Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 00:11   #61
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!

Congratulations! It makes me happy to see such a car actually being used and enjoyed to the fullest. This is a true hot hatch that combines exhilarating performance with everyday practicality; something that's obviously suiting you well.

Quick question, how's your engine doing with regard to carbon buildup? Just wanted to gauge the effectiveness of port injection in conjunction with direct injection. I assume you've been giving it an Italian tuneup once in a while, which supposedly helps due to the fuel flowing over the valves.

Wishing you many more pleasurable miles and will be looking forward to future updates.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 29th September 2022 at 00:15.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 20:26   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoloDriver View Post

32k kms are a lot for a car that is seen as more of a "weekend car".
This question might seem a bit weird but has your GTI picked up any "battle scars" during all those 32000 kms? If I had a GTI, I don't think I'd be driving it this much just because I'd be too scared to take it out on our roads.
Thank you.

Well, actually, she is my daily car for office commute and all local work. Running has been low due lockdown, work from home, etc. And also due to the fact that for long distance road trips, other car gets used due to more space. But GTI has quite a few battle scars and many of them have been inflicted by the kids in the society! So can't help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post

Quick question, how's your engine doing with regard to carbon buildup? Just wanted to gauge the effectiveness of port injection in conjunction with direct injection. I assume you've been giving it an Italian tuneup once in a while, which supposedly helps due to the fuel flowing over the valves.

Wishing you many more pleasurable miles and will be looking forward to future updates.
Thank you.

Yes, there is black powder in the exhaust, I have seen this in my 1.8 TSI Laura as well. However, that car had 1st gen EA888 with only direct injection. GTI has 3rd gen which uses port + direct injection. The black soot in exhaust is not fully abscent in GTI but there is no oil consumption so I would say the "port + direct" combination has made some improvements. Laura had quite a lot of oil consumption.
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 23:35   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

GTI turned 5 today!

Time flies...it was 5 years ago this day that she came home!
And what a fun she has been...

She hasn't done as many cross country trips as she should have (blame it on the 3) but she has been my running buddy. I take her to all my practice runs and marathons in the nearby hills, she loves the ghats just as much as I do.

Some photos from a recent hill run, normally I park her at the base and run up and down, this time, I parked her at the top and ran down and up.
VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-img_20221230_132103.jpg

VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-img_20221230_132220.jpg

VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-img_20221230_132642.jpg

Sometime during this drive, ODO crossed 35k mark.
Still on original battery and brake pads/disks.

She hasn't needed anything other than routine service, except for the 3 nasty punctures due to massive potholes that led to a relatively early tyre change @17k mark (one of the original tyres was intact, I retained it as a spare) and rear right ABS sensor failure just 2 weeks ago which was replaced at the service center.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 15:20   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

An early morning click before heading out for a drive

VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-img_9356.jpg
anandpadhye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 18:38   #65

Hi Sir, were you driving today in Mumbai on WEH. I spotted a GTI while driving and I think it was yours.
Spotted around Malad and I was driving ahead or besides you in a Blue Baleno.

The acceleration of your car made me take a look & the GTI tag reassured things for me.

Wish you many more happy miles driving the red devil
Raj4322 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 08:38   #66
BHPian

@anand - What tyres are you using for the GTI?

We are currently running the original 215/45/16 setup. We are due for a change, the only 2 options available are the original tyre once again (Pricey @ 24k per tyre - 2019 Manufacturing date) or the PS4 205/50/16 (deviation of 2%) but with a 1.5 yr old production date.

Any other sizes that can be considered with the stock rim (without too much of a deviation). I love the stock stance with the 45 profile tyre, any leads to get better deals with a newer lot?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th June 2023, 19:23   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj4322 View Post
Hi Sir, were you driving today in Mumbai on WEH. I spotted a GTI while driving and I think it was yours.
Spotted around Malad and I was driving ahead or besides you in a Blue Baleno.

The acceleration of your car made me take a look & the GTI tag reassured things for me.

Wish you many more happy miles driving the red devil
Thank you
Yes it could have been me as I keep going to that part of Mumbai.

And apologies for a late reply, somehow missed your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
@anand - What tyres are you using for the GTI?

We are currently running the original 215/45/16 setup. We are due for a change, the only 2 options available are the original tyre once again (Pricey @ 24k per tyre - 2019 Manufacturing date) or the PS4 205/50/16 (deviation of 2%) but with a 1.5 yr old production date.

Apologies for a late reply, somehow missed your post until now.

Yes, I also love stock profile and looks. Sadly, being a rare size these are exorbitantly priced. 205/50R16 is the only other option I think on stock wheels. I got lucky when I got 4 tyres of stock size 3 years ago for @9000 each, recently, when I checked, I was told 18000/tyre. It's too much.

Mine have done 23000 km so I still have a few months to look for tyres but not sure scene will ever improve for this size.

Finding a good performance tyre in 205/50R16 is the best option we have. I love the stock alloys so I don't want to upsize to 17" - a size in which more options seem to be available.

Do let me know what you find.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 19:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thank you
Yes it could have been me as I keep going to that part of Mumbai.

And apologies for a late reply, somehow missed your post!

Apologies for a late reply, somehow missed your post until now.

Yes, I also love stock profile and looks. Sadly, being a rare size these are exorbitantly priced. 205/50R16 is the only other option I think on stock wheels. I got lucky when I got 4 tyres of stock size 3 years ago for @9000 each, recently, when I checked, I was told 18000/tyre. It's too much.

Mine have done 23000 km so I still have a few months to look for tyres but not sure scene will ever improve for this size.

Finding a good performance tyre in 205/50R16 is the best option we have. I love the stock alloys so I don't want to upsize to 17" - a size in which more options seem to be available.

Do let me know what you find.
Unfortunately I still haven't been able to find Michelin 205/50/16 in Mumbai. It seems to be sold out everywhere. The dealership increased the price to about 24k per tyre (215/45/16) a few months ago. They do have stock, but it is almost 2-3 years old. I don't think it makes sense to spend that much just because it's an odd size.

I still have about 5-6 months or 8k kms left on my current setup. Hopefully the Michelins will be available by then.
R.P.M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 20:29   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear right wheel speed sensor failure

@39000km mark, rear right wheel speed sensor failed and was replaced at the service center, total expense @8k (part, labour, taxes).

At first, when I called, I was told the sensor may not be in stock, scan will confirm which wheel sensor has failed, all 4 are distinct part numbers. I just drove to the service center and asked them to check. Scan revealed rear right - they confirmed it's not in stock as a loose item, but they have a kit of all 4 that I should buy as other 3 would also fail soon. I asked to speak to their Inventory person and asked him the ETA for the single sensor to arrive if ordered today, considering BMW took just 1 day to get the front left wheel speed sensor that failed on my 330i a few months ago and there was no such fuss about changing all 4 (may be because they were going to pay for it and not me thanks to BRI ) At this point, better sense prevailed and he agreed to "break open" the kit and sell me one out of the 4!

VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-pxl_20230818_1346235762.jpg
VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-pxl_20230818_1346536672.jpg

Since this, GTI has done 2000+ km and the other 3 sensors are fine. 330i has done @5000 km since the sensor replacement and other 3 on that car are fine too

For the records: wheel speed sensors never failed in the Laura 1.8 TSI in 8 years and 58000km of driving, neither did they fail in the Polo GT TSI in 4 years and 44000km of driving.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 13:52   #70

Re: Rear right wheel speed sensor failure

Quote:
@39000km mark, rear right wheel speed sensor failed and was replaced at the service center, total expense @8k (part, labour, taxes).
I have had lot of ordeal with wheel speed sensors on my Q3. Currently my Polo 1.2 GT TSI occasionally is showing up with sensor errors but they vanish randomly so I'm keeping my patience. However I feel the price you had paid are rather high. I change mine at third party workshops in Chennai/Nagercoil. Last time I changed at Track Automotive at Nagerkoil and they cost me Rs 2700 with proper OEM part and labour. Next time you can verify this at any third party vendor near you.

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st August 2023 at 14:39. Reason: Please avoid quoting the full post. Thank you!
abbyanish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:21   #71

I recently had the front right ABS sensor on my Jetta TDI 2.0 replaced. I usually take my car to a specialized FNG for VAG cars, and this time it cost me Rs 2000. They were kind enough to waive the labor charges probably because I've been a loyal customer for the past four years. To give an idea, I've replaced a total of 5 ABS sensors with them, and the cost has ranged from Rs 2000 to a max of Rs 2500. I'd recommend getting a quote from a trusted nearby FNG as well before heading to an ASC.
a4aravindg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 19:05   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rear right wheel speed sensor failure

Quote:
Ok, my bad, the cost was @5k.
Last week, rear left sensor went and this time I made it a point to note the price from the invoice:
VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-pxl_20240417_131618746.jpg

VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-pxl_20240417_130020650.jpg

Labour for sensor replacement was Rs. 85.
So total cost for replacing one sensor is @5300/-

Also, got the 6th annual oil change service done.
This is how the engine bay looks after 6 years, 3 months and 52900km on the ODO:
VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-pxl_20240417_024224988.jpg

Drool
VW Polo GTI - A dream come true!-pxl_20240417_024212657.portrait.jpg

Can't believe it's been 6 years. Time flies, just like the GTI...
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks