Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 23:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Diamond White Ford EcoSport Automatic joins the family - Case of 4th time lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
4. Else if If High-beam on then momentarily switch off high-beam when stalk is pulled.
It doesn't switch off high beam if the high beam is on to flash. In the Ecosport, does nothing when you pull the stalk.

In other cars it either switches off the high beam or it flashes the low beam if you are in high beam.
Old 9th April 2016, 07:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Diamond White Ford EcoSport Automatic joins the family - Case of 4th time lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In other cars it either switches off the high beam or it flashes the low beam if you are in high beam.
Which cars, pls ? I havent seen this feature. And even otherwise, it cannot be a quirk. The feature you are refering to would be a relatively recent introduction. Traditionally, what we see here is the things have always been.
Old 9th April 2016, 09:42   #18
P21
BHPian

Hello Rajeev,

I was looking for an Ecosport AT review and here it is at a right time for me. Crisp and comprehensive presentation covers all the required field except for the FE. Did you check FE on the long runs and on city?

P21
Old 9th April 2016, 12:46   #19
BHPian

Congrats Rajeev,

This review has cleared a couple of queries I had regarding the car. Thank you. Can't help but feel bad for the VW SA.
The DRL's look stunning and not after market-ish. Now that's one thing other manufacturers should look into and improve upon.
Old 9th April 2016, 14:21   #20
BHPian

Hey,

I test drove the EcoSport AT two hours ago, and while I liked it for the most part, I found one glaring problem. There was a jerking in first gear, when taking off from standstill. I don't know if it was because Metro Ford's TD EcoSport is in bad condition, I'm hoping it is. Have you faced this issue?
Old 10th April 2016, 10:39   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Hello Rajeev,

I was looking for an Ecosport AT review and here it is at a right time for me. Crisp and comprehensive presentation covers all the required field except for the FE. Did you check FE on the long runs and on city?

P21
The car did one ~750km round trip on a 2 lane traffic heavy highway with a ghat section and hilly area roads. FE was ~12.5 for this run. In City will update soon. No clear number yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Hey,

I test drove the EcoSport AT two hours ago, and while I liked it for the most part, I found one glaring problem. There was a jerking in first gear, when taking off from standstill. I don't know if it was because Metro Ford's TD EcoSport is in bad condition, I'm hoping it is. Have you faced this issue?
Could this be this scenario that I had mentioned.

Quote:
The short surge scenario: One you take the leg of the brake and give a prod on the accelerator, sometimes instead of gradually moving ahead, there is a quick surge. It is as if you would expect the car to be in 2nd gear, but it decides to hang on to the first gear. I noticed the same behavior when I drove the Aspire also. You get used to it, but a little bit of a bother in tight situations.
Did not notice any other kind of jerking. Could be due to poor condition of the TD Vehicle. I had TD'ed the Ecoboost from Elite FOrd and the car was in very poor condition. I think the TD vehicles of these dealers are from the 2013 launch era.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Hey,

I own an AT (my wife's car). I noticed this jerking - especially when going from 1->2 and 2->3. Was able to reproduce the problem when in manual mode (S). Took it to service, they did some tests/diagnostics etc; seemed like it was a defective clutch. Replaced that particular part and now its amazingly smooth.

One major issue I still face after repeated attempts to fix is the fuel smell in the passenger cabin. I dont know if it is petrol but some kindaa fuel. Been to service almost 4 times now, but still there.
Old 12th April 2016, 12:06   #23
BHPian

Isn't it a wonderful feeling when things just fall into place!

Congrats on the new acquisition. Autos definitely make sense given our crowded streets.

BTW, did I spot this car on Monday evening near Spice Garden?
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 17:34   #24

Thanks Rajeev
interesting read on your purchase decision.
I have owned a AT Ecosport for 2 years now. The only thing i am not happy with is the mileage in city. It barely manages 7 to 7.5 km/litre in mumbai traffic. of course my car mainly runs as a school car by my wife, average speeds are below 20km/hr.
I tried it on highway once but can say it is not economical, barely manages 12 km/litre.
Overall the car is great, good solid build, no squeaks, no issues. Only i wish Ford would tune the auto box better to shift gears, it will help in the mileage.
Please note i was aware of this prior to purchase but my running is low, till date run 11k in 2 years. So this is a fantastic car if you don't care about mileage.
norcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 18:36   #25
BHPian

what a detailed review! And I can relate to the quirk of high beam-low beam very easily.

Last weekend only, my friend got a Figo and I was asked to bring it back home from showroom as I was actively involved in decision of figo and all my friends think I am not that be-car (read bekaar) when it comes to cars. After it became dark, I fidgeted with the lever so much that my friend almost became my enemy seeing me break-the-lever trying to use the high-beam.

Love the way you had taken pains to write the selection process. I also want to move from an almost-sedan (read swift Dzire) that I currently own to an almost-SUV (read an Ecosport or a Brezza) and your review would come in handy when I do that.

Thanks a lot!
YoungSaint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 22:52   #26
BHPian

Congratulations Rajeevraj,
A great review. Surely in the long run the ecosport would me more reliable and cheaper in terms of maintenance when compared to the GT.As for the high/low beam toggle switch, is it the pressure sensitive toggle switch as in the OHC? (is there a click when you pull back a little harder on the stalk?).happy mile munching.Drive safe.
One:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 22:12   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

Quick update with the Odo at ~1600 km. We did a ~220km round trip today. A typical 2 lane, traffic filled highway section in Kerala (Calicut-Tirur-Thrissur for those familiar with the area). Interesting thing here is that while going, I drove my Vento TSI and while returning, I drove the Ecosport AT. Route was absolutely same and traffic conditions were also similar. Noted down some observations from the trip.
  • Road Conditions: Very good roads, not very wide, winding in lot of stretches. Good amount of traffic which means overtaking opportunities are limited and mostly limited to small window of opportunity.

• With the Vento, If needed, I could manage in D mode itself. Needed to anticipate the small lag for that quick overtaking and plan accordingly. But with such road conditions, I prefer to run in S mode. With the Ecosport, I could not manage in D mode at all, had to be in S mode to be comfortable.

• Some sharp overtaking maneuvers which the TSI manages comfortably, was not too comfortable with the Ecosport. Needed to look for a better opportunity or plan in advance and be prepared.

• The missing gear indicator bothered me a lot. With the Vento I know the car has dropped gears and is ready to make a move. With the Ecosport, I was not sure if it has dropped down to a suitable gear. Couple of situations noticed it had dropped one gear when it should have dropped 2.

• The confused nature of the gearbox in quick accelerate-decelerate situations was noticed again. Whether to hold the gear or drop. The TSI DSG does not have this confusion.

• Once up to cruising speed, apart from the TSI being quieter, both were equally comfortable to drive. Gradual drops and increase in speed were handled well.

• Used the manual mode in S a few times. Was quite good to use and was helpful in overcoming the sharp overtaking concerns. Was able to shift up to 6th gear manually. ~80-90 kmph at ~2400 RPM in 6th( Maybe a little off here).

• Overall I had to do more adjustments with the Ecosport as compared to the TSI DSG. In general I was more relaxed with the tsi since I am sure how it will respond. With the Ecosport I was a little bit more on edge., Having said that, with some adjustments done, it was pretty comfortable to drive and am sure will become easier as one gets used to it. Also, if it managed the kind of conditions today, then quite confident it will be comfortable in most scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
1) Those signature lights aint bright during daylight right? .
Here is a picture in daylight. As you mentioned, it is hardly visible.

A Diamond White Ford EcoSport Automatic joins the family - Case of 4th time lucky!-ecosportlight.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Did you check FE on the long runs and on city?

P21
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcruiser View Post
I have owned a AT Ecosport for 2 years now. The only thing i am not happy with is the mileage in city. It barely manages 7 to 7.5 km/litre in mumbai traffic. of course my car mainly runs as a school car by my wife, average speeds are below 20km/hr.
I tried it on highway once but can say it is not economical, barely manages 12 km/litre.
City mileage is hovering around 11 now. But Calicut is a small city and in most cases, traffic is moving at a decent speed. There is no long bumper to bumper traffic or jams. Since usage is also shared with the Etios, mileage is not much of a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
.As for the high/low beam toggle switch, is it the pressure sensitive toggle switch as in the OHC? (is there a click when you pull back a little harder on the stalk?).happy mile munching.Drive safe.
Thanks.Yes, one pull and there is a click and it flashes the high beam, another pull and it clicks into High beam. Toggle and it switches back to low beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

BTW, did I spot this car on Monday evening near Spice Garden?
Thanks. If it was last Monday, then No. The car is back in Calicut, Kerala.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th April 2016 at 22:29.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 09:33   #28

Thanks Rajeev, i guess based on our experience mileage really drops in bumper to bumper traffic.
I still feel FORD can do better with tuning the auto shift, it would be nice if they could make the gear upshift at lower rpm, now i see it needs to reach 2500 rpm before it goes to 1st,2nd,3rd gears. I put it in manual mode & can control it better but then whole purpose of AT is lost. I don't know why they have tuned it like this but it would improve mileage if they could tune it better.
norcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 10:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes the AT box needs some getting used to. No comparison to the Vento TSI. I TD that sometime ago and was floored by the performance.
But the Ecosport AT is ok if one is a sedate driver.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 18:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
I own an AT (my wife's car). I noticed this jerking - especially when going from 1->2 and 2->3. Was able to reproduce the problem when in manual mode (S). Took it to service, they did some tests/diagnostics etc; seemed like it was a defective clutch. Replaced that particular part and now its amazingly smooth.
Alright, thanks which dealer was this btw?

Most Viewed