Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 10:04   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

That ECM mounted display looks really dim and the price is on the higher side as well. I suppose it would be the same OEM system for the Ciaz, in that case its a huge disappointment.

However, as an aftermarket accessory, it is way better than the add-on display type reverse camera systems available in the market. Here's what happened to my uncle's Swift DZire with such a system fitted - the mount is barely able to hold on to the weight and might give up soon.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140913_145919.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 21:20   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Read your thread now. Thats such a great story. Really touched the heart. The way you narrated it was simply fantastic, from the first word to the last. Congrats for bringing a smile on your Dad's face. The pains you took are really commendable.

Wishing him (and you) a very happy mile crunching experience with this new car!
Thank you so much for the wishes, AkMar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Reading this thread was like watching a Indian movie /soap and the emotions that we Indians can so very well connect to. Hats off to you for understanding your dad's needs and more importantly taking care of it.

Also btw, very well written thread, which I am sure would have been the first thing to be appreciated in a normal case, but emotions in this thread over power it hands down.

And to your dad : Happy driving for many years to come, Sir!!
Thank you so much, isandy. He's been really happy the past couple of months, and I am glad I have given him a reason to smile again.

Sometimes when he's going out in the evening and I want the Swift to run an errand, he simply waves me off. "Take your Empress! The Swift's mine!" comes the pat reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Wow. Your penmanship got tears in my eyes, a smile on my face and I immediately called my cheta and asked him to read this thread.

Simply brilliant.

This has to be one of best write-ups in team bhp. I missed it all this time, and that is a real pity.

The bond that you share with your dad is clearly evident and your dad is indeed lucky to have a son like you.

Wish your dad many happy years of motoring.

I too test drove the Xcent 1.2 sx(o) and I share your dad's view as well. I too have a Swift a Dzire diesel thou, and a Ritz diesel.The Swift Diesel still brings a smile on my face everytime I drive, even after 5 years.
Thank you, ortho_surgeon.

Yes, the Grand i10/XCent appeal to the mind. But when it comes to the Marutis, you can always follow your heart. There is something about the engineering, all faults notwithstanding. As rightly said by Anurag earlier, India does come home in a Maruti-Suzuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good to see the cabin filter installed on the Silver Queen. So do you find any difference in the A/C functioning and cooling efficiency? I know it is to early for you to give this feedback.

I am to looking at installing the RPAS on my Swift. Will be hooked here for feedback and long-term reliability.

Thanks buddy for the update.
The cooling effectiveness has definitely increased. The past 4-5 days have been really hot but the ACC has brought the cabin temperature down to 25ºC (our preferred temperature setting) in no time. We still don't have any sunfilm or sun shade for any of our cars, and I must admit that the Climate Control system is a real boon. Unlike normal AC systems, it doesn't chill the face, fingers and the bones and keeps the cabin cool enough.

And yes, the RPAS system is very helpful, specially for ageing drivers like Dad. He can reverse a bit more freely now, aided by the sensors and the camera. I am glad it's helping him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That ECM mounted display looks really dim and the price is on the higher side as well. I suppose it would be the same OEM system for the Ciaz, in that case its a huge disappointment.

However, as an aftermarket accessory, it is way better than the add-on display type reverse camera systems available in the market. Here's what happened to my uncle's Swift DZire with such a system fitted - the mount is barely able to hold on to the weight and might give up soon.
The ZXI/ZDI might have the same system (will get clarification tomorrow).

Yikes! Thanks for posting that, my friend. I was thinking of getting a Xenos display similar to the one you posted and swap it with the MGA one (for a clearer screen, Bluetooth, etc.), but now I am having second thoughts.

---------------------------------------------------

Silver Queen crossed the 1,000-km mark earlier today. She came into our life on 6th August, so that makes it 2 months on the dot. Dad is supremely happy with his car, and I am glad I could make a difference, however small, in his life for him. Let it continue for as long as it can!

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20141005_184423.jpg

Got a set of body-colored door protectors for Silver Queen a few days back, to prevent the door edges from getting scratched. Cost me Rs. 300/-.

Only gripe I have whenever I am driving her - the OEM tyres, the MRF ZVTVs, have really wide grooves. Small pebbles get stuck inside them everytime we do a journey. It's getting annoying to pull them out after every completed trip. If I don't do it, the tak-tak sound from the tyres and the slight, uneven rides (on slow speeds) irritates to no end.

Give something else, Maruti-Suzuki! Even the Apollos on our Ritz were much better in this respect!
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 12:52   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Dad went past the 2,000-km mark earlier this week, i.e., on the 16th of December, which is into the 5th month of his ownership.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_1278.jpg

No complaints so far, it's been smooth sailing. Silver Queen has been an adorable workhorse for him, and he dotes on her as if she's the sole love of his life!

Some observations:

- The driver's seat squeaks slightly (under weight) when the car makes a quick turn around the corner, or the roads get uneven under the wheels.

- I literally feel a whirr! sound when I turn the steering completely on either side, as if I am winding up a wire tightly. Is this normal? Didn't pay attention if this was happening from the beginning.

- The 2 cabin lamps which I had gotten installed earlier, are producing the odd kich-kich sound on uneven roads, specially the one which was mounted on the rear parcel tray.

- The IRVM unit, which came bundled with the RPAS system, keeps slanting downwards on it's own and requires frequent adjustment for the rear view. I suspect a loose screw. A job for the second service due next month-end.

Also, I have noticed that Dad doesn't let her idle during morning starts, despite my constant reminders to him to do so (Idling = engine crank up, RPM starts at ~1400, then after about 12-15 seconds, drops down to ~900). He starts moving almost immediately after cranking up. Would this affect the engine too much or should I not worry about it?
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 12:55   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Also, I have noticed that Dad doesn't let her idle during morning starts, despite my constant reminders to him to do so (Idling = engine crank up, RPM starts at ~1400, then after about 12-15 seconds, drops down to ~900). He starts moving almost immediately after cranking up. Would this affect the engine too much or should I not worry about it?
It's ok as long as he doesn't rev the engine straight away. The few seconds of idling allow the oil to circulate and warm up. Oil works best when warmed up. As long as he just drives very slow at low rpm's for initial few minutes you are fine. Starting the motor and revving away can lead to long term damage.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 13:20   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's ok as long as he doesn't rev the engine straight away. The few seconds of idling allow the oil to circulate and warm up. Oil works best when warmed up. As long as he just drives very slow at low rpm's for initial few minutes you are fine. Starting the motor and revving away can lead to long term damage.
Thanks, Vid.

He doesn't move rightaway - a couple of seconds after cranking, he slots in the reverse gear and (thankfully) the two sensors on either end of the rear bumper start beeping - by detecting our legwear stash (on the left) and wall (on the right), which makes him check the IRVM display for a few more seconds, before he starts easing out slowly from our garage space. He moves the car out, pauses for a few more seconds, before slotting in the 1st and moving forward. The whole operation takes about 20-25 seconds, 30 at the max.

He's a pretty sedate driver and doesn't move upto the 3rd gear (beyond 20-25 kph) until he's well past the gates of our colony.

I was wondering if this routine could be a cause of worry during the ultra-cold mornings we are having right now (it's not past 10°C until 10 AM). It's been a very harsh winter so far.
Old 21st December 2014, 18:39   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Dad went past the 2,000-km mark earlier this week, i.e., on the 16th of December, which is into the 5th month of his ownership.
Congrats for the milestone!

Quote:
Quote:
The whole operation takes about 20-25 seconds, 30 at the max.

He's a pretty sedate driver and doesn't move upto the 3rd gear (beyond 20-25 kph) until he's well past the gates of our colony.
As you say, the whole operation takes 30 seconds minimum which is good enough for the start as by then the oil would have reached the required places. Also you say he is a sedate driver so he won't be revving the engine during he drive for it to be a problem in the long term.

Here in Hyderabad it takes me 10 kms @ 60-65 kmph in 5th gear for the engine to reach the optimum mark as the temperature is between 11-13 deg C. In normal days it reaches the optimum temperature within 6 kms.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:46   #97
BHPian

Hello RavenAvi sir,
Good to see that Swift is doing its job as expected and moreover your Dad is happy.
I have an issue in my brothers Swift. Yesterday when checked the oil level through dipstick, it showed the level at 65-75% between the minimum and maximum markings.
Its low isn't it? And should I get it checked at MASS.

A bit of background: Few days back I had noticed oil drops where the car is parked, so took it to MASS and they said that filter was loose and they tightened it and told that not much oil is spilled and the level is okay. That was when odo was around 2400 kms, now it's 3000 kms.

Request you to kindly check the oil level when engine is cold using dipstick whenever your time permits.
Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:08   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I have an issue in my brothers Swift. Yesterday when checked the oil level through dipstick, it showed the level at 65-75% between the minimum and maximum markings.

No problem at all. The oil level must be between 'Min' and 'Max'. If you are noticing any leaks get it checked at MASS.

Do top up the oil 'IF' the level goes below 'Min'.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:13   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello RavenAvi sir,
Good to see that Swift is doing its job as expected and moreover your Dad is happy.

A bit of background: Few days back I had noticed oil drops where the car is parked, so took it to MASS and they said that filter was loose and they tightened it and told that not much oil is spilled and the level is okay. That was when odo was around 2400 kms, now it's 3000 kms.

Request you to kindly check the oil level when engine is cold using dipstick whenever your time permits.
Thanks.
Always better to check oil level after parking the car overnight. That is when you will get reliable readings.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:39   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Always better to check oil level after parking the car overnight. That is when you will get reliable readings.
Thanks Anurag and Parag Sir!
Yes I checked the oil level in the morning only. The leak was found around a month back when I spotted oil marks where the car is parked. I got it rectified from MASS and they told oil level is Okay but I forgot to check the dipstick myself at that time.

Sorry RavenSir for spamming your thread.
I have also posted the problem here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3614180
So let's discuss it over there.
Thanks.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 15:45   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello RavenAvi sir,
Thanks, Sherlocked! BTW, just Avi will suffice. No need to add "sir", my friend.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No problem at all. The oil level must be between 'Min' and 'Max'. If you are noticing any leaks get it checked at MASS.

Do top up the oil 'IF' the level goes below 'Min'.
+1.

Absolutely no problem. As long as the oil level doesn't drop below the minimum mark, you have no cause of worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Absolutely correct. Cold oil shows the exact level.

Quote:
Was your car recently serviced? Usually, careless technicians forget to tighten the oil cap/filters after checking/changing fluid levels. Could have been the cause of your problem.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Do keep an eye on the place where your car is parked for the night for similar oil drippings. If it's persistent, get the engine underbelly checked thoroughly.

Quote:
Thanks.
Dad always does it in the mornings before he drives out. Oil level check, coolant level check, battery terminal connections, water levels, tyre pressures, etc. Takes only a minute of your time, but keeps you safe throughout the day.

Quote:
Thanks Anurag and Parag Sir!
Yes I checked the oil level in the morning only. The leak was found around a month back when I spotted oil marks where the car is parked. I got it rectified from MASS and they told oil level is Okay but I forgot to check the dipstick myself at that time.
Do make it a habit of checking it every morning before you drive off. A stitch in time saves nine, as they say. If the level is steady over the next few days, you need not fret no more. A weekly check is also good. But do check oil levels before every long trip you make. Make it a part of your morning routine.

Quote:
Sorry RavenSir for spamming your thread.
No worries. These ownership threads are for this purpose only - share, gain and provide information to each other. That's why we are all a team.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:07   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a heads-up on yet another milestone crossed by Dad earlier in the morning today:

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_6210.jpg

We just entered into our 10th month of ownership of Silver Queen.

Absolutely no complaints so far. The Swift is a hoot to drive, specially for in-city runabouts. The healthy Ground Clearance ensures no scrapping of the underbelly, and the high seating is a neat convenience to have a wonderful view of the road ahead. An excellent beater car.

The ACC Cooling could have been better. In this summer when afternoon temperatures are soaring to the 42-44°C mark, a more powerful AC unit (like the one in my City) is craved for. The ACC does it's bit when it's set at the 23°C point - any higher and you woouldn't notice it. Dad didn't want any sunfilm or sunblinds on the windows, so it's a bit more harsher inside the car during the summer.

And thankfully (touchwood!), no trademark Swift-squeaks yet either!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th June 2015 at 15:08.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 17:07   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Dad's Silver Queen crossed the 5,000-km milestone earlier in the morning today, when he returned from dropping his grand-daughter at her school.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_6881.jpg

The Swift is just over 50 weeks old, i.e., 2 weeks left for her 1st anniversary with us. Already I have started getting phonecall reminders from Maruti Care for her next due service (on 6th August).

An absolute fuss-free, maintenance-free ownership so far. No squeaks and rattles yet either, except for very minor ones from the additional cabin lamp I had gotten fitted on the rear parcel tray.

By the way, don't mind those over-enthusiastic Average Fuel Efficiency numbers of the MID shown in the picture. A tankful-to-tankful method has revealed an overall mileage of ~15.5 kmpl, which is actually very good for the Swift petrol.

Tyres look fine, underbody's clean, front bumper has seen some scratches, but the rear's absolutely fine. The RPAS system is working like a charm, while the AC unit is fantastic in it's cooling. We have passed through the hot summer season without feeling the real need for sunblinds or sunfilms on any windows.

Most importantly, Dad is very, very happy with the car. He is as satisfied with his Swift as he was with his Esteem and his Padmini, and that says a LOT about the Swift. I have never seen a more happier old man who still cherishes driving like a giddy young kid. Hats off to his passion!

Will update when the one-year service is done. Oil change + AC Filter cleaning are definites, plus I shall see what else Silver Queen needs to get done on her birthday.

Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th July 2015 at 17:09.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 09:04   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_0470.jpg

This is the condition Silver Queen finds herself in, after a rash moment of careless, irresponsible driving by Maruti Service personnel inside the Servicing premises yesterday at 4 PM.

She had gone in for her 1 year/10,000-kms Third Free Service and, apart from engine oil and oil filter change, had no other issue to be addressed except for some paint touch-up jobs.

This happened after the service work was complete, washing was complete, and the paint shop guy was driving her into the paint shop section for the touch-ups. Another car which was going through some extensive engine work, was cranked up and immediately sprayed engine oil all over the floor and the nearby wall (due to a faulty filter or something similar), and the paint shop guy who was driving quite rashly INSIDE the service hangar, lost control of Silver Queen and smashed her straight into the wall on the left side.

Thankfully there were no people standing near the wall, or they could have been seriously injured.

Result? We are looking at a damaged front bumper, broken left-side headlamp, and a crumpled passenger-side body panel.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_0472.jpg

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-img_0473.jpg

As soon as I received the call, I dashed over to MASS and gave them all a real blast for their devil-may-care attitude and callous negligence. Thankfully, the manager Sambhu Agrawal stepped in and assured me that all the damaged panels will be replaced free of charge and I shall have our Silver Queen by 10 AM today.

When I was leaving just before closure time yesterday evening, I saw the paint shop guys working hard on a new front bumper, spraying it with silver paint and prepping it as the replacement for Silver Queen's damaged front bumper.

I kept hearing from other people about such indifferent and careless attitude of service personnel, but this is the first time I am experiencing this.

A real shame, because out of all the cars we have owned so far, this was least expected by a Maruti-Suzuki Service Center.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th August 2015 at 09:06.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 09:18   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1404885

This is the condition Silver Queen finds herself in, after a rash moment of careless, irresponsible driving by Maruti Service personnel inside the Servicing premises yesterday at 4 PM.

She had gone in for her 1 year/10,000-kms Third Free Service and, apart from engine oil and oil filter change, had no other issue to be addressed except for some paint touch-up jobs.

This happened after the service work was complete, washing was complete, and the paint shop guy was driving her into the paint shop section for the touch-ups. Another car which was going through some extensive engine work, was cranked up and immediately sprayed engine oil all over the floor and the nearby wall (due to a faulty filter or something similar), and the paint shop guy who was driving quite rashly INSIDE the service hangar, lost control of Silver Queen and smashed her straight into the wall on the left side.

Thankfully there were no people standing near the wall, or they could have been seriously injured.

Result? We are looking at a damaged front bumper, broken left-side headlamp, and a crumpled passenger-side body panel.

Attachment 1404886

Attachment 1404887

As soon as I received the call, I dashed over to MASS and gave them all a real blast for their devil-may-care attitude and callous negligence. Thankfully, the manager Sambhu Agrawal stepped in and assured me that all the damaged panels will be replaced free of charge and I shall have our Silver Queen by 10 AM today.

When I was leaving just before closure time yesterday evening, I saw the paint shop guys working hard on a new front bumper, spraying it with silver paint and prepping it as the replacement for Silver Queen's damaged front bumper.

I kept hearing from other people about such indifferent and careless attitude of service personnel, but this is the first time I am experiencing this.

A real shame, because out of all the cars we have owned so far, this was least expected by a Maruti-Suzuki Service Center.
That's a sad incident. The way these morons turn into a racing driver inside their premises is quite scary. One of the many reasons I have made a habit of getting all my cars serviced with me personally standing beside it. These morons then drive peacefully.
However thankfully, they have accepted their fault and are taking corrective measures. My relative's Grand i10 was recently banged during service, and when confronted, they showed us a clause printed behind the estimate sheet. It read something like- If by any chance accidents happen, we are not responsible for that.

We tried escalating the matter to HMIL but they also turned a deaf ear to our complaints citing the same clause.
The damage wasn't serious, hence we decided to get it repaired and move on. But the attitude of HMIL was disgusting. Here is where owning a Maruti makes a difference. They have a good amount of control even on MASS.

Do update the thread with the repaired pictures. I hope she comes to her early glory soon.

Regards
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks