Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 00:32   #916
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Report: Honda Amaze Petrol, Base version

Good insight Mukul, found it really helpful as I am also waiting for delivery of my E-MT(P) in Mumbai. Please tell us something about accessories that were on offer especially for base model. What are you planning for Music System, as base model doesn't have the stock ICE. Dealer here offered me the body coloured door handles and OVRMs (the stock black ones to be painted in body colour), experienced members please suggest if one should go for the (after)painting of door handles and OVRMs; are these as good as the Original door handles?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th May 2013 at 07:30.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:20   #917
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Saw the review in ACI. There is still no dead pedal. With my AT Brio I find that the left shoe rests above the area covered by the mat, so am forced to fix a small piece of polythene sheet in the offending area.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:49   #918
BHPian

Re: Initial Ownership Report: Honda Amaze Petrol, Base version

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
Dealer here offered me the body coloured door handles and OVRMs (the stock black ones to be painted in body colour), experienced members please suggest if one should go for the (after)painting of door handles and OVRMs; are these as good as the Original door handles?
These look as good as the original handles.
However the OVRMs offered in E MT are quite bland and do not blend with the car. Even if they do a good paint job it might not look that good. Better option is to change the ORVM to that of the S variant. This was one important reason I went with S MT variant, as such a change will cost around 5-7K.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:07   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post

These look as good as the original handles.
However the OVRMs offered in E MT are quite bland and do not blend with the car. Even if they do a good paint job it might not look that good. Better option is to change the ORVM to that of the S variant. This was one important reason I went with S MT variant, as such a change will cost around 5-7K.
Don't they come in body color on E-x variant? , Atleast this is what I was told by sales guy here in Delhi.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:21   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Don't they come in body color on E-x variant? , Atleast this is what I was told by sales guy here in Delhi.
Yes they do come in E-X, E-x and S ORVM are the same. But E-MT OVRM is in black and the design is very average. So better check out a painted one so that you get to know how exactly it looks or better go with the one in E-x/S variants.
Old 10th May 2013, 14:01   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post

Yes they do come in E-X, E-x and S ORVM are the same. But E-MT OVRM is in black and the design is very average. So better check out a painted one so that you get to know how exactly it looks or better go with the one in E-x/S variants.
And one more thing, you better get E and paint those ORVM and door handles, instead of getting ex, as ex is over 6l bracket and it attracts more road tax compared to e variant.
Here in Delhi, road tax for e is around 35K mark and for ex, it's around 50k.

So, you're better off with e and get those ORVM and handles painted for few thousand buck and save money.
Old 10th May 2013, 18:18   #922

I had gone to the Honda dealership here in Agra and saw the Amaze( didn't have time for a TD), the car seems fine and of course the boot is really well integrated and the legroom is better than the dzire/swift but then that's about it. As already discussed by most of TBHPians except these it lacks in almost everything when compared to its competitors in terms of interiors, features, engine NVH. And to sum it up i was not very pleased with it.
And Now i am stuck in a huge dillema as the AMAZEing honda had hit the desi roads, and thinking that it will eat into the market of dzire and also ofcourse affect its resale adversely I have fast forwarded my plans of selling my 3 years and 80k old dzire. The price that I am getting is 5 lakhs. But now am unable to figure out where to put my money ie whether to go for AMAZE, SAIL SEDAN or new Dzire (which will be almost repeating the car). Even i20 seems appealing whereas the new Verna is tooo expensive. Any suggestions guys? (P.S. I don't like cars which have too low seating as was in esteem/OHC wherein one feels as if your derriere is just about grazing the road.)
inder28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 20:04   #923
Senior - BHPian

Saw an amaze for the first time today. And being a new generation dZire owner myself, I can easily say that amaze is designed much more proportionally than the DZire and the boot does not end up abruptly at all. Being a sub 4-meter sedan, Honda designers have done an AMAZing job and visually, this car beats the DZire with a hefty margin.
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 16:32   #924
BHPian

Took a Test drive of the Honda Amaze diesel today and here`s my experience about the drive.I already own a Ford figo,and fiesta both 1.4tdci diesel engines.So my driving review is based on comparison with Ford cars.
Pros
1)The visual appearance is indeed AMAZing for a car under 4m.
2)The boot is really big for a 4m car and so is the interior space
3) dashboard layout is quite nice.

Cons
1)the front left side window was half open and when i closed the door one could hear rattling sound of the window and the door,opened the door and closed it 3 times and still the sound could be heard,even with the window fully closed one can see it vibrating when closing the door.
2)Big let down is the diesel engine noise in the cabin,one can feel the vibrations on the steering wheel the gear knob and the clutch pedal.Ford figo is very refined compared to the amaze.
3)even with the massive 99ps power you won`t be pushed back into your seat when you push the accelerator to its limit.
4)ride quality is very bad compared to Ford cars,Was rolling from one end to the other end even though the road was quite smooth with a small drainage cover here and there,even the rear passengers compared about the ride quality.
5) ac is a big let down when compared to Figo even when Honda boasts of heat cutting front shield,Figo ac cools down faster and is much more cooler than amaze
6)music system the sound quality is basic,nothing to talk about,

The point where Amaze excels is just the neat package under 4 m and the trusted honda brand.Being a Honda had expected sheer refinement in the Diesel motor,hope it will be corrected in the next generation Honda city
vineetg84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 18:05   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetg84 View Post
2)Big let down is the diesel engine noise in the cabin,one can feel the vibrations on the steering wheel the gear knob and the clutch pedal.Ford figo is very refined compared to the amaze.
3)even with the massive 99ps power you won`t be pushed back into your seat when you push the accelerator to its limit.
4)ride quality is very bad compared to Ford cars,Was rolling from one end to the other end even though the road was quite smooth with a small drainage cover here and there,even the rear passengers compared about the ride quality.
- Engine note is similar to some UVs when revved. Quite strangely if the rpm level is below 1800-2000 rpm, the noise levels are very much acceptable and good. Anything over that range the engine is loud. Not really a good thing when you are cruising at 100-110 kmph at around 2500 rpm and there is a constant boom from the engine. With Dzire and Sail one cannot tell if there is a diesel engine under the hood if you cruise at those speeds in top gear.

- Talking about driveability, the engine is superb in the city. Light clutch further aiding the cause. The engine doesnt like being pushed. 16 valve modern 1.5 litre common rail Honda engine. Still doesnt like revs!

- Ride quality is better than what it is in Brio. But dont compare it with the likes of Figo or Fiesta, they are even better than Honda City !
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 20:48   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took a Test drive of the Honda Amaze diesel today and here`s my experience about the drive.I already own a Ford figo,and fiesta both 1.4tdci diesel engines.So my driving review is based on comparison with Ford cars.
Pros
1)The visual appearance is indeed AMAZing for a car under 4m.
2)The boot is really big for a 4m car and so is the interior space
3) dashboard layout is quite nice.
You missed out a few.
Light clutch
Near zero turbo lag and drivability
Easiness in driving. Felt that the amaze is much easier to drive around thanks To light and ergonomic controls.

Quote:
Cons
Wrong expectations is what I would put that as. 100 PS doesn't push you back to the seat. It just means that you have availability of good torque over a larger rpm range. And amaze is quite peppy and easily the peppiest car in its class. Especially, compared to the figo, it feels leagues ahead in terms of power delivery.

Quote:
People who buy a Japanese car doesn't buy it for its ride quality. They just expect decent ride quality which I feel the Amaze does deliver.

Quote:
6)music system the sound quality is basic,nothing to talk about,
Just upgrade the speakers by spending 5k and you'll get more than decent sound quality.

Quote:
The point where Amaze excels is just the neat package under 4 m and the trusted honda brand.Being a Honda had expected sheer refinement in the Diesel motor,hope it will be corrected in the next generation Honda city
It's an aluminum engine and that seems top be the reason for the lack of refinement. But again, I've no complaints with their first attempt at diesel considering that they managed to deliver 100 PS power and 200 Nm torque with near zero turbo lag and an arai mileage of 25 kmpl !
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 21:24   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

You missed out a few.
Light clutch
Near zero turbo lag and drivability
Easiness in driving. Felt that the amaze is much easier to drive around thanks To light and ergonomic controls.
Light clutch is a real highlight of Amaze. Its as good as Petrol !
Drivability is great. But again its not too different with the likes of Figo and Micra/Sunny.
Numbers apart, Micra I felt has the most linear power delivery among all. Amaze pulls from 1200-1300rpm,Micra almost pulls from idle with linearity. Different cars, but just a comparo.
Steering is definitely on the heavier side.
Quote:
Wrong expectations is what I would put that as. 100 PS doesn't push you back to the seat. It just means that you have availability of good torque over a larger rpm range. And amaze is quite peppy and easily the peppiest car in its class. Especially, compared to the figo, it feels leagues ahead in terms of power delivery.
If a layman is asked to guess the horses, he wont say Amaze is 100PS. Its quite responsive but NOT fast unlike what numbers suggest. The engine is tuned for fuel efficiency and it shows. Its revs low too.

Quote:
It's an aluminum engine and that seems top be the reason for the lack of refinement. But again, I've no complaints with their first attempt at diesel considering that they managed to deliver 100 PS power and 200 Nm torque with near zero turbo lag and an arai mileage of 25 kmpl !
ARAI numbers are great. Engine is fine tuned for Indian driving conditions. I hope they can take care of the NVH in the near future.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 21:27   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

You missed out a few.
I completely agree with all you ve written. I guess our thirst can never be quenched and we tend to find flaws in everything but still honda has done a commendable job and its worth a thumbs up.
Old 12th May 2013, 08:45   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
I completely agree with all you ve written. I guess our thirst can never be quenched and we tend to find flaws in everything but still honda has done a commendable job and its worth a thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Light clutch is a real highlight of Amaze. Its as good as Petrol !
Drivability is great. But again its not too different with the likes of Figo and Micra/Sunny.
Numbers apart, Micra I felt has the most linear power delivery among all. Amaze pulls from 1200-1300rpm,Micra almost pulls from idle with linearity. Different cars, but just a comparo.
Steering is definitely on the heavier side.
I've a different opinion about it. On Drivability, this is my order.
Amaze > Micra/Renault > Etios > Figo > Fiat MJD
I was comparing with Figo, and there is a huge improvement in Amaze's driveability. With regards to Micra, I found the gear ratios too short for my liking ( especially with that 68 PS power, the shortness of the gear ratios felt more exaggerated ). Another bad aspect of the car is its unpredictable braking and road manners.

Quote:
If a layman is asked to guess the horses, he wont say Amaze is 100PS. Its quite responsive but NOT fast unlike what numbers suggest. The engine is tuned for fuel efficiency and it shows. Its revs low too.
  1. Again, 100 PS vs 68/75 PS doesn't mean more 'pulling', it means the torque is available over a larger rpm range. Doesn't go into 'out of breath' mode soon. Had Honda made the car sluggish in its initial rpms, and then gave all of that torque in one go, people would have told - "Wow, what a pull." But, that doesn't make the car faster, nor does it make it practical in Indian city driving conditions.
  2. In simple words, this is what the Amaze does - it reaches 100 kmph faster than any other car in its class. It has the least turbo lag than any other car in its class. It has the flattest torque curve in its class. It's the easiest car to drive around with its ultra light and short clutch and superb turning radius. It does all this with class leading ARAI mileage.
  3. Regarding high revving the engine, you simply don't need to rev the engine to be superior than other cars in the segment. When you can put other cars to dust by shifting before 4,000 why bother about revving. And turbo charged FGT diesel engines are boring to drive on high revvs. Shifting early is the way to go on these cars. Quoting from the official team-bhp review - "With a power-to-weight ratio that is superior to the VW Vento, the Amaze offers best-in-class performance on the open road. Straight line acceleration is peppy, with the engine feeling noticeably more muscular than the Dzire, Manza and other direct competitors. The Amaze is easily capable of keeping up with C2 segment sedans on the highway. The engine has solid grunt and overtaking fast vehicles is effortless. You don't have to worry about turbo lag catching you out in the middle of an overtaking manouveur either. This motor isn't as high-rpm friendly as the 1.3L MJD though. The i-DTEC revvs to a max of ~4,450 rpm. There's no point in taking the revvs that high, and it's best to upshift at 4,000 rpm tops."
Quote:
Engine is fine tuned for Indian driving conditions. I hope they can take care of the NVH in the near future.
+1. Honda has got it spot on as to what Indian Driving condition requires. The only remaining thing they need to correct is the NVH. Being an all aluminium engine, it will be having its limitations in this regard. Maybe, Honda will be able to compensate for that with better engine mount design and noise damping.

Last edited by amalji : 12th May 2013 at 09:14.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 11:06   #930

Hi Everyone !
This is my 1st post in the forum.
I have a specific question to all of you; I am planning to change my car(Santro XL), and going in for a company leased vehicle. The deciding factors are:
-My budget is not more than Rs 8.5 lakhs.
-Mainly city driving with once a month long drive totaling to ~1000km/month.
-Safety features to be there in my next vehicle.
-Maximum of 4 adults and a kid will travel at a time.
-Large boot space is not a major requirement for me.
Based on this, the options have narrowed down to :
1. Amaze VX-MT – Petrol
2. i20 Magna –Petrol
Am not a fan of the SWIFT design, and hence, SWIFT Dezire does not figure in my list
Am finding it difficult to decide due to the following reasons:
Both cars look really good to me from outside.
Have seen a lot of i20 on the roads, but Amaze gives a “novelty” feeling !
I really like the interiors including dashboard of i20, but the dashboard/interiors of Amaze are not very impressive to me.
I absolutely love the space (who doesn’t?) inside the Amaze- gives the feeling of a big car), but,i20 does not do that
Feature wise,i20 is definitely way ahead of Amaze, but, Amaze is after all a HONDA !
I have driven both the cars, and did not find much difference between the two. Although Amaze TD was a very short one.
I am not getting any loyalty bonus from Hyundai as the new vehicle will be in my company’s name
Lastly, the waiting period of Amaze is around 2 ½ months- a lot of time to wait for your new car to arrive, but is the wait worth it?
Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th May 2013 at 15:06. Reason: Please avoid using external text-editors to copy-paste text. Type the content directly, henceforth. Thanks. :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks