Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 12:18   #241
BHPian

re: Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishu2xll View Post
Thats because they are not DRLs. They are Parking Lights masked as DRLs
Agreed, I don't know what Hyundai was thinking when they added them. When the headlights are ON, the 'masked' DRLs anyway don't have much effect..
Old 17th May 2016, 09:47   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick Update

I promised a few of you (via PMs) that I would get back with the results of the Creta VTVT's fuel efficiency in peak summer.

I drove around till the "low fuel" indicator came on, after which I filled up Rs.1000/- worth of petrol (15.71 liters) with the ODO reading 5493 kms. 14 days later, with the ODO at 5680 kms, the "low fuel" indicator came on again.

This makes it a total run of 187 kms in return for the liters spent, which results in a Fuel Efficiency of 11.9 kmpl!

This was achieved with the FATC set to 23°C and on 100% of the time, minimum B2B traffic, and average speeds of around 30-35 kmph in the 3rd and 4th gears, all inside the city.

Outside temperatures soared between 39°C-45°C all this time.

Quite a frugal performer, the 1.6L VTVT.

Considering that this petrol burner tows 1350+ kgs all the time (vehicle kerb weight + 1 driver), those are pretty fantastic figures.

This lovely little unit isn't as popular as the i-VTEC, but it has quite a few positives of it's own. Of course, there's no VTEC "rush" at any speeds above 100 kmph but in terms of outright mileage achievements, it's right up there with the best of them.

Not to mention it's absolute silence when going about doing it's job - roll the window down when the car is moving and you can hear absolutely nothing from the engine!

Sharing a few shots from the FuelLog app:

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-screenshot_20160517093635.pngLazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-screenshot_20160517094000.pngLazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-screenshot_20160517094017.png

Impressive numbers, aren't they?

Ciao, till the next update!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th May 2016 at 09:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 10:17   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Quick Update

Considering that this petrol burner tows 1350+ kgs all the time (vehicle kerb weight + 1 driver), those are pretty fantastic figures.

Not to mention it's absolute silence when going about doing it's job - roll the window down when the car is moving and you can hear absolutely nothing from the engine!
Impressive numbers, aren't they?

Those are the fantastic figures indeed! I guess Hyundai has come of age with this car in terms of petrol engines. I can't imagine how silent your car would be considering near zero noise in diesel Creta that I test drove (they did not have petrol for TD).

One of my friend who drives 1.6 petrol Verna always cribs of low fuel average of 6-9 kmpl.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 10:49   #244
BHPian

Those are some good figures for in-city driving, RavenAvi. I am also getting similar (slightly less) FE from my Verna, which is around 1100 kg kerb weight as well IIRC. For sure, the 1.6 is a frugal performer. It might not be the most efficient but the refinement will blow anyone away!

I am late to this thread since I joined some time back, but nevertheless, your thread is as informative as it can get. I have been following it since the beginning. Belated congratulations and wish you a lot more happy miles with smiles!

Rating your thread a well deserved 5 stars.
biggrin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 10:49   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Those are the fantastic figures indeed! I guess Hyundai has come of age with this car in terms of petrol engines.
The only time Lazarus went below 11 kmpl was during the previous refill, when I had to drive a bit more spiritedly around town. It was still a healthy 10.5 kmpl, with plenty of A-pedal stomping + sudden braking!

For the rest of the duration, I am consistently getting over 11 kmpl inside the city with the AC on all the time. Of course, driving with a light foot and avoiding hard, quick, unnecessary braking helps a lot.

On highway runs, mileage hovers between 14.5-15 kmpl. This is while driving in 6th gear between speeds of 90-100 kmph, with as minimum gear shifts as possible. I rarely go beyond 100 kmph and maybe that's why the engine is rewarding me with stellar fuel economy figures.

Quote:
One of my friend who drives 1.6 petrol Verna always cribs of low fuel average of 6-9 kmpl.
Hyundai has retuned the 1.6L VTVT for better FE performance in the Creta. This is evident in the different torque figures in both cars (154Nm vs 158 Nm). Of course, Verna is the lighter car as well.

I am sure they took the feedback from Verna owners regarding low mileage and worked on the engine before plonking it inside the Creta. The car feels like having different gear-shift ratios than the Verna too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Belated congratulations and wish you a lot more happy miles with smiles!
Thank you so much, my friend.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th May 2016 at 10:51.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't imagine how silent your car would be considering near zero noise in diesel Creta that I test drove (they did not have petrol for TD).
The hydraulic engine mounts in both the petrol and diesel Creta also contribute to the low engine vibration/ noise.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 00:57   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Quick Update

I promised a few of you (via PMs) that I would get back with the results of the Creta VTVT's fuel efficiency in peak summer.

I drove around till the "low fuel" indicator came on, after which I filled up Rs.1000/- worth of petrol (15.71 liters) with the ODO reading 5493 kms. 14 days later, with the ODO at 5680 kms, the "low fuel" indicator came on again.

This makes it a total run of 187 kms in return for the liters spent, which results in a Fuel Efficiency of 11.9 kmpl!

This was achieved with the FATC set to 23°C and on 100% of the time, minimum B2B traffic, and average speeds of around 30-35 kmph in the 3rd and 4th gears, all inside the city.

Outside temperatures soared between 39°C-45°C all this time.

This lovely little unit isn't as popular as the i-VTEC, but it has quite a few positives of it's own. Of course, there's no VTEC "rush" at any speeds above 100 kmph but in terms of outright mileage achievements, it's right up there with the best of them.

Hi, I read your review a year back and believe me, you should take up writing as a profession!
I own a Verna Petrol 1.6, so between the both of us, we share the same engine.
The mileage of your Creta is simply great. The main reason why City scores a wee bit over my Verna is the 175 mm vs 195 mm tyres.
More surface area means more friction and therefore, less mileage.
So, getting the figures you got with 215 mm tyres is simply awesome.
I keep going through your thread every now and then, kudos for a extremely well written ownership review.
nda992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 08:56   #248
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's some thread on vehicle ownership. Went through it all in one sitting, awesome detailed write up.

Congratulations on the Creta, RavenAvi. Late to the party, but here I am.

Petrol car made perfect sense for you and I am glad you ditched diesels in this case. The petrol Creta has perfectly silent engine combined with good FE with all goodies inside. 11+ kmpl is awesome indeed.

Enjoy the Lazarus and wish you thousands of happy miles with the car.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 18:08   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently completed a 650-kms round trip, and my Lazarus continues to behave beautifully on the highways and return stellar fuel economy figures as well.

Had taken my Ma for an emergency surgery procedure which involved umbilical hernia reconstruction, and it turned out to be a major one (much to our dismay and apprehension) which made us stay at the hospital for 10 days.

Brought her back home yesterday through a 300-km trip which involved patches of broken roads + short 4-lane sections + loose gravel in non-existent road sections + heavy rains with really poor visibility (NH-30/43 is under heavy repair right now, being transformed into a 4-lane highway).

Although I drove very carefully so that my mother lying down in the rear seat didn't feel any increased pain and discomfort because of her recently opened stitches, she remarked that she was in good comfort all through the return journey and was fatigue-free upon reaching home.

Made me so happy and relieved in the end that I gave my Lazarus a small peck on the steering-wheel before calling it a night, thanking the wonderful little Hyundai and the gods for making this much-apprehensive ordeal a smooth and incident-free experience.

No problems at all, not even a puncture.

Even after the car had been standing in the hospital's parking lot under the sun/rains for 8 whole days, Lazarus purred to life as soon as I pressed the button, and brought us home confidently and safely.

Fuel economy for the entire trip was at a cumulative and very impressive 14.4 kmpl (calculated via FuelLog fillups).

Went past the 6,000-kms mark and the 6,500-kms mark during this journey.

Sorry, no pictures. I was too busy tending to Ma.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th July 2016 at 18:09.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 14:57   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently completed a 650-kms round trip, and my Lazarus continues to behave beautifully on the highways and return stellar fuel economy figures as well.

Had taken my Ma for an emergency surgery procedure which involved umbilical hernia reconstruction, and it turned out to be a major one (much to our dismay and apprehension) which made us stay at the hospital for 10 days.

Brought her back home yesterday through a 300-km trip which involved patches of broken roads + short 4-lane sections + loose gravel in non-existent road sections + heavy rains with really poor visibility (NH-30/43 is under heavy repair right now, being transformed into a 4-lane highway).

Although I drove very carefully so that my mother lying down in the rear seat didn't feel any increased pain and discomfort because of her recently opened stitches, she remarked that she was in good comfort all through the return journey and was fatigue-free upon reaching home.

Made me so happy and relieved in the end that I gave my Lazarus a small peck on the steering-wheel before calling it a night, thanking the wonderful little Hyundai and the gods for making this much-apprehensive ordeal a smooth and incident-free experience.

No problems at all, not even a puncture.

Even after the car had been standing in the hospital's parking lot under the sun/rains for 8 whole days, Lazarus purred to life as soon as I pressed the button, and brought us home confidently and safely.

Fuel economy for the entire trip was at a cumulative and very impressive 14.4 kmpl (calculated via FuelLog fillups).

Went past the 6,000-kms mark and the 6,500-kms mark during this journey.

Sorry, no pictures. I was too busy tending to Ma.
Hi @RavenAvi

Sorry to lean about your mother... the doctors have a knack of extending stays at hospital these days. Hope she has now fully recovered.

with your observations regarding the comfort & mileage observations of Hyundai petrol cars these days. The ride could be bouncy on the hatches when driven hard, but if you are careful, these can transform into comfortable cruisers. The trick is not to rev the vehicle hard rather build up revs (as in case of diesel) & keep up with the traffic. The low end torque of the cars is adequate in most scenarios & you can ride the torque on many occasions. I have ferried all sorts of passengers (including those who have been operated upon & new mothers) yet they have rarely uttered discomfort.

Even I get 15+ to 17 kmpl on a petrol i20 on Faridabad-Laxmi Nagar (New Delhi) route, which gets particularly bad in the evenings (I start early in the morning, but have to face traffic jams in the evening).

BTW there is a compare by AotoX mag, where one of my friend also works. Their video is also uploaded on TBHP, & the Verna bettered its competitors including City. And the words of my friend as a reviewer on Hyundai cars were same as yours .
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 23:48   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

A SAD UPDATE

The reverence that the 4-legged strays get on our roads, specially in the rainy season, proved to be costly for me.

At around 5:30 PM in the evening yesterday, while I was on my way home from work, I noticed that the cars in front of me were slowing down before a (usually) busy intersection. Thinking that a traffic jam might be about, I slowed down as well.

But my notions were wrong - for a bull and a cow, standing side by side lengthwise in the middle of the road, were holding up traffic from both sides. The bull was standing on my right with it's head towards me, while the cow stood on it's left. Both strays looked calm and lazy just standing there, and so the 3 cars in front of me eased through slowly.

I was at around 15-20 kmph, and I moved till Lazarus was almost perpendicular to the huge and muscular bull. All of a sudden, without any warning or indication, the bull swung it's rear legs around & it's whole body twisted straight into Lazarus's path, and before I could even blink,

WHAM!

(*OUCH!*, went my mind)

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9480.jpg

There was still plenty of traffic behind me, so I eased forward and to the side of the road as soon as I had some open space, to survey the damage.

The good - the front driver side had borne the brunt of the impact, and to the credit of the front bumper, had not caved in.
The driver-side headlight and the foglamp were intact, with no glasses broken.
All 3 lights - driver-side headlight, driver-side foglamp and the driver-side LED positioning lamp, were intact and working.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9481.jpg

The bad - the lower, black portion of the front bumper below the driver-side foglamp, looked like it has been bashed in.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9482.jpg

The top part of the front bumper's alignment and locking was out of it's place, as was the part under the front driver-side headlamp.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9484.jpg

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9485.jpg

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9486.jpg

The metal panel immediately behind the front bumper section, on the side of the headlamp, looks to have gone in (slightly), causing the misalignment of the front bumper and the headlamp.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9487.jpg

Plus, the foglamp casing is either off or broken, because the upper portion of the foglamp has gone inside and looks to be loose.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9483.jpg

I have no idea why the bull suddenly turned around like that, but if some traffic policeman (or policewoman) had moved them out of the road before, this could have been avoided (there were two traffic policewomen standing on the side of the road, but were busy chatting with each other, possibly on the new nail polish shades/neighbours/fashion statements in town/how "job is hard these days", etc).

Also, the bull had remained idle till 3 cars had passed it, and suddenly became aggressive just when I was about to pass. Whether the cow beside it had jostled the damned thing, or it got stung by a trigger-happy mosquito, or got suddenly annoyed by a fly buzzing around it's ears - no effing idea.

Or could it be a simple case of my sheer bad luck, or providence, or a mix of both?

Cursing my misfortune, I headed home for a sleepless, sad night and drove Lazarus to the Shivnath Hyundai workshop earlier in the morning today.

My regular SA, Kamlesh, greeted me with a smile and then came over to inspect the damage. According to him, there won't be a problem hammering the bumper back into shape after heating it a bit, but there might be a slight problem if the metal panel behind the bumper needed denting work, or if the foglamp section was actually broken from the inside. Still, he could tell me only by tomorrow.

Since Lazarus is fast approaching his first anniversary with me (on 28th July), I opted for the 2nd Free Service (1 year or 10,000 kms) as well.

The estimate cost given by Kamlesh for both is around Rs 4,000, give or take a few hundreds on either side. Lazarus will have to stay overnight with them for the bumper repair job, and will come home tomorrow.

I paid a visit to the workshop in the evening, and they had completed the servicing part. Oil and oil filter have been changed. I opted for semi-synthetic instead of full, since my running has come down in recent times. Lazarus was waiting for the repair jobs and will be handed over to me after his washing session tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I have decided to stick to SBI General for my 2nd Year Insurance as well.

They quoted me an IDV of Rs 9,79,303/- (initial IDV was 1,088,115/-), for which the premium came to Rs 32,321/- (including Zero-dep add-on, cashless facility & consumables, minus 20% NCB). Sent the cheque over yesterday, and I should receive the policy bond by Monday or Tuesday.

ODO stands at 6719 kms.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th July 2016 at 23:51.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 22:51   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Lazarus did not come home today.

Apparently, the denting guy skipped coming to work all of yesterday and came to the dealership's A.S.S. only today morning and got busy working with Lazarus's bumper right away. Despite it being a Sunday today, Shivnath's Service Center was open because of extra load of work.

When I went to visit the dealership at 11 AM to check the work in progress, the denting guy had just reached and had removed the front bumper to begin his work.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9491.jpg

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9492.jpg

I turned the bumper around to survey the damage - one of the screwed clips holding the foglamp casing had broken off, and the bumper covering that sits flush with the wheel well part of the front two-thirds of the metal panel, was broken from the lower half.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9493.jpg

Kamlesh explained that both broken plastic sections would be sealed back with Araldite to stick them back, and the caved-in portion of the bumper will be heated and beaten back to shape with a rubber hammer.

Then I moved back to Lazarus to inspect the front metal panel, and there was an obvious dent on the front part, due to which the headlight had become misaligned. That would require minor denting work, according to Kamlesh, and hence the painter will be required to cover the repaired section.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_9494.jpg

I told him to place a call to the painters, and if anyone was free, ask them to come to the dealership and complete this minor job after the denting guy was finished. He promised to call me by 4 PM and give me an update on this situation.

Kamlesh called at 4:30 PM and said that the painters were not available on call for the whole day, and the denting guy had done his job and left. He apologised for the delay and promised to deliver Lazarus to me first thing tomorrow as soon as the painters arrived. As a gesture of goodwill on his part, he has promised to get Lazarus doubly-washed (Lazarus was washed yesterday after the 2nd Free Service was done) before handing him over to me.

Another anxious day comes to a close. Can't wait to drive him home tomorrow.

I can best sum up my feelings by this - it's like being a parent who has a child staying at a hospital overnight, for whatever reason. You might realise now how I feel.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th July 2016 at 22:52.
Old 17th July 2016, 23:16   #253
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can best sum up my feelings by this - it's like being a parent who has a child staying at a hospital overnight, for whatever reason. You might realise now how I feel.
Wishing Lazarus a speedy recovery and hoping he is back on his feet tomorrow.

Is the pasting of the bumper inner parts with Araldite a standard fix and how reliable is it in the longer term ? Asking since most service centers usually approach such jobs with a Replacement of bumper solution rather than Repair.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 23:33   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wishing Lazarus a speedy recovery and hoping he is back on his feet tomorrow.

Is the pasting of the bumper inner parts with Araldite a standard fix and how reliable is it in the longer term ? Asking since most service centers usually approach such jobs with a Replacement of bumper solution rather than Repair.
Thank you, my friend.

Only the lower 50% of the bumper casing had come off, while the upper part was still good. Since it didn't lock in anywhere and was just for the finish, Kamlesh said there wasn't any real need of going the distance. As for the foglamp casing's plastic screw part, when I queried about any sort of rattles cropping up in the future due to (possible) improper fixing, he assured me that the fix will be good and permanent.

Kamlesh was of the opinion that for a couple of minor issues such as these, there was no need to replace the entire bumper.

I concurred with him.

Helps when you have a friendly SA who is not eyeing your wallet all the time.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 11:43   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All of a sudden, without any warning or indication, the bull swung it's rear legs around & it's whole body twisted straight into Lazarus's path, and before I could even blink,

WHAM!
Sad to see the damage, but good that it is minor and shouldn't even be noticeable once repaired. What happened to the bull? I assume it took the it on its hind leg/s, so did it get injured do you know? The big heavy beasts stand on exceptionally narrow cannons, hence the question.

Quote:
Kamlesh was of the opinion that for a couple of minor issues such as these, there was no need to replace the entire bumper.

See if you can find shoe-glue (like shoe fix from Fevicol). These are generally more flexible than Araldite, and therefore stand up better to prolonged fatigue due to vibrations and such - for DIYs, not for the service people.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks