Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 19:18   #2371
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

So my second set of brake pads replaced after just 13 K kms of usage ! At 31 K kms , I have changed 2 sets of brake pads , 2 sets of airfilters , RHS rear shock absorber , driver seat rail ( this broke off while driving ) . I am also starting to hear fan belt noise at times in 3rd gear . Dunno what else to expect . The vibrating CRVM just cannot be rectified .

I wonder if any amaze owner will ever buy another Honda car after this experience !
speedsatya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 19:59   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
So my second set of brake pads replaced after just 13 K kms of usage ! At 31 K kms , I have changed 2 sets of brake pads , 2 sets of airfilters , RHS rear shock absorber , driver seat rail ( this broke off while driving ) . I am also starting to hear fan belt noise at times in 3rd gear . Dunno what else to expect . The vibrating CRVM just cannot be rectified .

I wonder if any amaze owner will ever buy another Honda car after this experience !
Can you check who is the OEM manufacturer of brake pads ?

Looks to me some sort of scam may be next time you should get the brake pad checked at an independent garage.

Airfilter strictly speaking is required to be changed only if the indicator is showing it else they should just blow the dust using compressed air and fit it back.
Old 28th November 2014, 20:08   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Can you check who is the OEM manufacturer of brake pads ?

Looks to me some sort of scam may be next time you should get the brake pad checked at an independent garage.

Airfilter strictly speaking is required to be changed only if the indicator is showing it else they should just blow the dust using compressed air and fit it back.
I will find out on the manufacturer for sure . But my brake pads had started making the grinding sound on braking . This was a clear indication of worn out pads or something stuck in between .

On airfilters , I heard a new story this time . It seems , Honda doesnt recommend blowing air into the filter . Its just a tap on the wall like this and install it back . I could see a noticable difference in FE over time and this gone back to previous 20+ kpl figures just by changing the filter .
Old 28th November 2014, 23:54   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will find out on the manufacturer for sure . But my brake pads had started making the grinding sound on braking . This was a clear indication of worn out pads or something stuck in between .
Next time if same thing happens ask them to easure pad thickness and show you. Grinding noise could be due to sand or dirt as well.

Quote:
On airfilters , I heard a new story this time . It seems , Honda doesnt recommend blowing air into the filter . Its just a tap on the wall like this and install it back . I could see a noticable difference in FE over time and this gone back to previous 20+ kpl figures just by changing the filter .
Again dealer level scam amaze has same paper air-filter as other cars ( at-least my petrol Amaze has) I see no reason Honda should recommend something special. In fact tap on wall is not recommended as it could tear the filter almost all A.S.S such as Maruti , Tata ,GM cleans with compressed air.
Old 29th November 2014, 07:26   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next time if same thing happens ask them to easure pad thickness and show you. Grinding noise could be due to sand or dirt as well.

Again dealer level scam amaze has same paper air-filter as other cars ( at-least my petrol Amaze has) I see no reason Honda should recommend something special. In fact tap on wall is not recommended as it could tear the filter almost all A.S.S such as Maruti , Tata ,GM cleans with compressed air.

The dealer was asking me to continue with the same air filter. I only asked for a change.
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:09   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is what Honda replies to my email asking them on brake pads wearing out at 10-13K km intervals !

On 02-Dec-2014, at 4:15 pm, Customer Relations <customer_relations@hondacarindia.com> wrote:

Dear Sir,

We are in receipt of your below communication to us.

With regard to your below mentioned concern, we would like to inform that brake pads are wear & tear items and their usage can not be termed in terms of km. However, we would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us which will be shared with our concerned deptt. for their reference.

Please let us know in case of any other assistance and assure you of our best services always.

Regards,

Customer Relationship Management
Honda Cars India Ltd., Greater Noida
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 18:01   #2377
Senior - BHPian

such a profound discovery .

In any case next time if you hear noise from brake pad take it to good independent mechanic first.

Quote:
This is what Honda replies to my email asking them on brake pads wearing out at 10-13K km intervals !

On 02-Dec-2014, at 4:15 pm, Customer Relations <customer_relations@hondacarindia.com> wrote:

Dear Sir,

With regard to your below mentioned concern, we would like to inform that brake pads are wear & tear items and their usage can not be termed in terms of km. However, we would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us which will be shared with our concerned deptt. for their reference.

Please let us know in case of any other assistance and assure you of our best services always.

Regards,

Old 7th December 2014, 19:53   #2378
BHPian

I have completed almost 13k since Dec'13 in my Amaze S-AT. I now have persistent back pain after doing long runs in this car. Got another friend to drive it from Mumbai to Pune and he complained of the same after reaching there. I drove other cars in the same period for long runs without any back issues. I have eliminated all other probable causes for my back pain and am sure its due to the car seat.
What can be done with the car seat to make it ergonomic and comfortable for long runs. I don't mind replacing the car seats with better ones if that's an option. Please help.
Old 7th December 2014, 21:01   #2379
Senior - BHPian

Did you try the basics of adjusting it for height and leg length? The other issue is a fixed headrest rather than one with a movable and contoured shape.

Sometimes seat covers seem to take away whatever ergonomic features are available in the amaze seat, so check that too
Old 8th December 2014, 13:20   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
I have completed almost 13k since Dec'13 in my Amaze S-AT. I now have persistent back pain after doing long runs in this car. Got another friend to drive it from Mumbai to Pune and he complained of the same after reaching there. I drove other cars in the same period for long runs without any back issues. I have eliminated all other probable causes for my back pain and am sure its due to the car seat.
What can be done with the car seat to make it ergonomic and comfortable for long runs. I don't mind replacing the car seats with better ones if that's an option. Please help.
Why not try a simple indigenous method- A small oval/square pillow behind your back.

You never know but it might be the relief you are looking for!!
Old 17th December 2014, 17:11   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Hardly six month old car and I face grease / lube related issues on the door handles and windows. Rear left passenger door is very stiff to open (grease seems to have dried up under it), and one of my windows makes a squeaking noise when it is raised up or down. Sigh - niggles like this manifesting themselves in a near new Honda.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:22   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dear Sir,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hardly six month old car and I face grease / lube related issues on the door handles and windows. Rear left passenger door is very stiff to open (grease seems to have dried up under it), and one of my windows makes a squeaking noise when it is raised up or down. Sigh - niggles like this manifesting themselves in a near new Honda.

Just couldnt take it anymore ! Honda once again replies saying there is nothing wrong with their brake pads and that this was a wear n tear issue !

Sold the car for 6.3L INR after 20 months of usage( more on this later) . If only Honda had invested some more time to iron out the niggles before using Indian customers as guinea pigs to test their car . The Honda brand had so much of goodwill because of the City and thats how most of us went and booked a diesel without even a proper TD. Now , I dont think I will ever buy a Honda car again in India nor would I recommend this brand to anyone here .

Listing down some of the issues I encountered repeatedly

1- Vibrating A pillars. This was seen right from day one. Dakshin Honda in Bangalore failed to resolve this inspite of me going to them at least 3 times. Finally Penninsular Honda in Mangalore solved this , but inserting rubber inserts in between. This is an issue seen in almost all cars

2- gaps in the airbag panel. Honda says nothing can be done about this ! Even Brios have the same gaps

3- vibrating centre RVM. My car has this issue since day one and even now it vibrates slightly at cruising speeds of 80-100 kph in top gear. Even Penninsular Honda cannot do much about this

4- broken seat rail. The driver seat in my car had a broken seat rail. This resulted in a shaking seat whenever on turns or on bad roads / braking. Took time for the part to arrive, changed at 18000 kms ! Dealer says this has been noticed in their TD car as well.

5- brake pads wearing out as early as 8K kms. Honda was replacing this free for cars coming for brake replacements before 15 K kms. Mine was replaced at 18K kms and I was charged for this

6- Brake discs needed skimming at 18 K kms. New pads resulted in vibrating brake pedal. Dealer says the pads need skimming!!! Second set of pads replaced at 31K kms

7- Rear suspension leaking at 13 K kms. Replaced under warranty. Now again at 27 K kms I see a difference in handling on fast turns. I have a doubt on the rear suspension again

8- Service intervals are every 10 K kms. I see a noticeable drop in FE which keeps dropping towards the end of this 10 K interval. For ex. Highway drives with limits of 3000 rpm have always been around 23-25 kpl. But this goes down to as low as 18 kpl under similar conditions at the end of this 10 K kms interval

9- pathetic headlights. I will be changing to Osram Night Breaker Unlimited 55/60 W soon.

10- Some component of the air intake ( not sure what it's called ) replaced under warranty within a few months of buying ( don't remember when ) guess this was a precautionary measure to prevent hydrolocking

11- backlit LED in the switches for the rear defogger has already conked off twice. It was replaced under warranty on the first occasion , but I was charged 1800 INR the next time.

12- Grrrr sound from the AC blower at speeds above 2. This is because of some paper or other foreign particles entering the AC mechanism through the glovebox !!!

13- The rear had developed a new creaking sound as if something was on the verge of breaking apart . The dealer once again says this is seen on many other Amaze as well

14- Seating position : Somehow something wasnt right about those seats . My backpain deteriorated so much that I was advised to stop driving at all . Those seats were just not comfortable at all !

15- Headlights : Pathetic non existent headlights ! So many times I was pushing the lever assuming it was on low beam !

The only good thing about this car was the FE . Again , the FE would go down after 6 K kms and it would be really down by close to 20-30% by the time you are in for the 10K service interval . Honda recommends a 20 K kms interval for air filter replacement . I realised , the FE would show a marginal improvement after the 10 K kms service , only to go really bad in another 5 K kms . Instead , changing the airfilter at the 10 K kms interval does help . I would recommend this to whoever plans to keep their cars for long . Airflilters cost just 4xx INR and you would recover this through the superb FE figures .

About the resale . None of the Honda dealers were willing to buy this car back . The max quote I got was for 5.5L INR !! The common answer I used to hear was " Sir , poor resale . Massive discounts now . New car readily available" .

After all they know their car so well .

Even with other used care dealers , I just struggled to find a good deal . And finally sold it off at 6.3L INR to True Value .

Last edited by speedsatya : 19th December 2014 at 14:26.
speedsatya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 14:33   #2383
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear that. Now that you have decided to move on - wishing you all the best.

Have been saying this (and have been receiving flak for it), but Honda India has to really pull up it's socks. Right now it is riding on the goodwill created by earlier generation City cars, but the drop in quality levels along with the lack of customer centric approach will eventually hurt them- bad. Amaze is falling to the bottom of the segment- be it sales, team-BHP polls etc. And they only have themselves to blame.

Honda really needs to provide an escalation channel for customers to interact with the company rather than dealers. As of now- you escalate against a dealer, all you get is a call center executive who redirects you back to the dealer again.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:54   #2384
Team-BHP Support

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal speedsatya. For a moment, it appeared as if a VAG owner was complaining about his car, not a Honda customer. Glad it is finally over for you.

Time to hunt for a new car I suppose? Lot of options out there. Good luck!

EDIT: Just saw the post on the Ciaz thread. Great choice there! Congrats and wishing you miles of trouble-free ownership ahead.

Quote:
And finally sold it off at 6.3L INR to True Value .
Did you sell it to Maruti True Value? Was it a hassle-free sale?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2014 at 15:00.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:13   #2385
Senior - BHPian

I don't see most of the issues, but I do feel the back pain from that [censored] seat. A rolled up towel behind my lower back seems to help. Need some support under my thighs as well. I am going to the guy that stitched my seat cover and get him to add foam inserts at the appropriate places, under the seat cover. That should help.

I also moved back the seat so my legs have freer play - I am six feet tall. Helps a lot.

The only thing I do see on and off so far is grease / beading type issues. And that squeaking window.

The AC has been quiet, and the engine / vibration etc are not much at all. It is a sweet driving experience so far.

I still haven't taken it on a highway trip (except down the smooth ECR to mahabs just 43 km, and that too only once) so I am not sure how it will behave after some torture test (read typical potholed state highways).

Before that, I have just given the trusted garage guy who is fixing a long scratch on the body (courtesy a speeding tata ace on a narrow road) instructions to fit a better horn (roots windtone, skoda type) and improved lights with a ceramic light holder.

Last edited by hserus : 19th December 2014 at 16:14. Reason: fix hyperlink

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks