Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 20:56   #5326
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
Folks.. needed some gyan from you.. I am looking to replace my car tyres (size 205/55R16 91V).. wanted to go with Michelin Primacy but looks like they have stopped India supplies since 2020.. so any suggestions on which brand/model to go for?

Dealers are suggesting these options:
Yokohama, Earth1
CEAT, SecuraDrive
Continental, UltraContact UC6
Goodyear, Assurance TripleMax
Bridgestone, Sturdo

Pls suggest. I am looking for comfortable ride with less noise.. thank you!

I went with Vredestein ULTRAC VORTI and found it quite good in the first 500 km I drove. The grip feels better than Yokohoma Blu Earth 1 and is less noisy.

Last edited by shahbaz63 : 21st January 2023 at 20:56. Reason: Removing space
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 21:50   #5327
BHPian

Quote:
Continental UltraContact UC6.. any views on that?
Haven’t used Continental tyres on any of my cars. I’m a through and through Michelin man. Just a little less white and fluffy.

AFAIK, UltraContact tyres are also sport-oriented. I assume they’ll be fine.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:12   #5328
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, i would have loved to get those but they are not available in India anymore.. so looking for the next best alternate.. i am leaning towards Continental UltraContact UC6.. any views on that?
Hi, I have been running my Octavia on Continental UC6 for more than 10000kms, no issues with the tyres and the ride is very compliant. Grip levels are pretty decent too. Overall, a nice option, however I once drove an Octavia with Michelins and found them to be slightly more silent than UC6.
ShivWason17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 20:57   #5329
BHPian

Need some expert opinion!
I have been looking for used octavia/passat/Superb DSGs for some months now, came across a few

1) 40K km MY Dec 2016 Ambition plus
1st Owner
Very good condition
Feels solid, smooth engine and DSG sounds ok
New tyres, interior exterior good
Limited service history, windshield replaced, Bumper painted, couple of OEM services.
Spinny/cars24 type warranty(might be useless)
Quoted price 14L

2) 80K km MY Jun 2014 Elegance
2nd Owner
Good condition
engine sounds ok bit more noisy, suspension is not as good as option1, bit less pick up, DSG sounds ok, minor steering noise on turns
new tyres, interiors are very well maintained
Water pump replaced, 5 services, front bumper replaced, windshield replaced
Break fluids changes,
Spinny/cars24 type warranty(might be useless)
Quoted price 7.5L

Seeking expert opinion please

Is option 2 worthwhile or suicidal considering DSG failures
extended OEM warranties may not be possible for option2

Price difference is huge, I can make 3L FD for repairs
Old 28th January 2023, 15:53   #5330
JSB

Quote:
Thanks, i would have loved to get those but they are not available in India anymore.. so looking for the next best alternate.. i am leaning towards Continental UltraContact UC6.. any views on that?
Switched over to Continental UC6 yesterday at Darshan tyres Pune. Costed 34k including weight, valves, balancing and wheel alignment. Installed SensAiry TPMS as well, significant reduction in noise levels, lets see how they perform!

Thanks to all who guided on this, appreciate it!

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 28th January 2023 at 15:56. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 29th January 2023, 10:58   #5331

I have been a Škoda Octavia TDI AT owner since 2016 and have run 160000 kms single hand driven . It has been serviced regularly in the company every 15000 kms . It’s a beast on the highway , bumper to bumper traffic and in any road conditions . And it is stunning to look even after this mileage . Have changed tyres thrice and am now running on Michelin PS4 which is again due for a change after 55 k . Have changed timing belt , and did overhaul of suspension at 135000 k . It still takes off like a bullet when the pedal is pressed .
People have this notion of Škoda vehicles being expensive to maintain etc etc .. but my experience is if u take care of the beauty on time and drive it with passion and care it is a vehicle which can go in and in and on .
Maneesh1977 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 20:56   #5332
BHPian

Overall running cost at 45000 km

I wanted to wait until the 50k mark to make this post, but I decided to get it out of my system because I've wanted to do this since the 40k mark.

I got the delivery of my black 1.8TSI L&K on 02 October 2019. While the car mostly stayed on my porch from March 2020 to July 2021 due to COVID, I have managed to make up for it decently since then. It currently stands at the 45k mark most of which are trips I did in 2022.

I have a habit of keeping a record of (almost) all the expenses that I have on the car. Here is a breakdown of the overall cost to date.
  • Maintenance and modifications: ₹318,642.00
  • Insurance and maintenance package: ₹124,160.00
  • Fuel: ₹456,788.85

Here are the lists:
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-maintenance.png
  • Rubber coating was something like ceramic coating. Not entirely sure if I was right to do it. I had not done much research when I did it.
  • PPF is just on the hood to avoid rock chips on highway drives.
  • Rear bumper repainting was done just on the left side as I scratched it while reversing.
  • A few years later, I did the same mistake and broke the reflector on the bumper.
  • Rear brake pads changed at the 28k mark were aftermarket (TRW).
  • While the list says just ECU remap, it was ECU + TCU.
  • I always do wheel alignment + rotation + balancing every 5k. Some may say that balancing is not needed.
  • I also have a 70mai dashcam that cost around 15k. I haven't added it to the list as it was a gift from my wife.
  • Just remembered that there is around 5k worth of chrome delete that I did which I had forgotten to add to the list.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-insurance.png
  • Insurance amount has gone up every time as I keep bargaining to get the best IDV value. Some people warned me that the insurer will only accept the government-mandated IDV value if the unfortunate total loss/theft happens even if they agree to a higher one. I decided to try my luck anyway. Expert opinions are welcome here.
  • The SuperCare package has in effect brought 2nd and 3rd service costs to less than 10k each.
  • The third service costs ₹744 despite the SuperCare package as they refilled the engine coolant and replaced a blown fuse to the 12v charging socket.

Name:  Fuel.png
Views: 956
Size:  42.0 KB
This is pretty cool. The petrol price in Bangalore was ₹75/litre when I first fuelled my car. Now it's at ₹102/litre. Ghosts of simpler times.

So in the last 3 years and 3 months, I have spent 9 lacs apart from the value of the car. Out of that, around 2 lacs were just for the non-mandatory mods such as upsized OZ alloy wheels, hence upgraded tyres, and then a stage 1+ ECU and TCU remap.

And here are some pictures because I love to show off the gorgeousness.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20221120_212418_705.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20221126_110358_442.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20221126_150822_073.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20221126_235341_038.jpg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20221210_161102_937.jpg
anaghp is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 22:27   #5333
BHPian

Hey fellow owners, took my car out for a spin just now. Everything was fine. I parked my car at a cafe. Totally flat road, have been here with my car many times. There was a clunking noise from the gear shifter assembly while shifting out of P on the return drive. There’s no abnormalities when going between any other gear positions. Shifting from P to R only produces this noise along with a tendency to not shift out of P. The car has no fault codes. I’m attaching a video for reference. Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 13th February 2023, 13:55   #5334
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy the SuperCare package?

I bought the SuperCare package for my 2nd and 3rd service, bringing the per-service cost to less than 10k (Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)). Skoda is offering 2 and 4-year packages again and I intend to buy the 2-year package which will cost around 22k, which effectively will bring my per-service cost to 11k (For the 4th and 5th service).

The guarantee that it offers is against price rise. I want to get some expert opinions about this. Does it make sense to buy it?

This is what is covered in the package.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skodasupercare.jpeg
anaghp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:01   #5335
BHPian

I have the 2019 1.8TSI and I have experienced this numerous times probably from the beginning. It's not consistent, so I could never really take it up with the ASC. That said, I don't remember the last time it happened to me.

My justification is that there are cogs that have to align with each other whenever selecting a gear. Maybe this issue happens in rare cases where it's not a perfect alignment or something. I could be stupidly wrong too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Hey fellow owners, took my car out for a spin just now. Everything was fine. I parked my car at a cafe. Totally flat road, have been here with my car many times. There was a clunking noise from the gear shifter assembly while shifting out of P on the return drive. There’s no abnormalities when going between any other gear positions. Shifting from P to R only produces this noise along with a tendency to not shift out of P. The car has no fault codes. I’m attaching a video for reference. Any help will be much appreciated.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=fkrd7relwYI?feature=share
anaghp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 17:05   #5336
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Man your car looks fantastic. The de chrome work is simply next level. And your photography too.

Must admit the way you have maintained the records in such details. I think this shows how much you love your car.
dolphinjazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 12:59   #5337

Quote:
Hey fellow owners, the ASC diagnosed it to be a leak from the cooling coil. But they didn't sound too convincing. Upon asking for an estimate, I was told it's going to cost ~25k and the parts need to be ordered. Does this sound proper? 25k is a significant amount of money. Moreover, a casual search on GoMechanic lists the part at 3800 INR and it's 2915INR on Boodmo. Is there any competent independent mechanic I can get a second opinion from in Navi Mumbai? This sounds very fishy.
Hey revsperminute, seems like I'm on the same boat, the refrigerant on my Octavia was recharged during the last annual service in August 2022, and the cooling has gone kaput again, with similar hot air and hissing sound. How did you finally workaround with this problem in your car?

Has someone else amongst fellow bhpians faced similar issues with their Octavia?
Old 21st February 2023, 14:27   #5338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puniaaditya View Post
Hey revsperminute, seems like I'm on the same boat, the refrigerant on my Octavia was recharged during the last annual service in August 2022, and the cooling has gone kaput again, with similar hot air and hissing sound. How did you finally workaround with this problem in your car?

Has someone else amongst fellow bhpians faced similar issues with their Octavia?
I got my car checked by a competent AC mechanic. He could not find any leaks in the system after a thorough pressure test. However, he did tell me the evaporator is prone to failure in Skodas and the whole dashboard needs to be removed to replace it. Fortunately, in my case, the refrigerant has not leaked since I got it filled from outside. As far as I remember, it was a 1200 Rupees job.

As for the ASC, it was just another shot in the dark.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 12:19   #5339

Quote:
I got my car checked by a competent AC mechanic. He could not find any leaks in the system after a thorough pressure test. However, he did tell me the evaporator is prone to failure in Skodas and the whole dashboard needs to be removed to replace it. Fortunately, in my case, the refrigerant has not leaked since I got it filled from outside. As far as I remember, it was a 1200 Rupees job.

As for the ASC, it was just another shot in the dark.
Took the car today to the Skoda ASS in Chandigarh, the SA took less than 3 minutes to say the cooling coil is leaking, no pressure checks, no nothing, to confirm, entire dashboard needs to be opened, which will take 2 days, quoted 8k labour cost for it, after that, the part will have to be ordered, which was quoted at 18-20k, and the total cost quoted was approximately 50-55k including the refrigerant, cooling coil, and labour. The catch is, if on opening the dashboard, no problem is found with the evaporator and cooling coils, I'll still have to shell out 8-10k for the dashboard opening and closing.
Not very much satisfied with the behaviour of SA about this particular problem.

Asking for suggestions from fellow bhpians about how to work around this problem. The car is mostly used by mom, I don't want recurring niggles like this in it. But, even if I get the refrigerant recharged twice a year, without doing anything with the cooling and evaporator coils, still, it's going to cost much less than 55k which the SA has quoted, even if I keep doing it for the next 5 years.
Also, suggestions for competent FNG and AC mechanics for Skoda in Chandigarh are welcome, as the Skoda ASS seems to be hitting dead ends with all eyes closed.
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:55   #5340
BHPian

So, finally upgraded my wheels on the Octavia, after a long wait.

• 17” Lenso Jäger Java Satin Black Wheels wrapped in 225/45/R17 Michelin PS4 tires.
And the stance has improved by much, getting the lowering springs asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-bddb089c67f74c4fab2a4932e43acf10.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-ca8d4609402442f882f744311ddfae26.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-d4e44d109ef04833a4f3be14b7d8e06b.jpeg  

dieselhead01 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks