Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2024, 08:15   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7.5 years, 61,000 kms

Posting after quite a while. And must say I have bad news to report.

The 4 months after the last service were fairly innocuous. Due to the Ioniq 5 having entered our fleet, the flexibility of having two drivers in the family and some travel on work, the car added miles slowly.

I crossed the 60,000 km milestone in the middle of March, but had more travel in April and so was not using the car much. And then the problem struck.

I picked up the car from the parking valet at a hotel and found the AC was not working. After trying to switch it on a few times, I realised the problem was with the control unit since the same panel also controls the audio and that was not working too ( but the audio was controllable through iDrive and steering controls). I sent the car to Infinity who said it needs to go to the Turbhe workshop. After one week of trying to repair this by checking for blown fuses, loose contacts and trying software resets, they said the panel had to be replaced. The cost was in 6 figures - but I had no choice but to bite the bullet and pay up. Procuring the part took another week.

The car is back now and functioning ok but it does tell you the downside of having a luxury car which is out of warranty.

Last edited by Hayek : 2nd June 2024 at 08:21.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 11:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7.5 years, 61,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
.... car from the parking valet at a hotel and found the AC was not working...The cost was in 6 figures... downside of having a luxury car which is out of warranty.
Could it have been due to rat chew in the parking? I'm scared of giving keys to the valet so much, that I loathe going to the hotels which have only valet option for parking. Not saying they damaged as electronics can fail anytime, but they do fiddle with controls. I have noticed this both in Jimny (4H lever) and with auto-headlight in X3.

Since, the car is out of warranty, would sourcing from outside and get done at a FNG would have been cheaper? Does BMW service give warranty on the parts/work replaced/done though them? My X3 will be out of warranty in six months hence, a bit concerned.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 11:31   #93
Team-BHP Support

Re: Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7.5 years, 61,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Does BMW service give warranty on the parts/work replaced/done though them? My X3 will be out of warranty in six months hence, a bit concerned.
Yes. Any part replaced by BMW carries a 2 year warranty.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks