Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2023, 18:29   #5476
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Keeping up with the high mileage "club", got my hands on a vRS 230 which had 93,000KM on odo, now 99,100KM after 3 months of ownership. Company serviced, had few major expenses but expected. In short a big smile and happiness that I could get my hands on one.
First picture is the progression of VW/SKODA car I have owned from a humble diesel Rapid to a vRS.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20230610_114157.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20230630_090841.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20230630_09101701.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20230630_15141001.jpeg  

RevJ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 03:17   #5477
BHPian

Hello guys!

Facing a strange issue in my Octavia TDI MT. I brought home a pre-owned, high mileage (111k) Octy last year. As expected for a high mileage car, the front suspension was totally worn out at the time of purchase.

I had then overhauled the entire front suspension setup during last December. However, the ride quality was still so hard and I could hear and feel every thud and vibrations on the steering wheel and pedals. Kind of feels like rattles as if everything in the front is built very loose.

We have a Civic at home running on TRW struts and it just glides over all these same potholes without making any noise or vibrations.

But to my surprise, I happened to sit on co-driver's seat in my Octy today and whenever the car went over the bad potholes, I could not feel any thuds or vibrations and it was smooth but not as much as the Civic though. But the stark difference could be felt from the passenger seat compared to the extreme vibrations and noise felt in the driver seat.

Took it to FNG's multiple times and they all said that the suspension is totally fine and it's the steering rack that has given up. When at standstill, if the steering is wiggled hard right and left, we could clearly hear the thud noise from the steering.

Please note that the center bed, flywheel and brakes are due for change this month.

So, is it just the steering rack or should I look closer on anything else? Can I expect a slightly better ride quality once the center bed and flywheel is replaced?

Has anybody else ever experienced a failed steering rack on their Octavia? Please shed some light on this as the noise and extreme harsh ride has been driving me crazy. And why are these harsh thuds and vibrations felt only from the driver seat and not from any other seats in the car?
Old 10th September 2023, 20:10   #5478
BHPian

Took delivery of my pre-worshipped 2019 1.8 LnK day before in Mumbai and travelled to Gurgaon today after an overnight halt in Udaipur.

Upgraded from a Rapid after over 6 months of mulling and searching for a lateral upgrade. Now that is a story for another thread.

My pre-worshipped 11 year old 1.6 MPI AT which I've had for almost 7 years and will continue to own as my second car

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200315_153920.jpg

And here's my new steed - the Big B!!!

The joy of a lateral upgrade is unbound, the car's only run 31k and in near mint condition, maintained immaculately by the previous owner who has now gone ahead and purchased a 2023 Kodiaq.

I had been swaying back and forth over whether I should move over to the other side and buy an SUV, having taken multiple test drives of different SUVs and finally shortlisting the Harrier as the preferred option; but my trip from Mumbai to Gurgaon today makes me feel I made the right choice!

Today I'm a Happy Bunny!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20230908-5.39.02-pm.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20230824-12.54.47-am-1.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20230824-12.54.47-am.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20230824-12.54.22-am.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20230824-12.54.44-am.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20230824-12.54.48-am.jpeg  

Shome is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 11:26   #5479
BHPian

On 10th Sep, I took delivery of pre-worshipped 2019 Octavia L&K. The vehicle is in pristine condition and odometer at the time of delivery was 26820.

The vehicle came to my notice on 9th Sep. Immediately went and saw the vehicle and put down advance amount. Agreed with seller for the next day delivery and got the car home. Immediate expenses are none at the moment, with tyre change/upgrade after 5-10k kms.

My current ride Corolla is up for sale at the moment. Looking forward towards an exciting relationship with Octavia.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_0884.jpeg
vivek.ks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 11:24   #5480
BHPian

Successfully clocked 60,000 kms in 3.5 years on this beast without any hassles. The 2.0 TDI is a completely reliable unit, and the engine is extraordinary, when it comes to performance and efficiency as a combo. With the stage 2 remap, the car could shame most of the cars on the road. The only car which could second our remapped 530d in the garage is this one, hope to retain this beauty for a pretty long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-9e441853ccd143b6b6f03d1a98aa5ce4.jpeg  

dieselhead01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 20:44   #5481

Hi All,

I need help on 3 things for my 2020 1.4 TSI Octavia:

1. Feedback about PPS Hennur Service Center. Are they genuine guys? or do they let their sales targets drive them to cheat customers into replacing parts before they are actually due?

2. After my 3rd annual service recently, I have observed 2 issues which were clearly not there before. Firstly, there is significant vibrations coming from the engine that i feel in my seat at idling. This car was so silent before that sometimes I ended up switching off the car thinking it is already switched off.

3. Secondly, the engine revvs up every time I depress the clutch in 1/2 gears while crawling in traffic at idle. My foot is not even on the accelerator but the moment i depress the clutch, I can hear the engine revving up and see the needle move to 1500ish before falling back to 900s.

I have some other open issues for which I am planning to take my car to the ervice center again, will get these both issues checked. But my problem is I don't trust the PPS guys and fear they'll come back and straight away ask me to replace the engine mounts or timing belt of clutch plates etc without actually there being a need for the same. My car is at 32,000 KM evenly driven.
Old 28th September 2023, 12:00   #5482
BHPian

Is it necessary that the battery be changed from Skoda? The service advisor says it has to be coded to the car.
Old 28th September 2023, 14:16   #5483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Is it necessary that the battery be changed from Skoda? The service advisor says it has to be coded to the car.
No coding required in the last-gen Octavia. I have personally changed twice to local Exide batteries. Coding required Superb upwards.

Only thing which needs to be done is to connect the new battery, and drive ~500 metres for the warning signs to go away.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th September 2023 at 14:23.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 11:26   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
No coding required in the last-gen Octavia. I have personally changed twice to local Exide batteries. Coding required Superb upwards.

Only thing which needs to be done is to connect the new battery, and drive ~500 metres for the warning signs to go away.
Thanks for helping.

Got Amaron 74Ah battery installed. Cost 8,400/-. The installer started the car, and then put in the new battery. Then switched off and restarted the car, and all worked fine.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:34   #5485
BHPian

I recently took delivery of my new ride and couldn't wait to hit the Bangalore traffic. Little did I know, it would be an eventful journey from bumper to battery!

After a couple of drives in the bustling traffic, I noticed an annoying scratch on my front bumper. That's when I decided it was time for some love and care. Off to Carzspa HSR for Paint Protection Film (PPF) on the bumper and bonnet, Ceramic Coating on the rest of the car, and a hydrophobic windshield treatment. Some damage to wallet but the car come out shining like new!

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5c71a58149c0477d9063a733c88ebd63.jpg

I went home and parked it in the basement. In my enthusiasm, I accidentally left the interior lights on overnight. Three days later, I encountered an unexpected hiccup – my car refused to unlock. The battery had drained, and there was an odd situation where the front doors were locked while the rear ones were still open since I was able to at least press unlock button once.

I immediately called my Insurance RSA Service. They promptly sent someone to jump-start my car, and after running it for 30 minutes, everything seemed fine. To be sure, I also swung by a nearby battery shop for a quick check, and surprisingly, the battery received a clean chit.

Later on, I decided to drop by Tafe Access, Kudlu Gate, for a battery checkup. When I arrived and turned off the engine, I was surprised to find that the car wouldn't start again. It started displaying a series of warnings, and it became clear that the battery was kaput.

I talked to the service advisor, and luckily, they had a new VARTA battery on hand. Since my car was covered by an extended warranty, I decided to go ahead with the battery replacement. I must say, Imam and Sudarshan from Tafe Access were efficient and had the job done within the next 4 hours. I had planned this as an expected cost, as the start was delayed by at least a second when I got the car. One thing I would like to mention is the fact that the battery number was paired with the car via the OBD Software. They also cleared all the existing fault codes.

The very next day, Sunday, I had planned a road trip with family to Konapura. Konapura is around 230 kilometers from Bangalore and close to Hassan.

The car behaved amazingly well and kept all of us comportable. Being my first road trip with the car, I drove in a very sedate manner, with speeds between 90-100 kmph only. I did not engage sports mode, and the normal mode power was just enough. I pressed the accelerator while doing 90, and the car reached 150 immediately. I was like, WOW! However, I drove most of the way at speeds of 90-100 only. There was sufficient power on tap, and these TSI engines are a beauty.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_1128.jpeg

While returning at night, the LED lamps and the coverage illuminated the road clearly in front. Here are the final figures of the day.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_1138.jpeg

There is only one sore point with the car till now.

The infotainment system keeps on crashing when used in Apple Carplay mode. I am looking for some input's if someone in the forum has already faced this issue.

Last edited by vivek.ks : 2nd October 2023 at 12:36.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 13:41   #5486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
I recently took delivery of my new ride and couldn't wait to hit the Bangalore traffic. Little did I know, it would be an eventful journey from bumper to battery!

The infotainment system keeps on crashing when used in Apple Carplay mode. I am looking for some input's if someone in the forum has already faced this issue.
Congratulations on the new car! Mind sharing how much the cost was for the PPF and other treatments?

Regarding crashing in Carplay mode, this is strange, I haven't had a single instance yet of it crashing. Have you tried a different wire?
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:22   #5487
BHPian

Quote:

I went home and parked it in the basement. In my enthusiasm, I accidentally left the interior lights on overnight. Three days later, I encountered an unexpected hiccup – my car refused to unlock. The battery had drained, and there was an odd situation where the front doors were locked while the rear ones were still open since I was able to at least press unlock button once.
1. The interior lights switch off as soon as the car is locked irrespective of the position of the switch. Are you sure you didn’t leave the parking lights on? (Done with the indicator stalk)

2. Although I have a 2015 model with no CarPlay, I’ve not faced any hiccups like yours. Neither have any of the other Skoda owners in my circle.

Congratulations on buying yourself the hardest car to upgrade from. Happy miles!
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 19:12   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Have you tried a different wire?
I was using a cable purchased from Amazon. I have replaced today with original apple cable. Let's see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
1. The interior lights switch off as soon as the car is locked irrespective of the position of the switch. Are you sure you didn’t leave the parking lights on? (Done with the indicator stalk)
I tested this today and indeed the interior lights switch off. Then I guess it's a genuine case of battery gone kaput.
Old 2nd October 2023, 21:13   #5489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was using a cable purchased from Amazon. I have replaced today with original apple cable. Let's see how that goes.

I tested this today and indeed the interior lights switch off. Then I guess it's a genuine case of battery gone kaput.
I use an Amazon branded cable on my 2015 Octavia and there are no issues with it.

Maybe your cable is faulty.
Old 4th October 2023, 12:20   #5490
BHPian

Quote:
I have this issue as well. Mine is a 2018 and randomly glitches when I reverse and return to the Android auto screen. I have seen the infotainment system restart very seldom. Please share if you have some clarity on the same.

Most Viewed