Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 12:24   #16
DWC
BHPian

Re: 2014 VW Polo 1.5L TDI: Test-Drive Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
Those should be easier jobs, the handbrake and gear lever. In cars with fabric on the door trim, I've seen these done as a package, that is door trim, gear, handbrake. Also, for the steering, VW might just replace the steering with a factory-leather-fitted unit instead of getting it installed.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I think it would make more sense to get it done aftermarket all at once. Orchis would be able to do this quite easily. Ill enquire about whether the steering wrap would be factory fitted or not.
Old 29th July 2014, 18:48   #17
BHPian

Thanks to all the reviewers of the new Polo , nice to see the improvements by Volkswagen in "flesh". Without doubt, one of the sturdiest hatchbacks in India. Sends out a positive vibe as they seem to be taking note of customer feedback and acting on it rather than just rolling out facelifts with merely cosmetic changes and stickers !
Old 30th July 2014, 09:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

This weekend was unusually long, considering that I was on a planned leave Monday. Since, we were quite drained Fun-motionally & Financially by Monday, thought of dropping by at VW Palace Cross for a quick TD of the 1.5 TDI along with a cousin who was keen on the new Polo.

So, I am going to give a quick comparison of the 1.5 TDI vs GT TDI:

- Diesel clatter seems to be a tad bit better on the 1.5 TDI from within the cabin compared to my GT TDI. On the outside, I could not make out any difference.

- There is no urgency/surge when the 1.5 TDI is floored, unlike the GT TDI which gets a bit scary at times because of the thrust.

- I am not sure if the previous point is the reason for the feel of 'Better Braking' on the 1.5 TDI. It feels a bit better than my GT TDI.

- Steering feel is still not as good as my GT TDI. This could be due to 205 section rubber on my GT. But man the Flat bottom steering on the Polo 2014 is sublime.

- Dead pedal was somewhere in between 'Intruisive' & 'Boon'. I am not sure if this is because of me getting used to my GT.

- Torque is brilliant on the 1.5 TDI and until one really floors it or drives a GT TDI back to back, it is quite difficult to differentiate the two.

- The seats feel a tad bit softer on my GT TDI compared to the 2014 Polo. Not sure if this is due to the fabric used.

- The suspension on the 2014 Polo seems to be tuned towards softer performance compared to the GT. But noways is it as soft and jumpy as on say an I20.

The VW may have a huge area for improvement in the customer focus & experience but I honestly feel that they are not taking Indian market & customer as a dumping ground.

They seem to be really working on their loop holes quite a bit, which at the moment, is to back up their customers. Unlike few other big players in the market, VW have a strong product which in itself is a first step towards quality towards customer.

And I feel that if they are able to work towards & build Customer relationship positively. in a span of may be 10 years, they could be one of the strongest contenders for 'Indian Automobile Throne.'

Last edited by Vik0728 : 30th July 2014 at 10:00.
Vik0728 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
- There is no urgency/surge when the 1.5 TDI is floored, unlike the GT TDI which gets a bit scary at times because of the thrust.

They seem to be really working on their loop holes quite a bit, which at the moment, is to back up their customers. Unlike few other big players in the market, VW have a strong product which in itself is a first step towards quality towards customer.
Someone on this thread agrees with me ! The missing surge is the only weak point although most customers will be happy with linear behaviour. I just hope that the new '14 1.5 GT is as mad as your 1.6. Would be the only true hot hatch on the market apart from the TSI of course.

Certainly hearing better things about VW service as well from those who I know. Also, the fact that they have upgraded the Polo 3 times proves that they are learning from their mistakes. I truly wish this car was available 2 years ago!
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 18:00   #20
BANNED

Thank you sir for the comaprision.

Quote:
- Diesel clatter seems to be a tad bit better on the 1.5 TDI from within the cabin compared to my GT TDI.
The surge is present once the needle reaches 2000 RPM. After that the pull is nicely felt.

Quote:
Haven't driven the GT TDI (older one) but the turbo lag in the 1.5L TDI is decent and not at all alarming.

Quote:
- Dead pedal was somewhere in between 'Intruisive' & 'Boon'. I am not sure if this is because of me getting used to my GT.
In the drive that I had, the dead pedal didn't intrude while operating the clutch.

Quote:
- The suspension on the 2014 Polo seems to be tuned towards softer performance compared to the GT. But noways is it as soft and jumpy as on say an I20.
No boat like handling of the i20 and not as sharp as my Swift but yes it is nearing the Swift in terms of handling.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 11:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dealer in Ahmedabad has promised me delivery of TSI Polo in first week September. Although I did not go ahead with the booking because I feel the car is more of a 'left over', than a 'make over'. Would rather wait for New Jazz and i20. Of course if one is okay with the step motherly treatment of VW AG towards Indian consumers then sure, buy it no matter what, mechanicals are identical to the old car as such. People cribbing about the empty bulb housing in the fog lamp, thats for DRL halogens in Eu models, and not for cornering. Always cornering lights work with fog lamps, on almost all VW group cars. Do we not remember the Laura? It had DRL on the outer side of fog lamps and actual cornering feature would be only via fog lamps, when head lights are turned on of course.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:23   #22
BHPian

Your review has covered practically everything. Very well written indeed.

I checked out the car last week.

Things I observed are as follows:

1) The dead pedal is a waste in this vehicle, as its not adequately spaced from the clutch pedal.
2) I loved the new look of the new steering in the highline variant with its chrome border. But the silver finish for the center console, put me off.
3) The rear felt cramped. Best for only 2 individuals or 3 kids.
4) The braking and ride quality has improved, but steering lacks feedback.
5) The highline variant is priced at 9.30 in Bangalore and the GT variant is expected to cost 9.95 on road. In Karnataka the road tax is 20-22%.

To sum it up, the polo 1.5 is a good drivers' car.

I am waiting for GT variant, and then I will take a call.

What do you guys think, can an engine remap for the current polo do away with the GT variant. Even a remap will cost atleast 50k.
Old 8th August 2014, 16:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
I am waiting for GT variant, and then I will take a call.

What do you guys think, can an engine remap for the current polo do away with the GT variant. Even a remap will cost atleast 50k.
If GT version comes with 1.6 TDI, it would be a good buy. A remap would set you back by 20-25Ks not 50Ks and moreover its customizable according to your requirement and type of driving.

If GT comes with the 1.5 TDI engine, personally I would not waste my money on it. I will get a mid variant and remap. It's not very hard to extract 15 BHP more from that engine.

Last edited by linuxmanju : 8th August 2014 at 16:47. Reason: Typo corrected
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 17:12   #24
BHPian

[quote=linuxmanju;3500852]If GT version comes with 1.6 TDI, it would be a good buy.QUOTE]

VW is planning to launch the new GT in September with a performance tuned 1.5 motor.

Some dealers have even started accepting booking. I find that ridriculous. For me, I have to test drive the car, and then decide.

As per their information the new GT will have exactly the same equipment level as the Highline variant of the present Polo.
Old 8th August 2014, 17:21   #25
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
If GT version comes with 1.6 TDI, it would be a good buy. A remap would set you back by 20-25Ks not 50Ks and moreover its customizable according to your requirement and type of driving.

If GT comes with the 1.5 TDI engine, personally I would not waste my money on it. I will get a mid variant and remap. It's not very hard to extract 15 BHP more from that engine.
The GT TDI will come with the same engine as the regular Polo TDI, only with a higher state of tune.

For the price point that it is offered at, it should come with better interiors and features for it to be of any real value.
Maybe the GT will have the exact same features that the international polo has? If wishes were horses...

By the way, the SA at Volkswagen Downtown told me that the only differential factor between the TDI and the GT TDI will be the higher state of tune. But he has given me wrong information in the past, so I took that with a (wishful) pinch of salt.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 17:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

This has got nothing to do with:

- 1.5 TDI BHP or Torque figures.
- Driving dynamics or steering feel.
- Seating comfort or efficiancy.

Simply put, German Build Quality.

Motorbeam has this really interesting and jawdropping report Here.

Teaser...

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th August 2014 at 17:50.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 17:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Simply put, [b]German Build Quality.

[/IMG]
I hope you are not serious about this one Acc. to the report, the chassis disintegrated along with many other damages. Probably, discussed on another thread.

One of the comments is really funny "OMG! The Elephant was so Rich that he has Volkswagen polo For itching himself!"

Last edited by saket77 : 8th August 2014 at 17:54.
Old 8th August 2014, 17:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
For the price point that it is offered at, it should come with better interiors and features for it to be of any real value.

Maybe the GT will have the exact same features that the international polo has? If wishes were horses...
What price point?

Earlier there was a big difference between the highline Polo and the GT TDi mainly because the former had significantly less tax burden.

Now, with both versions having the same mechanicals- price difference should be less, or even if there is a significant price difference- VW should be able to justify the difference with features.

I hope the issue with weak brakes are addressed this time around. Rest all can wait, since the regular Polo itself if a very formidable package now.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 8th August 2014, 18:23   #29
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What price point?
The new GT is priced the same as the old GT, even though they've reduced the cubic capacity, which should technically translate into a cheaper car due to reduced taxation. This has not happened.

We can hope for a more kitted car, that would justify the pricing. However, since the new GT will get all the upgrades that came to the new polo as well as a higher state of tune for the engine, I have a feeling that they will end it at that.

If that's the case, then the new GT TDI will not be what it used to be (prior to the facelift). Time will tell.
Old 8th August 2014, 18:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What price point?
I went to VW Showroom today to book my GT TDI and to my surprise they had the price list which had the pricing of the upcoming new GT twins, I was surprised, I checked with all possible folks surrounding and they all confirmed the same.

Both the twins are priced at 7.99 ex-showroom Delhi.

TSI on-road (Delhi) is coming to be 8.98
TDI on-road (Delhi) is coming to be 9.16

Last edited by Bubby : 8th August 2014 at 18:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks