Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 15:57   #31
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post
How is Bodmo? Some say with them, you are into the flames from the pan.I do my polo with an FNG but when I need a major replacement I am with the flogger again. The wounds and more importantly,the scars are indelible.
So far my experience with Boodmo has been great. Yes, their delivery experience is not like what we get from amazon and flipkart. The product delivery dates can vary from a minimum of 5 days to 15 days. But yes, the replacement period is 10 days from the date of delivery.

Since the past 1 year, the free deliveries have increased. So, I always keep an eye out for the products I need before hand.

I have ordered only OEM spares.
Old 25th December 2022, 00:40   #32
BHPian

Re: My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth_enzo View Post
I live in Valsad and the ASC's in our area really suck. When it comes to FNG's, after years of hunt, I've finally found one who runs a workshop in Valsad. He's an Automobile Engineer by profession and he really knows what he does. My Honda City I-Dtec has been extensively pampered by him.
Hey parth_enzo! Could you share his details please? It would be a great help for me or anyone from Valsad if this guy is really good. My friend's Polo TDI in Valsad too needs a service. Would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
Hey parth_enzo! Could you share his details please? It would be a great help for me or anyone from Valsad if this guy is really good. My friend's Polo TDI in Valsad too needs a service. Would really appreciate it. Thanks!
He runs his workshop in the name of "The Motoring Lovestory" situated in Kosamba, Valsad. His contact number is +91 8460799847. Give him my reference and the rest he'll take care.
Old 11th October 2023, 02:17   #34
BHPian

Hey again everyone!

The current ODO stands strong at 165000 kms just as the car does.

Just like last year, this year also my running was less and therefore I delayed the service by another six months.

The car had seen just 7500 kms post last service and it had been almost 1 year and 4 months.

Why am I so particular about getting the car serviced even though I see less running when the recommended interval is 15000 kms?

The only reason is the Continental Injectors. Yes. The only thing protecting my injectors from failing are the three crucial steps I follow:
  1. 1. Cold start idling (2-3 mins) in the morning. I have been witnessing slight misfires during the cold starts since 2020. Once the engine settles into a nice rhythm which generally takes around 2 mins in summers and around 3-4 mins in winters, then only I move the vehicle.

2. 2. Usage of Injector cleaners such as Iftex System D (found Online and on BPCL Pumps), Addon D (found on IOCL pump outlets), and Liqui Moly Super diesel additive (found online).

Its use has surely elongated the life of the injectors. I can vouch for this. Especially recommend the Iftex System D. The combustion is better. The engine note is smooth. And the mileage increases by 1 KMPL.

3. 3. Religious and timely change of diesel filters. Although the diesel filters are designed to run for 15000 kms, I make sure the filters are changed at every service and I only use VAG OEM Spec for 1.6 TDI.

I am sure there would have been numerous cases where my methodology might not suit everyone, but this is based purely on my experience and research.

Coming to the service, the things I changed are as follows.
  1. Engine Oil: Motul X-cess 8100 5w40 5 Litre Jar (Got it at a great deal of Rs. 3540)
  2. Air Filter
  3. Oil Filter
  4. Diesel Filter
  5. Cabin Filter

All other parts except engine oil were sourced from Saral Trading LLC(Mob No: 9324981981) based out of Mumbai.

For some reason on Boodmo, VAG parts are either out of stock, the delivery is too late or the delivery charges are too exorbitant.

I had taken 4 ABS sensors previously from Saral Trading for my friend's Polo. I got ATE original ones for 1500 bucks a piece whereas VW was charging 4000 for one. This was in 2021. Since then he has gotten no error on the dash and the sensors are working fine.

Post this purchase, I got my service-related parts from him. The parts received were original and in VW packaging.

If anyone looking for VAG parts can speak to him once if he can arrange them for you. This person has good reviews across various online forums. I did my due diligence before ordering from him and many people recommended him too. Disclaimer: I am nowhere associated with Saral Trading LLC and I am just posting my experience only.

Air Filter Holder/hook Breaking
Saral Trading offered me the Localised make Lumax one (Rs. 270) and another of OE german make (Rs. 550).

I ordered the OE german make.

I really wish I had taken some pictures to show the German Air Filter.

All I can say is that visibly there was not much difference in the quality. But this one does feel like the engine breathes easily now.

While changing the old Lumax Filter, I noticed that the internal side of the air filter and air plumbing had dust particles. Thats why Please ignore the 15000 kms service interval. It will surely kill your engine.

While installing the new air filter, I broke the one of the 3 holders. This happened in the first attempt itself. This never happened when I was installing the Lumax one where I tried to install that infinite times and never failed even after that.

The trick is to first firmly press the air filter towards the housing and then rotate it. It will easily glide through.

So, for the broken Air filter holder, I used FEVIBOND and repaired the joint. I have checked it twice after installing and the bond is firm and is nowhere on the verge of breaking. FEVIBOND is an industrial glue but a hell of a lifesaver in household uses as well.
Oil Filter
Saral Trading again offered me two options. One was obviously the OE make and the second one was of Steinerhoff Germany. Price was the same for both of them. Went for the German one. Found the quality to be decent.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img20230829wa0006.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230829_181633386.jpg
Cabin Filter
Last time I used OE VW make charcoal based cabin filter. It had only costed me around 400 rupees.

This time the same product retailed for more than a 1000 rupees.

I ordered the normal paper based one for 450 rupees.
Michelin XM2 Tyre Review
I got these tyres while I bought the car and they have served me really well. Even after around 60000 kms of driving and being around 7 years old. The tyres still had around 40 percent tread life left.

It was just because these tyres had started to develop cracks that it was crucial for me to change the tyres.

The tyres were soft, silent and gripped the road like none other. The tyres never left their line even while cornering and suddent lange changes.

In the complete span of 5 years and 60000 kms, I faced only one puncture. Maybe I was lucky but the tyres did serve me well.

The tyres gripped the road like leech even on their last day.

Massive respect.

100 percent recommended if the price suits. (There have been complaints of sidewall rupturing during high-speed pothole encounters. I also did encounter touchwood nothing happened).

I changed the tyres to MRF Perfinza. Upgraded from 185/60 R15 to 195/60 R15. More about that in the next post.
Link Rods changed after 8000 kms
I was shocked to hear the clunking sound again after investing so much time and money during the last service.

It were the link rods again.

I went for the same after market brand. This time it costed me around 1200 rupees a pair. OEM ones were for 5000 a pair.

Thanks but No thanks Volkswagen, I'll change my link rods at every service. Hardly a 15 min job.
CONCLUSION ABOUT THE CAR 165000 kms!

I was contemplating selling the car as I felt this sudden urge to upgrade to Jetta with the mighty 2.0 CR TDI engine. Everyone knows what that engine is capable of even after a simple remap.

But I controlled my emotions and thought about the following points:
  1. Jetta 2.0 TDI would be a hoot to drive. NO DOUBT! But everything comes at a cost. The maintenance would be higher. Sourcing of parts would be difficult.
    My beloved Vento till date has only asked for those parts to be replaced that are of age or have worn off because of use. There has been no expense that has happened out of the blue and was not expected.

TOUCHWOOD!

2. Parts availability for the Polo/Vento is much better than that of the Jetta. My experience with the ASC has not been good and therefore I did not want to be at their mercy at all. I have never felt troubled while sourcing parts for the Vento.

3. I have got excessively emotionally invested in the car and have shed my blood and sweat behind maintaining this vehicle. I could not bear the sight if the new owner would not do the same and does not treat her well post my selling.

4. Since the ODO is high, no one would pay the price I am expecting, even though she drives like a dream and returns an awesome FE of 27 KMPL (on MID) during my early morning Mumbai runs.

5. Selling a 2013 Vento and buying a 2013-14 Jetta would not make financial sense. I am going through a rough phase squeezing the Jetta in would not be the right decision.

To conclude, after upgrading the tyres to the MRF Perfinza, she has become more comfortable to drive due to the higher profile size.

Vento even in today's date has a lot to offer in terms of Practicality, driving dynamics, proven safety and financially too.

Even after a simple waterless wash, no matter how dirty she is, she shines and does not from anywhere look like a 10 year old car and one which has been driven for 165000 kms.

Looking long term, I plan to surely keep it till 2028 which is the last till its RC is valid. Will surely renew if rules allow then till 2033. And then would splurge into something much better in 2033.

Signing off with some pictures.

Before waterless wash

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230902_211630700.jpg

After waterless wash. Used only 2 litres of water. (Used proklear waterless wash from Amazon)

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230623_203051140.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230623_204153450.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230623_204219545.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230711_180102806.jpg

A different Rakhi this year!

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230831_225550657.jpg
gaurav.kokra is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 02:58   #35
BHPian

Review of the MRF Perfinza 195/60 R15 Tyres

The stock size was 185/60R15

The old Michelin tyres were showing signs of cracking. Although they had decent tread life left in them, I did not want to take the risk of running the same tyres.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230925_180753963.jpg

Hence, a change was necessary.

I had kept a strict budget of 22k with a max stretch of 25k if there was no other option.

My initial inclination was towards the MRF ZSport in the 205/55 R 15 variant as this would give the desired stance I wanted by installing wider tyres plus there would not be much speedometer error from 185/60 R15.

But this tyre size would result in reduced acceleration due to higher friction of wider tyres and the bone-jarring stiff ride of the old 185/60 R15 would still be there.

The stock size sidewall was very less and the ride quality on bad roads was pathetic. The car would throw us around even if we crossed the potholes at a slightly higher speed.

I really really wanted the wider stance but the above logic made me play safe.

I finally decided on the tyre size to be 195/60 R15. Neither too wide nor the acceleration of the car would be affected. And due to higher sidewall thickness, the ride would become more comfortable.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230925_182114950.jpg

I would like to point out that Vento 1.6 TDI would just explode in the 2nd and 3rd gears like a rocket has been ignited from the boot on the stock size. For enthusiasts with stock map, this was the perfect tyre size.

After installing the tyres, I was in for a surprise.

Ride Quality

The ride quality was as if I was driving on mattresses. Such was the difference because I was coming from the very bone-jarring ride.

The ride quality in pot holes has become a lot more comfortable and and the car does not throw us around anymore. We can tackle the potholes with a slight less worry and slight more speed and confidence.

I can no longer feel the expansion joints which previously used to feel like a hammer hitting the suspensions.

Driving Dynamics

The downside is that the high speed stability, sudden lane changes, and cornering have taken a hit. Not by much though. I would like to say that the sharpness has gone. Mind you, the car is still stable and fun to drive.

Acceleration

Initially, I was saddened that the insane acceleration was lost. I was preparing to live with it. Slowly, as I started covering more kilometers and the initial run-in period was over (say after 500 kms), the tyres have kept the enthusiast in me happy. Yes, the engine struggles a bit to push but the shooting acceleration is still present. (Although slightly muffled)

Grip Levels

There is no difference at all in the grip levels between Michelin XM2 and MRF perfinzas. They are confidence-inspiring and make you feel safe.

Pricing

I got these tyres at a price of 5800 rupees per tyre inclusive of alignment and balancing. Rs. 400 were charged for weights.

How I came to this decision?

I read numerous reviews about all the tyres. Be it the continentals, Yokohamas and MRFs. I had decided to go only with these 3 brands.

The most positive reviews I read about were the Continental UC6 and the MRF Perfinzas. For the continentals, I had to stretch my budget to 25k which I did not want.

MRF Perfinza reviews(even on Team-BHP our forum) were very very reassuring and the price at which I got them was the best value I could get for the money I spent.

The only thing I like to point out for people going for these tyres is that MRF only provides Manufacturing warranty problems and no other. While Continental was offering an unconditional warranty on tyres for 2 years.

Conclusion

For the money you get these tyres at, it is a no-brainer. They offer almost everything a tyre should offer at a very competitive price.

The only grouse is that they only provide warranty against manufacturing defects.

If anyone is going for a tyre change, you should consider these tyres once. Read about them. Then make your decision accordingly.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230925_180624767.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230925_183703843.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230925_183212653.jpg

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-img_20230926_182326363.jpg
gaurav.kokra is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 20:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
All other parts except engine oil were sourced from Saral Trading LLC(Mob No: 9324981981) based out of Mumbai.
Great to see your car thriving! While each owner may buy parts from whichever seller, site, portal of their choice, having a good quality part is instrumental in maintaining a long life of your engine. It doesn't matter if it is an original VW part, or a quality aftermarket part, but it needs to be a part from a reputable manufacturer and a reputable source. Globally, there is a tighter quality control over OEM equivalent parts, but this isn't the case in India. Unfortunately, we have lot of cheap, Chinese rebranded parts circulating around. There have also been instances of fake FEBI parts emerging from Kashmere Gate, Delhi

I first heard of Steinerhoff a few years back from Saral Trading, when I was enquiring about Engine and Gearbox Mounts for my Jetta. A quick background check revealed that it is a bogus brand with no real manufacturing or substantial proof of quality. Tracing the WHOIS server took me back to China. I reference your part box picture again. Merely stamping or having a printed OE part number does not make a spare an original spare.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-screenshot-20231011-7.51.53-am.png

In fact, to double check on how things are today, feel free to visit steinerhoff.com. This is where it took me to. Sure, there are instances of fake part companies even making fake websites, but there's a limit to being able to put up the fake show.

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-screenshot-20231011-7.52.15-am.png

While Boodmo might have availability issues, they have never had instances of sending customers fake parts. Their original parts, in my experience, have always been original, beyond doubt. I'd always be comfortable spending a little more to buy a genuine or reputed spare. As the old saying goes, "Buy it nice, or buy it twice."

My pre-worshipped Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline | Ownership Review | EDIT: 157500 km update-screenshot-20231011-7.57.51-am.png

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2023 at 08:26. Reason: Please avoid quoting the full post
fluidicjoy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 21:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
In fact, to double check on how things are today, feel free to visit steinerhoff.com. This is where it took me to. Sure, there are instances of fake part companies even making fake websites, but there's a limit to being able to put up the fake show.
Thank you fluidicjoy for bringing out the complete biodata of Steinerhoff.

Initially, I did give a thought that how is an imported part being able to compete with a locally manufactured product in terms of pricing.

Seeing a mere 500 rupees worth of trying, I went ahead with Steinerhoff. And yes, they have other parts on sale too.

Will change my oil filter again

This is why sharing is important. I hope when someone searches about this brand on our forum, this thread can surely be an eye opener for many.
gaurav.kokra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 04:46   #38
Team-BHP Support

Look at the language - “Not available for direct sales in shops.For Authorised….”

Look at spacing and language

Definitely not legit.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 05:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just like last year, this year also my running was less and therefore I delayed the service by another six months.

The car had seen just 7500 kms post last service and it had been almost 1 year and 4 months.

Why am I so particular about getting the car serviced even though I see less running when the recommended interval is 15000 kms?

The only reason is the Continental Injectors. Yes. The only thing protecting my injectors from failing are the three crucial steps I follow:
Thanks for sharing such a detailed write up

Out of my curiosity - Shouldn't the service be carried out at regular interval, say yearly, at least basic like oil change etc even if running is less?
Old 13th October 2023, 10:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Thanks for sharing such a detailed write up

Out of my curiosity - Shouldn't the service be carried out at regular interval, say yearly, at least basic like oil change etc even if running is less?
Yes. Ideally it should happen. But nothing happens to the engine oil if the running is less and the time has increased more than a year.

The shelf life itself for engine oils is not specified by many manufacturers.

Extending service period by a few months will not take a toll but extending service period by a few thousand kilometres shall surely stress out the components.

Also, my major running is on the highway. So my engine already runs under very less stress. So extending the service interval by a few months will surely not affect anything.

Also I believe these are some gimmicks played by the ASCs for ensuring regular business through customers.

For example, Mahindra's fuel filter has a replacement period of 40000 kms.

Another example, is where many ASCs just clean the air filter and cabin filter and put them back making the interval change maybe 20000 kms or more.

Thirdly, apart from VW, I have not seen any company asking to replace fuel filter at every service interval. I replace for my peace of mind because of the known problematic continental injectors.

So it all depends about how companies play with people's mindset.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks