Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 11:13   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2019 Mercedes C220d, the comfy star

Congratulations SGM on this purchase.
She looks really good and classy. I share your views on Gear Selector being with the steering wheel, might need time to get used to it.
How is the ground clearance of this ? Do you find it difficult in our Bangalore's famous speed braker's?
Old 30th January 2020, 12:27   #17
BHPian

Many congratulations on your Merc! I am the guy with the 300d. For everyday driving, 220d works like a charm! My close friend got himself a 220d a few days ago with the diamond grille as an add on in the designo hyacinth red metallic color! The only thing about the new G20 BMW that I miss having is the amazing steering wheel(the alcantara beefy steering wheel is amazing to hold).

Last edited by akunchala : 30th January 2020 at 12:32. Reason: missed adding 'wheel' next to steering
Old 30th January 2020, 19:01   #18
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Congratulations SGM on this purchase.
She looks really good and classy. I share your views on Gear Selector being with the steering wheel, might need time to get used to it.
How is the ground clearance of this ? Do you find it difficult in our Bangalore's famou his speed braker's?
Thank you srikrishna.
I'm not troubled by the gear selector much. Did the wrong stuff 2-3 times in 3 months but it was all in crawling traffic. My fear is, what if muscle memory does the wrong stuff on a highway at a speed? Now I do the wrong thing on the other cars at home as this is the commonly used one, but I'm generally very careful in the first 5minutes.

Haven't face any major issue with speedbreakers so far in Bangalore, but did scrape very gently twice as did not slow down enough.I checked the under belly and it looked fine. I do try to avoid short cuts via gully roads. If you slow down, that will do.

Regarding GC, I think the ground clearance is better than 3 series E90. Near my office, I noticed my friend scraping the under belly of E90 a bit once when I was him but mine doesn't face any issue at the same place. He says it happens almost everyday.
Old 30th January 2020, 19:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Thank you srikrishna.
I'm not troubled by the gear selector much. Did the wrong stuff 2-3 times in 3 months but it was all in crawling traffic. My fear is, what if muscle memory does the wrong stuff on a highway at a speed? Now I do the wrong thing on the other cars at home as this is the commonly used one, but I'm generally very careful in the first 5minutes.
Congrats on your car! Merc hit it out of the park with this generation of the C class's styling and it really looks like a mini S Class.

Absolutely do not worry about doing the wrong thing with these electronic gear shifters. As everything is done electronically, your commands will simply be ignored if they cannot be executed. Shift to P / R at highway speeds? Your request will be dismissed with perhaps just a small beep back at you. For instance, my 3 series is designed to reject D->P/R transitions above 2KMPH. Your car will have similar thresholds in place too.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 19:17   #20
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
Many congratulations on your Merc! I am the guy with the 300d. For everyday driving, 220d works like a charm! My close friend got himself a 220d a few days ago with the diamond grille as an add on in the designo hyacinth red metallic color! The only thing about the new G20 BMW that I miss having is the amazing steering wheel(the alcantara beefy steering wheel is amazing to hold).
Thanks akunchala.
I was going to PM you to today, then I saw this message. I have been following your post from the beginning on 300D and it was one of the inspiration for me. IIRC it was the first ownership review of the 2018 facelift. Many belated congrats on your speed machine. The car looks smashing in Obsidian Black
& AMG kit. The 18" wheels look beautiful in the Gray & Black finish.
Cheers

Last edited by sgm : 30th January 2020 at 19:23.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 19:54   #21
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Congrats on your car! Merc hit it out of the park with this generation of the C class's styling and it really looks like a mini S Class.

Absolutely do not worry about doing the wrong thing with these electronic gear shifters. As everything is done electronically, your commands will simply be ignored if they cannot be executed. Shift to P / R at highway speeds? Your request will be dismissed with perhaps just a small beep back at you. For instance, my 3 series is designed to reject D->P/R transitions above 2KMPH. Your car will have similar thresholds in place too.
Thank you d3mon, it should be fine as you have mentioned. I haven't heard of anyone doing a self destruction.

I had done some research on this online and a few forums mention it as 10 or 20KMPH for Merc. It should be fine as the MID shows that N is the only allowed operation from D. I haven't checked if that itself goes off after a certain speed.
Cheers
Old 31st January 2020, 11:13   #22
BHPian

Congrats sgm on the Merc.
The bit about AdBlue was news to me .

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...esel-cars-use/
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks akunchala. Many belated congrats on your speed machine.
Thank you, sgm! In fact, my car was the first 300d to be delivered in the country
Quote:
The 18" wheels look beautiful in the Gray & Black finish.
18" wheels look killer but on the roads we have, they are a pain to maintain. You need to be very careful with potholes and speed breakers. The RFTs are definitely not helping with the ride quality either.
akunchala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 21:15   #24
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Congrats sgm on the Merc.
The bit about AdBlue was news to me .

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...esel-cars-use/
Thank you
I think many of the manufacturers will skip SCR using AdBlue, they will do NOx reduction by EGR. Ford, Kia etc are taking this route as cost will be under check. Good for end customer also as to save on AdBlue expenses.
Old 31st January 2020, 21:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think many of the manufacturers will skip SCR using AdBlue, ....Ford, Kia etc are taking this route as cost will be under check.
Not really. The choice of using a LNT instead of a reductant along with SCR depends on the size of the engine. Ford and Kia use an LNT because their cars have engine sizes around 1.5 litres.

Quote:
they will do NOx reduction by EGR.
There is nothing like this.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 16:07   #26
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Not really. The choice of using a LNT instead of a reductant along with SCR depends on the size of the engine. Ford and Kia use an LNT because their cars have engine sizes around 1.5 litres.

There is nothing like this.
Thank you AMG Power for the clarification and corrections.
Cheers
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 19:59   #27
sgm
BHPian

Mercedes Me adaptor

Completed the first free check up. For 2019 sold
cars, Mercedes is giving a Mercedes Me adaptor for free as part of making them connected cars. This gives some of the connected car features offered by MBUX available with newly introduced GLC and GLE.
It gives you updates like fuel level, battery voltage, trip details, booking service etc. The most useful feature that I find is, when you activate navigation in the MID , it can pull the details and show the next turn.

The next turn detail by Google map is shown in MID
My 2019 Mercedes C220d, the comfy star-polish_20200201_194518824.jpg

If your center screen is not showing map due to proximity to another vehicle, MID can still show it.
My 2019 Mercedes C220d, the comfy star-polish_20200201_194459170.jpg

Mercedes Me application has many options
My 2019 Mercedes C220d, the comfy star-screenshot_20200201195432.png
sgm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 19:01   #28
BHPian

Thanks for the straight forward and practical review. And congrats on the delightful new car!

I realized that a Mercedes is a Mercedes is a Mercedes when I was looking for a car to upgrade from my Honda City. The used 320d and A3 I test drove didn't feel like that big of an upgrade (especially because of the turbo lags) but when I test drove a new GLC, I was surprised at just how much more comfortable and premium it was.

Last edited by evil_grin : 4th February 2020 at 19:17.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 17:10   #29
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Me adaptor

Quote:
Completed the first free check up. For 2019 sold
cars, Mercedes is giving a Mercedes Me adaptor for free as part of making them connected cars. This gives some of the connected car features offered by MBUX available with newly introduced GLC and GLE.
It gives you updates like fuel level, battery voltage, trip details, booking service etc. The most useful feature that I find is, when you activate navigation in the MID , it can pull the details and show the next turn.
Sounds interesting. Thought Mercedes Me is an inbuilt system. Could you share more info on that adapter that enabled this feature for you ? Thanks.
RajeevMD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 18:15   #30
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Me adaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevMD View Post
Sounds interesting. Thought Mercedes Me is an inbuilt system. Could you share more info on that adapter that enabled this feature for you ? Thanks.
It's just like the OBD 2 adapter - ELM 327. You can connect it to the app on the phone and get vehicle data, etc. I like the ELM 327 and torque better.
Good point, i will check on the GLC and report back to the forum.
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks