Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 18:08   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Volvo XC40

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...And I have often wondered what that means..
+1.

I've often wondered what 'enthusiast' means. Not everyone drives for the same reasons, not everyone enjoys the same aspects of automotive engineering, so why box people into categories?

For me, people enjoying a track day at the Buddh International Circuit are as much an enthusiast as our in-house humorist Secretariat enjoying Life in the slow lane, at 20 kmph on his bicycle. Wheels turn and take us places, or in circles, who cares as long as we enjoy the experience?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th January 2020 at 18:09.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

The biggest weakness of this car is that bolt upright rear seat. Why they didn't recline it a bit at the expense of boot space, I'll never know.

Barring that, it's a wonderful machine for those who want luxury in a small package.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
+1.

I've often wondered what 'enthusiast' means. Not everyone drives for the same reasons, not everyone enjoys the same aspects of automotive engineering, so why box people into categories?

For me, people enjoying a track day at the Buddh International Circuit are as much an enthusiast as our in-house humorist Secretariat enjoying Life in the slow lane, at 20 kmph on his bicycle. Wheels turn and take us places, or in circles, who cares as long as we enjoy the experience?
Let me clarify the statement I made earlier. For me a car should be quick and responsive, from the review that I had seen, I heard that when you want to step on it the car does take some time. So, for me, a car that has quick acceleration and a great mid range is an enthusiasts car (this is my point of view which a lot of people may not agree to). I do understand that it is practically impossible and not even safe to do speeds.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to all of this but I'm always to learning any kind of new knowledge.
Old 28th January 2020, 20:24   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
...for me, a car that has quick acceleration and a great mid range is an enthusiasts car...
It's admittedly not the fastest motor or slickest-shifting gearbox out there, but the combination is definitely smooth and responsive on the move. The gearbox downshifts aggressively if you step on the gas, and the motor's mid-range is really punchy. Shifts aren't DCT-esque, but aren't slow either.

The only real point of struggle, as Jaggu mentioned in the review, was a standing start uphill climb where the autobox struggled for a second or two.

Try it yourself, this car is a classic example of numbers not telling the full story.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Very well said.

All, I often mind members of T-BHP bemoaning about a car not being an enthusiasts car. And I have often wondered what that means. I mean where in India does one drive like an enthusiast on a regular basis? Even on the new broad highways you have to be thoughtful and drive defensively what with idiots and cattle.
I believe an enthusiast's car is one that even if you can't really fully exploit the capabilities of on a daily basis, you still enjoy the feeling of knowing that it can put a huge grin on your face when given the opportunity and whenever the opportunity arises even for short durations you do so with a smile
dealer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:11   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
I believe an enthusiast's car is one that even if you can't really fully exploit the capabilities of on a daily basis, you still enjoy the feeling of knowing that it can put a huge grin on your face when given the opportunity and whenever the opportunity arises even for short durations you do so with a smile
I think I'm getting old. When I was 22 I thought my Lambretta was a drivers two-wheeler
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's admittedly not the fastest motor or slickest-shifting gearbox out there, but the combination is definitely smooth and responsive on the move. The gearbox downshifts aggressively if you step on the gas, and the motor's mid-range is really punchy. Shifts aren't DCT-esque, but aren't slow either.
Test drove the XC40 Petrol yesterday and I would echo what you have said. The downshifts are no doubt aggressive if you step on the gas even in the comfort mode.

Quote:
The only real point of struggle, as Jaggu mentioned in the review, was a standing start uphill climb where the autobox struggled for a second or two.
I did not face this problem. In fact the auto hold held the car in the position without any brake input and we moved ahead as soon as I pressed the gas. Much like Hill Hold.

Some observations from the TD :

Driving modes : The difference between the Comfort mode & Dynamic mode is not phenomenal. In GLA if you shift to sports mode from comfort you feel the difference quite a bit. It downshifts aggressively & maintains 3k revs. Volvo was quite sedate.

Looks : Looks good and higher than GLA. The rear looks great. The interiors again are very average. Wish it looked more premium from the inside.

Active Cruise Control : This works like a charm, in fact it is amazing. I had put the car on cruise at 70on an open road. As soon as we reached a little congested area with some slower cars ahead ,the Volvo slowed down automatically to match the speed with that of the car ahead and then accelerated when the road was clear. Came to a dead stop automatically on a red light behind a Polo.

Offroad mode : Since this is a 2WD, I was not sure what this mode would do. This is basically for rough road. The car remains locked in 1 or 2 gear and the suspension firms up to avoid underbelly scrapping.

Some pictures (apologies for the bad quality)

Driven: Volvo XC40-front.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-rear.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-steering.jpg

With my Duster AWD

Driven: Volvo XC40-duster.jpg
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 02:29   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
Hi,

I recently had the opportunity to test drive and check out the XC40 in Mumbai. We were considering an entry-level luxury car for the first time. The shortlisted ones were X1, XC40 and Skoda Kodiaq.
Hi! I am planning to buy a X1 too! Could you please guide me on how to negotiate and get hold of such a high discount?
I am from Kolkata and here the dealer isn't offering much at all

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th March 2021 at 03:04. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
Old 24th March 2021, 12:24   #84
BHPian

Hi, my friend is considering XC40. He is located in Pune and wants to know about Volvo dealer and service experience from the existing owners. Please message me if you have any leads.
Old 4th February 2022, 21:05   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo XC40 Facelift 2022:

Driven: Volvo XC40-volvoxc40facelift20222022846981643974296_1.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-volvoxc40facelift20222022846981643974302_7.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-volvoxc40facelift20222022846981643974298_3.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-volvoxc40facelift20222022846981643974304_9.jpg

Quote:
The main changes are located in the front, where the shape of the headlights changes adopting the same design as those presented by the sportiest electric "brother", the C40 Recharge. The optical groups clearly stand out for a new graphic signature of the LED daylight, also changing the internal design of the grille. The characteristic vertical bars are maintained but adopt a double style, also softening their edges. The XC40 Recharge will retain the panel that covers the front.

In addition, the front bumper also receives a new style, with a redesigned lower air intake and with new decorative sconces on the sides. At the rear, the updated SUV also receives improvements, especially in the vertical pilots with a new luminous graphic. Volvo will also offer new colour
Quote:
Inside, Volvo will not change the overall design of the dashboard, but it will work the materials betting on a higher quality, and introducing novelties in the multimedia system based on "Android Auto" technology. A new, faster interface and new connectivity apps will be the highlights, along with an arsenal of driving assistants. The Swedes will also tweak the engine range, with a more efficient approach to all of them, bringing the first units to European dealers from May.
Link
Old 4th March 2022, 18:00   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo quietly revealed the update on European retail sites, but now the Chinese-owned Swedish carmaker has confirmed that the XC40 Recharge receives a frameless grille, revised LED Thor’s Hammer lights with adaptive technology, and a new bumper to bring the styling closer to the newer C40’s.

Volvo has also added a premium leather-free upholstery option in the XC40 Recharge, plus new paint colors and alloy wheel designs.

Quote:
Prices for the new single-motor C40, and its availability in the U.S., are TBC, but first UK deliveries are expected in fall 2022, by which time the XC40 Recharge facelift and other model updates should be rolled out around the globe. Those updates include changes to the equipment levels and option availability for all Volvo cars, which the company says will simplify the order process and increase price transparency.

Driven: Volvo XC40-2022volvoxc40recharge00001.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-2022volvoxc40recharge00003.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-2022volvoxc40recharge00002.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-2022volvoc4000003.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-2022volvoc4000002.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC40-2022volvoc4000001.jpg

Link
Old 22nd March 2022, 12:49   #87
BHPian

So I test drove the XC40 today as every other car in my bucket either has a long waiting list or unknown waiting period. I was primarily interested in the S60 but they did not have a TD car, so they got the XC40 for TD. So here is my feedback.
  • Fantastic safety features - lane assist, ADAS, but no 360 deg camera
  • Lovely music system
  • Cabin sound insulation was decent
  • Good thigh support in the front
  • I felt the seat cushioning was just about right
  • Ride was flat and sorted at 100 Kmph, the ballpark I typically cruise on the highway
  • I was able to park it in my tight parking spot (a huge plus compared to others that I have TDd in this price bracket)
  • Looks smallish in comparison to peers, styling is slightly quirky for my personal taste
  • Though the engine has similar specs to the 2.0 TSI from the VAG group, it feels a wee bit underpowered in comparison.
  • The gearbox is a bit lazy and its evident when you press down the a-pedal
  • Like the all black interiors. Its good but doesn't stand out as premium.
  • The engine has a throaty growl even at lower speeds. I would loved that it be a bit more muted at lower speeds
  • The XC40 is not something you can throw around in the corners, your passengers will complaint loudly, heck I was uncomfortable in the drivers seat
  • Below average thigh support in the rear seat. A 6 footer is bound to be uncomfortable for anything more than a city drive

Folks in Bangalore, can you please share your feedback about your experience with the dealership and service. If someone can share about their S60 specifically or point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Last edited by SR-71 : 22nd March 2022 at 12:58.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 05:04   #88
BHPian

I am too considering to upgrade my car to any of the entry level luxury SUVs. Volvo XC40 remains the first choice. I hope it is not very costly to maintain.

I am currently driving a Hyundai Creta 2020 (Diesel Automatic). I think all of things an XC40 has to offer would be an upgrade from Creta. I had a brief discussion with Gurgaon’s Volvo dealership. They are offering some discount on the XC40. Also, there is a normal waiting time. If I get a decent offer on the Creta, the XC40 would be home very soon.
zepp1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 17:08   #89

Rude Behaviour - Automobile Sales Staff

A close of friend of my sent me a message that a Volvo XC40 DEMO Feb 2022 car is up for sale. The asking price of it was 5Lakhs lesser than a brand new car on road.

Off course, I assumed the List price of 50L OTR was indeed list price and asked the sales rep to reach out to me, hoping to get a better price.

Well I was in for a rude shock. The sales Manager was not ready to drop the price. Fair enough, but the approach and the tone used was not.

"Who will give it you lesser than the asking price"

"Why will anyone sell a 2022 model"

"That's the final price sir. If you want it, take it, else leave it. There is nothing we can do"

Slams Phone.

FYI,
Very clearly the sales rep said that this demo car is a BAIT to upsell the new car. It is a lead generation tool and hence the pricing is so close to a brand new car OTR.

I found this tactic to be extremely misleading and unethical.

I always wanted to own a Volvo and was evaluating the same for more than a year, but I think I am going to be staying clear from the brand from a mile.
Infurion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 10:57   #90
BHPian

Re: Rude Behaviour - Automobile Sales Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infurion View Post
A close of friend of my sent me a message that a Volvo XC40 DEMO Feb 2022 car is up for sale. The asking price of it was 5Lakhs lesser than a brand new car on road.

Off course, I assumed the List price of 50L OTR was indeed list price and asked the sales rep to reach out to me, hoping to get a better price.

Well I was in for a rude shock. The sales Manager was not ready to drop the price. Fair enough, but the approach and the tone used was not.

"Who will give it you lesser than the asking price"

"Why will anyone sell a 2022 model"

"That's the final price sir. If you want it, take it, else leave it. There is nothing we can do"

Slams Phone.

FYI,
Very clearly the sales rep said that this demo car is a BAIT to upsell the new car. It is a lead generation tool and hence the pricing is so close to a brand new car OTR.

I found this tactic to be extremely misleading and unethical.

I always wanted to own a Volvo and was evaluating the same for more than a year, but I think I am going to be staying clear from the brand from a mile.
That is just sad and unfair. We here in Ahmedabad visited an Mercedes-Benz show room to check out the GLA 220d 4-Matic and our experience was quiet good apart from the sales agent didn't have all info about vehicle warranty. Nonetheless the SA was very polite and helpful.

Coming to the point there was also a GLA 35 AMG sitting in the showroom which was a demo model and had about 3300KMs on the odo. SA also recommended it to us and told us that the on-road price is 60Lacs on road which costs around 66.5Lacs if bought brand new. Felt like a good deal and we also felt like we can further negotiate on that price.

Still thinking between Mercedes, Volvo, and other VFM models like Tiguan or Tuscon and Considering the interaction with the SA in person or on phone, Mercedes-Benz was the best till now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks