Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 23:51   #2671
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Hi All,

Just wanted to understand if there is a way to get the extended warranty (Year 3 and 4) cover for a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG if its already a 1+ year old car (Registered in Jan 2016).

If yes, how much would it cost? I didn't quite happen to find this information on the Skoda website nor on this forum.Would appreciate if anyone can help. Thanks.
You can extend your warranty if your current warranty has not expired, AFAIK the charges are different, Cheapest being when you buy the car and then it gets expensive every 6 months i guess, For instance when you bought the car you could have bought the extended warranty for 50,000 INR but now after a year it may cost you 65,000 INR, Check with a service centre they will give you the exact cost by fetching the details of your car from their system.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 23:56   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Tanveer is right. But this logic is used by VW. Skoda has flat rates. 22k for TSI and 34-35k for TDI. Also you can buy it anytime before 2 years at same price. I know this since quite some time but your dealer is the best person to answer. Also can try the telephone helpline.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 23:59   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
You can extend your warranty if your current warranty has not expired, AFAIK the charges are different, Cheapest being when you buy the car and then it gets expensive every 6 months i guess, For instance when you bought the car you could have bought the extended warranty for 50,000 INR but now after a year it may cost you 65,000 INR, Check with a service centre they will give you the exact cost by fetching the details of your car from their system.
Thanks Tanveer. I was in the process of buying a used Skoda Octavia (Registered in Jan 2016). The manufacturer warranty is intact till Jan 2018. However, I wanted to buy the extended warranty as well so that it would be covered till Jan 2020.

The current owner claims that the amount to get extended warranty now is around 44k (Says it was around 20K if he had got it when he got the car new). Just wanted to get a sense check if that amount seems Ok?

Thanks.
Old 18th February 2017, 00:05   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Tanveer. I was in the process of buying a used Skoda Octavia (Registered in Jan 2016). The manufacturer warranty is intact till Jan 2018. However, I wanted to buy the extended warranty as well so that it would be covered till Jan 2020.
Always best if your planning to keep a german, Extended warranty is a must.

Quote:
The current owner claims that the amount to get extended warranty now is around 44k (Says it was around 20K if he had got it when he got the car new). Just wanted to get a sense check if that amount seems Ok?

Thanks.
Seems about right, It was quoted 65k if i wanted to renew my warranty after 1.5 years of ownership of the Jetta, Also give a call to 2-3 different service centre, Seems some might have some special consideration and give you a better deal, Regardless of it being 44k or 50k go for it and you'll have complete peace of mind, One small part in a german goes kaput you can be very sure of recovering your warranty amount easily
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 07:12   #2675
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, I paid around 23k in year 1 as the price jumps quite a bit in year 2. Earlier Skoda had a deal with different insurance companies in different regions to issue this special EW master policy. Now they issue it themselves on their own letterhead probably backed up internally with a reindeer.

Whatever it is, buy it! Do note that there is some basic documentation required with formally transferring the EW to your name so just call any dealer, provide the number, ask for the rate and formalities and get the seller to sign those forms as well.

Keep us posted!
Old 18th February 2017, 07:54   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Whatever it is, buy it! Do note that there is some basic documentation required with formally transferring the EW to your name so just call any dealer, provide the number, ask for the rate and formalities and get the seller to sign those forms as well.

Keep us posted!
Hmm Interesting. I thought the EW would be on the car and is independent of the owner.

Now I am thinking what I should be doing next. I am mostly taking the delivery of the car on Friday (24th Feb).

Should I get the extended warranty now in current owners name, ask the current owner to sign on the EW transfer papers and then go ahead with the RTO registration transfer.

Or, should I get the RTO registration done first after taking the car and then go ahead and apply for EW in my name once I get the car registered in my name?

If it's 6 months slots, I think the amount should remain the same in either case since it'll be between 1 to 1.5 years.

Will surely give a call to the couple of dealers in Bangalore today. Thanks guys. Appriciate your quick replies on this.
Old 18th February 2017, 08:27   #2677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should I get the extended warranty now in current owners name, ask the current owner to sign on the EW transfer papers and then go ahead with the RTO registration transfer.

Or, should I get the RTO registration done first after taking the car and then go ahead and apply for EW in my name once I get the car registered in my name?
Just call any dealer. Skoda dealers are highly controlled in terms of such systems and processes and will immediately give you the exact formalities to be carried out. From what I can see on the SAIL website (http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/service/skoda-shield), the transfer itself is free (within 2 years) but it needs to be intimated formally and entered into the Skoda EW system.

Quote below (highlights mine):

When does the Extended Warranty period Begins & Ends?
The Extended Warranty period begins from the date of expiry of new car Manufacturer's warranty period and extends up to 2 years or 1,00,000 km, whichever occurs earlier.

This Extended warranty is automatically transferred without cost if the ownership of the vehicle changes within the warranty period. Ownership change needs to be brought to the notice of the dealership.

With regards to repairs performed or parts fitted under Extended Warranty, the warranty on the same ends once the Extended warranty for the relevant vehicles expires.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 13:58   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey,

Tanveer is right. But this logic is used by VW. Skoda has flat rates. 22k for TSI and 34-35k for TDI. Also you can buy it anytime before 2 years at same price. I know this since quite some time but your dealer is the best person to answer. Also can try the telephone helpline.
Quote:

Thanks.
Extended Warranty charges vary with the passage of time. You get it at the cheapest when you buy it at the time of purchase of car. They have different slabs depending upon the time when you buy it.

When I bought my extended warranty they had a tie up with ICICI Lombard and I paid Rs. 14,254/- for 2 years extended warranty. However this extended warranty is very limited in its coverage (though it covers major components).

After that Skoda has come out with another package of extended warranty. This time also they have tied up with some insurance company. However I have been told that this warranty is wide in its coverage and it is very similar to company provided extended warranty so far as procedures go. Just before expiry of two years of my original warranty I was offered this extended warranty for Rs. 48096/- (41823 + 15% Service Tax). I have also got the list of exclusions. I was not allowed to take the snap of warranty related circular issued by Skoda in which different slabs of extended warranty charges were mentioned.

Meanwhile I have received my car which was given for sunroof rattling issue. It took them 11 days to sort out this issue. Whole sunroof along with front windshield and roof lining were removed. They have refitted everything as per instructions from Skoda and there is marked difference. The issues seems to be sorted out now. I hope it stays this way and no new issues arise out of the whole procedure. I am very worried about water leakage as the whole sunroof was removed.

However I must say that my talks with the Service Manager has been very reassuring. He is very confident about the work done and his reassurances has reduced my anxiety. We also discussed about issues related to Adi's car also!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Exclusions from warranty.pdf (1.49 MB, 433 views)
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 22:38   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Quote below (highlights mine):

When does the Extended Warranty period Begins & Ends?
The Extended Warranty period begins from the date of expiry of new car Manufacturer's warranty period and extends up to 2 years or 1,00,000 km, whichever occurs earlier.

This Extended warranty is automatically transferred without cost if the ownership of the vehicle changes within the warranty period. Ownership change needs to be brought to the notice of the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Extended Warranty charges vary with the passage of time. You get it at the cheapest when you buy it at the time of purchase of car. They have different slabs depending upon the time when you buy it.
Thanks a lot itwastnme and rutvij.

I had called up the Skoda dealer in Bangalore (Tafe access St.Marks Road). Below is the information that I got.

1. The extended warranty can be got till the end of 2 years from the delivery date of the vehicle. The amount is independent of when you take the extended warranty. The current amount is around 44K.

2. Skoda keep revising this amount on a periodic basis. Last it was revised was around 4 months back and it was around 38k before that.

3. I specifically asked if the amount varies if I take it say around 9 months later since you guys mentioned about the slabs, he answered in the negative and that there are no slab rates. It just varies whenever skoda revise the rates.

4. Regarding transfer of the EW. He says that you can do it at anytime free of cost. They issue the EW basis the information on the RC. It takes around 2 weeks for the EW to be delivered to your address.

5. If you already have an EW and you want to transfer it, you should show the updated RC Copy and get the EW updated in the new owners name. However, your EW certificate will still mention the original owners name and you will be issued a ownership change acknowledgement book(not sure what this is). Not sure what this book is, but, as long as it serves the purpose, it should be sufficient and all other terms and conditions remain intact as the original EW.

I am thinking I'll go and get the EW immediately after I get the car on Friday (24th Feb). Will apply for a ownership change of the EW when I get the RC card with my ownership details on it. Just don't want to take the risk of taking the EW only post ownership change. (You never know when Skoda can change policies even its only a matter of 2 or 3 weeks)

Also, to update, I am buying a Octavia white 1.8 TSI DSG. I have gone through this thread pretty thoroughly and I kinda understand what I am getting into.

1. Huge DSG failure risk and a 2 week downtime to repair it what I see and read. I am Ok with this as long as they repair it under warranty and it does not cost me a bomb. I also read on the forum that there are a few cases where Skoda have repaired / replaced the gearbox in goodwill even if the vehicle is not under warraty - I am banking on this post 4 years!

2. The sunroof rattle is another issue i read which is common and hopefully it would be fixed as well. I have driven the car that I am taking for around 3 hours across all kinds of roads and I didn't notice any rattle in the sunroof for now thankfully.

3. I am also aware of the funny mileage figures that I might get in this car in heavy traffic and also its oil drinking capabilities. I have already ordered for Castrol Edge 5W40 Oil on Amazon to keep it on the boot for this purpose.

I have got this car checked and evaluated by 'wheels wisdom' guys in Bangalore. They took the car to Tafe and got it checked. They did a pretty decent job and they have given me a detailed report which mentions no major issues with the car. The only problem is one of the front sensors on the car is a little dislocated (not fixed flush on the bumper) and it keeps buzzing most of the time and it gets irritating. I need to get this fixed. Hopefully it should be an easy fix.

I am getting a 1 year old Octavia TSI DSG which is run around 17k Kms for around 60% of the current onroad price (67% of the onroad purchase price) for the car in Bangalore (Not considering the current discounts). I thought it was fantastic value for money and a good deal.

This is the Elegance variant. So, the owner did not get the paddle shifters on it. He has put the flat bottom steering wheel with paddles as well and it is coming as a part of the package I have asked him to give me the original steering wheel as well.

Super excited and looking forward to owning this car. Will post some pictures once i get it. Will look forward to all your help going forward. This is the first German car in the family and hopefully it holds up well. Cheers.
Kimified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 00:58   #2680
Mtv
BHPian

Thought I'd update the forum on my cars's progress.

My 1.8 Has been at the workshop for four months now. It was only last month that they could diagnose what was wrong. Until then I heard nothing concrete from them , other than a battery and a fuel pump issue.

The ECM failed and needs to be replaced. I was under the impression that the newer lot of cars wouldn't be plagued with any of the usual Skoda problems we are used to seeing. Other threads tell me that this is not an unfamiliar issue with petrol Skodas. I also faced a battery and mechatronic failure before this.

At this point, I am pretty sure I own the most unreliable Octavia on the forum
Mtv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 01:14   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
My 1.8 Has been at the workshop for four months now. It was only last month that they could diagnose what was wrong. Until then I heard nothing concrete from them , other than a battery and a fuel pump issue.

Wow, I can feel your pain brother. This is one of the reason for me to stay away from Skoda. I love Skoda, especially the new Superb and feels it is worthy replacement for our 2008 City.

But downtime like this can't be tolerated, since it will be our only car. I see you have other car to do the duty hence not missing the car much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Did the service center kept you in the loop on the diagnosis of the car or did you have to pester them to get the updates ?
Old 21st February 2017, 01:34   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot itwastnme and rutvij.

1. The extended warranty can be got till the end of 2 years from the delivery date of the vehicle. The amount is independent of when you take the extended warranty. The current amount is around 44K.

2. Skoda keep revising this amount on a periodic basis. Last it was revised was around 4 months back and it was around 38k before that.

Whoa.. that's pretty steep. I got my extended warranty for around 22k only. Mine is a 2014 March diesel elegance and of course extended warranty wasn't available at the time. I remember getting it towards the end of an year and half of the car being with me.

Also iv read on the forum about a lot of third party warranties being offered. Well I got mine from skoda on their letterhead and there is no mention of any insurance company being the mediators anywhere. I would assume skoda to offer the same price for their warranty irrespective of the location.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 06:13   #2683
BHPian

Quote:

Super excited and looking forward to owning this car. Will post some pictures once i get it. Will look forward to all your help going forward. This is the first German car in the family and hopefully it holds up well. Cheers.
All the best for your new car brother I'm sure you'll enjoy it and yes you're getting an amazing deal in terms of value for money. Definitely should go for the EW, no doubts about it. Do keep us updated in a few days when you get your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post

Really sorry to hear about your situation. Hope that they identify the exact issue and rectify it as soon as possible. Four months is a really long time to be without the car. You should definitely escalate the matters to Skoda India and also share your case on social media.
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 17:00   #2684
Senior - BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for the VRS version to launch, I am hunting for a upgrade from a Jetta TDI (Yes i know it won't be a proper upgrade in many ways) But still just wanted to keep my options open and the VRS badge does give me a kick, Along with slightly used Bmw's and audi's, But getting to know the troubles several customer's are going through is just really heartbreaking, Along with that we aren't even sure when would the VRS version come and what would be bought along with it from the international market.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 21st February 2017 at 17:02.
Old 24th February 2017, 13:45   #2685
BHPian

I am waiting for the VRS as well and I hear, we should expect it in 6 months. I hope it's not the facelift version as the new front is quite quirky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks