Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 15:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S

Got an update! Finally getting done with my car loan, and finding some spare cash to spend on the BlueBolt.

So, on Feb 1st, I decided to give the music system of the car an upgrade, mainly I intended to add the much required 'thump' in the front stage of the car. So took it to PowerZone at Royapetta, Chennai. The owner, Mr. Saravanan was a very courteous person, who suggested that I get Kicker front components and damping done as the first stage. Later, when time and money permits, I shall get a Sub and an Amp he said. So got this done -

The bare metal door, with the OEM speakers removed
The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-wp_20140201_007.jpg

These are the two products that went in, on that day - DampMat damping material and Kicker 6.5 inch component speakers
The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-wp_20140201_008.jpg

Damping was very carefully, and meticulately installed, by Mr. Saravanan and his associate
The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-wp_20140201_013.jpg

Damping was cut out, and Water Guard ( an MFD alternative ) was installed. This was Saravanan recommendation and choice
The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-wp_20140201_021.jpg

The speakers and the tweeters were installed, and the crossover for the components was stuck onto the damping material! Don't know how trouble free this would be, but I trust Power Zone for their abilities...
The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-wp_20140202_015.jpg

Got back home to find that the Central locking was malfunctioning, which was later identified to be due to a blown out fuse. Which was diagnosed ( by trial and error method ) and rectified free of cost by Power Zone itself.

I have been asked to run with a EQ setting preset by Saravanan for about 15 hours, most of which is now over. Let me finish the run in, try it out with my settings and then give you guys an update on the outcome Hope it gives me, what I desired for.
Attached Thumbnails
The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-wp_20140202_00220140202102522.jpg  

Last edited by aravind.anand : 28th February 2014 at 15:42.
aravind.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Got stuck in the rush hour traffic en route to the office today morning, and since most of the 15 hour run-in for the speakers was almost over ( 13+ hours actually ) decided to try them out with my personal settings. And the outcome was rather disappointing!

There certainly is a mild increase in the bass levels - more evident at higher volume levels, and the clarity from the front speakers are much improved. I can actually feel that the rear OEM speakers actually sound muffled in comparison now.
But the overall improvement in bass levels are far less satisfactory than a 12K investment should actually be!

Since they told me that the HU was the weakest link in my setup at the time of installing itself, I am now thinking that the stage 2 for ICE mods will have just the HU upgrade! I was very reluctant to change the HU, as it would spoil the stock looks. But if that is going to affect the sound stage, then it has to leave!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 3rd March 2014 at 11:04.
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:48   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

you desperately need to install an amp. Do that before changing your HU and you will definitely see a vast improvement, on top of which if you want more, you can choose to change the HU
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
you desperately need to install an amp. Do that before changing your HU and you will definitely see a vast improvement, on top of which if you want more, you can choose to change the HU
Thanks Ishaan, but are you sure that an Amp would provide the solution? I am starting to get some doubts if the speaker I went for is right, to get what I was looking for. I did tell the installer that I was looking for a significant improvement in bass ( not subwoofer levels, but at least a Honda City OEM speaker levels )

Also, any Amp that you can suggest for me?
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:12   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Thanks Ishaan, but are you sure that an Amp would provide the solution? I am starting to get some doubts if the speaker I went for is right, to get what I was looking for. I did tell the installer that I was looking for a significant improvement in bass ( not subwoofer levels, but at least a Honda City OEM speaker levels )

Also, any Amp that you can suggest for me?
Honda City OEM? Lol this will get a LOT better with an amp, good wiring and good tuning. A VFM amp would be the 4ch. Ground Zero you can pick up a brand new one for 6k and at that price it really does perform remarkably.
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:16   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Thanks Ishaan, but are you sure that an Amp would provide the solution? ...
Haven't you installed component speakers in the front? Ideally, an AMP is required to get the best out of component speakers. I was actually surprised that it was NOT suggested by the installer as a part of the 1st stage installation. Again, you will also need to get a competent HU for the BEST output, but having an HU without an amp may not help completely.
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:28   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda City OEM? Lol this will get a LOT better with an amp, good wiring and good tuning. A VFM amp would be the 4ch. Ground Zero you can pick up a brand new one for 6k and at that price it really does perform remarkably.
Wow, sounds great! so the sound quality as well as the bass would improve significantly? Sounds perfect actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
+1

Haven't you installed component speakers in the front? Ideally, an AMP is required to get the best out of component speakers. I was actually surprised that it was NOT suggested by the installer as a part of the 1st stage installation. Again, you will also need to get a competent HU for the BEST output, but having an HU without an amp may not help completely.
Yes, the installer offered me two options, I went for the more expensive option of the two, as it had a lower frequency response of 35. But since that model had been stopped. and was not in stock, these Kicker components with a low frequency response of 50 were fitted on the car.

I was and still an skeptical about the depth of bass these speakers can put out

But I finally have some hope after both you and Ishaan are suggesting to go with an Amp and wiring install. I am not looking for extreme Boom kind of a bass, a neat, tight and a bit deep bass is more than enough.
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Help me understand mate, you upgraded the front component speakers with damping on the front doors running on the stock HU. Right?

What preset EQ setting are we talking about for run-in?

Quote:
I have been asked to run with a EQ setting preset by Saravanan for about 15 hours, most of which is now over. Let me finish the run in, try it out with my settings and then give you guys an update on the outcome Hope it gives me, what I desired for.
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:33   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing sounds ok here.

Sticking crossovers to the damping material isn't a great idea.
How good is the Stock HU as a Driver/Source for Kicker Components?
First of all there isn't going to be that much increase (as claimed) that a basically solid build Fiesta needs damping for this setup!
Stock HU Settings: Bass & Treble: -6 To +6. Fader & Balance. Comp - On/Off. That's about it. What setting was done with this that it needs run in? :P

Buddy, please check with the ICE folks here before you do anything further.
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:07   #115
BANNED

As folks have said, your installer did lack a little knowledge or has just taken you for a ride here. Either way, you ought to be fine. Put some coaxials behind and a 4ch. amp all with good wiring and while this is being done, ask for the crossovers to be mounted in a proper location too. You will be set. All without needing to ruin the look of your dashboard
Old 4th March 2014, 08:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Help me understand mate, you upgraded the front component speakers with damping on the front doors running on the stock HU. Right?

What preset EQ setting are we talking about for run-in?
Yes Anachronix, I got this set up at the moment -

- Front: Kicker Components with two layers of Dampmat damping on the front doors alone.
- Rear OEM speakers
- Both run by the OEM HU

For the run in, the settings that Mr. Saravanan set was -
Bass : +3, Treble: -1 & FAD: F3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Nothing sounds ok here.

Sticking crossovers to the damping material isn't a great idea.
How good is the Stock HU as a Driver/Source for Kicker Components?
First of all there isn't going to be that much increase (as claimed) that a basically solid build Fiesta needs damping for this setup!
Buddy, please check with the ICE folks here before you do anything further.
Thanks Kiku, the installer is one of the most recommended installers in Chennai, from our forum here. But when he stuck the cossover to the damping, though I still trust him, my confidence was dented.

The last Samurai - Ford Fiesta 1.6S-crossover.jpg

He damped the doors, as we had a plan of amplifying the setup and adding more powerful co-axials in the rear as part of Stage 2 install.

As for the run-in settings, it was set by the installer, after he auditioned the setup. settings are in my reply to Anachronix in the above quote.

Quote:
Put some coaxials behind and a 4ch. amp all with good wiring and while this is being done, ask for the crossovers to be mounted in a proper location too. You will be set. All without needing to ruin the look of your dashboard
I initially had JBL setup in mind, but the installer swears by Kicker in the VFM department, thus went ahead. So next step would be to add an amp for the current set up, and if found lacking - upgrade rear co-axials too?
Where should the crossovers be mounted ideally? under the seat?

The main reason for this budget limitation is because, I had planned to spend upto 12k for ICE Stage 1 (successfully completed) Once that gets done, I wanted to allocate 25K towards Performance upgrade Stage 1. And if I complete Stage 2 of ICE now, the performance upgrade will be pushed back by more than a month

Last edited by aravind.anand : 4th March 2014 at 08:23.
Old 4th March 2014, 09:30   #117
BANNED

Quote:
I initially had JBL setup in mind, but the installer swears by Kicker in the VFM department, thus went ahead. So next step would be to add an amp for the current set up, and if found lacking - upgrade rear co-axials too?

The main reason for this budget limitation is because, I had planned to spend upto 12k for ICE Stage 1 (successfully completed) Once that gets done, I wanted to allocate 25K towards Performance upgrade Stage 1. And if I complete Stage 2 of ICE now, the performance upgrade will be pushed back by more than a month
Not sure about Kicker never tried it out but it must be fine. Please do install co-axials too and then power the entire setup with a 4 channel amplifier. You will definitely not find it lacking and while it may delay performance mods, your mind will be cleared of thinking about ICE so that you can focus completely on performance

Crossovers are ideally mounted somewhere where you can make adjustments easily so behind the door on the damping is the worst place. Also make sure it isn't on any bare metal since that will cause unwanted sound. Usually folks fit it beside the amp.
Old 4th March 2014, 13:09   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

I do know Saravanan and the work he's done. The work in Mi10's Fiesta for example was pure magic. He's done basic install in my Spark too. That's why it's all the more puzzling.

If you are in Chennai meet up with T-BHP folks, audition their setup and then perhaps take a call.
Old 4th March 2014, 13:12   #119
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry, but you have been officially taken for a royal ride dude

I would suggest you spend quality time on the ICE thread before you spend any more bucks on ICE.

Quote:
For the run in, the settings that Mr. Saravanan set was -
Bass : +3, Treble: -1 & FAD: F3
Most installers leave the crossover box tied to a plastic tag and secured inside the door panel. That itself is not advised as good amount of vibration passes through the doors every time its opened and shut with high chance of these crossover box coming loose and the need to secure them again. But pasting it on the door with just the damping sheet, that's really taking it to a different level.

Quote:
Thanks Kiku, the installer is one of the most recommended installers in Chennai, from our forum here. But when he stuck the cossover to the damping, though I still trust him, my confidence was dented.
Stage 1 should have been getting a good source. That is finding a good head unit and then installing the front comps. I am no ICE expert, but I believe this is the first basic step if you want to get proper ICE in your car.

Quote:
He damped the doors, as we had a plan of amplifying the setup and adding more powerful co-axials in the rear as part of Stage 2 install.
There is no such thing as run-in settings in the OE head unit dude.

Quote:
As for the run-in settings, it was set by the installer, after he auditioned the setup. settings are in my reply to Anachronix in the above quote.
Did you spend 12K on this? Can you give a break up on the stuff you bought and spent?

Under the seats or high up the kick panel where you legs dont reach would be better. All it needs is a place where there is not much vibration and it wont get wet. I have the crossover in my car mounted on the back of the rear seat.

Quote:
You can post this query in the ICE section and you should be able to get some expert guidance on how and where to begin.

Quote:
Old 4th March 2014, 14:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do install co-axials too and then power the entire setup with a 4 channel amplifier. You will definitely not find it lacking and while it may delay performance mods, your mind will be cleared of thinking about ICE so that you can focus completely on performance

Crossovers are ideally mounted somewhere where you can make adjustments easily so behind the door on the damping is the worst place.
Done, so crossover relocation and ICE tuning is getting back onto my high-pri list again then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I do know Saravanan and the work he's done. The work in Mi10's Fiesta for example was pure magic. He's done basic install in my Spark too. That's why it's all the more puzzling.
I have read a lot about his work too, his knowledge is not something one can easily question, but I certainly do feel that he could have done better to meet my expectations.

Quote:
I would suggest you spend quality time on the ICE thread before you spend any more bucks on ICE.
This disaster is after spending quite a lot of time only!

Quote:
Stage 1 should have been getting a good source. That is finding a good head unit and then installing the front comps. I am no ICE expert, but I believe this is the first basic step if you want to get proper ICE in your car.
Yes, Saravanan did tell me this, but I was ver reluctant to change the Stock HU for the stock looks. That is when he suggested this current setup.

Quote:
There is no such thing as run-in settings in the OE head unit dude.
Ok, now this makes me feel like an idiot for adhering to the run-in religiously.

Quote:
Did you spend 12K on this? Can you give a break up on the stuff you bought and spent?
I will have to look into the bills for exact amounts, but from my memory -

Kicker components - 6.5k
Dampmat damping - 4k
Waterguard spacers - 0.5k
Installation - 1k
Total was - 12,050 -/-

Quote:
I have the crossover in my car mounted on the back of the rear seat.
But isn't there a metal plate on the Fiesta?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks