strip down next generation from previous one. I have BMW driver's guide App. Still it has some irrelevant sections.

Quote:
...Btw can you let me know that Palaspe speed camera location on the Expwy...
Haha, it was first time even for me. I think it was somewhere after 1st toll post as you go from Pune towards Bombay before Lonavala. It wasn't something obvious which I failed to notice as I am usually a very attentive and cautious driver.

Quote:
You can decide about BSI pack before first service. If your running is low, it's Ok to ignore but extended warranty is a must. You can buy before lapse...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
...strongly recommend taking both the extended warranty and the BSI. Oil change and brake pad change intervals are condition based - in my Bombay driving cycle, oil changes have been at 7000 km intervals vs 12000 km...
Extended warranty is a must- agreed. Am reluctant for BSI as my running will be highway runs mostly and about 5-6k kms a year. We have Brio as beater car and for city runabouts. When solo, I usually ride one of my motorcycles.

Quote:
... Just a quick correction, the 20d has a single twin-scroll turbo and the 25d has a twin turbo setup. BMW calls both their twin turbo and single twin-scroll turbo setups as 'TwinPower Turbo'... BSI does offer peace of mind but do consider your running...
Thanks. This is why I love team-bhp. I stand corrected. Looking up links you shared, TwinPower turbo actually looks innovative and efficient in terms of weight and cost (to manufacture and maintain) from twin turbo setups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza123 View Post
...star of your garage has to be the Fatboy.. Would love to visit you one day
Hehe...I notice you are based in Pune. Lets connect offline and meet over coffee or anything else you prefer

Quote:
... how can one set this, through iDrive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
You have to set the power mirror switch to driver side. Then, when you reverse, the passenger side mirror tilts downward...
That is right as jfk1975 said. I will check if there is anything else in iDrive settings and revert.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 00:20   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Instead of engaging Govt machineries and police in frivolous contests let them fight the epidemic

Pune city traffic is very bad. Two and three wheelers have bad habit of squeezing in and scratching corners and edges of cars.[/quote]

Never thought that way. Perhaps you should get PPF done, if not on the full body, then atleast on the bumpers.

X3 G01 has Active Suspension. Excerpt from a technical brochure:

Yes, it does. In BMW parlance, dynamic damper control.

https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...t%20Diesel.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Blue dream to reality - My BMW X3 (G01) 20d xDrive Luxury Line-11.png  

Last edited by ajmat : 15th April 2020 at 07:50. Reason: fixing quote
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks