Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2014, 03:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Many many congratulations. Octavia in race blue colour looks very unique on our roads. Enjoy your drive.
Old 27th April 2014, 06:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Race Blue Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance DSG - Now with Paddle Shifts (pg 5)

Congrats on the beautiful new machine! Does look a stunner.
Enjoyed reading your review.
A couple of queries - will the warranty be affected if you change the steering set up?
How good is the GC? May not matter much on Delhi roads I guess.

Here's wishing you many miles (or kilometers ) of enjoyable driving!
Old 27th April 2014, 09:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase Abhinav.

The review and the pre sales experience looked absolutely stunning.
I have grown up going through your vRS threads all the way from 2008. I quite expected another Skoda as its replacement once you put the vRS for sale then.
We recently added a Octavia 1.8TSI M/T and a Superb 1.8TSI M/T to our garage. Been loving both the cars.

Please share with us some more pictures.
And when are you upgrading the ICE on this?
Old 27th April 2014, 09:35   #19
BHPian

Congratulations man! The race blue it is then! Enjoy!

Regarding the GC, I have had some problems on big humps that are there in Gurgaon roads. If you don't go dead slow, it bottoms out - mine has on 2 occasions on some seriously tall humps that have been created on some of the Gurgaon roads.

Have not seen anyone else mention the ground clearance issue though so was wondering if it's just my car.
Old 27th April 2014, 10:05   #20
BHPian

Congratulations for your new car. I guess the Corolla was in contention even back then when buying your Octavia VRS mk1. Was not a member back then.

Excellent report btw.

Btw your profile picture reads coming soon still, so what's next ? 😜
Old 27th April 2014, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Many Congratulations for your new car.
Nice to see the Octavia VRS mk1 replaced with new Octavia 1.8tsi MK3.
the review is very written. Looking forward to a full blown review once once you have done more kms on the odo.
all the best for your new drive.
Old 27th April 2014, 10:36   #22
BHPian

Congrats Man, the car looks super awesome in Blue. Really gives it a very sporty look. Do share more information on protective films.

And, yes I agree this is not the car to take to Chawari Bazaar. For that matter not even Elantra, you should use i20😄 .
Old 27th April 2014, 10:43   #23
BHPian

Finally a 1.8 tsi at review!!

Love the car, love the colour even more!

Koreans and Japs offer crazy amount of features to hide their not so inspiring engines and gearboxes. Germans usually get stingy with features but the heart and build of their cars more than makes up for it.

Skoda octavia 1.8 tsi AT.....Best of both worlds! Feature list comparable to the hyundais and hondas and engine comparable to audi and merc (only the 328i is a few levels higher)!!

German=Diesel, Diesel=better resale value....Blah blah blah! forget all that!

Youve got a gem, go and enjoy her!!!
Old 27th April 2014, 12:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on two fronts, bringing home this gorgeous beast of a car and getting in just 2-3 months! It's hard enough to get a hold of an Octavia, even more so in Race Blue. With it's long list of features, space and explosive performance, the 1.8 TSI is a super car. Just make sure you get the extended warranty whenever possible to cover your bases.

Good choice on the Pirelli's. I've racked up 3200 kms (give or take) on them so far and they've been very good. They get slightly noisy at triple digits speed, but they're great VFM, especially at the price you got.

To know more about the steering wheel upgrade, check out Robi Mahanta's Polo TSI thread. I reckon it'll cost you ₹30,000-40,000 and shouldn't void your warranty since it's completely OEM and shouldn't throw up any issues. I too was going to get it if I were lucky enough to have been allotted a 1.8 TSI in time.

The only strange thing is your decision to shortlist the new Altis. I was expecting you to bing it down to the Jetta v the Octavia, so to see the Altis in the mix stumped me. That's just my opinion though, and you've brought home a cracker of a car. Enjoy, and keep the thread alive. Ciao.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:35   #25
BHPian

Absolutely the most stunning Octavia I have seen, this color along with the car that wears it has redefined road-presence. Wish you many trouble-free miles with the Skoda.

P.S. Gunmetal/Black 5-spoke alloys and the brake calipers painted red/yellow will make this, in my mind, the best looking Octavia on our roads.
Old 27th April 2014, 14:24   #26
BHPian

Congratulations Abhinav. Have been waiting for this thread for a while, so good on you to have put it up. And I must say, this is one very well written thread. Your passion for your cars is evident in the way that you have described your entire decision making and buying experience.

Am looking forward to your ownership review once you have spent time with your blue beauty. I booked my 1.8 TSi around 6 weeks back and I am told not to expect anything for another 10 weeks at the minimum so am going to visit this thread almost every day during this waiting period to check on how you are enjoying your car. I wanted to book the blue too but my wife ruled it out as she thought it was a little too loud and might grab too much attention. Was okay with the black and she liked it better than the blue so we went for the black instead. To be honest, I am not one to enjoy too much attention and so something understated yet beautiful was always going to be my choice of colour. That said, blue does look stunning and is a definite head turner. Good choice.

Thanks for sharing the details on the mods, accessories you got. Might get some of them myself. The Steering with paddle shifters is high on my list of must buys. Being new to everything Skoda, just have a few questions about this. How easy is it to get one of those? Can I get it from Skoda itself? Who would do the fitting if I have to buy from outside Skoda?

Congratulations once again and may you have miles of trouble free experience. Drive safe.
Old 27th April 2014, 20:31   #27
BHPian

Congrats! The car looks delightful in Race Blue which is indeed a very unique shade for such an elegant car. Wish you many miles on your new ride.

Keep the thread updated and post some interior shots

I'm so much keen on buying a DSG equipped vehicle. The comfort and lightening fast shifts are unparalled. I drove one of my friend's skoda superb 1.8tsi AT and was blown away by the tsi gem. It is indeed a blast to drive and DSG serves as icing on the cake!
Old 27th April 2014, 23:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Many many congratulations. Octavia in race blue colour looks very unique on our roads. Enjoy your drive.
Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Congrats on the beautiful new machine! Does look a stunner.
Enjoyed reading your review.
A couple of queries - will the warranty be affected if you change the steering set up?
How good is the GC? May not matter much on Delhi roads I guess.

Here's wishing you many miles (or kilometers ) of enjoyable driving!
Thanks a lot for the kind words !

I did not face any rough patches yet and hence I would not be able to answer it but yes, it seems fine for most delhi roads.

The Steering is an OEM part with a 5 min open, plug and play job. There shouldn't be any warranty issues, though I have an option to revert to stock before sending in for any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase Abhinav.

The review and the pre sales experience looked absolutely stunning.
I have grown up going through your vRS threads all the way from 2008. I quite expected another Skoda as its replacement once you put the vRS for sale then.
We recently added a Octavia 1.8TSI M/T and a Superb 1.8TSI M/T to our garage. Been loving both the cars.

Please share with us some more pictures.
And when are you upgrading the ICE on this?
Glad to hear that you liked the review and that you have followed my earlier thread ! Thanks for the wishes. I will, in any case, not fiddle with the ICE on this car. I may change the HU to Colombus if it supports all OEM functions along with added benefits of Rear Camera etc.

As for more pictures, I will try to post them as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Congratulations man! The race blue it is then! Enjoy!
Thanks, btw That makes are cars twins

Just for your info , there are only 2 race blue Octavias in NCR, one mine, other yours, and also according to the dealer, there are only 2 race blue TSis in the country right now; feels a bit special doesn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Congratulations for your new car. I guess the Corolla was in contention even back then when buying your Octavia VRS mk1. Was not a member back then.

Excellent report btw.

Btw your profile picture reads coming soon still, so what's next ? 😜
Thanks !

Yes, the corolla was in contention even back then only that time it was the Then Corolla Altis and this time it was the recently unvealed New Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Many Congratulations for your new car.
Nice to see the Octavia VRS mk1 replaced with new Octavia 1.8tsi MK3.
the review is very written. Looking forward to a full blown review once once you have done more kms on the odo.
all the best for your new drive.
Thanks man. No other car could succeed the mk1 better than this. I bought an Elantra after the MK1 and that did not live upto the title of being a worthy successor (only in terms of the fun to drive factor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Congrats Man, the car looks super awesome in Blue. Really gives it a very sporty look. Do share more information on protective films.

And, yes I agree this is not the car to take to Chawari Bazaar. For that matter not even Elantra, you should use i20😄 .
Thanks man. As for the protective film, I shall post a small review here and a full thread for the same.

Yes, I couldn't do that because my mom prefers the i20 to any other car in the house, but I shall use it more starting very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Finally a 1.8 tsi at review!!

Love the car, love the colour even more!

Koreans and Japs offer crazy amount of features to hide their not so inspiring engines and gearboxes. Germans usually get stingy with features but the heart and build of their cars more than makes up for it.

Skoda octavia 1.8 tsi AT.....Best of both worlds! Feature list comparable to the hyundais and hondas and engine comparable to audi and merc (only the 328i is a few levels higher)!!

German=Diesel, Diesel=better resale value....Blah blah blah! forget all that!

Youve got a gem, go and enjoy her!!!
Resale ?? You have to forget that word when you buy a Skoda Octavia 1.8. Yes, i agree this time the car is best of both the worlds ( actually better than most Japanese infact)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats on two fronts, bringing home this gorgeous beast of a car and getting in just 2-3 months! It's hard enough to get a hold of an Octavia, even more so in Race Blue. With it's long list of features, space and explosive performance, the 1.8 TSI is a super car. Just make sure you get the extended warranty whenever possible to cover your bases.

Good choice on the Pirelli's. I've racked up 3200 kms (give or take) on them so far and they've been very good. They get slightly noisy at triple digits speed, but they're great VFM, especially at the price you got.

To know more about the steering wheel upgrade, check out Robi Mahanta's Polo TSI thread. I reckon it'll cost you ₹30,000-40,000 and shouldn't void your warranty since it's completely OEM and shouldn't throw up any issues. I too was going to get it if I were lucky enough to have been allotted a 1.8 TSI in time.

The only strange thing is your decision to shortlist the new Altis. I was expecting you to bing it down to the Jetta v the Octavia, so to see the Altis in the mix stumped me. That's just my opinion though, and you've brought home a cracker of a car. Enjoy, and keep the thread alive. Ciao.
Thanks for the wishes brother. I wish I could do the same to you for the Octavia than the Jetta, but still congrats to you too, yours was an inspirational thread for me to write a story which truly justifies emotion attached with the purchase.

About the Steering wheels, yes they are OEM, only not supplied by Skoda India directly. They are about the 45k-50k region for the Octavia along with the paddle shifts.

The only reason for the thread not being down to Jetta vs Octavia was the absence of a sensational Petrol pot in the Jetta ( the one in the jetta was the 1.4 and i wanted a petrol strictly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Absolutely the most stunning Octavia I have seen, this color along with the car that wears it has redefined road-presence. Wish you many trouble-free miles with the Skoda.

P.S. Gunmetal/Black 5-spoke alloys and the brake calipers painted red/yellow will make this, in my mind, the best looking Octavia on our roads.
Thanks, I am pretty happy with the 10 spoke alloys, so not in a mood for the change. ( to each his own )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Congratulations Abhinav. Have been waiting for this thread for a while, so good on you to have put it up. And I must say, this is one very well written thread. Your passion for your cars is evident in the way that you have described your entire decision making and buying experience.

Am looking forward to your ownership review once you have spent time with your blue beauty. I booked my 1.8 TSi around 6 weeks back and I am told not to expect anything for another 10 weeks at the minimum so am going to visit this thread almost every day during this waiting period to check on how you are enjoying your car. I wanted to book the blue too but my wife ruled it out as she thought it was a little too loud and might grab too much attention. Was okay with the black and she liked it better than the blue so we went for the black instead. To be honest, I am not one to enjoy too much attention and so something understated yet beautiful was always going to be my choice of colour. That said, blue does look stunning and is a definite head turner. Good choice.

Thanks for sharing the details on the mods, accessories you got. Might get some of them myself. The Steering with paddle shifters is high on my list of must buys. Being new to everything Skoda, just have a few questions about this. How easy is it to get one of those? Can I get it from Skoda itself? Who would do the fitting if I have to buy from outside Skoda?

Congratulations once again and may you have miles of trouble free experience. Drive safe.
Thanks and congrats on your booking as well. The black is no doubt a killer sleeper of a colour and was a strong contender in my list as well had Dad not said NO TO BLACK. The car looks smashing in black.

The wait kills literally however when the wait is over, you will have a 1000w grin from ear to ear. All the best for the wait and the reward of the wait.

The steering is not available directly through Skoda however there are other options, one of which is VAGTUNE. He is the person who will advice where the installation can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.m06 View Post
Congrats! The car looks delightful in Race Blue which is indeed a very unique shade for such an elegant car. Wish you many miles on your new ride.

Keep the thread updated and post some interior shots

I'm so much keen on buying a DSG equipped vehicle. The comfort and lightening fast shifts are unparalled. I drove one of my friend's skoda superb 1.8tsi AT and was blown away by the tsi gem. It is indeed a blast to drive and DSG serves as icing on the cake!

Thanks a lot man, the DSG and TSi is one heck of a combination. I wish you best in your ordeal to buy a DSG equipped vehicle

I shall keep the thread updated and post interior shots in a few days.
Old 28th April 2014, 08:25   #29
BHPian

Couple of years back, I was reading ownership threads on the Octavia vRS and I clearly remember reading about your laal pari. I really like the Octavia vRS, I was hoping to own one pre-owned in my early 20's, but alas I doubt that would ever materialise since the newest examples are 8 years old now. I agree with you, it looked spectacular in yellow.
Good to see a repeat Skoda customer. A really good friend of mine had a mark 1 Octavia and replaced it with a Laura, he swears by Skoda.
I would have thought the Elantra and Octavia are dimensionally similar?
Congratulations on your new car, drive safe!
The race blue colour really stands out

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Just for your info , there are only 2 race blue Octavias in NCR, one mine, other yours, and also according to the dealer, there are only 2 race blue TSis in the country right now; feels a bit special doesn't it.
I have definitely seen one of your cars then, probably manu's since he is in Gurgaon.
Old 28th April 2014, 09:11   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
also according to the dealer, there are only 2 race blue TSis in the country right now; feels a bit special doesn't it.
Heh not really. I spotted one in the race blue shade, a week back here in Surat. Looks absolutely gorgeous! If Skoda can keep one in that shade for display in the dealership, I bet they will lure a lot of prospective customers.

Congrats on your ride! Drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks