Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 22:55   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Lovely review team. Just 3 pages of comments seems to suggest that the GLC hasn't really garnered the kind of main stream interest like other models from the big 3 Germans.

I do think space saver inconvenience aside, the GLC is a perfectly sized vehicle for city and highway alike. If only the default power output could be a little more on the diesel that would be ideal.

Also, while it may not be branded run flat, I was under the impression even the mercedes tyres have similar tech that allow them to be used for a certain distance despite the flat. Is that not correct? Some comments seemed to suggest otherwise.
Old 21st July 2017, 11:48   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Folks, this thread seems to have dried up months ago. I am considering the new BMW 530i and the Mercedes GLC 300 4Matic now. I know these are different segments and cars but looking for a premium car experience in this price bracket and a strong petrol engine. Had enough of rough Diesels in the last many years! These two are very closely priced, the BMW at 49.9 Lacs and the GLC at 50.7 Lacs post GST.

Any insights from the estimated forum members on the performance, luxury feel, and long terms ownership costs and value retention of these two? From what I read so far, although the GLC's petrol engine looks very good on paper and the stats are great, real world performance seems to be poor, especially reviewing the previous comment here on pick up from standing start being terrible. The BMW is appealing because it is a brand new model globally and will state fresh for a good while, not to mention the claimed 6.2 second 0-100 time. However, a bit worried about taking the car on rough roads with the lower ground clearance and super long wheelbase.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st July 2017 at 11:53.
Old 21st July 2017, 12:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Folks, this thread seems to have dried up months ago. I am considering the new BMW 530i and the Mercedes GLC 300 4Matic now. I know these are different segments and cars but looking for a premium car experience in this price bracket and a strong petrol engine. Had enough of rough Diesels in the last many years! These two are very closely priced, the BMW at 49.9 Lacs and the GLC at 50.7 Lacs post GST.

Any insights from the estimated forum members on the performance, luxury feel, and long terms ownership costs and value retention of these two? From what I read so far, although the GLC's petrol engine looks very good on paper and the stats are great, real world performance seems to be poor, especially reviewing the previous comment here on pick up from standing start being terrible. The BMW is appealing because it is a brand new model globally and will state fresh for a good while, not to mention the claimed 6.2 second 0-100 time. However, a bit worried about taking the car on rough roads with the lower ground clearance and super long wheelbase.
I feel the BMW will be better in most aspects (handling, power, comfort, seat quality) and the only reason for choosing the GLC would be ruggedness and durability on bad Indian roads as well as additional boot space. Also the 5 series typically would be more prone to hydrostatic lock compared to an SUV, so that might be a consideration if you're going to be doing a lot of outstation trips.
ac-cobra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 12:15   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

The 5 series is the better buy without a doubt. Its brand new, has great performance, is fully loaded with features and is awesome to drive. The only reason to buy the GLC would be incase you need the clearance of an SUV. In which case you may also consider the X3 28i.

The 5 will not really scrape on rough roads, as long as you are careful while navigating. In whatever I've seen the F10 never really scraped anywhere, and now the G30 has an even better suspension setup so I doubt it will scrape unless someone is careless.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 21st July 2017 at 12:16.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 17:37   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Akshay and Cobra. I am going ahead and booking the 530i. The more I read of the GLC, it becomes clear some of its shortcomings. What most bothers me is the fact that the engine seems to lack low end grunt and has more turbo lag (except if it in the Sport+ mode, and I cannot use Sport + mode all the time) compared to the BMW petrol engine.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 21st July 2017 at 17:39.
Old 21st July 2017, 18:46   #51
BHPian

Hey 84.monsoon, good decision on the 5 series. But why not consider the 520d luxury line. It seems really well equipped with upgraded speakers, headlights, parking assist, new interior leather option, surround view camera, extra rear ac vents, wireless charging, and what not.
I do know petrol is petrol, but still something to consider.
Old 22nd July 2017, 00:29   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey 84.monsoon, good decision on the 5 series. But why not consider the 520d luxury line. It seems really well equipped with upgraded speakers, headlights, parking assist, new interior leather option, surround view camera, extra rear ac vents, wireless charging, and what not.
I do know petrol is petrol, but still something to consider.
Oh come on! The 250bhp petrol vs a 190bhp diesel? No features can make up for the better engine.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 13:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

So we just got delivery of our 2017 GLC 220d Sport yesterday and on checking out the car, I noticed two shocking features missing - No button inside to open the boot and No button on the remote to open the boot. One has to get out of the car and open the boot manually! Asked the sales guy and he said that there is no way to open the boot from inside the car or with the remote. Is this true?

I am still hoping that I have missed something here else this is a shame for a 65 lakh car!!!
Old 4th November 2017, 16:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So we just got delivery of our 2017 GLC 220d Sport yesterday and on checking out the car, I noticed two shocking features missing - No button inside to open the boot and No button on the remote to open the boot. One has to get out of the car and open the boot manually! Asked the sales guy and he said that there is no way to open the boot from inside the car or with the remote. Is this true?

I am still hoping that I have missed something here else this is a shame for a 65 lakh car!!!

Hey, called the sales manager whom I had interacted with at the time I bought my C250. He also confirmed that the boot release is not present on the GLC.

Guess you will have to live with it.:

The Official review car definitely had it.

Driven: Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class-imageuploadedbyteambhp1509793742.133410.jpg

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 4th November 2017 at 16:45.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 17:08   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Does it have the touchless boot opening mechanism similar to the Superb?
Old 4th November 2017, 20:10   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

Attachment 1692411
The cars that we drove were either Edition One or evaluation models brought prior to actual local assembly
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 20:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Hey, called the sales manager whom I had interacted with at the time I bought my C250. He also confirmed that the boot release is not present on the GLC.

Guess you will have to live with it.:

Yes it is ridiculous for a car costing 60 lakhs + on road to not have a basic feature like this. No boot release button on the key fob either. Hell! My Jetta costing 40% of the GLC's price has it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Does it have the touchless boot opening mechanism similar to the Superb?
Shockingly not that either!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 13:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

So I decided to check out the GLC's driving capabilities on the highway and for the first time took her t0 Igatpuri and back. My everyday cars are my beloved VW Polo 1.6 & VW Jetta 2.0 DSG and even though it may not be a fair/correct comparison, I will be comparing the experience with my Jetta which I usually use for outstation trips. My observations:

1. The GLC doesn't give you that confidence in high speed corners. The car has a bit of roll which I guess is a trait of an SUV.
2. The 'Sport Mode' of the GLC feels equal to the 'Regular Drive Mode' in the Jetta. The 'Sport + Mode' of the GLC feels equal to the 'Sport Mode' of the Jetta. In 'Comfort Mode' the GLC feels pretty lethargic.
3. I found the brakes of the GLC to not have that 'bite' as compared to that of the Jetta. It however seemed to have improved on switching to 'Sport Mode'. I don't know if this was my imagination or whether there is an actual change that occurs in the brake settings. There is however no change in steering feedback or ride.

Overall, I must admit that I did not really enjoy the drive as much as I expected to.

Regarding the LED headlights on the GLC. They are bright but have a very short throw as compared to HIDs on the Jetta. Definitely prefer the HIDs over LEDs.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th January 2018 at 19:23.
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 04:46   #59
R17
BHPian

Any ideas on how to deal with the spare wheel which kills the boot? Im thinking along the lines of a decent roof-bar/ roof-rail setup to hold the wheel perhaps.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Any ideas on how to deal with the spare wheel which kills the boot? Im thinking along the lines of a decent roof-bar/ roof-rail setup to hold the wheel perhaps.
Please don't do that

The car comes with MOE tyres which are basically runflats. I think you can keep the spare wheel away whenever you need to extra boot space. You shouldnt have a problem as run are quite reliable in that sense and won't really leave you stranded.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks