Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 13:03   #1
BHPian

My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty

My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-under-cover.jpg
She just completed 1 month and 786 on odo and here is my story…

Background:
I had been waiting for my Outlander’s lease to get over and hunt for replacement started about 6 months ago. My wife’s BMW 320d inspired me to look at a more powerful engine. I always enjoy 0-100 in 7.6 in bimmer’s sport mode but I wanted more and I wanted 6 cylinders for sure.

I get invited to various national motor rallies like Raid-de-Himalaya, Mughal Rally etc and my Outlander has been doing a great job for last 4 years. In fact Outlander has spoiled me with its comfort, low maintenance, reliability and fuel efficiency. A true replacement for Outlander would had been another SUV but after checking Q5, Fortuner, Pajero Sports and ML, I was convinced that any SUV in my budget did not even come near equipment level and space of Outlander. ML was the only one comparable but again 350 was way out of my budget. Q5 was not very convincing and had much less space. Fortuner failed on auto 4x4, equipment level and drivability. Its ladder chassis did not give confidence over 100 kmph and handling was horrible. Pajero Sports again was too low on equipment, comfort, 4x4 auto and ladder chassis. So I decided to keep Outlander for my adventure till I can afford a good replacement. In any case Outlander is still without a squeak and as good as new, no sign of fatigue or wear even after 4 years. So now my focus shifted to a sedan.

My Buying Process, Alternatives and Zeroing in process
I looked at various options E-220 CDI, BMW 520, 525 and 530 and of course A6 2.0 and 3.0.

Mercedes E220 was indisputably the best looking of the lot. LED headlamps were mesmerizing with redone rear stance and look. Twin exhaust look neat and drive was good if not best. But that was it, inside it was too low on equipment which is desired in this segment. Puny looking screen on the dash looked like a joke, the graphics was right out of 80s. No leather, no finesse and interior looked too ordinary for a car of that price. 3.0 was not even an option yet.

BMW 530 was way out of budget but was impressive. It had decent equipment in its segment and LED lamps were impressive. Downside was RFTs, price and somewhat oldish design, I always feel that last generation was much better looking. Inline 6 cylinders are a bliss but turbo lag was as prominent as ever. Only thing I hate in my existing 320d is ride comfort and turbo lag which kind of kills the feel when accelerating suddenly. While RFTs are great idea, I am not convinced that they are a replacement for spare wheel. RFTs restrict your drive to good roads and metro limits. There are horror stories of stranded families on highway for want of a spare wheel. I am not sure if I would buy another BMW without a spare wheel or at least an option and space to keep it at back.

BMW 525 is nothing but a souped up 520 which is a gain that you can always get by adding a racechip or performance kit. There was a time when last generation 525 had inline 6 cylinder but now it is the same 2.0 litre engine as 520d and 320d. It lacked most of goodies that 530d had, had a small idrive screen with an aftermarket look. Much lower equipment level on both 520 and 525 for a luxury sedan.

To top it all, none of the above offered me what I already don’t have on my 320d exclusive in terms of equipment level and driving thrill except added space.

So I finally started looking at A6 2.0 and 3.0. I test drove 2.0 and found that whatever good work Audi engineers have done on engine, ECU and drive ratios, it still had that rubberband CVT effect though it has drastically come down since I last drove it 3 years ago in last generation A6 2.0. So 2.0 was off list too.

Finally:
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-unwrap.jpg

After this entire research, I test drove a 3.0 TDI and post that, the competition was over! Here is what I got exclusively in A6 3.0 which no other competitor offered:
- A 3.0 liter V6 engine
- Air suspension with an option to manually raise car for rough surface and tall speed breakers.
- All-Wheel Drive legendary Quattro
- 4 zone automatic climate control
- A decent underbody shield (part of rough road package)
- Active noise cancellation in cabin
- Comfort glass on front windscreen, rear windscreen and all windows. Comfort glass repels maximum infra-red rays and heat so that only light comes inside the cabin.

The challenge was however lower discount levels due to extremely low inventory of 3.0TDIs. Very few 3.0 liter cars were available with dealers across. Limited choice of color and equipment level but good thing was that most of these available inventory was CBU.

Finally with Audi India friends’ help, I was able to locate one car in Audi Delhi South’s inventory which was 3.0 and a decent discount was offered to me on the car. There were a few things missing from my wish list like navigation, Bose and color (I always drove silver cars) but they were outweighed by other features (0 to 100 in 6.1 seconds).

I decided to take the big plunge (the loan EMI would hurt me for next 4 years, but then some wise main said: You only live once ). The Car was brought home on 6th April.

Accessories that were added:
- Rear seat entertainment, Audi Mobile. INR 1,38,000
- Dickey molded mat. INR 8,000
- Rubber floor mats. INR 8,000
- Audi AMI Cable. INR 5,500
- Mud flaps. INR 10000. These were taken off next day as they interfered with ground clearance of the car.

Booking and Delivery Experience
Test Drive experience was very good. Dealer facilitated test drive several times without hesitation. 3.0 TDI test drive was given on older car which was not great selling approach.

Booking was largely hassle-free and so was delivery but detailed feature explanation and other details were missing. I had to follow up for minutest of the issue and crisp follow up was completely missing. However on escalation to Audi India, things did improve immediately for better.

Sales experience with Audi Delhi South was not very great, it was average and very similar to my earlier BMW sales experience. I wish that these luxury car manufactures (Audi, BMW and Merc) invest more in sales person training and enhance buying experience of luxury car buyers.

Pricing, Discounts and Freebies:
Ex showroom price: 54.17 Lacs
Discount: Please PM me for details, don't expect a lot of discount as this variant as availability is extremely challenged. You can in fact get better discounts on A6 2.0 due to its available inventory.
Freebies: Audi car cover (included), AMI USB cable worth INR5000 (dealer), 50% off on extended warranty worth INR62000 (dealer), 1 Audi keychain worth INR 1400 (dealer)

Few technical details:
Variant: Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium edition with few extras since this particular VIN was CBU.
Engine: 3.0 liter TDI (2967cc), V6
BHP: 245 BHP
Drivetrain: S tronic, Quattro 4 wheel drive (AWD)
Wheel & Tires: 17 inch cast aluminum alloys, 17 inch tyres (225/55/R17)
Top Speed: 250 KMPH electronically limited, this will change before I take car to BIC for track test

Few unique features:
-Adaptive Air suspension
-Automatic and manual chassis/suspension/steering setup using Drive Select
-4 zone Automatic climate control
-Comfort glass (heat rejecting) for front windshield, rear windshield and all windows including quarter panels
-Quattro AWD
-Energy recovery system
-Auto boot option (you don't have to pull open the boot)
-Keyless start/stop button
-7 inch Driver information display along with LCD display screen between speedo and techo for driver.
-8 Airbags
-Active noise cancellation in cabin.
-Lightweight Aluminum hybrid construction
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-ext-front.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-ext-rear.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-ext-front-side.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-ext-side.jpg

Experience so far:
After a month, I am enjoying every single KM in the car. I am a convert from BMW worshipper. Average kya deti hai? Well, I am managing a decent 13 kmpl and I have no complains. Though on some sensible drive around 100 and no sudden acceleration or braking, car short term computer has shown 17.40 kmpl but clearly I did not buy car for this. For me from a petrol average of 9-10 kmpl of Outlander to diesel average of 13 is clearly a bliss. A light tap on accelerator and everything disappears in rear view mirror and G forces experienced are enough to bring a grin on any face. Braking is superb and AWD handling is legendary Quattro. I am glad I followed my heart.

My usage pattern is about 40-45Kms a day along expressway with weekend dense city traffic drive.

Ride Quality & Comfort
The ride quality is unmatched, I have taken it on slightly rough patches as well as my daily commute is on expressway and it is ultra comfortable in all scenarios. I think air suspension has a big role to play in this along with Michelin P3 ST. Height adjustment is a boon, it works automatically but there is an option to manually raise the car if required.
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-drive-select.jpg

Acceleration and Braking
Acceleration was the key consideration for the purchase and it has absolutely not disappointed me. I am still holding the horses till odo crosses 1500 KMs but some adrenalin is always there to push. Just a tap on accelerator and car surges ahead with torque. Braking is superb and matched to speed the car is capable of. On corners, car is glued to road, zero understeer thanks to Quattro.
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-dash1.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-dash2.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-dash3.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-dash4.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-steering.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-gearshift.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-rse1.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-int-rear-aircon.jpg

Interiors
Cockpit is very well laid out as you can see in pictures above. Very well thought off design. The LED display in dashboard (seperate from Audi Multimedia Interface) between speedo and Tacho is really a great feature. It has tabbed display for Music, Digital Speedo & journey computer and music played etc.

10 speaker Audi music system is good, 2 inbuilt subs with 10 channel amplifier. Audi Multimedia Interface (AMI) gives option to connect various players, phones, USB etc but you have to purchase all cables separately. I got complimentary USB cable worth INR 5000. 7 inch screen is good quality but DVD playback is not allowed in motion. My car has additional 6 CD changer in dash.

Tons of space inside the car, ample headroom, legroom and elbowroom. Ingress and egress is very easy and comfortable. Tons of space at back and very plush and comfortable rear seats. Front seats are not as comfortable as 530d sports seats, I wish there was an option to upgrade. No heated or ventilated seats, again this is something which should have been offered as an option. Manual reach and up-down steering adjustment, again both Merc E and BMW 5 has this auto adjust.

Though I am not a beige interior guy but slowly it is growing on my taste. Seats are plush with ample support everywhere. Rear seats are majestic and rear entertainment system is keeping kids occupied. Audi Entertainment Mobile (Rear Seat Entertainment II) is expansive but I feel is worth the price. It has two 9.1 inch screens and each has a inbuilt DVD player. It can play in Master-Slave mode where DVD played on 1 player is displayed on both or Master-Master mode where each player can play its own independent DVDs. It has support for USB, SD Card etc The Audio can be routed on optional Audi bluetooth headsets or accompanied wired earphones or built in speakers. These players are portable with attachable Lithium-Ion battery so they can be used as portable players as well when not in car. Both come in nice leather carry cases like laptop case. Kids are happy with the system and optional bluetooth headphones are on the cards.

My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-rse2.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-rse3.jpg
I did go in for additional oem rubber mats and dickey tray, expansive but build quality is german so no complaints.

Exteriors:
Black was not my original choice since we already have a BMW and Cedia in Black color but due to lack of options I had to settle for it. Slowly I am starting to like the color. It is extremely difficult to maintain in Indian conditions and I hope Audi offers a surface treatment plan like BMW. I love the understated looks and crisp side profile. The rear lamps light up impressively at night. Alloys are very stately plain but I like them.

Service Plan:
I have chosen not to get a service plan so far, I can opt for it upto 6 months from date of sale of car. Audi does not have a comprehensive service plan like BMW Service Inclusive Ultimate. It does have service packs (Audi Care) which are cheaper than BMW BSI but are not comprehensive and does not cover brake pad/discs etc. Audi care includes usual oil, oil filter, cabin filter etc. A comprehensive service pack like BSI ultimate is extremely desirable for car of this price and hope Audi India is working on it. I have purchased extended warranty though to cover car for 4 years (2 years after included warranty).

Summary
What I love about the car:
- Understated presence and crisp exterior profile.
-Luxurious Interior and tech gadgets.
-Air suspension, a boon for Indian roads
-Audi AMI integrated entertainment system
-V6 engine!!
-Automatic release of parking brake the moment you press the accelerator after wearing seat belt.
-Automatic shutting down off engine the moment driver side door is unlocked.
-Active Noise cancellation inside the cabin.
-Absolute silent and comfortable ride

What can get better:
- Placement of start/stop button near gear shift, I think I would had preferred it on dash like BMW
- No provisioning for navigation as an option. I will work on getting a Garmin GVN box and using composite AV to get this on AMI screen but I feel Audi has to understand that this is basic option now, even B and C segment cars come fitted with factory NAV these days. In US even the basic variant comes with navigation so not sure why Audi thinks India is different. I know a Technology Pack variant exists but that is too expansive and lot of add ons may not be of my requirement.
- Easier drive select feature, you have to go via AMI to select a drive. Few programmable buttons like my BMW are definitely desirable.
- Comprehensive service plans like BMW which cover bumper-to-bumper. Audi does have an Audi care plan but it does not even cover brake pads/brake discs like BMW's service plan.

I hope you enjoyed reading my experience and pictures in the thead. I would be happy to answer questions or queries that you guys may have, I checked but could not locate any other thread on A6 3.0 TDI or its ownership so be my guest here.

Here are some Night Pictures:
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-night1.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-night2.jpg
My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty-night3.jpg>

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 7th May 2014 at 14:45. Reason: more content
rishi_kapoor is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 13:18   #2
BHPian

re: My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty

Congratulations Rishi! 3.0 V6 with Quattro is an absolute beast. Just one question, is there a dedicated button on the dash to raise the air suspension or has to be done through the MMI?
salman_ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 13:34   #3
BHPian

Wow! what a beauty.
The car looks awesome. Congratulations and drive safe!
Pretty impressed with the comfort glass technology.Any idea what the difference in temperature might be between normal glass and comfort glass?
bigben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 13:34   #4
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Rishi. A very wise and practical choice. Few questions: What color is it? Now that you've been driving this beauty for a month in Delhi/NCR region, how does the Air suspension cope up with the rough roads (your inputs as an owner)?

Drive safe. CHEERS
carrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 15:26   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salman_ferrari View Post
Congratulations Rishi! 3.0 V6 with Quattro is an absolute beast. Just one question, is there a dedicated button on the dash to raise the air suspension or has to be done through the MMI?
Thanks Salman. I did replied to you on PM but for benefit of others, I am replying here again.

There is no dedicated button but it is pretty straight forward using AMI. Just press "Car" button and upper left AMI button. I have tried to capture this in one of the pictures above. But for sure a dedicated button would had been boon for Indian conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Wow! what a beauty.
The car looks awesome. Congratulations and drive safe!
Pretty impressed with the comfort glass technology.Any idea what the difference in temperature might be between normal glass and comfort glass?
Thanks Ben. Replying again here in thread. Comfort glass has a metallic heat rejection film (or coating) within glass, that what I understand from my research. It reject lot of IR rays which are responsible for heat in sunlight. I have in past used 94% heat rejection film from Vkool (good ol days when it was allowed by law) and I feel comfort glass is better or equal to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrazy View Post
Heartiest congratulations Rishi. A very wise and practical choice. Few questions: What color is it? Now that you've been driving this beauty for a month in Delhi/NCR region, how does the Air suspension cope up with the rough roads (your inputs as an owner)?

Drive safe. CHEERS
Thanks Carrazy. The color is Havanna Black. Air suspension is extremely effective on Indian roads, I think that is why Audi decided to include this option on all India A6 variants.

The car glides over small potholes and rough surface and absolutely comfortable ride is delivered inside. I have used "comfort" and "Auto" settings for rough surface as "Dynamic" would had stiffen suspension, chassis and steering.

I have become a big fan of air suspension and next ride change would be really difficult for me to choose
rishi_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 18:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

...and who won the unveiling contest on FB?? Congrats on lovely acquisition
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 19:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
...and who won the unveiling contest on FB?? Congrats on lovely acquisition
Of course you won

Thanks for your wishes. I will take it to track next time after it completes 1500 KMs. It is a real scorcher in speed.
Old 7th May 2014, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Woah, nicely done Rishi. Congratulations on the True Blue Executive sedan & especially on getting it with the V6.

I see the Cedia is still around(per your signatures). Do you still manage to take it out or are the kids using it to hone their driving skills.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Woah, nicely done Rishi. Congratulations on the True Blue Executive sedan & especially on getting it with the V6.

I see the Cedia is still around(per your signatures). Do you still manage to take it out or are the kids using it to hone their driving skills.
Thanks a ton Khoj! long time no see, please plan to catch up.

With good wishes and blessings of friends like you, I do manage a good ride

Cedia continues to be part of the garage. It completed 5 years and is close to 50k on odo. It still drives and smells like new, scratchless and shining. I see no reason to throw it away for few lacs. It still does city drive to places where we are not comfortable taking Bimmer or Audi. Just few weeks ago it did a 1200 KMs trip to Lucknow and back, so it continues to be our family car. I am extremely happy with both my Mitsubishi purchases, its sad that their prices tank down in pre-owned market and HM is to be completely balmed for not being able to market these in India. It has everything, Oz alloys, momo steering, navigation and rear view system, expansive leather evo seats...I don't think I would ever have heart to sell it.

Let catch up soon.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th May 2014 at 16:30. Reason: Removing mention of high speed
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 19:37   #11
BHPian

Audi called in vehicle today for software update, what I understand is that it is not limited to AMI (Audi Multimedia Interface), it is applicable to other stuff too. Let the car come back, I will update you more on this.
Old 9th May 2014, 19:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rishi, thank you for your kind words. Good things come to those who do good unto others & that's you my friend, my best wishes & prayers will always be with you and your loved ones.

And yes it has been a very long time, too long infact since we met. Need to change that sooner than later, which I will definitely do. Until then, Ciao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Thanks a ton Khoj! long time no see, please plan to catch up.

With good wishes and blessings of friends like you, I do manage a good ride

Cedia continues to be part of the garage.

Let catch up soon.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 10:39   #13
BHPian

My Audi A6 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro – Mystique Black Beauty

Completed 2 months and 1200 KMs. The car is a scorcher. I have clicking less KMs due to my travel.

Love the plush and comfortable drive. Quattro performs extremely well in cornering. Still 300 KMs short of running in so no pushing of limits.

Cockpit layout is growing on me now, extremely well thought of and practical. Car engages you well and the cabin is super silent thanks to active noise cancellation.

Luxury wraps around you and once inside, you feel at peace.

Mileage is better than my wife's 320d, I am really surprised at 3.0 V6's super economical performance. Long term FE shows 13.9 and on expressway realtime FE often touches 18. Very impressive engine. No unnecessary drama, pure performance. I would highly recommend 3.0 to future A6 buyers instead of popular non Quattro 2.0

I wish there were less idiots on road so that I may enjoy more. I don't know why lot of them try to race on expressway. I usually take my car in third lane and let them win. I like to enjoy peace and music inside and choose to ignore idiots

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 16th June 2014 at 10:43.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post

I wish there were less idiots on road so that I may enjoy more. I don't know why lot of them try to race on expressway. I usually take my car in third lane and let them win. I like to enjoy peace and music inside and choose to ignore idiots
Oh in complete agreement with you on this! On the expressway (and the DND too!) the moment they (ze idiots) see a german they just want to race. Stupid Stupid people!

I follow the exact same thing as you do! Third lane and music it is for me!
Shall keep an eye out for your car on the expressway and catch up!

And the efficiency of that engine is truly phenomenal.
Drive Safe

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 11:41   #15
BHPian

This is really a beauty with brain understated car.
Good that you heard your heart. It really feels satisfactory every time you are behind the wheel.
Quattro is technology that balances fun with safety.
I am surprised and happy to see good fuel economy of this engine.

Enjoy the ride and keep updating your experience.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks