Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2015, 09:04   #256
BHPian

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
Debuda, Long time since received any updates from you. I for one am missing your interesting and well scripted posts. Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards
Thank you for your kind words. As they say, "no news is good news"! Though my XUV is running much more since relocating to Kolkata from Jamshedpur 5 months ago, its performance continues to be totally satisfactory and trouble-free.

The only slight irritant is that there are a couple of minor noises coming apparently from the doors / dashboard that I'm unable to pinpoint. But I can live with that.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 20:19   #257
BHPian

Debuda,
Booked my W8 Satin White Cheetah yesterday. Will take a month for delivery. Just wanted to thank you for your posts which were instrumental in making my decision.
Regards
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:41   #258
vdm
BHPian

There has been no update from you for some time now. Hope the xuv has been running without any problems. Would be looking foward for your posts.
vdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 22:43   #259
BHPian

Debuda/ All
Have any of you faced the issue of turbo charger not working to its full extent and in some cases not triggering turbo at all? My 2013 w6 has done 34000 kms and I face it especially on highways. And it corrects itself after a few days of city driving. Any suggestions? I am still in 3 year warranty.
Regards
Pramod
pramod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 00:52   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
There has been no update from you for some time now. Hope the xuv has been running without any problems. Would be looking foward for your posts.
Thanks. After I relocated to Calcutta from Jamshedpur 8 months ago, my XUV is running much more. But there have been no issues worth reporting.

I recently completed 30,000 km and got the 30K service done at Royal Motors, Kolkata. The labour cost was Rs 2138 and 2 no.s HVAC air filters cost Rs 1050 (total expenses Rs 3188). They were insisting on replacing the engine air filter also, but I pointed out that as per the official maintenance schedule it is supposed to be changed at 40,000 km. Since there are no issues with engine performance or fuel consumption, I did not get the air filter changed prematurely.

Royal Motors claimed that it was mandatory to change the HVAC air filters (2 no.s), so I had them replaced. Subsequently, when I examined my original HVAC air filters (which were returned to me), I found that they were of a plastic mesh type (as used in home air-conditioners) which could easily be cleaned by a water spray and reused almost indefinitely. The RM told me that the new air filters were of a different type, but I did not see them personally as I was not physically present when they were installed.

Usually, I like to closely monitor whatever is being done to my car during service. During this 30K service too I was keeping an eye and ensured that brakes were properly inspected and tyres were correctly rotated (5-tyre rotation). Thereafter, I got drawn into a technical discussion in the customer lounge where a XUV W8 owner was telling the regional service manager (who had come to Royal Motors specifically to meet this customer) that his suspension was 'very bad and noisy' and he continued to remain highly dissatisfied with it despite several attempts by Royal Motors to solve the problem (both his front strut assemblies had been replaced FOC under warranty).

This XUV W8 was just over a year old and hadn't clocked too many miles either. Since the owner had been complaining repeatedly (despite the front struts replacement) about his suspension, the regional service manager accompanied by one of his assistants (a young lady with a degree in automobile engineering, and technically quite competent) was visiting Royal Motors to personally study the problem. They were going to take this W8 for a drive on bad roads and since I had got drawn into this discussion, they requested me to come along for the drive to which I readily agreed.

During the trials, apart from the Royal Motors mechanic, I too drove the W8 on some bad stretches. After the trials, the views of the mechanic were the same as mine -- there was nothing apparently wrong with the suspension! I informed the W8 owner that "XUV suspensions are like this only" and the service manager heaved a sigh of relief after receiving my independent and unbiased opinion. The owner too felt reassured that his suspension is no worse than other XUV suspensions. I advised the owner, who happened to be a rich merchant navy chief engineer, that to get a 'really good suspension' he could buy a SUV with an automatic road-sensing active suspension by shelling out close to a crore!

In the bargain, I missed out on overseeing the service of my own W6. When I came back after the trials of the W8, I was told by the RM that my car was ready. I asked him whether everything had been done as per the schedule and he answered in the affirmative. I specifically asked him whether the diagnostic laptop had been connected to my XUV and the 'service due' reminder had been cancelled, he said he had ensured it personally.

Subsequently, after returning home, I observed that the 'service due' reminder was coming! The RM had told me a lie. Furthermore, one of my wheel caps came off and was lost during my drive home from the workshop. Obviously, it had not been reinstalled properly by the workshop during the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Debuda/ All
Have any of you faced the issue of turbo charger not working to its full extent and in some cases not triggering turbo at all? My 2013 w6 has done 34000 kms and I face it especially on highways. And it corrects itself after a few days of city driving. Any suggestions? I am still in 3 year warranty.
Regards
Pramod
I have never faced any issue with my turbo. But hearing of turbo problems from other XUV owners does worry me. My 3 year warranty will expire in 3 months. I haven't bought the extended warranty yet but I think I should!
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 22:07   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
ODO : 18,010 KM; First real niggle encountered
Today, my silver box was changed for the second time and both the problems got rectified. When I asked the Nippon technician about the role of the silver box in HVAC indication and reverse parking system, he was unable to clarify.
Today Silver Box in my W8 was replaced. Now, reverse camera and GPS are not working.

I noticed my saved locations in Navigator have not got reset. Now I doubt if they really replaced silverbox or just done a software refresh and returned the car. Could someone confirm if Navigator will be reset when silverbox is replaced?
fiesta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 00:01   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. After I relocated to Calcutta from Jamshedpur 8 months ago, my XUV is running much more. But there have been no issues worth reporting.
Dubuda, hope your XUV is performing excellently. Please update us.

One Question - Would you recommend W6 after using it for 3 years or you feel missed out on W8 features at times ?
Old 18th September 2015, 09:31   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Dubuda, hope your XUV is performing excellently. Please update us.

One Question - Would you recommend W6 after using it for 3 years or you feel missed out on W8 features at times ?
My XUV-W6 continues to provide trouble-free service. It's almost 3 years old and has clocked 31,000 KM. I recently purchased (online, at the mahindrawithyouhamesha site) 4th & 5th year extended warranty for Rs 22,800.

Frankly, I am quite satisfied with the features offered by W6. Cosmetic enhancements in W8 like alloy wheels or leather upholstery don't mean much to me. With my style of driving, I wonder whether Electronic Stability Program would really have added any value. But yes, things like ESP, hill-descent and hill-hold are good to have and may come in handy once in a blue moon. The main question is whether one feels it worthwhile to spend additional lakhs for such gizmos.

The built-in GPS and additional airbags in W8 are certainly desirable features.

There is no end to man's 'desire'. If one has unlimited money, most desires can be fulfilled. But most of us learn to fulfill our needs and desires by balancing costs against benefits. The W6, IMHO, gives greater value for money than the W8.
debuda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 19:43   #264
BHPian

Debuda sir,

Can you please update us with the XUV's condition. it has been a while since you posted.

Could you update us with the services done, Different jobs carried out on the car, any part failure, replacement or upgrades.
Old 18th October 2016, 11:45   #265

Hi all,
On a related note , I had a query/ possible point of discussion. I have been plagued by repeated oil leakages from my XUV 500 engine. Had the oil seals replaced and it seemed to stop. But whenever I did long drives upward of 200 km at highway speeds, the leak would re appear. Ie I would notice an oil puddle next morning. This time around I asked the service guys to check the pcv system as I have read that at high rpm s the crankcase pressures build up and if not managed properly (by the pcv/breather ) can be a main cause to such repeated oil seal failures. So the replaced the pcv ( or so I was told and sadly I did not check well) again the engine held under normal conditions. But a few days back after a drive from Jaipur to Delhi. I found a huge pool of oil under the engine. And it was huge, never seen anything like it. Almost a quart had leaked overnight . When I inspected the service bill closely I found to my disbelief that they had replaced the EGR VACUUM modulator. There was nothing wrong with it in the first place!
Anyways now my question to all my learned fellow BHPians is this.. do you think it could be pcv that is acting up ? Also I have noticed a knocking sound at certain higher rpm s that sounds similar to the sound you hear when you have shifted to higher gear before the recommended speed. And I believe it is the same time when I can expect to see oil drip if I stop and take a look. So the second question is that do you think it is possible for the engine to make this kind of noise due to buildup of crankcase pressure which is resulting due to clogged / non working pcv or blocked breather tubes?
Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:00   #266
BHPian

38,800 KM -- First significant 'problem' in my 4 year old W6

Recently, I drove from Kolkata to the Darjeeling hills and back with my family. While climbing steep gradients in the hills, I felt that my XUV lacked power. Where 2nd gear should have sufficed, I had to engage 1st.

Initially, I did not take this problem seriously. I normally drive slowly on hill roads and the problem of reduced power did not appear very acute as long as I was driving around in the hills. But when I descended to the plains of Siliguri on our return leg and attempted to drive faster, I found that the engine's pick up had become very sluggish. It was difficult to cross 80 kmph and after a lot of huffing and puffing the maximum speed my XUV could attain on a good straight stretch was 90 KMPH!

Fortunately, the car was still drivable and we could return safely to Kolkata. But it was a frustrating drive because it was really difficult to overtake any vehicle on the highway, so poor was the pick up. Also, every time we had to slow down, it would take a long time to pick up speed again.

There was no warning light and that gave me hope that the underlying problem might not be very serious.

After returning to Kolkata I took my XUV to Royal Motors (M&M dealer / workshop) and my air filter was found badly choked. The XUV air filter is a gel/foam type which cannot be cleaned and so my air filter element was replaced.

After the filter replacement I have driven only inside the city and my XUV feels as peppy as it used to be. I intend taking it to a highway shortly and check out performance at higher speeds.

The air filter element costs about Rs 1000. As per the maintenance schedule it is supposed to be replaced after 40,000 KM and my XUV is almost there.

Last edited by debuda : 2nd November 2016 at 22:01.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 22:42   #267
BHPian

40,000 KM service

Recently, I drove from Kolkata to Jamshedpur and spent a few days there. As my XUV had clocked almost 40K, I got the 40K service done at Utkal Automobiles, Jamshedpur.

Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-img_20161208_104736_processed.jpg

No problems were found during the service. Brake pads and discs are in pretty good shape because my driving style involves minimal use of brakes.

Engine oil (6 litres of Maximile Feo), oil filter and fuel filter were changed. Air filter was not changed because it had been replaced recently. AC filters were also not changed as they were quite clean.

Total expenses were Rs 6,500 (including Rs 2,576 labour cost for 40K service).

Let me also share with you the present status of the Kolkata - Jamshedpur highway (via Kharagpur and Bahragora). I have been driving on this stretch regularly for the last 16 years and and I am happy to report that right now it is in quite a good condition (probably the best in the last 7-8 years).

The stretch from Kolkata to Kharagpur is superb, being a part of the Golden Quadrilateral (6-laned, tolled). From Kharagpur to Bahragora (2-lane) is very good. From Bahragora to Jamshedpur (2-lane) is also very good except the last 30 km near Jamshedpur. This 30 km stretch is potholed and a bit rough but still not too bad -- one can easily do 50-70 kmph.

It is really encouraging to see lots of 4-laning work in progress on the Bahragora - Jamshedpur (NH-33) stretch. I think this 4-laning work should complete in the next 2 years.
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 11:35   #268
BHPian

40,900 km - First window winder failure after 4 years

I never had any issues with my XUV windows during the last 4 years. But a few days back my RHS front (driver side) window winder mechanism packed up. The window glass was in partially open position and so it was a security issue that needed to be fixed ASAP.

I visited Royal Motors in Kolkata and they found that the motor had burnt out. They changed the entire winding mechanism completely free of cost under Shield (extended warranty).
Old 16th March 2017, 16:29   #269
hps

Quote:
40,000 KM service

No problems were found during the service. Brake pads and discs are in pretty good shape because my driving style involves minimal use of brakes.
Sir,
I remember you got a new set of pads at 20k. So effectively the currents pads have run only 20k since.

But, what I wanted to ask was what is the state of the brake sensor wires that where repaired during 20k service.

My XUV has done 41K, there is some grinding noise from the brakes at times. Will it be wise to wait for the brake wear sensor light to come up before replacing the pads?
hps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 17:51   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps View Post
Sir,
I remember you got a new set of pads at 20k. So effectively the currents pads have run only 20k since.

But, what I wanted to ask was what is the state of the brake sensor wires that where repaired during 20k service.

My XUV has done 41K, there is some grinding noise from the brakes at times. Will it be wise to wait for the brake wear sensor light to come up before replacing the pads?
During every service I make it a point to personally inspect the brake pad wear sensor wires since they had snapped earlier. I found them intact during the 40K service.

If your braking efficiency is undiminished, I would recommend continuing with the brake pads in spite of the grinding noise. Your brake pads must have been physically examined during the recent 40K service. Physical examination is important (especially in the event of abnormal noise) because the sensor wires may break and may not give early warning of pad wear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks