Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 09:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I have been following the tyre rotation policy at every 10K kms religiously & have never faced this problem even once in the last 1.2 lac kms.
How do you decide on tyre rotation at 10K? Is that the manufacturers recommendation? If so, what is the fundamental thinking underlying the recommendation? Any ideas, Autoindian? I rotate every 5K because that's the service interval and acts as a natural trigger.
Old 11th December 2012, 10:21   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
How do you decide on tyre rotation at 10K? Is that the manufacturers recommendation? If so, what is the fundamental thinking underlying the recommendation? Any ideas, Autoindian? I rotate every 5K because that's the service interval and acts as a natural trigger.
You are absolutely right Heavy Horse, the service interval acts as natural trigger. In my case though the service intervals are @ 5K kms, I followed this only till the time the vehicle was under warranty (first the company warranty & then the extended one). Once out of the warranty, I stuck to the 10K (oil change) service intervals. Fortunately my car manual recommends the tyre rotation @ 10K intervals. So I too get the tyres rotated during the 10K service now. However I make sure that even the spare tyre is brought in rotation.

Edit: Your frequency of tyre rotation at 5K kms is also fine. This would result in more uniform wear of all the tyres

A snap shot from my car's Manual
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-tyre-rotation-frequency.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 11th December 2012 at 10:26.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 21:52   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Would be grateful if you can post pictures of the music system of W6 and the fabric seats ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
debuda,
I second that request. W6 are almost never available in any showrooms other than the ones those are in queue for immediate delivery. So, its very difficult to find out how the infotainment systems looks like, what information it display etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
As some one brought out earlier, would like to see pics of your monochrome display.
I'm posting a few pics of my Silver W6 as requested by you guys.

The front seats ('premium fabric', unlike leather upholstery of W8).
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg

Second row seats.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-3.jpg

Steel wheels with plastic wheel covers, unlike alloy wheels of W8.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-4.jpg

AC controls -- identical to W8.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-5.jpg

Music system controls -- almost identical to W8. The W8 system can additionally play DVD movies on the central colour display.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-6.jpg

Monochrome display showing AC status, outside temperature, time, mobile phone signal and music system status. When there is an incoming call, the display shows the caller details. Sorry for the hazy picture. BTW, reflection of my camera can be seen on the screen.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-7.jpg

Fuel information.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-8.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats debuda on your wonderful sojourn. Glad to see XUV scoring high marks all through the journey.

Just one thing - Did you get the second gear hard shifting rectified in your first. What was the cause.
@Arup Misra -- Gear shifting cables were adjusted during the recent First Service as I reported on this thread. The second gear engagement seems to be marginally easier now but I haven't driven my car sufficiently to come to any definitive conclusion.

Waiting for my next long drive (likely to be towards the hills of Sikkim during the New Year) to properly test the gear shifting issue.
debuda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 10:03   #79
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the regular up-dates & insights to your W6. Given a thought to alloy-wheels? It would be a good idea to put them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Waiting for my next long drive (likely to be towards the hills of Sikkim during the New Year) to properly test the gear shifting issue.
If the planned itinerary is via Purnea, please do ping me. Maybe we can meet up
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 11:42   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks for the regular up-dates & insights to your W6. Given a thought to alloy-wheels? It would be a good idea to put them on.

If the planned itinerary is via Purnea, please do ping me. Maybe we can meet up
1) Alloy wheels : Firstly, I have very little interest in alloy wheels as a decorative accessory. Secondly, regarding the benefits of lower weight of alloys below the suspension (unsprung weight), I think cost of alloys far exceed benefits with my kind of driving. Thirdly, I have greater peace of mind with my strong steel wheels on the horribly broken and potholed roads of Jharkhand. I have heard many horror stories of alloys cracking / breaking / bending on bad roads, especially in heavier cars like SUV's.

2) Drive to Sikkim : The Darjeeling Hills, Sikkim and Bhutan are my favourite 'hill destinations' as I'm based in Eastern India. Usually, I drive to Siliguri via Purulia, Bankura, Panagarh, Ilam Bazar, Moregram, Malda and Dalkhola. But my last experience (drove to Bhutan a few months ago) on this stretch was not very good -- the roads between Panagarh (Darjeeling More) and Moregram were potholed and the NH34 from Moregram to Dalkhola had too much work-in-progress due to 4-laning.

So this time I'm seriously thinking of driving through Purnea which I've never done before. I would definitely like to talk to you and take your advice in this regard. It would be wonderful to meet a fellow TBHPian. Kindly PM me your contact numbers.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 22:42   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Alloy wheels : Firstly, I have very little interest in alloy wheels as a decorative accessory. Secondly, regarding the benefits of lower weight of alloys below the suspension (unsprung weight), I think cost of alloys far exceed benefits with my kind of driving. Thirdly, I have greater peace of mind with my strong steel wheels on the horribly broken and potholed roads of Jharkhand. I have heard many horror stories of alloys cracking / breaking / bending on bad roads, especially in heavier cars like SUV's.
Most SUV's (top end at least) come shod with alloys as OE. Alloy of a good repute (brand) are much stronger than normal steel wheels. Replacing a steel wheel in case of a shunt shall be cheaper* (else under normal driving, no attention shall be required IMO) though it is quite hard to bend/crack/break an alloy if you are self driven & have regard for your Car

Though I asked purely for aesthetic purpose

Quote:
Kindly PM me your contact numbers.
Sent.

* there is insurance coverage as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 09:52   #82
BHPian

Debuda.
Have been following all your threads of the XUV.
Must acknowledge the life in all your years, rather than all the years of your life, Sir..Salute' to your excellent efforts in putting up so many meaningful posts for our knowledge and the minute details of the XUV you have gone into.
Thanks for sharing all your experiances and travels with the XUV.
princey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 21:51   #83
Senior - BHPian

Just want to confirm about the monochrome display. Is there any difference in the type of display except the colour/monochrome factor?
Old 17th December 2012, 07:54   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Just want to confirm about the monochrome display. Is there any difference in the type of display except the colour/monochrome factor?
AFAIK, apart from the colour screen the differences are :
  1. W8 display is a touchscreen, W6 display isn't.
  2. W8 display also shows GPS navigation information (maps from MapMyIndia).
  3. W8 display can be hooked to a rear-view camera (optional accessory).
  4. You can play DVD movies on the W8 display.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 21:35   #85
BHPian

Hi Dada,

I’ve been closely watching your thread for long, XUV is always been my dream vehicle since the time it is launched. Finally, booked one W8 and will be getting the same in 2 weeks. Still confused between Silver and Purple, entire family is against Purple as it is very dark and will get dirty soon…. But I simply love that color, XUV looks cool on Purple… I might settle with Silver, don’t want to disappoint my parents 

After Scorpio and Xylo [still owns that and just covered 80K, thank God, no breakdowns till now] now its XUV’s turn. Mahindra always listen to customers feedback compared to any other [IMHO] auto manufacturer.

Dada, thanks for your detailed write up it really helps people like me to know more about the vehicle that I will be keeping for some good years.

S
CrazyStuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 23:39   #86
BHPian

Hi Debuda

I have been an avid follower of your posts on the forum (even before my membership was approved) and now that i am a member i want to let you know that it feels great to have a fellow enthusiast from Jamshedpur. In fact your thread name (@ Jamshedpur)was what attracted me in the first place. Keep the JH05 flag flying high!
Rajeev1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 15:10   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I'm posting a few pics of my Silver W6 as requested by you guys.
Debuda,
Thank you very much for the pix. I have almost made the decision of buying W6, just waiting for the year to roll over before I book it.
forbhaskarm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 08:40   #88
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulation for the silver W6 !!

Thats a fantastic report Debuda. Brilliant insight and a very detailed review. The XUV5OO is such an awesome offering from Mahindra. Hope they sort out the small niggles soon. Going by the number of XUV's in the roads these days, no wonder that Mahindra indeed has played all its cards really well.

Wishing you all the very best with your trip to Sikkim for the New Year. I am based in Ranchi now and would love to meet you sometime whenever I will be in Jamshedpur. Congratulations once again.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 06:53   #89
BHPian

ODO : 5400 KM; Replacement of Gear Shifter & Selector Cable Assy under warranty

As I reported earlier on this thread, I have been facing some difficulty in engaging 2nd gear, especially while shifting down. During the recent First Service, the cables were adjusted but the problem continued to be the same as before.

I again took up the matter with the local M&M service center and they replaced the Gear Shifter & Selector Cable Assy under warranty. They had informed me earlier that 2 other XUVs had a similar problem which got rectified after replacing the cables.

Now my 2nd gear engagement seems somewhat easier but not as smooth as I would like it to be. I shall check it more thoroughly during my next long drive.

The gear Selector and Shifter cables come as a set.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-1.jpg

The gear box ends of the 2 cables (with shiny protective sheaths). The black pipe passing horizontally over the cables is the clutch hydraulic pipe.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg

The gear-shift lever end of the 2 cables.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-3.jpg

The Amaron battery uses an innovative design for its 2 cell-covers. Each one covers 3 cells and is push fitted.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-4.jpg

I would have preferred the conventional screw-type (threaded) individual caps for each cell. Look at the dust that has accumulated under the cell-cover. If one is not very careful, some of this dust can easily fall into the cells during maintenance.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-5.jpg

I took pains to personally clean the dust.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-6.jpg

My RM Ramandeep Kaur is very happy -- she just got engaged to an eligible sardar from Toronto. Here she is showing off her engagement ring. And in case you didn't notice, XUV-trained mechanic Abhay is working on my gear cables.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-7.jpg

A close-up of my RM's beautiful engagement ring.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-8.jpg
debuda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 07:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Your thread is moving on like a novel with those marvelous way of presenting. Add to it the related tid bits like your RM's engagement ring make it perfect to the Tee. Keep writing, we are waiting.
Apart from that, how is the gear shift now? More than the cables the selector replacement would have helped, is it not?
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed