Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:23   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

That looks like an M12 bolt!

I am wondering if some miscreant did it on purpose since it is very hard for a bolt with a non-tapered shank to pierce through the tire and go all the way inside the tire as if it was properly fastened using a spanner.

That Michelin inflator looks very nice!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:58   #227
Senior - BHPian

Debuda it would be nice if you can write a short review about the Michelin pump.
It looks cute.

Thanks in advance.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:55   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That looks like an M12 bolt!

I am wondering if some miscreant did it on purpose since it is very hard for a bolt with a non-tapered shank to pierce through the tire and go all the way inside the tire as if it was properly fastened using a spanner.

That Michelin inflator looks very nice!
It's a 13 mm (head size) bolt with a length of 50 mm (2 inches). In all probability the bolt got in accidentally as it would be almost impossible for a miscreant to insert it manually in a fully inflated tyre. Of course, a miscreant could have placed such a bolt snugly between the tyre and road at an angle when the car was parked and the bolt could have gone in under the weight of the car when it was put in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Debuda it would be nice if you can write a short review about the Michelin pump.
It looks cute.
The inflator is called "Michelin High-power Rapid Tyre Inflator". I received it as a gift from a relative in the U.K. When you connect the hose to the tyre valve (with a very practical threaded connector) and plug in (12V) the inflator, the tyre pressure is displayed digitally. Thereafter, one can set the desired pressure and start the pump -- it stops automatically once the desired pressure is reached.

The inflator has 4 bright LED's to illuminate the tyre valve in case one needs to use it at night.

The threaded connector has a built-in deflation bleed valve.
debuda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:03   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
To tell you the truth, I've been neglecting my XUV and 'straying' a bit of late! Recently drove (several cars, mostly a Mercedes ML320) around 9,500 KM in USA and going to Delhi after a few days to drive a Duster to Himachal Pradesh along with a friend.

Might drive my XUV to Shantiniketan and Parasnath next month after returning from the Duster trip.
I am looking to upgrade our Ford Fusion to a SUV(preowned!) in 6 -12 months. Projected running will be low so I am ok with a Petrol vehicle. However I am open to diesels if the pricing is right.

Usage would be 2 trips a month for 10-50 kms & 2-4 trips of 2500-3500 kms each every year. Rest of the time the vehicle would basically be idle. In such a scenario do you feel that the turbo or the basic diesel engine may give problems?
Old 5th April 2014, 07:25   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I am looking to upgrade our Ford Fusion to a SUV(preowned!) in 6 -12 months. Projected running will be low so I am ok with a Petrol vehicle. However I am open to diesels if the pricing is right.

Usage would be 2 trips a month for 10-50 kms & 2-4 trips of 2500-3500 kms each every year. Rest of the time the vehicle would basically be idle. In such a scenario do you feel that the turbo or the basic diesel engine may give problems?
Remaining idle for prolonged periods causes no harm to either diesel or petrol engines. Battery might get discharged if car is not used much but it can always be charged with an external charger.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 12:04   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

Since the DIY repairs I have driven my XUV about 400 km (including a drive on the highway from Jamshedpur to Ranchi and back, a distance of about 250 KM) and there is no loss of pressure. The best part of the operation was that the wheel did not require to be removed and everything was done in situ.

I subsequently discovered that repair kits are available much cheaper online.
Sir, I wont recommend the temporary puncture kit based on my previous experiences. This temporary kit didn't last for long and ended up damaging the tyre on my swift.

I prefer mushroom puncture which is cleaner and properly sealed with same rubber material . You can't even find a trace of the puncture area once sealed. Also im fortunate to have reputed tyre/alignment shop closer to my home who does mushroom puncture.

FYI, I found this forum discussion on filler type (temporary) and plug and patch (mushroom).
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Why-p...008.S.83785059

Last edited by kiranvakati : 24th April 2014 at 12:11. Reason: Added link
kiranvakati is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 12:21   #232
BHPian

Dear Debuda,

I read your thread & one more travelogue and really enjoyed it as well as got lot of information for my XUV.

As with many of the XUVs, ours as well had long list of problems, some of them could be taken care by reading your threads. Thanx.

At present, we are looking to replace the problematic music system under warranty.

My XUV is largely driven in Jharkhand (Bokaro regions). Off late road are the problem in Jharkhand and we feel that Scorpio would have been a better choice.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 08:01   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
My XUV is largely driven in Jharkhand (Bokaro regions). Off late road are the problem in Jharkhand and we feel that Scorpio would have been a better choice.
I too am based in Jharkhand and one of the reasons why I bought a XUV is the terrible condition of roads here. I have been quite satisfied with the performance of my XUV on broken and cratered roads (the stretch of NH33 between Jamshedpur and Bahragora is horrible, and I have used my XUV there many times).

Why do you think that Scorpio would have been better? It has much higher body roll which adds to the agony on cratered roads.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:09   #234
BHPian

Dear Debuda,

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

We had Scorpio before XUV at Bokaro.
On Bokaro-Dhanbad or Bokaro-Jamshedpur via Purulia, we found Scorpio eating the potholes better than the XUV.
While we love the acceleration and pick-up of XUV, we had problem with XUV bottoming down while coming out of deep & one sided pot-holes.

Body Roll of XUV is definitely minimal and best suited at high speed lane change or overtaking.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 12:55   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
We had Scorpio before XUV at Bokaro.
On Bokaro-Dhanbad or Bokaro-Jamshedpur via Purulia, we found Scorpio eating the potholes better than the XUV.
While we love the acceleration and pick-up of XUV, we had problem with XUV bottoming down while coming out of deep & one sided pot-holes.

Body Roll of XUV is definitely minimal and best suited at high speed lane change or overtaking.
IMHO, most suspension systems require a certain amount of 'running in'. I found my XUV's suspension significantly better after driving for about 10,000 KM which included some very bad roads.
Old 26th April 2014, 15:17   #236
BHPian

Noticed one thing that the height of my W4 is more than other XUVs standing there and the difference is quite visible . I have asked the guys around there but did not get any convincing answer . they were just guessing may be because of shockers height or break pad thickness .

I have tried to get it clarified from RM but he is unaware instead said that W4 should be less in height .

Personally I like with low height and feel the XUV lack aggression with more height.

Any idea
Old 28th April 2014, 20:53   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virender View Post
Noticed one thing that the height of my W4 is more than other XUVs standing there and the difference is quite visible . I have asked the guys around there but did not get any convincing answer . they were just guessing may be because of shockers height or break pad thickness .

I have tried to get it clarified from RM but he is unaware instead said that W4 should be less in height .

Personally I like with low height and feel the XUV lack aggression with more height.

Any idea
To the best of my knowledge, the dimensions of W4, W6 and W8 are completely identical. They have the same monocoque body and suspension.
Old 30th April 2014, 21:16   #238

Hey Debuda - I have read most of your pages on the XUV. I am currently contemplating buying a XUV500. Your thread has been very useful.

Do you think the additional features in W8 (Curtain Airbags, Hill Assist, Stability etc) add a lot of value to justify the almost Rs 3 lakh difference.

I intend to drive in the city with about 2-3 long trips (1000 km+) each year.
Old 30th April 2014, 22:39   #239
BHPian

The Michelin air pump is worth considering. Can you please share information about the price and availability of that pump ? Does it draw power from the mains or from the cigarette lighter socket?
BTW congrats on your 20k milestone and wishing you lakhs of trouble free driving.
Old 30th April 2014, 23:23   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneguy View Post
Hey Debuda - I have read most of your pages on the XUV. I am currently contemplating buying a XUV500. Your thread has been very useful.

Do you think the additional features in W8 (Curtain Airbags, Hill Assist, Stability etc) add a lot of value to justify the almost Rs 3 lakh difference.

I intend to drive in the city with about 2-3 long trips (1000 km+) each year.
Personally, I think the W6 gives the best value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
The Michelin air pump is worth considering. Can you please share information about the price and availability of that pump ? Does it draw power from the mains or from the cigarette lighter socket?
BTW congrats on your 20k milestone and wishing you lakhs of trouble free driving.
The Michelin inflator is powered from the cigarette lighter socket. Its price and availability may be checked online. I got it as a gift.

Most Viewed