Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 21:25   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
But he did say about this issue in his opening post.

Even Mr. Amarendranath confirms that as he also has the same car.

Actually you might be right because Octavia may have the same issue as both the cars share lot of parts with each other. I remember when I first bought the Polo it had the driver side front window issue. And it happened on the day of delivery itself. Seems like VW is ignoring the quality check before handing it out to the customer. It's not a major issue though and should be able to settle it without much of a hustle.
Problem in Octavia is relates to some noise coming from the mirror while it is being closed.Whereas in Jetta it seems to be related to software.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:48   #32

Re: 2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home

Hi Aseem,

Congratulations. Your entire write up makes a very interesting reading in addition to being a store house of information on buying a mid size car.

I completely agree that CIAZ looks like a Baleno is stuck to a City's posterior. There cannot be a better description.

I own a Skoda Laura (1.8 TSI) the older sibling of the new Octavia. If I were you, would I buy another one (Octavia this time)? Maybe I would for the acceleration, solid built and the way the boot opens and for sheer road presence. But actually I would not, because my Laura is very fond of the Skoda service guys and spends a good time there without much advance notice. That earns me jeers from my wife (she wanted to buy a Corolla), makes me go to office in auto-rickshaws/taxis.... so NO I would not buy an Octavia. I understand your sleepless night after booking an Octavia and then cancelling the booking.

Congrats once again, your car looks great. Wish you happy and safe rides.

And yes, keep us all updated how it is meeting your expectations.
raghvinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 13:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the comments/compliments. Just summarising a few updates:

1. My dining out expenses are going up as I keep looking for excuses to drive the car and therefore am having more dinners than I usually did

2. The colour gets me a lot of compliments, right from being compared to BMW to Audi.

3. This is not the same colour as Vento, is a little darker.

4. If someone wants to drive a Jetta with Govinda songs of 90's please feel free to PM me. As Govinda has made a come back in my car

5. I have ordered Meguiars cleaning products from US including cordless buffer bit for the car and cordless vacuum. Keeping her clean as of now and not allowing anyone to clean her.

6. The car in my *eyes* is looking better then my friends X1. Ignore the badge and the car stands out to be bigger/better.

7. Driving normally but everytime I get a open stretch I get to floor it and wife immediately grabs the door handle as the car gains momentum quickly.

8. Am not getting OVRM or DRL's fogging issue fixed, as I really don't trust the workshop guys. The issues haven't reappeared either.

9. My brother bought a Ford Focus and the American cars are so much loaded when it comes to Interiors, the "Germans" just make things functional... Wanted a wee bit more oomph!

10. Getting oodles of attention and feeling like a *rich* guy which I am not

11. Keep going to Parking Lots and seeing mine is the biggest car... lol (can't add more smileys)

12. The lumbar back support on drivers seat is a boon. Trust me no more back aches with this car.

13. What else? Mmmm I am glad I bought this car. Now hoping to pay it off in 2 years and move on to the next one... But my quest to upgrade just keeps getting harder with every jump!
aseem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 19:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Aseem. To be honest this is the best car I would buy if I had to spend my money. Recently took a test drive as brother was upgrading. I made him drive the diesel AT because I had already fallen in love with the DSG when I drove Anshuman's Laura DSG. He too absolutely loved it but alas it fell out of his budget and he got an XUV.

I would still get this over the Octavia and here are my reasons for it:
1) Better Sales and after Sales support.
2) In my eyes looks more classy.
3) Feels better built and the ride is better, I think.

The only 2 points that Octavia scores is:
1) Being a notchback it has a huge boot, and I mean a huge boot.
2) Electric seats with Memory (which is my fetish) . I am really finicky about seating position getting changes everytime somebody else drives your car or it goes for a clean.

Wish you many many happy miles with the car.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 22:42   #35
BHPian

Congrats Aseem bhai. You have penned this report very well, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Wish you many happy and niggle free miles with the Jetta. Drive safe.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:57   #36
BHPian

Aseem, hi there and sorry to barge in.

I have clocked so far 3449 km on my jetta 2.0 L TDI dsg, mostly on high ways. In my last trip, on a 368 km night high way run with five hefty adults on S mode the car gave me 17.3 km per litre. That too, I did not bother to kill the engine during one tea stop and two more stops to wash room. to keep the AC going.

Regarding the head light misting inside, it happened with me also. I observed misty condensation inside the head lamps after stopping for some time, after the car is driven long stretch in rainy weather. (Please see photos) I have taken up with VW through e mail and they said they will rectify. The dealership (TVS VW Mount Road, Chennai) contacted me and said that they will pick up the car and get it done. Get what and how done is a Million Deutsche marks (or Euros) question. I do not know whether the moisture ingress is the moisture left over during making of the lamp which got sealed inside or it is fresh ingress during high speed runs in rains. I do not know how much we can trust the guys at dealership or whether the fit and finish will be maintained after they do a job.

Any advise? To give or not to give? Or insist on do in my presence?

And the car is a darling, smooth as silk and was easily taking on competitions on road except couple of mercs
Attached Thumbnails
2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-average-17.3.jpg  

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-dist-368.jpg  

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-mist-inside-head-lamp.jpg  

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-misting-condensation-left-head-light.jpg  

2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home-right-hl-misting-condensation.jpg  

Old 31st October 2014, 19:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments/compliments. Just summarising a few updates:
2. The colour gets me a lot of compliments, right from being compared to BMW to Audi.
3. This is not the same colour as Vento, is a little darker.
5. I have ordered Meguiars cleaning products from US including cordless buffer bit for the car and cordless vacuum. Keeping her clean as of now and not allowing anyone to clean her.
6. The car in my *eyes* is looking better then my friends X1. Ignore the badge and the car stands out to be bigger/better.
7. Driving normally but everytime I get a open stretch I get to floor it and wife immediately grabs the door handle as the car gains momentum quickly.
8. Am not getting OVRM or DRL's fogging issue fixed, as I really don't trust the workshop guys. The issues haven't reappeared either.
9. My brother bought a Ford Focus and the American cars are so much loaded when it comes to Interiors, the "Germans" just make things functional... Wanted a wee bit more oomph!
10. Getting oodles of attention and feeling like a *rich* guy which I am not
12. The lumbar back support on drivers seat is a boon. Trust me no more back aches with this car.
13. What else? Mmmm I am glad I bought this car. Now hoping to pay it off in 2 years and move on to the next one... But my quest to upgrade just keeps getting harder with every jump!
2. Ditto with me.
3. In fact, my preferred colour was Blue. But my son cast his vote for Toffee Brown and then my wife cast her deciding vote with him.
5. When you talk about cleaning. Does the car paint require any treatment or additional protection like 3M? Or has it come with a treatment. Dealership says it is not required. Any comments?
7. Now my wife is used to sudden surges leaving competition behind. In fact I feel safer that way.
10, 12, 13.. ha..ha..Ditto here.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 20:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Aseem, hi there and sorry to barge in.

Any advise? To give or not to give? Or insist on do in my presence?

And the car is a darling, smooth as silk and was easily taking on competitions on road except couple of mercs
My advise is not to get the car touched and just get them to note you are experiencing this issue. This is what I am following.

Regards to FE in Bangalore traffic with avg speed being 15 kmph I am getting 10.7 kmpl and I am extremely ok with it.

In regards to Alvandar Sir's question I recommend getting car waxed and preferably polished. The price for wash/wax is 900-1500 Rs and Polish would set you back by 3500 to 4500 Rs depending on where you get it done.

Ordered tons of stuff:

1. Meguiar's complete car care kit

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G5503...ds=meguiar+kit

2. Meguiars Tire and Wheel Gloss

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Mothers Wax

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05500-...others+car+wax

4. Cordless Vacuum

5. Meguiars Ultimate Polish

6. Meguiar Polish Tool

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G3500...=meguair+drill

Tons of microfiber clothes, Mothers wheel brush, sun shade, car cover and what not. In a way the way I am spending, I might as well end up spending the discount that I got for a 2014 vs 2015 model. Stupid me

Last edited by aseem : 31st October 2014 at 20:46.
aseem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 21:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
My advise is not to get the car touched and just get them to note you are experiencing this issue.

In regards to Alvandar Sir's question I recommend getting car waxed and preferably polished. The price for wash/wax is 900-1500 Rs and Polish would set you back by 3500 to 4500 Rs depending on where you get it done.

Ordered tons of stuff:

Tons of microfiber clothes, Mothers wheel brush, sun shade, car cover and what not. In a way the way I am spending, I might as well end up spending the discount that I got for a 2014 vs 2015 model. Stupid me
Thanks for the advise. I just now read in a Honda City v4 thread that on complaints of head lamp fogging, the company changed the head lamps under warranty. In my opinion also, that would be the right thing to do.

VW dealership says even waxing/ polishing is not necessary for one year. The paint work and the gloss is really excellent. I will take a call.

I think polishing is better avoided till such time the paint work really shows fine scratches. This is my 2 paisa worth thinking.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advise. I just now read in a Honda City v4 thread that on complaints of head lamp fogging, the company changed the head lamps under warranty. In my opinion also, that would be the right thing to do.

VW dealership says even waxing/ polishing is not necessary for one year. The paint work and the gloss is really excellent. I will take a call.

I think polishing is better avoided till such time the paint work really shows fine scratches. This is my 2 paisa worth thinking.
How about 3M wrap to protect the exterior finish? Will cost at least around 25k i guess for the Jetta but probably worth it?
Old 31st October 2014, 21:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
How about 3M wrap to protect the exterior finish? Will cost at least around 25k i guess for the Jetta but probably worth it?
I was thinking on these lines but it should not cost more than 6k. But VW people say even that is not necessary.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:50   #42
BHPian

Regarding the misting inside headlamps, I have observed this on a range of cars from various makers.

If the cap for bulb replacement is air tight also, misting happens at times in which case there is some trapped vaporizing material inside the head lamp. If you read the caution note on any automotive bulbs, they caution you not to even touch the bulb surface with bare hands because that slight oil content from your fingers can vaporize and cause mist too. I was surprised to read this the first time. Means misting could be caused by as much as just the oil from the touch of a finger. So imagine opening the headlamp bulb cover even if for inspection in a humid atmosphere. The air that gets in would be sufficient to cause misting for quite some time.

When I installed new headlamps on my Yeti, initially I observed misting. Even when I took delivery of BMW, initially there was some misting which when inquired about, the A.S.S. had no clue as to why it would happen. Din't feel like giving it to their hands when I saw the confidence. However I checked if the caps/covers for bulbs were sealing properly and left it to observe. I think this happens only till the air inside dries up completely. After some time, I have not faced misting in either car's head lamps.

I would advice against letting the A.S.S. try their luck with your car too soon. Better watch it for sometime and see if it goes off on its own. Just ensure the caps behind the headlamps are properly sealed and air tight. These are just my observations and thoughts. Felt like sharing them when I read about misting problems mentioned here.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 22:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking on these lines but it should not cost more than 6k. But VW people say even that is not necessary.
He is talking about PPF which for Jetta is 75K. Thats like a plastic sticker on paint.

They also do that for bumpers, door sills etc for 15k.

I just put 100 Rs of 3M door protectors from Ebay myself. Would upload pictures tomorrow.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 23:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
He is talking about PPF which for Jetta is 75K. Thats like a plastic sticker on paint.
They also do that for bumpers, door sills etc for 15k.
I just put 100 Rs of 3M door protectors from Ebay myself. Would upload pictures tomorrow.
Thanks and pardon my ignorance. I was confusing with Birla 3M Teflon coat of good old days, with Birla 3M Scotchgard PPF.

Got it. Does it cost 0.75 L? I think one can consider limited areas.

http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/Our-Services.aspx/10

(go on this link, select option Scotchgard)
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and pardon my ignorance. I was confusing with Birla 3M Teflon coat of good old days, with Birla 3M Scotchgard PPF.

Got it. Does it cost 0.75 L? I think one can consider limited areas.

http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/Our-Services.aspx/10

(go on this link, select option Scotchgard)
You may not need to get the entire car wrapped but the bumpers, mirrors and door areas should be enough. I've my Ecosport wrapped all over + got the underbody treatment done and that cost me 30k an year ago in July. But in peak office traffic where two wheels regularly scape against cars, it has been absolutely worth the money!
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks