Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:25   #61
BHPian

Re: The Grey Hound: My Renault Duster 85 RXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Anyone else seen a similar issue?
Yes. My front right tyre has a similar crack but 'U' shaped. Renault chaps say its safe and not a problem.
For safety, I'll be getting it checked again at an MRF outlet. Please do let me know if you get more info.

I am trying to find a reliable MRF outlet to start with. Soon I'll hit 5K mark, so will get the alignment and wheel
rotation also done.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 22nd November 2013 at 09:27.
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I am trying to find a reliable MRF outlet to start with. Soon I'll hit 5K mark, so will get the alignment and wheel
rotation also done.
I also plan to show it to Renault and MRF when I drive that way next time. Expecting a standard reply. But you got to do what you got to do. For safety I plan to switch it with the stepney.

This is the first time I have seen anything like this happen. All my tyres for more than a decade have had punctures still only balded and replaced, never have I see crack develop like this. Guess MRFs are not yet in the league of reliable Tubeless tyres.
Old 11th December 2013, 00:32   #63
BHPian

Recent accessories for my Grey Hound:
1) Chrome handle covers.
2) Embossed custom number plates.
3) Garware Icecool 70 for windows.

Went for the chrome handle covers. Although I have them installed, I now feel the original black suited better.

Embossed number plates. The picture is unable to do justice to the look. These look far better in real.

Garware Icecool 70 transparent sun control films

Effective in blocking heat from sun rays. The heat does seep in but it is not the burning sensation. The other advantage is the AC now cools much quicker.

Here is a picture from the driver seat to compare the shade on the glass.
The Grey Hound: My Renault Duster 85 RXL-20131210-09.36.30.jpg

The film has a very light grey shade, but negligible.
The Grey Hound: My Renault Duster 85 RXL-20131210-09.38.26.jpg

Updated spreadsheet with expenses to date.
HillMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 06:31   #64
BHPian

Nice upgrades! The license plate looks good and so does the sun film - pretty subtle.
Kartik Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 10:10   #65
BHPian

To be honest, I am against any chrome overdose on any machines esp the chrome kit on duster lights, it looks awful. For the door handles, the body color may look good. I feel a black carbon fibre finish will also be good.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:17   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I feel a black carbon fibre finish will also be good.
Yep, totally agreed, the original black handles suited better. Thats my feeling too after fixing the covers. Now that its done, I'll keep it. It doesnt look too much out of place, can live with it for the investment done

The one on @Ram190877's Black Duster looks good to me. Black and Chrome are made for each other. If a chrome strip is added to window sill, it will complete its look.

Last edited by HillMan : 11th December 2013 at 10:31.
Old 30th December 2013, 13:24   #67
BHPian

Quote:
So guys after looking at the universal arm rest on @pahwa's Renault Duster, which fit well. I couldnt' resist the temptation anymore.

I ordered a beige, as that was the lightest shade available. My interiors are butterscotch. The one from eBay delivered and looked like this.
Attachment 1143636
Hillman,

Please can you advise from where you ordered this Arm rest. Was it online or from the dealer itself. It looks awesome and perfectly fits the interiors and the finish, moreover the comfort while driving with your hands on the arm rest is very useful. Please advise.
Old 30th December 2013, 14:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Please can you advise from where you ordered this Arm rest.
Just give a search for "Universal arm rest" on eBay.in

The colour of the arm rest was different from what I have. The folks who stitched the seat covers for me were kind enough to change my arm rest leather.

The arm rest is very comfortable for long rides, I'll recommend it as a must have. Only thing is while fitting them please ensure, it does not interfere with the hand brakes. Dont go with the lowest height setting for arm rest.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 14:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Just give a search for "Universal arm rest" on eBay.in
This is the one I came across on ebay.in. Is this the same one, price Rs.1399/-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...937d3d9&_uhb=1
Old 30th December 2013, 15:12   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
This is the one I came across on ebay.in. Is this the same one, price Rs.1399/-
I went with low cost deal (Rs.899/-). I believe they are all the same quality. It cost a bit more than, but I got small discount for using master card.

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_sacat...rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Last edited by HillMan : 30th December 2013 at 15:16.
Old 5th March 2014, 20:10   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also plan to show it to Renault and MRF when I drive that way next time. Expecting a standard reply. But you got to do what you got to do. For safety I plan to switch it with the stepney.

This is the first time I have seen anything like this happen. All my tyres for more than a decade have had punctures still only balded and replaced, never have I see crack develop like this. Guess MRFs are not yet in the league of reliable Tubeless tyres.
I think this is very unfair and an extreme opinion.

I've seen these kind of damages on various tyres. MRFs, Apollos, Michelins and so on. This is caused due to a hit or impact. Irrespective of how careful you are, our bad roads can cause issues like this.

If it is the first time you have seen this issue, it's a good thing! I work with automobiles all the time and this is a common thing.

It is the outer casing which has cracked. If this was a reliable tubeless soft compound tyre like Michelin or something, it would have got cut completely. You should be thanking your stars that it hasnt happened in your case.

I can understand your angst at seeing such damage when you have taken so much care to maintain your car but this is not MRF's fault. This is thanks to our terrible roads.

I suggest you keep this as a spare tyre to prevent the crack from opening up further.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 20:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I think this is very unfair and an extreme opinion.
The feeling compounded when I read threads with similar issues on Duster.
I might have driven over some bad patch without realizing it.

I have switched it with the spare tyre since and have not seen any issue with the other 4. You have a point, a softer tyre would have given way. The situation could have been different.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 19:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I might have driven over some bad patch without realizing it.
One of the shortcomings of the Duster, I found after a short test drive, is that the ride quality, suspension etc are so good that you end up thinking it is an invincible vehicle and you subconsciously drive over rough patches without bothering about trivial things like tyres :-)

I suppose one has to tread cautiously over the humps and pot holes just as cautiously as with a sedan !!
Old 10th March 2014, 22:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I suppose one has to tread cautiously over the humps and pot holes just as cautiously as with a sedan !!
True no second thoughts there. I've mentioned this in an earlier post. It is very easy to get carried away in the Duster

Although its tougher than a sedan, it helps in most bad roads. But a rock can do unimaginable damages. So need caution while going through bad bumps.

One more common issue, is the door rattle. I am sure the invincible feel is the main culprit
Old 12th March 2014, 11:41   #75
BHPian

I have been following your thread regularly Hillman. I live in Himachal and used to own a maruti 800 and qualis. So duster felt like a natural upgrade to these cars. Overtaking and parking is a pain in the hills so i needed a car with great visibility. Ecosport was not chosen for the very same reason. Roads in HP are designed to kill your suspension, so i needed a crossover that rides well and has robust build quality. I hope I don't regret the buying decision

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks