Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 01:00   #331
BHPian

What a beginning to the New Year 2016 !!

Out of the blue go a call from the Sales Head (SH) from the oldest Ford Dealership in Kolkata wishing me a Very Happy New Year. The rest of the conversation is as under : (this is in accordance to my enquiry regarding the launch of the Beast almost a month ago)

SH : "Sir, the All New Ford Endevour 2016 has arrived at our Stock Yard and we are taking the Car to our Service Centre for training purposes. You being a patron to Ford & our dealership and after going through your Travelogue on Ladakh which you did in your Ford Figo, we would be glad to let you be the first person to get your hands on the All New Ford Endevour !! Would you be interested ?"

Me : Is that a question to ask !! Bring it on !! In how much time can you pull over to my office ?

SH : Sir maximum within 45 minutes

Me : I am sending you the PIN Location on WhatsApp. Come over !!

I immediately called up a friend (name 'CP') of mine and informed him about the proceedings and asked him to pull over to my place on ASAP basis. We both have been contemplating to buy one (4x4) SUV each in this year of 2016 (though around Diwali Time) and have been waiting for this one eagerly.

CP reached within 20 Mins or so and the Ford Guys pulled over within 30 mins and we started to drool and roll !!

Witnessing the ENDEVOUR in flesh before our eyes :
Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_135441.jpg

Some important points of the TD (a disclaimer) :
  • Vehicle Variant Driven : Ford Endevour 3.2L 4x4 AT TITANIUM
  • Time was short and the Ford Team had to rush to their Service Station for training - So we did a 15-16 Kms Test Drive within the City Limits
  • I am a Novice to drive a 4x4 and frankly speaking within city limits engaging the 4x4 was out of the question
  • This was Not a Demo Vehicle
  • The vehicle has already been registered in the name of the owner of the Ford Dealership
  • The Test Drive Vehicle is yet to arrive - The Official Launch being on the 19th of January 2016 - This is when the pricing etc. would be disclosed
  • We had very little time with the Endy and thus could not take the detailed snaps of the Beast. The same has already been shared and elaborated by BHPian S2 and I do not feel the necessity to dulpicate the same as it is indeed very detailed. Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...l-preview.html
  • I am just sharing my first impression of the short drive
  • Regret the poor quality pictures as they were taken from my Handphone

The Engine Bay under the Hood - Notice the Vertical Engine Layout which came as a surprise to me :
Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_135331.jpg

CP took the driving seat and did a short drive and was blown away with the driving experience. He parked on the side and now it was my turn to Swap Seats with him. A picture of the Endevour from the Rear :

Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_131458.jpg

Being seated on the Pilot's Seat :
Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_131810.jpg

Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_131802.jpg

The Positive Observations : (Trying to point out serially)
  • Ingress & Egress : I am approximately 6 feet tall and I did not have trouble in ingress and egress from the vehicle. I did not have to use the footboard which was not the case with my past experience in the case of the Fortuner
  • Instrumentation : Once in the Vehicle, I found the instrument cluster to be very organized and fabulous. However, I was initially taken aback and confused seeing the number of buttons/ switches all around me. I guess it will take some proper briefing in order to understand things better. The Reverse Parking Camera with the sensors worked pretty well and the display on the Screen was good too. It has Front sensor too and notifies you once you are too close to the car in front of you. That's so cool !! I did not put the ICE to use and cannot comment about the Sound Quality etc.
  • Cabin Comfort : The cabin comfort is excellent and is very roomy. The Panoramic Sunroof (which shall be a feature in the 3.2 AT only) with what they call a "MoonRoof" once put into use, the Vehicle feels much more niche and more roomy. A feature which is unique in an SUV of this segment and probably would be the USP for the 3.2L AT variant.
  • Seating & Legroom : The 1st Row Bucket Seats are excellent and provides good under thigh support. The 2nd Row Seats have excellent leg room and comfort. However, I neglected to observe the 3rd row seating
  • NVH Levels : NVH Levels are minimal while on the move and extremely minimal while idling
  • Handling : The Electronic Power Steering is indeed very efficient. It responds extremely well and does not make one feel that you are driving such a big SUV and makes maneuvering pretty easy. Good that the Hydraulic Power Steering is not a part of this package or else it would have negated the ease of steering around while negotiating obstacles and cutting through city traffic
  • Body Roll : Considering the vastness of the vehicle, there is hardly any body roll in comparison to the prevailing SUV's in the segment or in the segments lower than this. Excellent all round stability.
  • Ride Quality : The SUV can put any passenger/ traveller to sleep. The ride quality is excellent and the vehicle just eats up all the rough roads and pot holes without letting it effect the passengers at all. Took a U-Turn from a place where the road was dug up and the Vehicle just cruised through the rocky & soiled surface without any fuss. My wife is now 7 Months Pregnant and is indeed particular about the Ride Quality of any Car. to have tagged her along for the TD to have her views on the Ride Comfort w.r.t. the stage in which she is at the moment. End of it, she was impressed !!
  • Changing the Mode on the Move : As mentioned earlier, the TD was within city limits, I was lucky enough to find a stretch of road which was under construction and just had sand and loose gravel on the surface. I took the Endy to the beaten path by putting it on the Sand Mode. It just cruised through the stretch and we did not feel a things. Found a small heap of sand on one side of that road and took the opportunity to drive through that with the LHS wheels just sailing through the heap of sand without making the passengers at the rear even feel what we had just crossed. Impressive !!
  • Road Presence : The designing of the New Endevour has been a spot on "Muscular American Bully" if I may call it !! A lot of cars would just be able to see it's Sparkling Chrome Grill on their Rear View Mirrors. It does make heads turn while on the move. To compliment the built, Ford has provided Phenomenal Set of Horns which will ensure that the Endevour makes it's way through any sort of traffic that comes it's way.
  • Air Conditioning : Flawless and made the cabin very comfortable within seconds.

The Debatable Observations :
  • Delayed Engine Response : The AT was not so much fun to drive for a spirited and impulsive person like myself who likes to downshift and take on the vehicle ahead of mine in order to overtake; at times. The engine had a delayed response and this was a let down for me. At times, the engine grunt and growls were pretty high whenever I wanted to accelerate in a jiffy. Automatic Transmissions do have their limitations and the driving style for AT's is also a little different. However, I believe that this could have been negated had I been driving with the Sports Mode On whereby I could paddle shift according to my liking. But, unfortunately the Ford guys were not sure how the S Mode in the AT could be activated and put to use since they were not so trained with the vehicle yet and that the AT Gear had just 4 slots - P, R, N & D although it shows S(+/-) beside the D slot.
  • Fuel Efficiency : I was told that the 3.2L AT would give around 6-8kmpl in city driving conditions "Dubaara mat poochhna ki Kitna Deti Hai" I guess the Fuel Tank Capacity is of 80+ Litres to compliment the low fuel economy. However, I firmly believe that somebody buying a car in this segment would not be much bothered about the Mileage/ Fuel Efficiency Part anyways

My Overall Take on the TD :
- Overall a very satisfying experience. The 4x4 Gurus shall be able to elaborate better than me off coarse
- I am pretty keen now to TD the 2.2 MT 4x4 variant knowing that this variant would not have the gizmos that he 3.2 AT has
- For me the Fuel Efficiency factor does matter as I have excessive running and do a few long distance trips too
- It will be interesting to see what pricing Ford unfolds on the Launch of this Beast

Notice the Grin on CP's face which is self explanatory to the TD experience :

Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_135402-2.jpg
Note the height at which we are resting our hands on the Endevour - Almost around our ribs

Some posing around with the Endevour - Me & Wifey :

Preview: Ford Endeavour-p_20160101_135426_1.jpg

Sharing a picture of the Specs Sheet :

Preview: Ford Endeavour-ford-endevour-brochure-specs-jpg.jpg

Attaching herewith a copy of the Ford Endevour E-Brochure : Brochure - New Ford Endevour 2016.pdf

Wishing Everyone a Fantastic Year Ahead !!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th January 2016 at 08:00. Reason: Typo (sensor) fixed
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 11:35   #332
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Preview: Ford Endeavour

Thanks for sharing, AJ-got-BHP! Quite the new year treat.

Have been a fan of the new Endeavour since its global unveil. Good to hear that the ride quality has improved (earlier one was way too bumpy). However, I find this disappointing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Delayed Engine Response : The AT was not so much fun to drive for a spirited and impulsive person like myself who likes to downshift and take on the vehicle ahead of mine in order to overtake; at times. The engine had a delayed response and this was a let down for me.
Will wait until we put it through a full Team-BHP review. But the game has moved on. Hopefully, the AT behaves better in sport mode. Sluggishness just won't do in this segment.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 15:49   #333
BHPian

Talked to Elite ford Bangalore folks today, looks like the price strategy is as follows (no confirmation!).
1. 2.2 base version (much below Fortuner) - about 24 Lakhs ex showroom
2. 2.2 titanium or 3.2 base trend - just above Fortuner top line (about 32 Lakhs on road)
3. 3.2 titatnium (4x4) - about 36 lakhs on road
4. 3.2 Titanium (4x4) Plus - close to 40 Lakhs on road (converts from base luxuary cars like Q3)

these are all Bangalore on-road prices (remember Bangalore has the highest road tax, about 20% for SUVs).

40 Lakhs is too much IMHO.
sknair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 16:08   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Talked to Elite ford Bangalore folks today.
4. 3.2 Titanium (4x4) Plus - close to 40 Lakhs on road (converts from base luxuary cars like
Titanium plus ? Sounds like Elite ford guys are yet to get proper training for Endeavour. Titanium plus variant isn't offered for Indian market.
Old 4th January 2016, 17:55   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post

P, R, N & D although it shows S(+/-) beside the D slot.
While i was checking the car, I had switched on the engine and though, i did not take a test drive, i did operate the AT. The way to slot into S mode was to pull it towards yourself (to the right) and then, you can manually change the gears.
joelchandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 18:27   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Talked to Elite ford Bangalore folks today, looks like the price strategy is as follows (no confirmation!).
1. 2.2 base version (much below Fortuner) - about 24 Lakhs ex showroom
2. 2.2 titanium or 3.2 base trend - just above Fortuner top line (about 32 Lakhs on road)
3. 3.2 titatnium (4x4) - about 36 lakhs on road
4. 3.2 Titanium (4x4) Plus - close to 40 Lakhs on road (converts from base luxuary cars like Q3)

these are all Bangalore on-road prices (remember Bangalore has the highest road tax, about 20% for SUVs).

40 Lakhs is too much IMHO.
Current gen Fortuner looks cheaper then, pricing from carwale.com

I was told by the Hyd guys that the max should be 31-32 L on road for the 4x4 AT Titanium, with all the bells and whistles. (Though i agree that taxes are tad higher at Bangalore)
Attached Thumbnails
Preview: Ford Endeavour-vvv.jpg  

sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 11:22   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, AJ-got-BHP! Quite the new year treat.

Have been a fan of the new Endeavour since its global unveil. Good to hear that the ride quality has improved (earlier one was way too bumpy).

Will wait until we put it through a full Team-BHP review. But the game has moved on. Hopefully, the AT behaves better in sport mode. Sluggishness just won't do in this segment.
Eagerly awaiting the Official Team-BHP Review indeed !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
While i was checking the car, I had switched on the engine and though, i did not take a test drive, i did operate the AT. The way to slot into S mode was to pull it towards yourself (to the right) and then, you can manually change the gears.
not to have read S2's update on Page 1 of this Thread !! It's mentioned there also. Would have been able to give the Ford Guys some training !!!!

Quote:

That is some taxation buddy !! That makes what is expensive, a little more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Current gen Fortuner looks cheaper then, pricing from carwale.com

I was told by the Hyd guys that the max should be 31-32 L on road for the 4x4 AT Titanium, with all the bells and whistles. (Though i agree that taxes are tad higher at Bangalore)
I was informed by the Ford Guys that the 3.2 AT 4x4 Titanium would be around 28-30 Lacs on Road. If it is so, the pricing would not be that bad considering the Toyota Fortuner to be it's direct and prime competition. Let the mystery unfold on the 19th of January 2016 and let's just wait and watch
Old 5th January 2016, 11:23   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will wait until we put it through a full Team-BHP review.
Now that Ford is allowing people and patrons of Ford to drive the Endy in flesh , when will we see a detailed review by one of TBHP elite ? I am waiting to hear the review and I am really interested in the vehicle.
OD already did some comparison with the Traiblazer and I saw a small section of that on TV. So Ford is allowing reviews to be done. Can't wait for some authentic TBHP review.
Old 5th January 2016, 14:26   #339
BHPian

Initial review is up on ZigWheels. The rate the performance of 3.2 Litre engine as good. Eagerly waiting for the T-Bhp review now.

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...review/24067/5
Old 6th January 2016, 10:53   #340
BHPian

This is the latest comparison from OD

ambivalent_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 11:21   #341
Team-BHP Support

This car would sell if it is withing 20-28 Lakh OTR. Beyond that it is going to fizzle out as soon as the initial lots are cleared, but then again Ford also won't be looking at selling great numbers here in India for this model.

Volume business is still under sub 30 OTR, beyond that is still uber luxury where people have many choices and some super yummy pre-owned options.
Old 6th January 2016, 11:59   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This car would sell if it is withing 20-28 Lakh OTR. Beyond that it is going to fizzle out as soon as the initial lots are cleared, but then again Ford also won't be looking at selling great numbers here in India for this model.

Volume business is still under sub 30 OTR, beyond that is still uber luxury where people have many choices and some super yummy pre-owned options.
In Bangalore the top spec Fortuner 4x4 AT 3.0 retails at 33.67 lacs. Even at this price, I see quite a lot of top spec on road. All the models of Fortuner costs 30 lac(OTR) and above . I don't see a reason why would Ford price new Endeavour similar if not more afterall Endeavour offers a lot more equipment and much more modern than ageing Fortuner. Unless Ford aims for sales of 1000/month, I expect the base OTR price to be around 29-30 lacs here in Bangalore.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:19   #343
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
This is the latest comparison from OD
The comparison sounds very one-sided, even the background music is better for the Endeavour.

But, at the end, the estimated prices look good. If Ford manages to price them at the levels mentioned, this refined truck will sell well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th January 2016 at 12:36. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 6th January 2016, 12:30   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Unless Ford aims for sales of 1000/month, I expect the base OTR price to be around 29-30 lacs here in Bangalore.
This is what i meant with my post also, coz at 30+ lakh OTR sales will be limited. Sales number of Fortuner also has been trickling down as per the sales thread figures, inspite of all the minor upgrades.

Indian market did not have many choices earlier, and many were not open to the idea of pre-owned purchase, things are changing though. So good news for people who are looking for pre-owned but that will not rake in the new car numbers.

If i am spending i would wait 6 to 12 months and bag one with 20 to 30% less price from the used market
Old 6th January 2016, 13:00   #345
BHPian

Little surprising to see a slip up from OD. @ 6:45 Bert says 3.2L diesel with 4 cylinders which actually is 5 cylinders.

Edit: At the projected prices the Endeavor is a steal.

Last edited by anvara : 6th January 2016 at 13:01.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks