Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 12:02   #271
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Just back from a 1400KM trip across the Western Ghats...
She looks stunning
Which place is this? Would love to drive on that road.
Great pics!
Old 28th June 2014, 14:03   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
She looks stunning

Which place is this? Would love to drive on that road.

Great pics!

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1403944289.916794.jpg

Took the road from haliyal to canacona via dandeli. Its a dream stretch. Sparse traffic, newly laid roads and perfect ghat ambience.
Old 11th July 2014, 02:01   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Automech exhaust (http://www.automechexhausts.com/) installed with a decat downpipe. A big shout out to Pete's Bangalore for helping out with the installation. The sound and power improvement is great but the fit and finish is not of international standards. Love the DSG farts/burps and it sounds somewhat like a superbike.

Pros:
Sound (maybe a tad louder than I would have liked)
Power bump (esp low and mid range)
Price (I got the mild steel one with stainless steel muffler tip)

Cons:
Oxygen sensor port placement is weird (portion of the heat shield needs to be cut)
Overall quality of construction may be improved

Received it wrapped in bubble wrap.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo1.jpg

The DEcat downpipe
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo3.jpg

The OE CAT
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo4.jpg

A short video

I will do some more drive-by videos soon. Its been raining cats and dogs in Bangalore over the last few days.

Also got the Brembo brake pads installed. Thanks to bhpian Prithwi and Rohan_Shetty for helping out. Ordered the pads from Yolo Performance and Wraps, Chennai(https://www.facebook.com/yoloperformanceandwraps).

Carzspares also have them I guess (https://www.facebook.com/carzspares/info).

Drove around for 50-60Km and the bite seems to have improved a bit. Lets see how it performs over time.
The installation is very easy and straight forward.

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photo2.jpg

Just dont forget to press the push the piston back to the starting point
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-photobrakepress.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:12   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

So if I understand this correctly, you removed the catalytic convertor permanently? The car will now pollute much more than before, am I correct? Note: I am not asking about PUC (I know one can get the PUC certificate anyhow), I am asking about real emissions.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:28   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So if I understand this correctly, you removed the catalytic convertor permanently?
Yes, from what I infer from the snaps, the catalytic converter is replaced with a straight pipe. Better exhaust note and a slight increase in the horsepower due to the reduction of the exhaust backpressure and the free flow of exhaust gases. At a PUC center though, the car will fail the emission tests.

I am curious to know how the fuel economy takes the hit.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:36   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost all the modded laura/octavia are running decat downpipes. I got a high flow sports cat for my laura but it is not available as of now for the polo. Even the cars with decat downpipes dont fail the emissions testing done here in India on idling.
But yes it will pollute more than a car with the CAT. However, since its a bolt on pipe, you can put back the CAT whenever you want.
As for fuel economy, it hasn't been affected much. I need to drive around more to make an accurate assessment. The initial throttle response and the meaty growl outweighs the meagre loss in fuel economy for me.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:10   #277
BHPian

Quote:
brake pads installed.
Need to be replacing my brake pads very shortly, and was going in for Brembo as well, just wanted to know if i should change the rotars as well.

What rotars are you using? I see Prithwi has also put in Brembo pads but is using stock rotars and he has noticed a significant improvement on bite.

Assuming with slit rotars the braking would be significantly improved over stock rotars?
Old 11th July 2014, 14:26   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
What rotars are you using? I see Prithwi has also put in Brembo pads but is using stock rotars and he has noticed a significant improvement on bite.

Assuming with slit rotars the braking would be significantly improved over stock rotars?

I am using TAROX G88 grooved rotors. Along with the Brembo pads and VCDS changes in brake settings, the overall braking has improved quite a bit. Brembo slotted rotors are also an option and would be much cheaper as there is no custom duty and international shipping involved. Carzspares and yolo performance have installed it in a few cars, maybe you can get a feedback from them.
Old 16th July 2014, 21:09   #279
BHPian

Hi Robi,
You have an amazing car with mind blowing modifications.I am booking a new Polo tsi this week and your thread has really helped me to plan the modifications for the car.

I have some questions,if you can help me with them

1.I am planning to put 17" borbet lv5 on 205/45/r17 yokohama s-drive tyres
is it advisable to just change the springs to HR lowering springs (25mm FR and 30mm RR) with stock shocks

2.If i change the instrument cluster will it void my warranty?

3.Are the brembo brake pads ceramic compound ones?

Thanks&Regards,
KN
Old 21st July 2014, 18:17   #280
BHPian

Hello Robbie, I have a small request from my side. Can you please post pictures of the MDI box and bluetooth module. I want with the location where it is installed. I have almost finalised the same setup as yours so just want to check it out. If you stay in bangalore, I am ready to come and check in person wherever you are and whenever you are free. Thanks

Regards
Suraj
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:46   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Hi Robi,
You have an amazing car with mind blowing modifications.I am booking a new Polo tsi this week and your thread has really helped me to plan the modifications for the car.

I have some questions,if you can help me with them

1.I am planning to put 17" borbet lv5 on 205/45/r17 yokohama s-drive tyres
is it advisable to just change the springs to HR lowering springs (25mm FR and 30mm RR) with stock shocks

2.If i change the instrument cluster will it void my warranty?

3.Are the brembo brake pads ceramic compound ones?

Thanks&Regards,
KN
KN

1.The correct tire size in 17 inches is 215/40 R17 for the Polo. Be very careful with the tire sizes in the GT Tsi as it has got ESP else you might end up with ESP errors. If you want to lower the car you can get the H&R springs but do not lower it on the stock shock absorbers. The ride becomes horrible and you will scrape everywhere.

2. Yes it will void warranty.

3. The are not ceramic, just OE replacement for 2400INR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuraj View Post
Hello Robbie, I have a small request from my side. Can you please post pictures of the MDI box and bluetooth module. I want with the location where it is installed. I have almost finalised the same setup as yours so just want to check it out. If you stay in bangalore, I am ready to come and check in person wherever you are and whenever you are free. Thanks

Regards
Suraj
I don't have an MDI box. Its just the BT module beneath the drivers seat (it can be installed behind the climatronic controls as well like in the Laura) and the RCD510. I do stay in Bangalore and you can come over to check in person anytime.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:04   #282
BHPian

Quote:
KN

1.The correct tire size in 17 inches is 215/40 R17 for the Polo. Be very careful with the tire sizes in the GT Tsi as it has got ESP else you might end up with ESP errors. If you want to lower the car you can get the H&R springs but do not lower it on the stock shock absorbers. The ride becomes horrible and you will scrape everywhere.

2. Yes it will void warranty.

3. The are not ceramic, just OE replacement for 2400INR.

I don't have an MDI box. Its just the BT module beneath the drivers seat (it can be installed behind the climatronic controls as well like in the Laura) and the RCD510. I do stay in Bangalore and you can come over to check in person anytime.
I do not have PM Feature. Please send me your details. Will inform you before coming.
Old 24th July 2014, 00:47   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuraj View Post
I do not have PM Feature. Please send me your details. Will inform you before coming.

I don't know how to send you my details but you can mail me at robimahanta@gmail.com
Old 30th July 2014, 00:47   #284
BHPian

Went to robbie's place to check out the baby beast yesterday. Rode shotgun with robbie for 20 kms (electronic city expressway). What a car!!. It is just too good. The way the DSG shifts gears and power delivered is truly remarkable. By the way, there are no jerks from the DSG (even in stop go traffic experienced near Madiwala) and the only way of knowing the gear change is the change in exhaust note. I think he switched to S mode only a couple of times. The normal D mode was more than enough . The ride is not that stiff that I had expected(B6's) but does its job well. The brake and power upgrade go hand in hand and it is a great combination. He offered to me to drive but I was just too scared (I need to drive Stock TSi a couple of times more and then I can feel the change). The "cluster", Remap(petes),Brakes is a MUST have for all GT TSi,TDi owners. The photos do not do justice. You have to experience it to believe it. A big shout out for Robbie for taking time for me out of his busy schedule and spending an hour with me. Also, big thanks for the VCDS tweaks too. Hope to see the big beast soon.

Regards
Suraj
Old 8th October 2014, 17:47   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

Changed the interior rear view mirror to a Gentex Auto-dimming one with compass. The quality is topnotch compared to the poor stock mirror. The premium feel inside the cabin has gone up even more.

Mobile phone pictures:

Brilliant build quality with perfect performance. It is slightly bigger and reflects a wider perspective than the stock mirror. It uses a special electromagnetic gel sandwiched between two sheets of ultra-clear glass. When bright light hits the mirror's built-in sensors they send an electric current to the gel, causing it to dim. The amount of dim is proportional to how bright the glare of headlights behind is , making night driving safer.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-gentexirvm.jpg

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-irvm.jpg

The stock mirror is actually a TATA product.
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-tatairvm.jpg

The GTi bixenons have been quite a boon this monsoon as the stock headlamps were quite inadequate especially during the rains.

VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi EDIT: Sold!-gtibixenon.jpg

Last edited by robimahanta : 8th October 2014 at 17:55.
robimahanta is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed