Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 13:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
As mentioned , i am definitely in the line for this , if someone could help us out with probable costs that would be great. I will try and figure out from my guys and see if they have any information available.
The people at the dealership would be the best person to provide the information. However, I fear only the expert mechanics would dare to fix the CC, because it would mean opening the ECU.

You can also PM directly to Krishna, he is scheduled for the TD of the MJD this weekend.
Old 7th March 2014, 13:18   #77
Senior - BHPian

Sorry , i was not referring to the CC but the new mirrors , no desire for the CC , simply does not add any value given where i drive including the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The people at the dealership would be the best person to provide the information. However, I fear only the expert mechanics would dare to fix the CC, because it would mean opening the ECU.

You can also PM directly to Krishna, he is scheduled for the TD of the MJD this weekend.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:32   #78
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned , i am definitely in the line for this , if someone could help us out with probable costs that would be great. I will try and figure out from my guys and see if they have any information available.
I remember seeing a thread on team fiat website having details on adding a cruise control for the TJet. Just check it out.
Old 7th March 2014, 22:34   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry , i was not referring to the CC but the new mirrors , no desire for the CC , simply does not add any value given where i drive including the highways.
Agreed. I don't fancy the cruise control feature as the car is driven in the city 90% of the time. Moreover, in the T-Jet, i'd enjoy keeping my foot on the pedal rather than taking it off. Be it in the city or on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
I remember seeing a thread on team fiat website having details on adding a cruise control for the TJet. Just check it out.
I think you are mentioning about the below link.

http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...or-Linea-T-Jet

I'd still recommend to anyone who wants to get this done, get it done by the FIAT mechanics if at all they introduce an option to add the cruise control feature in 2013 and lower linea models.
Old 9th March 2014, 00:18   #80
BHPian

I'd been to the Fiat Caffe today(Bangalore). The new Fiat Linea, Abarth 500 and the Fiat Avventura were on display. I asked the sales guy as to why there is no 1.6 MJD in the 2014 Linea and he said that the 1.6 MJD may be coming possibly to Avventura when it releases but not for Linea 2014.

Here are a few pictures(Apologies for the bad image quality).

Linea 2014 exteriors:

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1758.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1759.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1762.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1763.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1765.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1757.jpg

Abarth 500:

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1767.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1768.jpg

Fiat Avventura(display model):

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1752.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1753.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1754.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1756.jpg

All together:

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1769.jpg
azhar915 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 05:17   #81
BHPian

Great review, Krishna. Looking forward to your drive review of the diesel variant as well.

Checked the new Linea MJD today and here are my observations. Did not test drive it though.

1. The front seats in the Linea 2012 are not very ergonomic. This has been corrected and they're now excellent in terms of comfort. However, only prolonged usage can really determine the comfort. During test drives before the purchase of my 2012 Linea, I found the seats to be very comfortable. But after a few days, I had to get an inch thick cushion for my middle back, especially for long drives. So the real verdict can be reserved for the new owners.

The lower part of the seat back now has a flap and it kept messing with the tongue of my shoes, when getting out of the car. But it conceals the rails and metal beneath the seat better.

Attachment 1216938

The SA mentioned that rear seat base has gone up by 1 cm at the front edge (below the knee). I've always found the rear seats in the previous versions to be very comfortable and I didn't notice the change in the new one. Also, it's on rare occasions that I sat in the rear in my car.

2. Gear shifts are shorter now and felt slightly crisper than the outgoing models. While its still rubbery, it has definitely improved. I guess the only benefit of such a rubbery gearbox is that even at 60k kms, my gear shift is more or less like it was on day 1 :-)

3. Didn't find any difference in the music quality. I tried a few tracks with the same tonal settings that I have in my car. The fascia is better and the track and artist info are simultaneously displayed on the music system's screen. The older versions would just show one data point (track/artist/album) on the MID - only the driver would be informed.

4. The beige part of the dashboard is made of resin like material, and it's got a nice soft feel when pressed.

5. I prefer the arm rest of the older models. It had better storage capacity, could be adjusted for height and one could rest the elbow anywhere along it's length. But it is not really usable by the front passenger. Elbows would brush during gear changes. The improved width in the new one probably might be better at accommodating both the elbows. Couldn't check this.

6. The deal pedal kept obstructing my feet when engaging the clutch. I'm told that there are no changes in the pedal layout and I couldn't find a difference visually. So I checked the older display model and I didn't have a problem. I found this very surprising. Only Fiat can pull such a Houdini act, because every Linea is unique in its fit, finish and niggles, like in hand made cars.

7. Steering and gear box leather is becoming worse with every iteration. This is my opinion. It could be that regular use has made my car's steering leather smoother.

8. Boot is easier to close. And the lift action by the stuts is tauter and better. I have unmarked struts in my car, but the new model has magneti marelli cofap printed.

While I prefer the older design, I would buy the new one. The design has gained some sportiness and has become younger. And like the others have mentioned, it looks much better in person. The black diffuser design cladding on the rear bumper balances the chrome in contrast. I hope Fiat provides better designed mud-flaps.

The cabin lends a warm feeling as compared to the old car and looks fresh and classy. The older cabin was more functional. On some rare occasion, I could operate the buttons with my gloves and I was happy when I could do that; after having to take them off every time I had to use my touch phone.
carrerastrax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 06:45   #82
Senior - BHPian

A thumbs down on the new front and rear design from my side. Front looks like a mix of Baleno and Verna. And the rear is now too cluttered. And they skipped on the Engine upgrade too.
One opportunity lost.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:14   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I see lots of people crying for 1.6 MJD. I guess they want it mainly for more power, right? If some enthusiastic people really wants this car just for power & handling, joy ride, then why not go for T-jet then? Its a gem of a car & come for very attractive price tag of 10 Lacs (approx OTR) with almost all of the features people want. Its a petrol with Turbo & its one of the best cars available in market for enthusiastic people. So instead of spending 2-3 Lacs more on Linea 1.6 MJD OTR (1.3 MJD is already around 1.5 L costly, so assuming 1.6 with will be 1-1.5 lac more than it), why not save that money for petrol bills and go for Linea T-jet? In long run it will be better choice i guess as Petrol cars are better than diesels on many parameters.

I am of the opinion that instead of crying for something which we don't have, start enjoying what we already have. Here in this case, Linea T-jet is readily available

Just think over it guy's. Does it make sense to you?
Hi Aniketi, I agree with you. But a 1.6MJD gives you the best of both, a powerful engine and lesser fuel bills. Being a GTX owner I know how it feels. I take it to office everyday 40kms and with a mileage of 8kmpl, I'm spending 400 bucks everyday and about 8k a month. A 1.6 MJD with a mileage of even 16kmpl will cut down my fuel expense by more than a half. Upgrading to 1.4 Tjet doesn't make any sense to me as I'll get maybe 2kmpl extra and with lesser power. And yes, I will be paying 1 or 2 lakhs more for a diesel car, atleast I won't be worrying about fuel bills every month.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 09:34   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Review Krishna! By the way, where did you take this photo shoot?, looks like a deserted 4L stretch.

Any chances to get this ORVM with indicator for the older version?
Old 11th March 2014, 10:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Hi Aniketi, I agree with you. But a 1.6MJD gives you the best of both, a powerful engine and lesser fuel bills. Being a GTX owner I know how it feels. I take it to office everyday 40kms and with a mileage of 8kmpl, I'm spending 400 bucks everyday and about 8k a month. A 1.6 MJD with a mileage of even 16kmpl will cut down my fuel expense by more than a half. Upgrading to 1.4 Tjet doesn't make any sense to me as I'll get maybe 2kmpl extra and with lesser power. And yes, I will be paying 1 or 2 lakhs more for a diesel car, atleast I won't be worrying about fuel bills every month.
Point taken. But what's the use? We don't have 1.6 MJD available, that is the reality. I don't see fiat launching it in near future as well. So my only point is if you are really interested in driving pleasure, go for Linea T-jet. You will get it for sure. Such people do really care about petrol bills?? I doubt.

If we consider from Fiat's point of view as well, they are right actually. Linea is already struggling for sales numbers since beginning. So why will they launch costly version of it with 1.6 MJD? It will be sales dud. Few people will take it for sure but not many. So Fiat will not gain much from it. So they are playing safe with T-jet and Multi-jet. If Linea was selling like 3-4 K per month, then story could have been totally different. They would have thought of launching 1.6 MJD for enthusiastic people.

Last edited by aniketi : 11th March 2014 at 10:18.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:48   #86
BHPian

^^^agree, actually I find the positioning is very clear, you buy the turbo petrol if you are adventurous, it will anyday be more ftd than the MJD, even with a 1.6l.

The current MJD does the job for folks who enjoy the driving dynamics and the rock solid build, albeit in a far more sedate avatar. But I wonder after the launch of the Vento diesel whether the 1.3 is at all relevant.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Heard Avventure will be launched with 1.6 MJD later this year, in that scenario there is a strong probability Linea too may get the 1.6 MJD but need to wait...
Old 11th March 2014, 19:09   #88
BHPian

The Linea is undoubtedly ones of the most elegant and nice looking cars. At least I have always thought so. Though during initial release the only petrol on offer was underpowered, it was still a stunning car.

Sadly I feel the exterior has only had a negative influence post the facelift. The side three quarter looks okay, but both the front and rear dont look as classy as the old version.

The interiors I felt looked poor in the pre-facelift model, and that seems to have improved. While its still not the most appealing in my dept, its quite a bit better.

Very disheartening to know the car is selling so poorly. If I had the extra cash would surely add a pre-facelife T-Jet to my garage.
Old 11th March 2014, 19:47   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Point taken. But what's the use? We don't have 1.6 MJD available, that is the reality. I don't see fiat launching it in near future as well. So my only point is if you are really interested in driving pleasure, go for Linea T-jet. You will get it for sure. Such people do really care about petrol bills?? I doubt.
True, enthusiasts never care about the fuel bills, else my car would have disappeared long back . Just that the mileage factor of a Diesel engine is too good to resist. It is like my GTX giving a mileage of 18-20kmpl, now who wouldn't want that. Another issue for me is spending 8 lakhs to buy another car which is more or less the same as my car. Yes, better brakes and safety features, but 8 lakhs for that? Just 2 months after buying my car I came across a beautifully maintained GTX SP(airbags,ABS) for same price

Quote:
If we consider from Fiat's point of view as well, they are right actually. Linea is already struggling for sales numbers since beginning. So why will they launch costly version of it with 1.6 MJD? It will be sales dud. Few people will take it for sure but not many. So Fiat will not gain much from it. So they are playing safe with T-jet and Multi-jet. If Linea was selling like 3-4 K per month, then story could have been totally different. They would have thought of launching 1.6 MJD for enthusiastic people.
If FIAT wants they can price the 1.6MJD quite competitively. The ventos and rapids are not too expensive.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 13:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Steering and gear box leather is becoming worse with every iteration. This is my opinion. It could be that regular use has made my car's steering leather smoother.
I drive a T Jet. Though they claim leather wrapped steering wheel, it just does not feel so. I have not tried to smell if its leather.

As for the gear stick cover, it was not leather for me. Some cheap rexine has been used. The new Linea seems to have leather as the gear stick cover and looks neat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks