Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 18:35   #31
Team-BHP Support

Oh!

So they have not passed on the excise benefits to the customers- that's bad. I thought the prices for GT variants are not announced.

Should be close to 10L on road in Bangalore.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 8th August 2014, 19:16   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Oh!

So they have not passed on the excise benefits to the customers- that's bad. I thought the prices for GT variants are not announced.

Should be close to 10L on road in Bangalore.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Yup. They bumped up the prices of the 90PS since it's significant engine upgrade.

for the GT TDI they have not passed on the benefit. But they haven't increased the prices from the older GT TDI which is good since the features have improved like cornering lights, steering wheel with BT controls and the rest of the improvements from the refresh.
Old 8th August 2014, 19:44   #33
BHPian

I see a lot of people mentioning that the brakes have improved. could someone share in what ways has it improved ?

is the brake size bigger than before or is it reconfigured to provide more bite ? or is it a different brake part/component all together ?

thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 19:59   #34
BHPian

Does anyone have any reliable info if the GT TDI will be launched in an automatic avatar? Read this somewhere.
Old 8th August 2014, 20:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Does anyone have any reliable info if the GT TDI will be launched in an automatic avatar? Read this somewhere.
After introducing 1.5L/90bhp engine in the normal Polo, launching GT variant in the automatic avatar makes more sense now.

Ideally what they should have done is offer the 90HP in the base and mid variants only where mid variant already comes with all the safety equipments of top variant. Then offer 105bhp engine in the top end variant of the normal Polo which would have justified its higher price tag. Also there would have been a manual version of 105bhp powered Polo on offer. Then bring the GT TDI in automatic avatar with the DSG. By doing that, there would have been lot more wider variety to satisfy needs of different classes.

Though not complaining, Polo range still looks very extensive which is rare to find in the affordable segments.

Unfortunately haven't heard any such confirmed information so far.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th August 2014 at 20:22.
Old 8th August 2014, 23:58   #36
BHPian

Got redirected here from the thread with subject, Re: Summary of changes: 2014 VW Polo.

Today walked into the VW showroom as I have been fancying a DSG since introduction and Polo being the cheapest DSG is one car I have been following closely, of course it hasn't translated to an purchase urge yet for several reasons, but could not resist walking into the premises for an update today.
Didn't know that all they launched newly is a new diesel and the DSG will be launched a month later. Didn't opt for a test drive but spent 40 mins just touching, feeling and observing.
Though too similar, the front looks slightly better, I didn't like the silver accent in the headlight assembly, liked it simple like in the earlier one. Looks like there is better quality applied on this one, the upper half of the dashboard carried a mildly soft to touch plastic, this I noted is only for the top variant, I don't like the hard plastics they offer on the Vento and earlier Polo, the Fabia has better plastics here, also didn't like the silver finish on the center console. Its a low seating car and space is at a premium in the rear but I believe it is similar to other hot hatches like Punto or Swift.
I hope they price it attractively, anyways the Vento is 2.3L more expensive, no point as the boot will hardly be used and the driver hand rest can be retrofitted in the Polo I guess. Slammed the doors of the Vento and the Polo and the Vento feels better built, (if someone can confirm it will be great) so that's a trade off I guess.
I hate it when the showroom reps are not fully trained to handle customer queries and beat around the bush, asked the strengths of the car and he started with 5 year paint warranty and under body coating etc, any ways I wasn't interested in listening so interrupted and asked him how this compares with the new Honda City as it is in the same price point and he started again on how the City door panels get deformed easily while the Vento wont, again interrupted and asked him, give me the GT TSI engine figures and whether there are any mechanical changes, by now he felt I was annoyed and excused himself to check with another colleague and came back and confirmed that there are none except for these subtle changes in looks. He confirmed that 2 years extended warranty is offered.
I have left my number for a Polo GT TSI test drive, lets see how things materialize.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 9th August 2014 at 00:00.
Old 11th August 2014, 10:46   #37
BHPian

Hi Adi,

Took the test drive of Polo Diesel 1.5L Highline.

Since its for my wife, she did the beginning and she was much impressed with the gear shift as it did not required to be down shifted for sudden stop-start (surprisingly) and U-turns.

Later I took the wheels and went for the maximum Rev of engine, crossing 100 marks in third gear. Yes the engine seems to cry (I felt it) but for a good insulation, we were good inside.
Well it now between Grand i10 and Polo as the primary criteria is that my wife liking and its not limited to just color.

Polo do not have many color choices, while the Grand i10 has.

We will drive back to back both the cars before finalizing.
Old 11th August 2014, 20:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Adi,

Took the test drive of Polo Diesel 1.5L Highline.

Since its for my wife, she did the beginning and she was much impressed with the gear shift as it did not required to be down shifted for sudden stop-start (surprisingly) and U-turns.

Polo do not have many color choices, while the Grand i10 has.

We will drive back to back both the cars before finalizing.

Hi. I recommend the Polo since you said, there is no need to downshift while taking U turns, etc, pick up is very linear, and runs smooth all the way, except when revving really hard, anything above 3K RPM is not pleasing.
I have driven the diesel i10 Grand, but there is definite need to shift down especially on slopes and speed bumps. If you consider the Automatic variant in the i10 Grand, you won't be disappointed though.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 09:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi. I recommend the Polo since you said, there is no need to downshift while...
I have driven the diesel i10 Grand,.... If you consider the Automatic variant in the i10 Grand, you won't be disappointed though.
Hi

Unfortunately Grand Diesel does not have Automatic version.

Yesterday did the Grand i10 Diesel test drive and was sort of disappointed. I would say that its a pricey car and only for feature loving people.

The engine and gearbox is disappointment.
Even I had problem with visibility all around due to high dashboard & rear set-up.

I think the Petrol would be good but not interested in petrol.
Old 17th August 2014, 23:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

Drove the new facelifted Polo TDI today immediately after driving the Elite i20.

The changes to the front really do uplift the looks. Dual barrel lights and chrome on the bumper really add to the looks.

Inside changes are welcome as well. Love the fact that all variants come with dual airbags. The silver finish on the centre console and white MID lighting do lift up the interiors but the piece de resistance inside is that new flat bottom steering wheel. Piano black finish, silver accents and the soft leather stitching is sheer class. Space at the back is as bad as before and not worth mentioning.

Now onto the drive of the new 1.5TDI . Surprisingly it did not blow me away as I expected. It is most definitely a huge improvement over the old 1.2L Diesel, no question about that. So I'll summarize my observations into what I liked and what I didn't:

What I liked:
- Performance is ofcourse much better than the older 1.2L diesel.
- Turbo lag is there but not exaggerated. It can pull in second if needed.
- Acceleration is very linear with just a mild push at ~2000rpm
- Steering is not lifeless like before. Has some weight to it.
- Suspension felt quieter and more absorbent.

What I didn't like:
- NVH levels are still high. Not only can you hear the diesel engine, there are vibrations that filter through.
- Gear shifts are not as notchy as before but definitely not slick. First gear was difficult to engage all the time requiring a very firm push.
- Performance is nowhere as explosive as the GT TDI and for some reason it did not feel as rev happy as the 1.6 TDI. That's to be expected so I'm not complaining.
- Clutch is on heavier side with long travel and very springy. Difficult to drive in traffic.

So basically while it's a huge improvement over the 1.2L TDI, it's still not a perfect package in my opinion. I think I'm getting old but I liked the smooth, softer feel of the Elite i20 over the Polo. I even drove the 1.2L petrol and that confirmed the i20 was in a different league when it comes to refinement and NVH.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 00:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think I'm getting old but I liked the smooth, softer feel of the Elite i20 over the Polo. I even drove the 1.2L petrol and that confirmed the i20 was in a different league when it comes to refinement and NVH.
Thanks!

This is a regular Polo which is meant for the Janata and so, is comparable only to the earlier 3 pot engine. Updated GT version (Higher tune) is yet to be launched and that should take care of rest of us...

Did you find any difference with the brakes? I heard that the brakes were upgraded as well.. Brakes were a bit weak in the initial Polo..

How does Elite i20 ride and handle with respect to New Polo?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 18th August 2014 at 00:07.
Old 18th August 2014, 00:17   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Did you find any difference with the brakes? I heard that the brakes were upgraded as well.. Brakes were a bit weak in the initial Polo..

How does Elite i20 ride and handle with respect to New Polo?
It's been a while since I have driven the 3 pot polo TDI so I can't comment on the braking. Performance was something I could not forget since it was quite poor before and was the reason I shifted to the Figo in 2010.

Coming to ride and handling, the ride in the new i20 is better at city speeds. Since I did not have the roads to cross 80kmph, I can tell you the i20 suspension felt much nicer; firm but not too firm and not bouncy.

The Polo was also excellent. Suspension is even stiffer and doesn't absorb as well as i20 but not bone jarring stiff.

My guess is handling will set them apart but since I was limited to short drives on the Outer ring road with no corners to speak of, I can't say which is better. That will have to be covered in our official review.

PS: here's my short drive of the i20 Petrol.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th August 2014 at 00:19.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 16:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Any news on the launch of the GT variants .
I thought VW would launch the GT variants by 15th of August, but it didn't happen.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 21:56   #44
DWC
BHPian

Quote:

This is a regular Polo which is meant for the Janata and so, is comparable only to the earlier 3 pot engine.
I'm sorry, I do not agree with your statement that the new engine 'is comparable only to the earlier 3 pot engine'.

It is comparable to every other diesel engine currently running on hatchbacks across the country. And apart from NVH levels, it smokes the rest of the competition away.

Although it is a 'regular' polo which is meant for the 'janta', so are the Swift, Punto and i20 Elite. And the only reason its a 'regular' Polo like you so aptly put it, is because VW have another cat in the bag, with the GT badging unlike the rest of the competition.

Let's not talk about the Punto Evo 90 hp here, as it really compares to the 'regular' Polo.

Quote:

Updated GT version (Higher tune) is yet to be launched and that should take care of rest of us...
As for waiting for the updated GT, I would be careful about throwing pearls before swine. The enthusiast in me would rather get the 'regular' polo, tune it to my liking, and have a bunch of money left over for other goodies. But that's just me.

Since both variants share the same 1.5 TDI engine, the new gen GT loses out on the appeal that its older sibling had.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 22:42   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post

Since both variants share the same 1.5 TDI engine, the new gen GT loses out on the appeal that its older sibling had.
This is precisely the reason why VW should strongly consider mating an AT to the new GT TDI. If VW is readying a Vento TDI DSG, I see no reason why they should not consider the same engine-transmission combination for the GT TDI. Although it would help distinguish the GT from the garden-variety diesel, this proposition seems unlikely.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks