Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 14:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beastie winks at Snow White & Red Riding Hood. My Tata Safari Storme EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yeah I guess you are right. The manual though mentions break-in limits in terms of speed in each gear, so I tend to use that as my shift point.

Which basically means that most times, unless I short shift, which is never in the first 2 gears, the shift is more often than not at 2500 rpm, with the 2nd gear usually spiking to just under 3000.

Do you guys do this 2000 rpm shifts even after break in? So does that mean that you go into the 3000 to 4000 rpm range only in 4th and 5th?

P.S. What do you mean by not "spooling the turbo" for the first 30 seconds? How do you know that is happening? Is there a particular rppm, sound, feel? Confused.
3000rpm is revving the Safari doc. The beauty of this car is the low rpm cruise, unlike a petrol high rpm cruise. Yes ideally 3000/4000 rpm is good for 4/5th gear to give you highway speeds.

If you open your windows and listen, especially when near walls or a tunnel, beyond 1700rpm you will feel a boost, hear a gentle turbo whoosh or whistle. It's your turbo spooling up into its zone. Quite addictive that sound.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 10:41   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
3000rpm is revving the Safari doc. The beauty of this car is the low rpm cruise, unlike a petrol high rpm cruise. Yes ideally 3000/4000 rpm is good for 4/5th gear to give you highway speeds.
Doc, please dont treat this like a petrol. This one will cruise at 2000 rpm, may be 2200, depending on your speed.

Remember, he who is strong will not (have to) show his strength !!
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doc, please dont treat this like a petrol. This one will cruise at 2000 rpm, may be 2200, depending on your speed.

Remember, he who is strong will not (have to) show his strength !!
Translation: Get into slow ponderous elephant mode in the city, and wait for the highway to stretch its legs.
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Safari owners of Pune, what speed do you normally take the sweeping curves on old Mumbai Pune highway or Nagar Road at?

At 110 there is no drama, contrary to all the tall COG talk, so thought I would ask.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

1500 kms 1st Service Checklist of Issues to be looked at:

1) Headlight focusing - I would like this to be looked at and done perfectly. I am not very happy, maybe because it is no longer factory setting as the right headlight assembly was replaced under warranty due to fogging/condensation. After that the bulb had fused, and the replacement bulb is not the same as the original factory one in the left side headlight which may also be a reason. I feel the headlights are not perfectly focused (double upper light cutout line on the right) and also the throw is not very far in high beam on the highway. The low beam also seems to be too close. The headlight is on " 0 " setting, and if I move to 1, 2, or 3, the headlight beams comes still closer - which I do not want. This would need to be checked at night to see the throw of light on the road, rather than just the wall test as in the manual.

2) Driver side power window - makes a squeaking noise as if the glass is rubbing against something inside the door when it is going up and down. As mentioned, once some black colored padding foam material was also dislodged and thrown out (its probably the door panel's inner sound damping material -which is also the rubbing culprit). Something is touching the glass on the inside, and has scratched the glass also, which is simply not acceptable in a brand new car. I sometimes also makes a sound just before closing completely, and does not slot in cleanly like the other side window.

3) Steering wheel - The power steering makes a rubbing sound when being turned from side to side. I have started noticing this recently. Also, I feel the steering column is very slightly to the left (some strain is felt in right shoulder when doing long drives). Is that possible?

4) Middle row seats - As pointed out to the ASS staff also earlier, the backrests of the 60 and 40 split seats do not align flush together and there is a almost 0.5 to 1 inch difference in the levels, which is very uncomfortable for the person resting his or her back there. Also, these bench seats when folded and tumbled against the front seats, do not lock all the way against the front seat, but in a position slightly away, which I would also like looked at.

5) Driver seat stains - This happened before delivery of the car to me, and in spite of using some solutions to clean the fabric, the stains are still very visible and look very shabby. Again, this is simply not acceptable in a brand new 13 lac car, but don't know what they are going to do now.

6) Brakes - The brakes do not seem to be as sensitive and sharp in their bite like before. Brakes should not be degrading in 1500 kms and I am reading reports of pre-mature wear of brake pads and replacements so I am concerned. I would like the brakes looked at and want them to be as sharp as before.

7) Hand Brake - The hand brake does not hold the car from rolling forward (or backward) on a slope. You have to really pull it very hard to hold the car from rolling. This is really not safe in a 2500 kilo car, and needs to be adjusted so that so much effort is not required, and normal pulling should be able to hold the car safely and securely in place. Bottom line - a lady should be able to exert enough pull to hold the car in place.

8) Outside smells - Even with the AC in re-circulate mode, and all windows rolled up, outside smells enter the cabin. If only the blower is put on, without the AC, an unpleasant smell comes from the vents (filter?). Thsi needs to be looked into and rectified. I know safety regulations state some outside air is supposed to mix with the in-cabin air even in re-circulate mode, but maybe this can be done without outside odors (diesel fumes, garbage, riverside, mumbai crrekside chemical smell, etc.) coming inside?

9) AC blower air volume/cold temeperature - 3rd row occupants find the volume of air from overhead vents not adequate in 1 and 2, and sometimes even 3. Also, it takes some time for that part to get cold. I have spoken about this before as well to the ASS people, and I would want some AC expert techical person to look at it, because the ASS guys have always said it is perfect and normal compared to the other Stormes. I am quite disappointed with this feature as I have always heard that the Safari AC is a chiller, but frankly, my 8 year old Baleno AC is far better than the one in my Storme - both in terms of volume of air thrown out in each speed (as well as much more silently) and the speed of cooling to really cold temeperatures.

10) Would like to add the issue of the ever so slight side to side "wandering" as well.

11) Need to also ask them to drain the wiper wash reservoir of the ASS hard water, so that I can then fill it with soft water from home along with the anti-haze detergent solution mix.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:36   #66
BHPian

While reading your post, I felt as if I am writing it. I completely agree with you in the middle row seat being uncomfortable, brakes becoming uninspiring, outside odours coming in and AC blower speed and cooling from the roof AC is not adequate for the 2 and 3rd row. I have personally taken my car to the service centre many times for this but don't think any resolution is possible. Not only is the air volume very low even in the top speed, it sucks air from the front which causes it to make a lot of suction noise specially from the right side. Let me know if you are able to resolve some flog your points.
storme'd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari owners of Pune, what speed do you normally take the sweeping curves on old Mumbai Pune highway or Nagar Road at?

At 110 there is no drama, contrary to all the tall COG talk, so thought I would ask.
Between 80 - 90 KMPH Safe and Sturdy. You never know who's around the corner
Old 7th May 2013, 15:06   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) Steering wheel - The power steering makes a rubbing sound when being turned from side to side. I have started noticing this recently. Also, I feel the steering column is very slightly to the left (some strain is felt in right shoulder when doing long drives). Is that possible?
Check wheel alignment. Typically happens if W/A is off towards one side - you will then need to pull the steering wheel in the opp direction, and hence the pain.

Quote:
Middle row seats - As pointed out to the ASS staff also earlier, the backrests of the 60 and 40 split seats do not align flush together and there is a almost 0.5 to 1 inch difference in the levels, which is very uncomfortable for the person resting his or her back there.
Havent seen this, hence pls get the locking mechanism checked.

Quote:
Hand Brake - The hand brake does not hold the car from rolling forward (or backward) on a slope. You have to really pull it very hard to hold the car from rolling.
Yes, noticed this. Will be getting the rear brakes checked.

Quote:
10) Would like to add the issue of the ever so slight side to side "wandering" as well.
Check wheel alignment.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 23:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

What a bummer man. Was looking forward to getting Beastie back after her 1st service. Concorde kept the truck for 3 days. Tata Motors CSM also looking personally into the issues.

But the truck comes back and before I can check all the issues and whether they have been resolved, I discover a much more worrying new one.

The steering moves all the way to stop full rotation like before on the right.

On the left though it stops short. And when trying to take a tight left turn out of and into the gates into my bungalow, I discover the HUGE turning radius (almost going into half the road in line with oncoming traffic).

Have sent the truck back with the same driver and I really hope its a minor thing.

They say they never touched the steeringor did anything to it. So what could have hapopened.

They only did wheel alignment, camber, something called toe in toe out etc. Any connection?

You can distinctly see the wheels hardly turning into the well on full left turn.
Old 11th May 2013, 13:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Update: The toe in and toe out stop nut was wrongly adjusted one thread which revented the steering from doing a full 1.5 revolutions to the left.

Because of the wheel and suspension component hitting the short stop, that nut also got damaged and was replaced.

Waiting for Beastie to come back.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 15:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: The toe in and toe out stop nut was wrongly adjusted one thread which revented the steering from doing a full 1.5 revolutions to the left.

Because of the wheel and suspension component hitting the short stop, that nut also got damaged and was replaced.

Waiting for Beastie to come back.
Whats happening

Did you get the gaadi back or not ?
Old 16th May 2013, 13:25   #72
BHPian

[quote=ebonho;3115021]1500 kms 1st Service Checklist of Issues to be looked at:

1) Headlight focusing - I would like this to be looked at and done perfectly. I am not very happy, maybe because it is no longer factory setting as the right headlight assembly was replaced under warranty due to fogging/condensation. After that the bulb had fused, and the replacement bulb is not the same as the original factory one in the left side headlight which may also be a reason. I feel the headlights are not perfectly focused (double upper light cutout line on the right) and also the throw is not very far in high beam on the highway. The low beam also seems to be too close. The headlight is on " 0 " setting, and if I move to 1, 2, or 3, the headlight beams comes still closer - which I do not want. This would need to be checked at night to see the throw of light on the road, rather than just the wall test as in the manual.

7) Hand Brake - The hand brake does not hold the car from rolling forward (or backward) on a slope. You have to really pull it very hard to hold the car from rolling. This is really not safe in a 2500 kilo car, and needs to be adjusted so that so much effort is not required, and normal pulling should be able to hold the car safely and securely in place. Bottom line - a lady should be able to exert enough pull to hold the car in place.

8) Outside smells - Even with the AC in re-circulate mode, and all windows rolled up, outside smells enter the cabin. If only the blower is put on, without the AC, an unpleasant smell comes from the vents (filter?). Thsi needs to be looked into and rectified. I know safety regulations state some outside air is supposed to mix with the in-cabin air even in re-circulate mode, but maybe this can be done without outside odors (diesel fumes, garbage, riverside, mumbai crrekside chemical smell, etc.) coming inside?

9) AC blower air volume/cold temeperature - 3rd row occupants find the volume of air from overhead vents not adequate in 1 and 2, and sometimes even 3. Also, it takes some time for that part to get cold. I have spoken about this before as well to the ASS people, and I would want some AC expert techical person to look at it, because the ASS guys have always said it is perfect and normal compared to the other Stormes. I am quite disappointed with this feature as I have always heard that the Safari AC is a chiller, but frankly, my 8 year old Baleno AC is far better than the one in my Storme - both in terms of volume of air thrown out in each speed (as well as much more silently) and the speed of cooling to really cold temeperatures.

Hi everyone, I completely agree with the above quoted problems. Even I am facing the same with my 6k km rum storme. My car is also at the dealership for the past 2 days for the ac, handbrake problem. My headlight is getting changed under warranty.
I believe this is because of the stupid attitude of the dealers, who do not pay attention during services.
Old 16th May 2013, 17:19   #73
BHPian

@stormerider what was the issue with your AC as you mentioned that your car is at the workshop. Also, what's wrong with the headlight? Thanks.
My roof AC is making a lot of squeaking sounds but only when it is switched on and the car goes over bumps. Can someone please give me an idea of what could be wrong.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:47   #74
BHPian

Just received my car back, with some funny explanations.
1. Headlight changed under warranty because of frosting.
2. Gear lever vibrations and noise are like this in every other storme?!?
3. Ac had two problems. Foul smell creeping in the cabin with recirculation switched on. They said it will be there as in every other storme?!?
4. Ac compressor used to cut off without cooling the cabin and switch on, alternating every minute. This was really obvious as there was a click sound and a slight jerk. They have fixed it. Will check it during the day tomorrow.
5. Hand brake is still loose.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Was out of the country for a week. Just came back yesterday and drove my freshly serviced Storme today morning to office.

The A/c feels better, colder. They have adjusted the valved inside which was slightly open - due to that the outside smells and the air volume issues would be solved per them. The AC filters were also thoroughly cleaned.

The truck's pickup is markedly improved. Is leaping forward (well, to the extent that a 2.5 ton metal monster can "leap" .....).

The brakes also feel better. That's all I could make out from all of the other issues I had reported earlier.

The steering was re-adjusted and is now centered and moving equally on both sides.

The headlights were misaligned (the right one having been replaced for condensation) and were adjusted and properly focused. Yet to drive at night so will check that at the time.

The rear seats were replaced in warranty (entire bench) to solved the issue of the misaligned seat backs and the lock not holding the seat in place when folded.

Got a taste of what most Tata Safari guys complain about with regard to servicing.

The truck goes in for some issues, and comes back with new ones.

Then you send the truck back, and the new issues are solved, and yet some other one comes to the fore.

For example, after sending the truck back for the steering issue, with no words minced as to how unhappy and displeased I was, and promises from the other end to "personally" look into the vehicle this time and how everything would be ok - I receive the truck back just before I am to fly out.

Take the truck out for a short spin just to check the steering. The steering seems ok now.

But the handle of the right hand side driver door (which had been worked on for the power window mechanism etc.) is loose and can clearly be moved by my hand.

Frustrated I call up the Tata guy and let him know.

The carpets are also filthy and have black marks of the shoes of the mechanics all over.

Sigh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks