Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 17:03   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Can you please elaborate RavenAvi? Mine is a 1.6 diesel and I have done only 300 odd kms so far but I am taking it out to Pondicherry from Bangalore and I think the round trip (plus local) would be 1000 kms...Their are some good 6 lane stretches and I will certainly to three digits for a decent portion. Is that not recommended? I haven't really found such a warning on the manual...although I am yet to finish it. The korean to English translation does not make it the best read in the worls anyway
Initially, my running was extensive and on the highways a lot hence I rattled up the first 1,000 kms of my Lazarus in no time.

Friends told me that I was running in the engine too soon, too quickly. But my Hyundai source had confirmed that all petrols came fully run-in from the factory, so there was no need of further care. But, I still made sure to drive through all gears at varying speeds so that the engine beds in as well as possible, while keeping the RPMs to under 2,500.

For the diesel heart however, a proper run-in is more imperative, more so when it is a turbo-charged unit. You have to mandatorily follow the 30-second idling rule at start up, keep top speeds below 80 kmph as much as possible, and run the engine through the RPM range in the lower gears as much as you can, yet keep the car below 2,500 RPM at all times. This is for the first 1,500 kms. You can open her a bit more (but keep her below 3,000 RPM) for the next 1,000 kms or so, after which the engine is quite open and free to revv across the range.

Don't subject the car to 3-digit speeds just yet. If you can stick to 80-ish speeds across the top 3 gears and subject the car to varying RPMs and speeds, it will help open up the engine better.

This is a good read, if you can spare some time - LINK
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 17:25   #182
BHPian

[quote=RavenAvi;3799140]Initially, my running was extensive and on the highways a lot hence I rattled up the first 1,000 kms of my Lazarus in no time.

Friends told me that I was running in the engine too soon, too quickly. But my Hyundai source had confirmed that all petrols came fully run-in from the factory, so there was no need of further care. But, I still made sure to drive through all gears at varying speeds so that the engine beds in as well as possible, while keeping the RPMs to under 2,500.
QUOTE]

I have a different predicament.
Three days after getting hold of my love, i will start a 3 days 1600 kms drive from Chandigarh to Raipur, with stops at Agra and Sagar.
Most of it is on highways, but will surely make sure that i don't cross three figs for too long.
I have a question though. The first service you mentioned was at 1500 kms. DO i have to write to Hyundai to get it done at around 1800 kms?
Plan to go to the same dealer as you.
Old 10th September 2015, 18:53   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Don't subject the car to 3-digit speeds just yet. If you can stick to 80-ish speeds across the top 3 gears and subject the car to varying RPMs and speeds, it will help open up the engine better.
There are some very conflicting opinions on this. The AT manual says there is no need to run the engine in, but does recommend running it at different speeds in the first 1000 kms. No RPM or speed limits.
Old 10th September 2015, 20:46   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
I have a question though. The first service you mentioned was at 1500 kms. DO i have to write to Hyundai to get it done at around 1800 kms?
Plan to go to the same dealer as you.
1200-1500 kms, or 2 months from delivery date.

No need, Col. Ghai. Stick to the "within 2 months" deadline and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
There are some very conflicting opinions on this. The AT manual says there is no need to run the engine in, but does recommend running it at different speeds in the first 1000 kms. No RPM or speed limits.
Since the AT is also a turbocharged diesel, it won't harm sticking to the run-in deadline for the first 1,000 kms too. Varying RPM speeds helps bed the engine in better, and also opens it up nicely for the journeys ahead.
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:57   #185
BHPian

Repeating my query again Mr Avinash, regarding the speed sensitive auto door lock, that did you find any way how to enable in creta. As it is available in th topmost model only, I don't know how much Hyundai is saving by omitting this in lower models. Maruti has been giving this as standard feature since ages, that too even sub 5 lac cars.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:52   #186

Hi RavenAvi,

I have really enjoyed reading and learning much from your initial ownership thread. As many have already told you it's extremely detailed and informative. Thank you for taking out the time, this is going to help so many of us.

I own a 2002 Accent and I was looking at buying an urban SUV or a sedan in the 14-15L range. A Lazarus sibling i.e. the SX+ Petrol would cost around 14 and a bit here in Bangalore with our exorbitant road taxes. Irony that our road taxes are so high while the quality of our roads is surely one of the worst in the country.

I drive around 30-35 KM daily and expect to average 10 to 12,000 km a year. Not much of a highway guy but never had that much confidence in my old creaking Accent. I am hoping to change that once I get behind the wheels of a modern car.

The cars I am considering so far
Creta SX+ Petrol (love the features)
Duster 85 PS RxL - (The FE is really attractive, although I am a lifelong petrol car driver, I think I can make the adjustment. On the minus side are the ergonomics and dated design)
Honda City (It looks like a lot of people are not happy with the recent models on TBHP. In my extended family, we have 4 of them including a 2015 model and they all seem to like it.)
Verna - Haven't researched this much. Wife likes the car both exterior and interior. She is more a sedan person.

After a decade + on the Accent, I am looking for an Urban mini SUV. But with the poor quality of our roads I think its reasonable to consider an affordable SUV. I don't care too much for AWD. As long as it performs in B2B traffic conditions, daily school drops/pickups and office runs I am happy.

I am right now contemplating between the Duster and the Creta. The sedans are considered mainly to humour the wife. I must confess until I read your detailed reviews I was more or less convinced that I should buy a Duster because of the ride quality and FE. Now I am still undecided. The good thing is since I have waited so very long to buy a new car I am in no hurry. Its been 12 years, whats another 3 or 4 months
lonsharim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:27   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
regarding the speed sensitive auto door lock, that did you find any way how to enable in creta.
Nope, sorry. Haven't had the time to go to the dealership and explore this missing feature. Thanks for reminding me though. Will get back to you on this by the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonsharim View Post
I am right now contemplating between the Duster and the Creta.
The Creta SX+ Petrol is a much powerful machine than the Duster 85 PS, is more contemporary, has a truckload of features which the Duster misses out on, and fit and finish is typical Hyundai.

Granted, ride quality is better in the Duster but the Creta is no slouch in this regard either. With the best steering and suspension on any Hyundai till date, the Creta makes a strong case for itself and that is evident by the reports by several T-BHP members in the official review thread who have driven the car and have come away impressed.

In addition, your running doesn't warrant a diesel and as such, the petrol makes more sense. You will save plenty on services and maintenance as well.

The FE numbers are really good and the Creta makes you feel right at home - in fact, ownership satisfaction is much more in the Hyundai than in the Renault's 85 PS version. Also, the Duster is earmarked for a facelift very soon, while the Creta will be with us for at least the next 3 years.

Do take extensive test drives of both cars before taking a final decision.

I would say go for the Creta. You will love the experience.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd September 2015 at 09:28.
Old 23rd September 2015, 18:50   #188
BHPian

WOW! What an 'experience report' !! Simply superb.

Was a treat to read and three cheers for your writing skills as much as for your eyes for details and expression of emotions. All combined into one and what we got is this great peace.

Well, Avi ji, we met on the HVK forum the other day where I posted updates from my recent CG trips . Remember .

My association with T-BHP is as old as with HVK sir. Have gained immensely from both.

Wish you happy traveling.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 23:49   #189
BHPian

Awesome review Avi. What detailing! And rightly said; discovering your true call! Don't think you would even have missed an inch on the vehicle

That's been the beauty of this forum; members pen about their vehicle with passion. Some learning for me while doing my ownership reviews.

Have fun, riding your Lazarus.
MindOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 17:36   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossed another milestone earlier in the afternoon today as I drove home from work:

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7589.jpg

This is why I went for the petrol variant.

My monthly/yearly running is not fixed at all, and after running through the first 1,000 kms within 2 weeks of owning Lazarus, the next 1,000 kms have come in almost 2 months of ownership!

Observations so far:

- Fuel efficiency inside city is hovering at ~11 kmpl, with the ACC on all the time. On highway runs, I am touching 15 kmpl easily, again with ACC on all the time.

- Average speeds inside the city are between 30-35 kmph, while on the highways I stay between 80-90 kmph for most of the duration.

- I avoid pedal-mashing as much as I can. The good thing about driving 2 generations of Honda Citys before my Lazarus is that I have learnt driving with a feather-light touch on the accelerator, plus acquired a taste for gradual braking. Now both of these have become a part of my daily driving.

- Panic braking is top notch in the Creta. The ABS, although a bit grinding and slightly jittery in it's execution, stops the car in a straight line without any fuss. Saved me some embarrassment more than once.

- For such a big car, the turn radius is very convenient. The Creta turns around from one edge of the road to the other very easily.

- Gear shifts are excellent, and all forward gears fall easily into their slots.

- I have slight trouble while shifting into reverse gear - sometimes it doesn't even engage, even when the beep sounds and the rear camera's display comes up on the HU. Have to slot to 1st, move forward a millimeter or so, then have to engage reverse gear for it to slot fully into it's position. This happens intermittently.

- I experimented with all sorts of tyre pressures, and finally zoned into my final configuration - 34 PSI for all tyres inside the city when driving alone, and 37 PSI for a full load of 4 passengers (+1 child) and added luggage (read 4 full suitcases and some odds and ends), mostly for outstation trips.

- Comfort level in the front seats is fabulous, with the gentle body-hugging sides keeping one in place snugly. The seats could use some lower back support though. Thinking of getting a small pillow or neck-rest for the same.

- Rear seat comfort is fantastic, as per feedback from my parents and wife. My little 3-year-old has made the place her second home literally - she sleeps soundly on it when the car is in motion!

- The alloys/tyres, although not to my liking, are taking some serious abuse pretty well. I have been actively touring through the rural areas for the past 3-odd weeks and have taken Lazarus through all sorts of roads, even places that didn't have any roads at all. Happy to report that they haven't sprung up any nasty surprises yet.

- In-city riding comfort is top notch. Although the Duster is still a league above, the Creta almost matches it in low speeds. Slight bounciness is evident at higher speeds, but the Creta makes up for that with no nervousness at 80+ speeds. No doubt, the weighted steering feel adds to the experience. Ergonomics for a driver are perfect in this urban SUV.

- No further accessory upgrades are done yet as all my finances are being diverted towards completion of house extension work. Hopefully by Deepawali, I would have saved enough to deck up Lazarus some more.

- Only issue to report: the driver-side's plastic door handle squeaks like a small child's plastic toy when pressed, like two plastic surfaces rubbing against each other. Been observing this for about a month now. The squeak is too low to be noticed during daily use so I have learnt to ignore it.

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_7591.jpg

And, in closing, a recent shot of Lazarus standing behind his mighty elder brother:

Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-20150913_110510.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2015 at 11:54. Reason: Excessive use of bold tags, buddy :). Please use only selectively. Thanks!
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:17   #191
BHPian

Quote:
- Only issue to report: the driver-side's plastic door handle squeaks like a small child's plastic toy when pressed, like two plastic surfaces rubbing against each other. Been observing this for about a month now. The squeak is too low to be noticed during daily use so I have learnt to ignore it.
You have taken words out of my mouth. Now almost a month and 1950 kms on my Nanook i am loving my ride.

This squeaky noise from the beige handle is very very annoying. I was thinking it is my vehicle only, but now after i read your post it seems a manufacturing issue.
Now i have stopped using the handle and use the cubby hole to pull the door which seems better to me. I know this is not correct, but i cant stand the stupid squeak
Attached Thumbnails
Lazarus: 2015 Hyundai Creta SX+ 1.6L Petrol. EDIT: Now sold!-img_20151013_161206.jpg  

Last edited by nkghai : 13th October 2015 at 16:24.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 19:08   #192
BHPian

I also have the squeaking noise. Anyone can confirm if it would be possible to have the door handles and surrounding plastic areas wrapped with some softer material preferable with some foam inside? Would this anyway affect the airbag operation and what all options would be possible on the sx(o) in terms of plastic areas which can be covered?
Old 13th October 2015, 22:04   #193
BHPian

Quote:
- I have slight trouble while shifting into reverse gear - sometimes it doesn't even engage, even when the beep sounds and the rear camera's display comes up on the HU. Have to slot to 1st, move forward a millimeter or so, then have to engage reverse gear for it to slot fully into it's position. This happens intermittently.
Hi Avi, I am not sure, if you face this issue while directly shifting to reverse from neutral once you start the car or when you move from any other gear to reverse gear, I had the same problem as your's in my Verna, In the manual, there is mention of this to wait for 3 secs before engaging reverse gear from any other gear (1st mostly). Have been following this and have never faced this problem in last 6 odd months. Just try this.

Note: Mine is a diesel, and the gear change mechanism is like slotting 1st gear by pulling a lever underneath the knob

Last edited by karts : 13th October 2015 at 22:05.
karts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 08:53   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the milestone Avi. I dont experience any squeaks on the door handle. Only rattle or sound is from the rear. Have no idea from where but I guess it's the spare wheel that's causing it (started the noise as I had to change the wheel). Planning to put a cloth on the floor. Other than that it's just fine.

BTW, my odometer stands at 3200 kms. Will update my thread early next month when I will have more updates.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:31   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Congrats on the milestone Avi. I dont experience any squeaks on the door handle. Only rattle or sound is from the rear.
Thanks. Good to hear that
BTW it only squeaks when you pull the door.
If you do not have it, means this is a specific issue with some vehicles and is fixable. Will get after the SA during next service

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks